Thread: Being prepared for solar storms

Being prepared for solar storms

http://news.yahoo.com/earth-survived...222404357.html

Basically, scientists are revealing that this time last year, a solar storm narrowly missed the earth but they are saying it would have been 2x as bad as what hid Quebec.

I find it interesting to hear this, only a couple days after hearing a statistic that something like only 35% of people my age (do or do not, I apologize for the vast margin of error), invest in the stock market. Far more people my age believe in holding cash than stocks than previous generations. I think it makes sense because we are terrified of how reliant the developed world is on technology, and if something like this hits, most of us are screwed.

This seemed like a relevant discussion for this forum because I, like many on here, hoard guns and ammunition not because I think I need it for every day home defense, but more so for events like this where they will become some of the most valuable assets you can own. It sure paid off when I bought a bunch before Obama took office and the price of some guns and ammunition skyrocketed...

Also, is there anybody on here who shares the same worries? I'm mostly curious if anybody on here makes a point to keep an older carbeurated vehicle around instead of fuel injected because wouldn't they be less vulnerable to these events?

Present: 2006 GSXR 750 (black/yellow), 2006 Yamaha R6r (blue)
    Sold: 2011 Ninja 250 (green/black), 2007 R6s (blue)

Re: Being prepared for solar storms

A high X-class storm will wreak havoc on all the electronics that most people rely on. People that are prepared will make it through comfortably, those that aren't, not so much. At a minimum, heat, a way to prepare food, transportation, and clean water. A "72 hour kit" is a great idea.

To answer your question, a carbed bike with kickstart and points would be less likely than a modern bike to experience serious damage.
    Last edited by TFOGGuys; Thu Jul 24th, 2014 at 08:05 PM.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Quote Originally Posted by GMR View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/earth-survived...222404357.html

Basically, scientists are revealing that this time last year, a solar storm narrowly missed the earth but they are saying it would have been 2x as bad as what hid Quebec.

I find it interesting to hear this, only a couple days after hearing a statistic that something like only 35% of people my age (do or do not, I apologize for the vast margin of error), invest in the stock market. Far more people my age believe in holding cash than stocks than previous generations. I think it makes sense because we are terrified of how reliant the developed world is on technology, and if something like this hits, most of us are screwed.

This seemed like a relevant discussion for this forum because I, like many on here, hoard guns and ammunition not because I think I need it for every day home defense, but more so for events like this where they will become some of the most valuable assets you can own. It sure paid off when I bought a bunch before Obama took office and the price of some guns and ammunition skyrocketed...

Also, is there anybody on here who shares the same worries? I'm mostly curious if anybody on here makes a point to keep an older carbeurated vehicle around instead of fuel injected because wouldn't they be less vulnerable to these events?
    Don't you know? The Universe is trying to kill us!

So... basically your one of those doomsday preparers and you're looking forward to the apocalypse?

So a coronal mass ejection (CME) can cause major damage to the power grid but not quiet to the apocolyptic level where governments around the world collapse. A worst case CME like the one in the late 1800s which allowed the telegraphs to function despite not being plugged into any power source would damage North America or Europe but full recovery could be expected within 10 years.
    Last edited by Clovis; Thu Jul 24th, 2014 at 08:46 PM.
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    Don't you know? The Universe is trying to kill us!

So... basically your one of those doomsday preparers and you're looking forward to the apocalypse?

So a coronal mass ejection (CME) can cause major damage to the power grid but not quiet to the apocolyptic level where governments around the world collapse. A worst case CME like the one in the late 1800s which allowed the telegraphs to function despite not being plugged into any power source would damage North America or Europe but full recovery could be expected within 10 years.

People lose their shit when the power goes out for a few hours, and you're talking about YEARS to rebuild the grid? Damn rioght people are going to be eating each other within days...
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

I said years for FULL recovery
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    A high X-class storm will wreak havoc on all the electronics that most people rely on. People that are prepared will make it through comfortably, those that aren't, not so much. At a minimum, heat, a way to prepare food, transportation, and clean water. A "72 hour kit" is a great idea.

To answer your question, a carbed bike with kickstart and points would be less likely than a modern bike to experience serious damage.
    Exactly what I was getting at. I was thinking more about ECU's on all the modern day vehicles getting scrambled. I know we can survive without technology, I love being able to turn my phone off and leave it behind, but wouldn't transportation take a major hit?
    Is it reasonable to assume ECU's are the weak point of a vehicle when events like this happen?

Present: 2006 GSXR 750 (black/yellow), 2006 Yamaha R6r (blue)
    Sold: 2011 Ninja 250 (green/black), 2007 R6s (blue)

Quote Originally Posted by GMR View Post
    Exactly what I was getting at. I was thinking more about ECU's on all the modern day vehicles getting scrambled. I know we can survive without technology, I love being able to turn my phone off and leave it behind, but wouldn't transportation take a major hit?
    Is it reasonable to assume ECU's are the weak point of a vehicle when events like this happen?
    The damage would come from power surges induced in lengths of wire by strong magnetic fields (think stators, electronic ignition pickups, ignition coils, etcetera). That's what set fire to the telegraph wires during the Carrington Event in 1859, and caused the Quebec blackout in 1989.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Neil Degrasse Tyson was on a talk show the other night, and explained how close this last "near miss" was, as a practical matter. In short it wasn't close, but damn that guy is both funny and genius. Try to find his appearance on Real Time, if you'd like to watch it.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson