Thread: Cigarette Smoke smell out of leather and textile jackets

Cigarette Smoke smell out of leather and textile jackets

I purchase a used leather jacket and textile jacket off ebay for a good price. I did notice that the leather one has a bit of smoke smell but the textile jacket completely reeks of cigarettes.

I have searched online and one method that has received good reviews is the tennis ball method. In this method you put your jacket (textile or leather) in the dryer on either very low or just straightr air mode for 25 minutes with 6 dryer sheets and 3 new tennis balls. Supposedly the tennis balls absorb all the smoke and the dryer sheets make the jacket smell fresh.

Has anyone ever tried this method and gotten it to work? Also with both jackets there are stitched words on the jacket I would be worried about them melting or peeling, has that happened to anyone who has ever tried to dry their jacket in the dryer (on air mode)? Looking for some local opinions before I try this method out tonight and ruin the jacket lettering.

leaving the jacket outside for a few days has done nothing, also Febreeze only masks the smell until it comes back when the febreeze evaporates. I did also see mention of vodka and water mix that evaporates the smell quicker but I think that is for interior of the jacket and not able to be used on the leather or textile exterior.
    2005 Suzuki SV650s Blue (SOLD), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636 Lime Green

Chocolate Thunder

Re: Cigarette Smoke smell out of leather and textile jackets

Smoke some MJ and it wont smell like cigerettes anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Drama2 View Post
    Smoke some MJ and it wont smell like cigerettes anymore.

Good idea Like spraying it with the vodka I mentioned, then I'll smell like a drunk ass when I ride

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Throw the jacket into the dryer with some dryer sheets and a damp towel.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    Throw the jacket into the dryer with some dryer sheets and a damp towel.

Will that work for both textile and leather jackets? The textile one smells so bad ansd could probably use a washing anyways. I may try to do the textile washing while i put the leather in the dryer on air mode

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

I wouldn't do the above with a leather jacket, only the textile. Unless of course it has particular instructions, not to..
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Take the armor out of the textile jacket and wash it by hand with dish soap in the kitchen sink or bath tub. Hang to air dry. Leather needs to be cleaned by a professional leather cleaning service.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

I ended up trying the dryer trick for the leather jacket. I threw in 3 tennis balls and 6 dryer sheets into the dryer on delicate cycle with just straight air mode for 45 minutes. Jacket came out nice and fresh, the cigarette smell is slightly there ut minimal, moreso on the inside of the linner (there is no zip out) and thats probably because I did not turn it inside out.

For the Joe Rocket textile I hand washed it to get the dirt out then put the jacket in the washr on hand wash cycle with a little bit of soap (had no clue how much was too much or too little for 1 jacket) and let it go. All the patches are clean and perfect, the sharp edges on the vinyl leather lettering are all fine as well. I then hung dry it outwide in the wind for a couple hours. Then threw it in the dryer with a few dryer sheets and tennis balls again on delicate and air dry only. Now it seems to smell pretty good. There is still some cigarette smell on it but it appears minimal but will see if the scents from the wahser and the dryer sheets fade over time and if the smell comes back or not.

In A Land Far Far Far Away Lifetime Supporter

A couple rain rides you will be golden 😁