Thread: Dyno tune gone bad

Dyno tune gone bad

I installed an Akrapovic exhaust system on my 2013 KTM RC8R recently, and needed to get it dyno tuned so I took it up to Denver(I live in Pueblo) for one of the shops to map it it using Tuneecu to flash the ECU. I was told it would only take a few hours. I dropped the bike off July 11th. Stopped by the shop the next afternoon and found out the ECU was bricked/froze/wouldn't communicate and the shop was going to take it to Fay Myers the following Tuesday when they opened. Fay Myers couldn't fix it and the ECU had to be shipped to KTM North America for them to sort it out. No bike for last two weeks. Finally found out today the ECU is back(it's been back for a day or more). Fay Myers is waiting for the shop to pick up my bike. The shop still has to dyno it. The shop said they would see "if they could fit it in" so I can pick it up tomorrow. If I don't get it Saturday, I have to take time off work to drive up and get it during the week.

So here are my various questions:
    1. Who is responsible for bricking the ECU? I brought a running motorcycle to a shop that claims they have done several with no problems. I believe them to be the experts so had no concerns for them flashing the ECU. I can see if the motor blew on the dyno- that would be on me. I could see if it locked up because there was some sort of electrical short/ physical damage/degraded condition(there isn't any)- that would be on me. If a shop is performing a service and something gets jacked up - who is responsible?

2. Do I have the shop attempt to finish dyno tuning the bike(which will require flashing the ECU again)? They are concerned it might lock up again(so am I- I don't want to go without riding for the good part of the summer). If not this shop, who else can flash KTM ECU's and dyno tune them in Colorado?

I also have to get Drama's GSXR dyno tuned for the new exhaust she put on, so I am looking for shop recommendations that could flash a Suzuki ECU as well.

Re: Dyno tune gone bad

Excellent article re ECU flash tuning in the July issue of Sport Rider, which covers a company called Flash-Tune in Cali. I don't see KTM covered yet but it's the way I would go for a ECU reflash.

https://ftecu.com/

Seems you don't have much choice but to let the shop try and make it right.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    Excellent article re ECU flash tuning in the July issue of Sport Rider, which covers a company called Flash-Tune in Cali. I don't see KTM covered yet but it's the way I would go for a ECU reflash.

https://ftecu.com/

Seems you don't have much choice but to let the shop try and make it right.
    FLASH TUNE SUCK SO MUCH

Just had a lot of issues with them and would not recommend.
    MRA Expert #880 - 2015 AmateurGTO Champion, 2013 NoviceGTU Champion
    2006 YZF-R6 Race "No name" - 2005 YZF-R6 Street "Aurora"
    2015 Sponsors: Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, STM Suspension, Silkolene Lubricants, EBC Brakes, Pit-Bull Products

Text: (72O) 432-7236

Issues with the flash or cust service? What bike?
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Go see Mike at Quik Cycles - http://www.quikcycles.com/ His shop and dyno are located near Broadway and Yale. He just did a friend's RC8R and it runs really well now. And Suzuki's are his specialty....
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing View Post
    Go see Mike at Quik Cycles - http://www.quikcycles.com/ His shop and dyno are located near Broadway and Yale. He just did a friend's RC8R and it runs really well now. And Suzuki's are his specialty....
    Well, just bricked it again. The bike will be down another 2 weeks. Grrrr.... Guess the shop wasn't as much of an expert as they thought. Definition of insanity is absolutely correct. Once I get the bike back I'm not going to try to flash the ecu anymore.

What fuel management does your buddy's RC8r run? Power Commander or Bazzaz? What year and exhaust/mods? Any info you could provide will help put an end to this painful experience.

Looks like I may have to put a piggyback fuel controller on. And take it to Quik Cycles.

Quote Originally Posted by WolFeYeZ View Post
    FLASH TUNE SUCK SO MUCH

Just had a lot of issues with them and would not recommend.

Would you please elaborate? I'm looking for something like this and don't really need or want the adjustability of a PC. I just want the factory tune to be cleaned up so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Neutron View Post
    Would you please elaborate? I'm looking for something like this and don't really need or want the adjustability of a PC. I just want the factory tune to be cleaned up so to speak.
    Just take it to QuikCycle. Just had Drama's GSXR750 tuned there. Flashed the ECU. NO PC or piggyback system needed. Great tuner(compared to my experience with my bike). Mike knows his stuff. I was really impressed with how everything worked out in comparison to my experience. I'll probably put a PCV on my RC8R and take it to Mike this winter.

I'll probably get flamed for it, but don't take it to Mad Moto. I know they have a bunch of supporters, but after my experience with them, I am not one of them. I lost half of summer's worth of riding because of this debacle.

TuneECU is super easy to use. I used it on my Triumph. Other than maybe letting the battery die while updating the ecu I don't know how they would brick it.
    2010 Ducati Hypermotard 796

I had considered taking it over to that side of the state and having it dyno'd but I don't really think it would be worth it. The trip over and a hotel room plus the dyno/tune fee. The bike is stock except for gears, SET servo removed and a K&N air filter. I would like the factory tune to be cleaned up so to speak. If I had exhaust or other mods I would do the dyno route. Heck if it were closer I would consider a dyno tune, but I would be looking at, I'm guessing here, $300 for the tune, plus a room for the night as apposed to $200 and a week of down time. Correct me if I'm wrong, but for my application I do not know what I would benefit from a dyno tune over FlashTune. Unless of course FlashTune does a poor job with their tuning.

I'm in Ouray incase anyone is wondering what I mean when I say, that side of the state.
    Last edited by Neutron; Thu Aug 28th, 2014 at 08:53 PM.

I'm sure you have probably taken care of this by now but if you ever need a Dyno Tune by a shop that actually knows what they're doing, Quik Cycles is the place. I have personal experience with them Dyno tuning my race bikes and yes there is a big difference. A lot of shops tell you they did this and that but unless they have the experience and know how they can do more harm than good.

I have had simple tunes done to having them build me a full race motor which resulted in making 282 Hp. Give them a shout 720-690-9999 Mike Lukachy is the owner of Quik Cycles, just tell him Mike from Chunky Beast Racing sent you.
    In Memory of my Pal Ike. Riding in the wind will never be the same without you!
    Chunky Beast Racing
    01 Turbo Busa#B813 8.6 @170.98 mph Bandimere
    Semi finalist Street Bike ET 2017 Bandimere
    1st Place Coys Street Machine ShowDown 2015
    1st Place Dragster Challenge 2013 Julesburg, CO
    1st Place Dragster Challenge 2012 Julesburg, COl
    1st Place Friday Night Drags 2011 Pueblo, CO
    1st Place Dragster Challenge 2011 Pueblo, CO
    2017 SPONSORS
    A.P.E American Performance Engineering
    Diversity Cycles

Chocolate Thunder

He learned his lesson after the second time and thats why I took my bike to Quick Cycles and not the shop he went to.I was very pleased and still happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Drama2 View Post
    He learned his lesson after the second time and thats why I took my bike to Quick Cycles and not the shop he went to.I was very pleased and still happy.
    Glad to hear it, good shops are hard to find. I think word of mouth and personal expiriences are the best advertising a shop can get.
    In Memory of my Pal Ike. Riding in the wind will never be the same without you!
    Chunky Beast Racing
    01 Turbo Busa#B813 8.6 @170.98 mph Bandimere
    Semi finalist Street Bike ET 2017 Bandimere
    1st Place Coys Street Machine ShowDown 2015
    1st Place Dragster Challenge 2013 Julesburg, CO
    1st Place Dragster Challenge 2012 Julesburg, COl
    1st Place Friday Night Drags 2011 Pueblo, CO
    1st Place Dragster Challenge 2011 Pueblo, CO
    2017 SPONSORS
    A.P.E American Performance Engineering
    Diversity Cycles