Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HWY Shoulder Legal Question

Gold Member

Re: HWY Shoulder Legal Question

Quote Originally Posted by UHATEIT View Post
    I'm not trying to be rude Townie but you are getting very worked up and reading too far into what he said. I don't see him being rude or calling you out on anything. I am from California as well and dont take any offense to anything even if it is directed to say no one else in the thread has California driving experience but I didn't read it as that's what he was doing. Maybe I'm not reading enough into it to try and find something negative in what he says.
    No no no. I've watched for years how people will carefully word things so to say something but not say it. Its what he was doing. Its why I pulled the fifty questions on him.

Just wanted to get the door open enough to slam him with it.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    No no no. I've watched for years how people will carefully word things so to say something but not say it. Its what he was doing. Its why I pulled the fifty questions on him.

Just wanted to get the door open enough to slam him with it.
    I don't think the world revolves around you like you seem to think so I made a general statement. I don't happen to know everyones riding background so instead of calling specific people out I said what I said. You got butthurt because you thought it applied to you. Hence my first sentence in this post. I rode I80 and B80 back and forth to work for years and lane splitting cut my commute each way from an hour down to about 15-20 mins. That is significant. My whole point of my post was people that haven't done it don't understand it and shouldn't be trying to keep experienced people from doing it. You appear to be one of those. It is safe if done correctly. The argument that squids will do it wrong and in a stupid manner could apply to all riding so based on that argument I guess we should just not allow people to ride at all. Problem solved. You as a rider should be on the side of riders not against them. I question your loyalties.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by 07D675CO View Post
    I don't think the world revolves around you like you seem to think so I made a general statement. I don't happen to know everyones riding background so instead of calling specific people out I said what I said. You got butthurt because you thought it applied to you. Hence my first sentence in this post. I rode I80 and B80 back and forth to work for years and lane splitting cut my commute each way from an hour down to about 15-20 mins. That is significant. My whole point of my post was people that haven't done it don't understand it and shouldn't be trying to keep experienced people from doing it. You appear to be one of those. It is safe if done correctly. The argument that squids will do it wrong and in a stupid manner could apply to all riding so based on that argument I guess we should just not allow people to ride at all. Problem solved. You as a rider should be on the side of riders not against them. I question your loyalties.
    My loyalties? Blaaahahahaha. And butthurt? You're a little too new to know anything. You got baited and called out on it. First off stop making things sound worse.

You may have traveled 80 a few times but your idea that it comes to this screeching vault is laughable. In Berkeley it gets backed up a bit for a min but nothing major.

My loyalties.... Blaaahahaha. To who? You?? Random fuck bags that ride around in shorts and tank tops? Blaaahahaha. Yeah no.

Senior Member Moderator

My whole point of my post was people that haven't done it don't understand it and shouldn't be trying to keep experienced people from doing it.
    In contrast, some of us have been riding in Colorado for many years, and some, like myself, for less than a few. I can bet the odds are pretty high that most of us can recount an instance where drivers have gone out of their way to be more than a mere nuisance to us. I've had vehicles swerve at me while trying to pass them, and I was in a completely different lane. I wouldn't even dare count the number of times I've dealt with distracted drivers, and that problem continues to worsen. I've had cops called on me for passing a line of traffic in a legal, and safe, place to do so. Others here have had drivers try to chase/run them down. So I have a hard time believing lane-splitting in CO would be any safer than the existing nonsense we already have to deal with and would be hesitant to support any current initiative to legalize it. Frankly, there are greater safety concerns (like helmet laws) that deserve more attention.
    Last edited by Drano; Fri Aug 22nd, 2014 at 09:43 PM.

Interesting reading about Lane Splitting in CA.

http://www.ots.ca.gov/pdf/Publicatio...tingReport.pdf

“What we learned is, if you lane-split in a safe or prudent manner, it is no more dangerous than motorcycling in any other circumstance,” Office of Traffic Safety spokesman Chris Cochran said. “If you are speeding or have a wide speed differential (with other traffic), that is where the fatalities came about.”

