Thread: KTM in MotoGP 2017

KTM in MotoGP 2017

Well that's pretty sweet...

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/moto...6-motogp-2017/

Speaking to Speedweek, KTM CEO Stefan Pierer announced that the Austrian company will be entering the MotoGP World Championship in 2017. KTM will race with a brand new machine that features a V4 engine and will be called the KTM RC16.
    Pierer said that KTM will debut the V4 engine in May of 2015, and begin testing and developing the RC16 later that year – KTM may even wild-card the race bike during the 2016 season. Perhaps the biggest news though is that KTM plans to produce up to 100 units of the KTM RC16 race bike, which will be available to the public for a cool €150,000 to €200,000 (likely in the same way privateers can purchase a lower-spec machine than KTM’s Moto3 racer).
    Developed specifically for the race track, the KTM RC16 isn’t quite a homologation special, in the same way that Honda’s consumer-version of the RCV1000R will be, if it ever finally comes to market. Instead, the KTM RC16 will be for well-pocketed track enthusiasts. For all that coin, owners can expect 1,000cc V4 lump (likely making over 200hp), a steel trellis frame, and WP suspension pieces.
    Another interesting thing of note is that while the RC16 is being considered a direct replacement for the RC8 superbike, KTM is taking its cue from the EU Commission, which has been mulling performance restrictions on superbikes. Saying that no street bike should have 200hp, Pierer foresees KTM’s future “superbike” being track-only machines going forth.
    Turning to the race track, there’s no word yet on what pricing will be for GP teams, though we would expect to see a price tag in the millions-of-euros range. Today’s news makes KTM one of a handful new manufacturers to show their interest in MotoGP, as Suzuki will return to the paddock for the 2015 season, and Aprilia will field a revised Open Class entry machine based on the RSV4 next season, before brining a full-prototype in 2016.
    KTM will hopes to have the RC16 ready for purchase by GP teams by the 2017 season, and Pierer says that KTM will not field a factory team in MotoGP. Instead, the Austrian brand will operate in MotoGP the same way it has in Moto3, supplying machines to strong private teams, and working with them on development and support.
    Stay tuned for more information, as we get it.

Re: KTM in MotoGP 2017

more the better!!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Shit just got real... wonder if this will push BMW and Kawi in now
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

I think this sub forum is going to get a lot busier once those seasons get closer to starting...

awesome news.

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    Shit just got real... wonder if this will push BMW and Kawi in now
    One can only hope that those two will enter into MotoGP as well. Especially Kawasaki, with their long stance of "once we leave, we won't return." If KTM spurs BMW, Kawasaki may have no other choice but to jump back in.

Dude what we need to do, is petition to get Hyosung to enter. If Hyosung joined MotoGP, no way Kawasaki would rest on their laurels then. HAHAHA!!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

I predict KTMs run will last about... oh... A season. Maybe two.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Senior Member Moderator

I'm with you guys, the more the better! That's awesome news!

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    I predict KTMs run will last about... oh... A season. Maybe two.
    Depends on the results they are looking to achieve. If they're shooting for top 10 finishes and the occasional podium, I think they will stay around for a longer time. Obviously they aren't coming into this thinking they will snatch a World Championship. According to the article though, their participation in MotoGP will be the same as in Moto3. I, think we'll see KTM lending strong support to strong privateer teams. If what the article says is true, KTM could honestly hang around for as long as they like. Supplying teams with machines and then doing the R&D alongside the teams would mean they get to develop at their own pace. However, if multiple teams decide to run KTM machinery, we may see KTM being able to develop rather quickly. Would be kind of in the same vein that Ducati is shooting for next year, in that they are running six riders. If KTM get the consumer base, I'm sure they will back them.

I, think if we can start seeing 30+ grids it can only mean better racing for everyone. The paltry 20 or so riders at the moment is o.k. at best. Look at Moto2 & Moto3. Tons of riders are vying for wins.

With the potential "reset" we are going to see in 2016. Hopefully it means the competitions tightens up and produces more than just one guy winning all the races.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

Senior Member Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Depends on the results they are looking to achieve. If they're shooting for top 10 finishes and the occasional podium, I think they will stay around for a longer time. Obviously they aren't coming into this thinking they will snatch a World Championship. According to the article though, their participation in MotoGP will be the same as in Moto3. I, think we'll see KTM lending strong support to strong privateer teams. If what the article says is true, KTM could honestly hang around for as long as they like. Supplying teams with machines and then doing the R&D alongside the teams would mean they get to develop at their own pace. However, if multiple teams decide to run KTM machinery, we may see KTM being able to develop rather quickly. Would be kind of in the same vein that Ducati is shooting for next year, in that they are running six riders. If KTM get the consumer base, I'm sure they will back them.

