Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any top speed thrill seekers here?

Re: Any top speed thrill seekers here?

Quote Originally Posted by j0ker View Post
    That was with GPS. I have a few mods on my 14, but back in Kansas it was running 185 stock.
    Ya most new liter bikes should be able to hit the 186mph stock limiter given enough room.

You down to do some more runs like that?

Gold Member

I'd recommend taking this conversation to pm if it goes further. Just to be discrete.

It's hard to get the speed here at altitude.
    My 02 we did a couple runs on a deserted road near Four Corners and got 176.4 gps on the limiter. Still close to 5000 ft altitude there.

For reference, mine has 30K miles, Hindle exhaust (not the step tube), BMC filters, PCIIIUSB, -1/+1 on a 190/50 tire.
    I've seen 181 with the same gearing and a 190/55 tire.

One day I plan to set up my 2000 model for top end... just too many other projects right now.
    2000 Zx-12R; 2007 GSXR 600 (bosses bike)
    2016 BMW R1200RS Granite FOG ride
    09 G8GT, 02 WJ

Lurch good to see ya post. What area you in? Did that map I send ya work out ok?

I plan to do some gps testing soon. I'll post up my results.

Right now I am at work in Spain; live in Lake George
    Your map was a bit off for my 02, but I haven't made time to try it on my 00. I have a datalogger on it anyhow.. again need to make time to play with it.
    2000 Zx-12R; 2007 GSXR 600 (bosses bike)
    2016 BMW R1200RS Granite FOG ride
    09 G8GT, 02 WJ

Quote Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
    It's hard to get the speed here at altitude.
    My 02 we did a couple runs on a deserted road near Four Corners and got 176.4 gps on the limiter. Still close to 5000 ft altitude there.

For reference, mine has 30K miles, Hindle exhaust (not the step tube), BMC filters, PCIIIUSB, -1/+1 on a 190/50 tire.
    I've seen 181 with the same gearing and a 190/55 tire.

One day I plan to set up my 2000 model for top end... just too many other projects right now.
    Well Lurch you were right on.... She hit 184mph on the limiter in 5th, shift to 6th and it just sits there at 11k and won't pull any harder. I managed 185mph in 6th and that's it. Stock gearing. I need to get my sea level HP back (i.e. add nitrous), or maybe go +1 in the rear. 5800ft elevation at the spot I tested at.

Quote Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
    Right now I am at work in Spain; live in Lake George
    Your map was a bit off for my 02, but I haven't made time to try it on my 00. I have a datalogger on it anyhow.. again need to make time to play with it.
    I've been working on my map now that I'm back. I can share my latest edit if you want.

I don't think sprockets will do anything for you. Isn't 11k right at peak power output?

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I don't think sprockets will do anything for you. Isn't 11k right at peak power output?
    It was 11k indicated, which is like 10 something actual. They run best as high as you can take them, which is like 12,200 indicated (11,600 actual). My quickest ET and fastest MPH has always been running it basically to red line each gear. Common mod is extend the revs to 12,500 (actual) but then it's highly recommended you do heavy duty valve springs to prevent valve float at that high of RPM.

I'm going to remove the OEM mirrors and lower the bike, and try a different seat position. A LSR guru I know thinks that will be good for 4-5mph... we'll see....

I'm not surprised that helps your 1/4mi trap and e/t, bease it lands you higher in the next gear, and you're making more power past redline than you are in the next gear. However in top speed, you want your top speed to be at your peak power rpm, otherwise you have slightly more in it.

I hit 95 on my Ninja 250. It was up a slight incline and granted it was up at altitude, so not sure if I really had it topped or not...

honestly, that felt scarier than anything I've done on my R6. To top a 250, you have a lot of time to think how shitty it would be if something went wrong while it slowly gains another MPH. A standard sport bike hits 160-180 before you have time to think about it really

Present: 2006 GSXR 750 (black/yellow), 2006 Yamaha R6r (blue)
    Sold: 2011 Ninja 250 (green/black), 2007 R6s (blue)

Bump?

So besides Aaron the cop, anyone have a legit bike that you want to test this year? I'm going for 190 on motor, then 195 atleast on spray.

I'd like to test mine, serious, but it'd have to be somewhere legal.

I did once. Then the civic that started walking me past 140, blew his engine right in front of me.

I'm good.
    06 GSXR 750

Quote Originally Posted by Ph03niX View Post
    I did once. Then the civic that started walking me past 140, blew his engine right in front of me.

I'm good.
    You had a Civic start walking past you at 140mph?? Was this on your 750? If so, just sell your bike now.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

I'd like to test mine, serious, but it'd have to be somewhere legal.
    I am seriously planning a trip to Wilmington Ohio this year to run their 1 mile. They are having a bike shootout towards the end of September, which is the one I'm probably going to try and make. If interested, I have a SUV that could pull a trailer with two bikes in it. Just need to borrow/rent a trailer (or I might have bought one by then). I was going to post once it got a little closer, but I'm willing to invite someone along if you want to split gas 50/50.

Senior Member Moderator

There's also the Mojave Mile in CA on April 11-12.
    http://www.mojavemile.com/index.php

Ya, for nice pavement races, there is:

Wilmington Ohio that does 1 mile
    Loring Maine that does 1mile and 1.5 mile
    Mojave California that does 1 mile and 1.5 mile
    Beeville Texas that does 1 mile

The Texas Mile (Beeville) only has one event scheduled for this year so far, and they have admitted they are searching to find a new track insurer. I think they are having some difficulties in that.

The Mojave Mile has their spring event scheduled but they admit the chances of another event in the year is not likely. Also, their track is at like 2500ft IIRC, so you'll be disadvantaged some if you are chasing a certain speed goal.

Loring has multiple races this year, and often produce some of the fastest times in land speed racing do to their awesome air density in the fall (and now with a spring race this year). The only problem with that location is it's 31 hours one way from Colorado Springs.

Wilmington Ohio also does numerous races, it's ran by the East Coast Timing Association which ran the now defunct Maxton Mile, so they have years of experience in doing these races. The race they are doing in September with the Bike Shootout is a seperate, fun class made for street legal bikes. You can chase a standing record and at the same time try to win your class of bikes that showed up that weekend battling it out for the recognition (and trophy) of being the class winner that year. Plus, Wilmington is only 17hours from CO Springs.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    You had a Civic start walking past you at 140mph?? Was this on your 750? If so, just sell your bike now.

Civics are the original rice tuners and get up into the 500HP range in those little cars.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYytlxCQmOA
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Plus car's are vastly superior in aerodynamics. The 750 is probably just about done come 165, and my Jeep will do that on the top end. Up to 130 though, my Jeep wouldn't stand a chance, the bike would walk me like I'm standing still.

Plus car's are vastly superior in aerodynamics. The 750 is probably just about done come 165, and my Jeep will do that on the top end. Up to 130 though, my Jeep wouldn't stand a chance, the bike would walk me like I'm standing still.
    Yeah a car can normally have a higher top end than most sportbikes. I agree and has lot to do with aerodynamics; going 120 in a car seems like going 90, but in a bike 120mph you better be tucked in and under your windshield as the bike gets squirrly if you sit up at those speeds

I actually learned this the hard way that any car can be fast. I was in a modded Eclipse (not too fast) but this Civic that looked all ghetto pulled up to me and was wanting to race. We both took off and I killed him for a minute, but all of a sudden his turbo kicked in and he flew by me like a sportbike would. Come to find out Civics are known to be modded with huge turbos so the lag sucks, but when it kicks in it is like they have NOS. I'll never underestimate a Honda Civic again. Basically any car can be modded to be super fast as my buddy had a VW bug with a Porsche turbo engine and we would go around challenging Mustangs and Camaros and beat them....thing would wheelie when it took off.

Like this one; pause at about 0:18 and you can see the massive turbo in this tiny car https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc_DIuk_-2c
    Last edited by bulldog; Wed Feb 4th, 2015 at 12:05 PM.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Weather is getting nice. Who wants to play?

Board Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs View Post
    Weather is getting nice. Who wants to play?
    I get back to the states in 33 days, I'm going to ride every day, hit me up

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoGK View Post
    I get back to the states in 33 days, I'm going to ride every day, hit me up
    Sounds perfect. What do you ride? Hope your freedom bird ride is smooth.