Which is exactly what I said.
    2010 Ducati Hypermotard 796

Gold Member

Interesting reading about Lane Splitting in CA.

http://www.ots.ca.gov/pdf/Publicatio...tingReport.pdf

“What we learned is, if you lane-split in a safe or prudent manner, it is no more dangerous than motorcycling in any other circumstance,” Office of Traffic Safety spokesman Chris Cochran said. “If you are speeding or have a wide speed differential (with other traffic), that is where the fatalities came about.”

Which is exactly what I said.
    And yet you clearly want to ignore the fact that if it were to be randomly implemented into co you would have a shock/rage value. Even in California there is a rage point where people snap and do stupid things like open car doors. And from the last thing I read about all this the rider is always found at fault in a lane splitting accident.

Lane splitting is 90% of the time never done safely or maturely. Too many squids that the general public already lumps riders as a whole with.

Lane splitting would be a powderkeg of issues for Colorado. Just for the simple fact cars wouldnt be looking for riders splitting after years of no splitting.

You have to remember life isn't black and white and just because something "seems" to work one place doesn't mean it will in others.

Townie is right there would definitely be those issues. I'm not afraid to admit in heavy traffic I have been know to safely split lanes. I do it safely and courteously, but I'm a California kid, that's where I grew up, so that's how I ride. I haven't had any problems with rage, but mostly that's because by the time someone sees me and gets pissed, I'm already a few car lengths ahead and there's nothing they can do.

CA is more progressive, and they actually base things on study results. A good example is cop car lighting. Notice how every year CSP puts more lights on their cars and make them flash faster and crazier? The new Chargers gave 2 full lightbars out back! Anyways, California has determined that the most effective lighting to the rear uses a single light bar, with only blue/yellow lights, that flash very slowly if even at all.

And yet you clearly want to ignore the fact that if it were to be randomly implemented into co you would have a shock/rage value. Even in California there is a rage point where people snap and do stupid things like open car doors. And from the last thing I read about all this the rider is always found at fault in a lane splitting accident.

Lane splitting is 90% of the time never done safely or maturely. Too many squids that the general public already lumps riders as a whole with.

Lane splitting would be a powderkeg of issues for Colorado. Just for the simple fact cars wouldnt be looking for riders splitting after years of no splitting.

You have to remember life isn't black and white and just because something "seems" to work one place doesn't mean it will in others.
    I am not ignoring anything. While the rider is the more responsible party it is illegal to open ones door to traffic per statutes. If someone opens a door in front of a motorcycle that isn't going to be the fault of the motorcyclist. And that person in the car could very well be charged criminally for the intention. Lane splitting is done by some in a less than safe manner but that should not stop the rest of us responsible people from doing it. Read the statistics. They speak for themselves.

We have had this argument. As for CO drivers not being aware, as Aaron said you are past them before they realize it. I have lane split here and did not have a problem with all these "unaware" cagers. Frankly if the stupid ones die, it really isn't a hit to society. It is called natural selection. I still do not understand why you are so opinionated about something that is taking place in a state you don't live in.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Townie is right there would definitely be those issues. I'm not afraid to admit in heavy traffic I have been know to safely split lanes. I do it safely and courteously, but I'm a California kid, that's where I grew up, so that's how I ride. I haven't had any problems with rage, but mostly that's because by the time someone sees me and gets pissed, I'm already a few car lengths ahead and there's nothing they can do.

CA is more progressive, and they actually base things on study results. A good example is cop car lighting. Notice how every year CSP puts more lights on their cars and make them flash faster and crazier? The new Chargers gave 2 full lightbars out back! Anyways, California has determined that the most effective lighting to the rear uses a single light bar, with only blue/yellow lights, that flash very slowly if even at all.
    Who needs stats when you have a gut...... As for the lights I have to agree. I feel like I just dropped E listening to rave music when I see the police cars here. JFC.

Travelling to other countries helps put a little perspective on how conservative we are here. In China, each lane is shared by a 1.5 cars, three scooters and a bicyclist , all of which are moving at different speeds and directions. Its really impressive when you think about the amount of miles traveled. But here, each car has to be given twice its width just to make sure we don't bang into each other.