I, think if we can start seeing 30+ grids it can only mean better racing for everyone. The paltry 20 or so riders at the moment is o.k. at best. Look at Moto2 & Moto3. Tons of riders are vying for wins.

With the potential "reset" we are going to see in 2016. Hopefully it means the competitions tightens up and produces more than just one guy winning all the races.
    Sometimes I really wish there was a "Like" button.

You say "Depends on the results they are looking to achieve" as if the purpose of competing is anything other than winning.

It's incredibly expensive to field a MotoGP team, and if their bottom line is not affected (for the positive) as a result of their.. um.. results, then well.... There you have it. I'm hoping for them, but they have their work cut out for them.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Well there's tons of teams that know winning is a mile out but they still work hard at development. Every team has to start somewhere and well who knows, KTM/Suzuki/Aprilia could be the surprise in 2016/17 with the new set of rules and changes.
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

You say "Depends on the results they are looking to achieve" as if the purpose of competing is anything other than winning.

It's incredibly expensive to field a MotoGP team, and if their bottom line is not affected (for the positive) as a result of their.. um.. results, then well.... There you have it. I'm hoping for them, but they have their work cut out for them.
    Well true, the ultimate goal in competitive racing is winning. However, unless you're Honda or Yamaha, most manufactures know that the road to consistent winning is a long road. KTM in my opinion just isn't envisioning that right at the moment. I'll agree with you, I think Suzuki and Aprilia are shooting for more(especially Suzuki). If Suzuki has developed a very competitive machine, and are able to secure good top level caliber riders(and they have one Vinales). Suzuki will be looking for more than top 10 and occasional podiums. I'm thinking they want to be top 5 and securing regular podiums.

Keep in mind though Barn, with the two juggernaut bikes of Honda/Yamaha and their four highest level riders. Beating them is going to be a monumental task. It can be done but will take time.

But I do disagree with you on the entire purpose of competing. At one point, Honda and Yamaha were at the bottom of the barrel. Through consistent R&D, competing and going through riders to help them. They've achieved their potential, the potential of winning and being world champions.

Look at Formula 1. The Caterham's have no chance in hell of ever winning(at the moment). Yet are keeping at it and developing. For them, just securing a couple points in the world championship means they secure monetary financing from their sponsors. They have goals to meet and are trying to obtain them. Force India and Torro Rosso are the same way. They've come a long way in development and are producing(especially Force India) some competitive machines.

The endgame is winning but you don't get there without lots of blood, sweat and determination. Years of development and riders pushing the bike to its limits for the one day when they arrive on the top step of the podium.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

wonder if this will push... Kawi in now
    Why? So the CRT's can consistently beat a factory team?

Knight, I love your posts. Incredibly thoughtful and well written.

Thank you sir
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

Gold Member

Dude someone missed their calling, writing articles for bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    Dude someone missed their calling, writing articles for bikes.
    word yo!!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

Too long of a read bro, gawd! jk man, always good to have all points of view and share opinions. Always fun
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Too long of a read bro, gawd! jk man, always good to have all points of view and share opinions. Always fun
    Well I figured since I have a penchant for long winded posts, that I would decide to focus my energy into something useful. That would be talking about bikes and racing. I, used to expound on Politics and Religion but I've long since lost my desire for those topics. It's pointless to discuss such topics when all they ever seem to inspire are vitriol and animosity. Racing and motorcycles are the only thing I really care about these days. Everything else doesn't matter much too me anymore.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

If they don't get some ROI in the form of "showroom" dollars, I just don't see it lasting that long. The point of the race is of course to win, but don't confuse that with the real objective of even bothering to field the team in the first place...

Revenue.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Gold Member

If they don't get some ROI in the form of "showroom" dollars, I just don't see it lasting that long. The point of the race is of course to win, but don't confuse that with the real objective of even bothering to field the team in the first place...

Revenue.
    Well with that being said I think you are highly over looking the fact compared to most other companies KTM is a very young manufacturer. I mean the rc8 came out in like 2008.

KTM has always made a decent dirt bike but from what I have seen in the last ten years they have made some amazing progress. So with a young company that has made some serious progress in its bikes I'm sure finding some decent sponsors won't be very difficult. A sponsor at this stage in the game would be investing more for the future unlike most sponsors of other bikes. Knowing that it will take time before they are truly competing with teams like honda.

But really I guess all one has to do is look at ducati and see that you don't have to win to keep your team going. Lol.

Jokes aside I'm actually interested in where ktm is headed with this. The designs in their street bikes. Maybe some new tech for their dirtys. Who knows. One thing for sure is that ktm is not the same company it was ten years ago.