Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The MOST fund...What should we do with it

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

The MOST fund...What should we do with it

So, I was just appointed to the CDOT Motorcycle Operator Safety Advisory Board as the member who represents the motorcycle community as a whole. This is what I get for showing up to things lol. That being said, I need to know what you folks think the MOST fund should be used for.

The MOST program is paid for by Colorado M endorsments on licenses and a small fee per motorcycle/scooter registration and earns about $800,000/year in revenue. The program promotes motorcycle safety awareness, does studies on all motorcycle accidents in Colorado, and provides vendors who provide motorcycle training a rebate per student who takes a safety class. The rebates for 2013 were as follows: $70.00 for each student in the Basic Rider Course, $50.00 for each student in the BRC 2 Course, $200.00 for each student in the RiderCoach Preparation Course and $50.00 for each student in the RiderCoach Instructor updates. 15% of the fund is kept for administration costs, 20% is held back for if a new vendor joins the MOST program or if a vendor has more training than projected, 10% is used for the motorcycle safety campaign (ie the CDOT signs and the safety billboards) and the rest is supposed to be used to give Colorado residents a break on tuition. It is the tuition that is the most controversial.

So, what say you all? How should the money be used?
    Last edited by bornwildnfree; Mon Aug 4th, 2014 at 01:13 PM.
    "With every broken bone, I swear I lived."

Gold Member

Re: The MOST fund...What should we do with it

Strippers and coke?? Lol

But no really. It would be nice to see our troops that enjoy to ride see some of that. Not sure what all they get now for benefits when it comes to riders training classes. I know they have to have it to ride on post or something like that. But it has always saddened me to see a soldier make it back from war without a scratch to crash and either get really jacked up or even killed.

Also promoting more to the look twice save a life kind of adds.

Just a few things off the top of my head.

So 55% is going to training, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but at the same time, it's also probably a huge subsidy to the training operators. How are they regulated? Do they disclose financials?

Off topic but motorcycle sensitive light sensors lol sick and tired of sitting there for an hr
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

I don't have the answer as to how, but their needs to be more advanced training. Something that a proficient street rider would not be embarrassed to take every year.
    Owner and General Manager - Fun Center Cycles in Durango, CO

11 BMW S1000RR - Street - Lady on the street
    13 Kawi ZX6R - Track - Freak in the bed
    13 Triumph Daytona 675R - Wifes bike

2014 MRA 400 Production Class Champion

These are the updated rules that went into effect as of July 1, 2013 - https://www.sos.state.co.us/CCR/Gene...VersionId=5547

The tuition reimbursement is now $35 per student for the BRC, not $70. The tuition reimbursement for all other classes has been eliminated. When CDOT releases the 2014 MOST Annual Report for the fiscal year ending June 30,2014, it will undoubtedly show the percentage going to training as much less than the 55% reported in previous years.
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Generic's Avatar

Studies are being done of the accidents, but where are those results published? I'd like to see an open data set of the information for other researchers to use an analyze.

Also, I'd like to see study on the affects of possible lane splitting in Colorado or at least the major metro areas. Colorado population is expected to grow 20% by 2020 and I don't think the roadways will be keeping up.
    2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
    I don't have the answer as to how, but their needs to be more advanced training. Something that a proficient street rider would not be embarrassed to take every year.
    Joe, This course is the closest they have - http://www.msf-campus.org/AdvancedRiderCourse.aspx I doubt you would gain anything from the riding portion but I think you would benefit from the classroom exercises.
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Generic View Post
    Studies are being done of the accidents, but where are those results published? I'd like to see an open data set of the information for other researchers to use an analyze.

Also, I'd like to see study on the affects of possible lane splitting in Colorado or at least the major metro areas. Colorado population is expected to grow 20% by 2020 and I don't think the roadways will be keeping up.
    You can find this information in the MOST Annual Report - http://www.coloradodot.info/library/..._download/file
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing View Post
    You can find this information in the MOST Annual Report - http://www.coloradodot.info/library/..._download/file
    Thank you, easy answer for that first one. I'd love to get the actual data set as well though if that's possible in the future.
    2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing View Post
    Here's why I want the raw data.
    The report says:

• Motorcyclist fatalities represented 17% of Colorado’s total traffic fatalities (79 of 472)
    • Motorcyclist fatalities increased by one from 2011 (78 fatalities), but are 20% lower than the record high of 98 fatalities in 2008
    • The slight increase in motorcyclist deaths corresponds with trends in overall traffic fatalities, which increased by 4% in 2012

Here's what the data shows:

Deaths by % of registrations

Overall deaths are on a downward trend based on the number of motorcycle registrations which I'm assuming is corollary to riders on the road.
    2005 Kawasaki Z750S

+1 for open data

President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Thanks Jim for the information!
    "With every broken bone, I swear I lived."

I would vote for continued/increased subsidies for the training programs, particularly more for advanced classes.
    The Toys:
    05 Suzuki SV1000S
    07 KTM 450EXC
    00 Toyota MR2
    76 Toyota Landcruiser Rockcrawler
    13 Yeti SB66c
    Too many skis to list

Driver awareness of bikes and distracted driver prevention. I have some idiot try to change lanes into me at least once a week, because they are too lazy/distracted/apathetic to bother looking out their side window in addition to checking their mirror. I wear a jacket and helmet that Stevie Wonder could see from orbit, and have an HID headlight that can roast a chicken at 50 paces, so visibility probably isn't the issue. I don't cruise in people's blind spots, I'm usually right alongside the driver's window when they start moving over...
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    Strippers and coke?? Lol

But no really. It would be nice to see our troops that enjoy to ride see some of that. Not sure what all they get now for benefits when it comes to riders training classes. I know they have to have it to ride on post or something like that. But it has always saddened me to see a soldier make it back from war without a scratch to crash and either get really jacked up or even killed.

Also promoting more to the look twice save a life kind of adds.

Just a few things off the top of my head.
    Most Air Force bases like Buckley reimburse us for the BRC course and now the ARC course. You have to complete the BRC course in order to ride on base and the ARC is required after a few years. Money is paid from the government and most companies like ABATE offer a discount to military.

I strongly think a helmet law should be enacted. When compared to states with the same amount of riders Colorado has more fatalities, mostly due to lack of head protection.
    Mike
    USAF
    '10 Kawasaki Z1000

I could care less about the type of motorcycle or brand, as long as it gets me to my destination with a smile on my face.

Are distributions from the Fund for street purposes only, or are dirt riders included? COHVCO does excellent work and they are in dire need of funding.

http://cohvco.org/
    John
    KTM Duke 690

No amount of awareness is going to fix stupid. Outside of years of experience, the riders best defense is training on how to avoid these crazies. Joe L. gave a link above that is really good for advanced training but I still think there is more to be done there.

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    Driver awareness of bikes and distracted driver prevention. I have some idiot try to change lanes into me at least once a week, because they are too lazy/distracted/apathetic to bother looking out their side window in addition to checking their mirror. I wear a jacket and helmet that Stevie Wonder could see from orbit, and have an HID headlight that can roast a chicken at 50 paces, so visibility probably isn't the issue. I don't cruise in people's blind spots, I'm usually right alongside the driver's window when they start moving over...
    Owner and General Manager - Fun Center Cycles in Durango, CO

11 BMW S1000RR - Street - Lady on the street
    13 Kawi ZX6R - Track - Freak in the bed
    13 Triumph Daytona 675R - Wifes bike

2014 MRA 400 Production Class Champion

A Canyon sweeper program to clean up after storms and to clean up problem areas during the riding "season."

Or something... Definitely more ads for drivers, though driving a semi around I still get squeezed on three sides by mommy wagons and phone jockeys.

I would definitely agree with the canyon sweeper idea. I've already heard stories from 3 people this year that have crashed due to sand/crap on the road.

Not sure if they'd go for it though, Golden Gate has all this new gravel they put down recently and it's almost like they intended it to make its way out into the corners (obviously, so the motorcycles wouldn't want to ride there as much).

I rode Golden Gate today, it's fine and easy to see what little gravel is still on the road.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Sure would be nicer if they swept it though...

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by BikesRider777 View Post
    I would definitely agree with the canyon sweeper idea. I've already heard stories from 3 people this year that have crashed due to sand/crap on the road.

Not sure if they'd go for it though, Golden Gate has all this new gravel they put down recently and it's almost like they intended it to make its way out into the corners (obviously, so the motorcycles wouldn't want to ride there as much).

You do understand that to keep the sand off the road there would have to be sweeper on those roads at all times.. Right?