Having ridden in (stop and go) CA traffic, I see the benefits of it and am in heavy favor under the guidelines that CA produced (speeds at which it is legal, sides of the lane to use, and so forth).
    Owner and General Manager - Fun Center Cycles in Durango, CO

11 BMW S1000RR - Street - Lady on the street
    13 Kawi ZX6R - Track - Freak in the bed
    13 Triumph Daytona 675R - Wifes bike

2014 MRA 400 Production Class Champion

Here's my little story. My mom and I (separate bikes) were cruising towards i25 and were going to pass over it. I ended up hitting the first light and she went forward and hit the second light. While I was at the first light, traffic piled in behind my mom. My light went green and I decided to go slow to the red light my mother was at because I was going to lane split the stopped traffic to get right next to her. Well there was a lady in a tiny chevy sedan that was right next to me at the first light and sped up to the second light before I got to lane split. I proceed to lane split and get honked at by this random woman. I was no way endangering her or anyone else. I was next to my mother and once the light went green, the lady managed to speed around the cars and get right next to us. We ended up hitting a third light, my mother and I in the right lane and the lady in the left lane. The road ahead of us went from 2 to 1..

And guess what happened.. My mother being a bad ass, wasn't going to let this bat get ahead of her. So the light went green and she floored it, and little did I know, the crazy lady did too!! My mom's 103CI motor whooped the lady. But now she was being tailgated like shes doing 20 under the limit. The lady actually used the small shoulder next my mom and sped around her! Her car was in the dirt going 60+mph speeding around a cruiser..

She was fucking crazy and about 40 years old. Take from that what you will
    06 GSXR 750

Gold Member

Hahahaha California and its "studies". That state is so backassward its not even funny. But hey they have to justify all those taxes right? Lol.

But tell you what go ahead and bring lane splitting there. Go ahead and cry when some raged out retard opens the door and pulls in front of you. IF!! your still alive you can enjoy the he said she said fight.

Not saying the driver wouldn't get into trouble I'm saying the cost to be right would be too high in my book.

People just suck. Why are Americans so full of rage? There is a discussion on facebook about lane splitting right now and there are so many people who vow they will open their door or merge into you and put you in the dirt if you're lane splitting.

Why can they drive in such shitshows like in China and India, the Autobahn works so effectively in Germany, but out here people get so raged up if you go faster than them. No wonder we have so murders in this country, people just hate their life. Do we blame Eminem, or divorce? Hate to bring race into this, but is it just me or are the road ragers almost always caucasian? Same with serial killers. wtf

Present: 2006 GSXR 750 (black/yellow), 2006 Yamaha R6r (blue)
    Sold: 2011 Ninja 250 (green/black), 2007 R6s (blue)

Quote Originally Posted by GMR View Post
    People just suck. Why are Americans so full of rage? There is a discussion on facebook about lane splitting right now and there are so many people who vow they will open their door or merge into you and put you in the dirt if you're lane splitting.

Why can they drive in such shitshows like in China and India, the Autobahn works so effectively in Germany, but out here people get so raged up if you go faster than them. No wonder we have so murders in this country, people just hate their life. Do we blame Eminem, or divorce? Hate to bring race into this, but is it just me or are the road ragers almost always caucasian? Same with serial killers. wtf
    People here just can't have someone else do their own thing. They think they are somehow getting left behind. It really is sad. You watch these videos from Oz and Britain and people don't give a second glance to people lane splitting and going around cars that I wouldn't attempt here. America is just a sad sad country quite frankly.

Edit: And yes the white people need to take a chill pill...or more of them because they are wound up tighter than 2 year old.
    Last edited by 07D675CO; Wed Oct 29th, 2014 at 11:49 AM.

Hahahaha California and its "studies". That state is so backassward its not even funny. But hey they have to justify all those taxes right? Lol.

