Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First bike ride with the wife!

Re: First bike ride with the wife!

Here is a more affordable idea...in case you are not sure she will be into it; just goes around jacket and provides grips

https://www.denniskirk.com/347291.sk...FfA-Mgod-TIAww

My other suggestion is to get her some cheap leather pants or something with more grip. Denim doesn't provide the best grip and that can really effect how well she can hold on; legs should be used to squeeze the bike and therefore require less arm strength....and don't forget women usually have powerful legs for their size so these should be utilized.
    Last edited by bulldog; Wed Aug 6th, 2014 at 11:16 AM.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

This is what i do with my passengers, I tell them once we are at speed to sit up and make sure they are relaxed.... while going at highway speeds, if they get wind buffeting, to push the chin portion of the helmet into the back of either shoulder.

These handles are by suction cup, works great, takes 2 seconds to install or remove. It does not mount over the gas cap, rather before it. So if you have a tank pad, it may need to be trimmed or remounted lower. Also I noticed you have a tank bag, if it uses one strap through down to the rider seat, you will have to figure something out for that too.

What also helps to keep her from sliding into your and would help her wrists is if she just squeezes your hips with her thighs when you slow or stop.
    It's a must with my dude on the back (which is rare and only for short rides but he's another half me so it's crazy noticeable with him on the back)
    Nicole
    Street: 08 Suzuki SV650S
    08 Kawi Ninja 500 *SOLD*
    Track: 03 Yamaha R6

MRA corner worker

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rockerbabe88 View Post
    What also helps to keep her from sliding into your and would help her wrists is if she just squeezes your hips with her thighs when you slow or stop.
    It's a must with my dude on the back (which is rare and only for short rides but he's another half me so it's crazy noticeable with him on the back)
    Dude on back.... We need pics.

Quote Originally Posted by UHATEIT View Post
    Holy crap that looks sweet Slo. Does that just suction over the gas cap or does it bolt on. What's the link on that one? It is dissappointing that the Ninja 636 only comes with a little strap on the front of the seta by the passengers crotch area so there is not a full grab bar like I had on my SV650 which would have been a better ride for my wife and more upright.

I actually on my way home yesterday saw 2 separate Ninja 636 (new style and old style) both on Hampden at different times. Both had a male driver and a female passanger. I watched how each passanger was hanging on and both seemes to have lots of space between the rider's back and the passenger's chest and were barely gripping the side ribs of the driver. I told my wife about this so she would hopefully see that she doesnt have to bear hug me or grip me like a heavy backpack on my back. I think the driver blocks a good amount of air from the passanger that would otherwise pull them back. She did mention that when we got onto the E470 that she felt like her helmet was starting to lift so she was trying to tuck down to avoid that and thus pushing me down as well. The Ninja 636 is pretty raked and has little to no windshield curve to deflect air, anyone with one of these 636 has probably seen how it deflects hardly anything even for the rider, whereas the windshield on my SV650 it more upright and pushes it over the rider's head. SO this is for sure not the best bike for moving air over the passenger's head.

The idea of trying this again with her on another bike would probably be the best on something more upright. Harley riders don't even really need to hang on when they have a backrest, but the raking of the 636 and the small seat with no grab bar makes it pretty impractical for taking a passanger (as does the undertail exhaust that heats up their ass) I think the 636 is more of a race bike than most bikes that would be better suited for carrying passangers.
    Yeah my girlfriend is your wife's size, 5 ' 1" & 100 lbs. And she tells my on long rides her pelvic area get really sore but to the tiny, uncomfortable so called seat back there.

My preference for riding longer distances 2-up: Front tire pressure 1-2lbs and rear 3-4lbs higher. When I ride by myself there are usually at 33F and 35R. With a passenger they are 35F and 39R. Increase rear spring preload and if that doesn't solve the problem you may need a heavier rated spring. Don't wax your back of your gas tank.
    "That which does not kill you only postpones the inevitable."

My wife and I did the second ride this last Sunday the 24th and she did a ton better this time! Instead of being a giant bear hug n my back she held on with the side straps on my jacket by sticking her thumbs into the side adjuster velcro straps and then gripping hard to the material. This allowed her to be comfortable and scoot back on the seat so as to not be on my back, and I was able to then get more comfortable and scoot back in the seat myself. Took all the stress off my forearms and my waist and was a much smoother ride for both of us.
    2005 Suzuki SV650s Blue (SOLD), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636 Lime Green

http://www.ebay.com/usr/cycle-handle...p2047675.l2559
    Liking these, position of them looks better then
    these
    http://www.psr-usa.com/2-up-passenge...enger-bar.html
    anybody use the psr or have had both by chance?

Sounds good.