But tell you what go ahead and bring lane splitting there. Go ahead and cry when some raged out retard opens the door and pulls in front of you. IF!! your still alive you can enjoy the he said she said fight.

Not saying the driver wouldn't get into trouble I'm saying the cost to be right would be too high in my book.
    None of that would be your problem would it? And people can talk crap all they want. They wouldn't do it and I wouldn't be caught by it because I pay attention while riding. There would be no he said she said, the facts would pretty clearly show what happened along with the video from my go pro. As I posed in another post people talk a lot of crap on the Internet or to their friends but when it really came down to it they won't do it.

Edit: Post number 69 woot woot.

Quote Originally Posted by GMR View Post

Because since kids we had the "no cutting rule" which is why people rage about it.

EDIT: I also believe that you should always pass on the persons passenger side, just to avoid the driver being able to easily open the door.
    Last edited by Skitz; Wed Oct 29th, 2014 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skitz View Post
    Because since kids we had the "no cutting rule" which is why people rage about it.

EDIT: I also believe that you should always pass on the persons passenger side, just to avoid the driver being able to easily open the door.
    People in other countries say Britain are taught these same things, yet they don't go ape shit when people lane split there. In fact they move over. So I don't think that is necessarily the reason.

I think it is because people here are suddenly tough guys inside their cars! My guess is because they know if shit goes down they can always drive away.

I just had some guy that was driving crazy and almost hit me so I honked at him. He got all pissed and started yelling at me and actually followed me all the way home. As soon as I got out of my car and he realized I was way bigger than him and ready to throw down, he suddenly became all apologetic and said he thought I told him to follow me.... Yeah right guy was super tough until shit got real. See it over and over here; people are just tough guys in their vehicles....even down to old ladies flipping people off.

95% of people that say they would hit a lane spliter are just talking out their asses....and if they did they would never confront a person face to face...got to have that cage protection.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

I'm no small kid, and can certainly defend myself, but you'd be amazed how few people are tough when I open carry. It has so much of an impact that I pretty much open carry whenever I ride.

I did some discreet shoulder riding on Hwy 93 out of Boulder on Thursday afternoon. Couple right turn lanes helped with the discreet part. No one seemed to get upset, but not likely I made any friends.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

From Youngsfield to Wads last Friday I did the whole lane split thing. Kept it under 20 and nobody honked, pulled a gun, opened their door, or cut me off. I wouldn't ride the shoulder around here just because there is tons of shit that could make quick work of my tires.
    Would it be nice if lane splitting was legal? Yes. Realistically though this isn't a massive City with traffic jams 24/7. I think we will mostly get away with being smart, cautious, and less than obnoxious while we are doing things that are less than legal.
    IMHO

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I'm no small kid, and can certainly defend myself, but you'd be amazed how few people are tough when I open carry. It has so much of an impact that I pretty much open carry whenever I ride.

Funny... I feel the same way and I never even carried while doing repo. Lol.

Yeah people are dumb ass fuck in this country when it comes to cars. Just look at the way people merge. I will post a video next week sometime of a epic incident.

I've ridden a few times on the shoulder (25 NB, 25 SB, 70 EB, and 225 NB) when things come to an absolute stop. Three times were due to an approaching rain storms I wanted to try and get myself moving to avoid them and one of them still caught up with me. I was riding the 225 SB to work the other day and a blue R6 came screaming down the right shoulder due to stupidly slow traffic. I would hope that if I do it I just don't get pulled over, tho in this thread someone did mention trying it on 225 and getting pulled over and the cop actually gave him a ticket
    2005 Suzuki SV650s Blue (SOLD), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636 Lime Green

People in other countries say Britain are taught these same things, yet they don't go ape shit when people lane split there. In fact they move over. So I don't think that is necessarily the reason.
    But they're proper. We no comprahand g00d.

Funny... I feel the same way and I never even carried while doing repo. Lol.
    Yeah people are dumb ass fuck in this country when it comes to cars. Just look at the way people merge. I will post a video next week sometime of a epic incident.
    That's it. I'm going to carry a shotty on my back, and my XD under my armpit.