Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The MOST fund...What should we do with it

Re: The MOST fund...What should we do with it

Well, despite the current trend in our schools to praise all children for anything, not all ideas are good ideas. That's why people debate, criticize, and discuss them. Good ideas come to the top through open discussion and bad ideas are discarded. Part of that process is not attaching yourself to ideas, assimilating new information, and judging actions on the basis of merit.

In any event, how about subsidizing track days like the State Patrol does with Bandimere? Like a "Take it to the track" promotional day out at HPR. Gets some unsafe riding out of the canyons, introduces more people to the track, promotes riding fast in a safe environment, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by big_sur View Post
    Well, despite the current trend in our schools to praise all children for anything, not all ideas are good ideas. That's why people debate, criticize, and discuss them. Good ideas come to the top through open discussion and bad ideas are discarded. Part of that process is not attaching yourself to ideas, assimilating new information, and judging actions on the basis of merit.

In any event, how about subsidizing track days like the State Patrol does with Bandimere? Like a "Take it to the track" promotional day out at HPR. Gets some unsafe riding out of the canyons, introduces more people to the track, promotes riding fast in a safe environment, etc...
    Yet here is the law passed in many states....maybe you should go argue with legislation then......

Not even going to argue with you...I will just put this link so you can see how many states have passed this and disagreed with you! Come on Colorado next!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restric..._United_States

No state bans all cell phone use for all drivers. However, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Washington, West Virginia (plusWashington, D.C., Puerto Rico, Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands) prohibit all drivers from using hand-held cell phones while driving. 36 states and Washington, D.C. ban all cell phone use by newer drivers; while 19 states and Washington, D.C. prohibit any cell phone use by school bus drivers while children are present.[2]
    Last edited by bulldog; Tue Aug 5th, 2014 at 01:30 PM.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Again man...not sure why people have to criticize people's ideas when they are just trying to help....

Can we just now leave this to bornwildnfree please.....if she wants opinions I am sure she will ask for them.

I really apologize bornwildnfree as I know this is a good thing you are doing. I hope you see I was just trying help but got caught up defending myself. This is why this club is just not like it used to be....so sad

I'll stay out now
    Last edited by bulldog; Tue Aug 5th, 2014 at 01:37 PM.

Gold Member

My turn. Now this is coming from from a professional driver stance. It doesn't really matter what distraction it is distracted driving is all the same. It can even be what's playing on the radio.

While some people feel its safer to talk on a Bluetooth it can and has been proven to be just as distraction as hand held. Period. No its and or buts.

Now being that there is already a law on the books about hands free devices I see no point in arguing for more. There is no point. But Nate if you want to argue the point of being able to drive with one hand or two I will counter with this. And before we really get into it I drive a ten speed. I shift.... All the fucking time. Not like a car where you shift from time to time.

Driving with one hand is just as effective as two. While yes you are instructed to hold at ten and two you just can't maintain that position for long periods of time. But this is a really mediocre conversation. If you want to really talk distracted driving some of the most common and untalked about distractions is passengers. Passengers are very distractive. When you carry a conversation with a person you typically look at them. Taking focus off the road. Taking focus off mirror checks. Taking focus off the cars around you. But that's a whole other conversation to be had.

Guess I will end this with if the current laws aren't going to be enforced why bother wasting money on more? Even cops still drive with a cell in their hand. Waste of time and money.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    My turn. Now this is coming from from a professional driver stance. It doesn't really matter what distraction it is distracted driving is all the same. It can even be what's playing on the radio.

While some people feel its safer to talk on a Bluetooth it can and has been proven to be just as distraction as hand held. Period. No its and or buts.

Now being that there is already a law on the books about hands free devices I see no point in arguing for more. There is no point. But Nate if you want to argue the point of being able to drive with one hand or two I will counter with this. And before we really get into it I drive a ten speed. I shift.... All the fucking time. Not like a car where you shift from time to time.

Driving with one hand is just as effective as two. While yes you are instructed to hold at ten and two you just can't maintain that position for long periods of time. But this is a really mediocre conversation. If you want to really talk distracted driving some of the most common and untalked about distractions is passengers. Passengers are very distractive. When you carry a conversation with a person you typically look at them. Taking focus off the road. Taking focus off mirror checks. Taking focus off the cars around you. But that's a whole other conversation to be had.

Guess I will end this with if the current laws aren't going to be enforced why bother wasting money on more? Even cops still drive with a cell in their hand. Waste of time and money.
    We don't have that law in CO Townie....only for texting!

Not sure in Nevada, but my family lives in NM, and they enforce that law hardcore! Even for out-of-towners.

We should race the exact same WRX with a manual transmission. You with one hand and me with both and see who wins....oh yeah on turns!

Ok, ok...now I am out.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    We don't have that law in CO Townie....only for texting!

Not sure in Nevada, but my family lives in NM, and they enforce that law hardcore! Even for out-of-towners.

We should race the exact same WRX with a manual transmission. You with one hand and me with both and see who wins....oh yeah on turns!

Ok, ok...now I am out.
    Meh... Wrxs are slow.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    Meh... Wrxs are slow.
    I mean they are slow compared to bikes, but I would think compared to most average cars they are fast. Same engine/turbo as STI with a 5 speed so it is actually faster than a STI in a 1/4 mile. 265HP to 305HP (depending if I change my map to get that higher HP) with a curb weight of 3200lbs

I am sure you got that I only meant shifting around turns would be harder with one hand....

It would be interesting to see how it does against your BMW 535. Not saying a WRX would win, but I'd think it would be pretty close. It is a 2014...came with catback and short shifter.
    Last edited by bulldog; Tue Aug 5th, 2014 at 03:29 PM.

On my toes! Lifetime Supporter PunyJuney's Avatar

I would like to see the training dollars earmarked for education to continue to be used in education. I don't know how many people (non-riders) have said "what does look twice save a life really mean?"
    I would like it to be part of getting a drivers license in Colorado. Not an M class but the cager kind.
    I would like a second question on the written exam to include what the apex of a corner is and how much room a motorcycle needs at speed to get around a corner that includes a double yellow descending radius turn. I can assure you that the driver that killed Greg (a 40 year old very experienced rider) on Squaw Pass while passing a bicycle on a double yellow did not expect a motorcycle to actually occupy his rightful place in the lane. Instead the car passed the bicycle (obeying the new 3 foot law for the pedal pushers) in spite of the motorcycle rider that was obeying all traffic laws and simply riding in his designated lane. I personally have almost been hit countless times since the new bicycle law went in to practice. There have also been numerous fatalities with cars turning left into oncoming bikes that are just going straight through a green light.

LOOK TWICE SAVE A LIFE is a catchy bumper sticker, but if you don't ride it really does not resonate. If there's noting riding on in it (like a pass/fail on your drivers license test) then people simply don't pay attention to the facts, the requirements or what is actually at stake...which is our lives.

Christi, I cross posted this on the other forums I ride with and will send you any useful feedback as soon as I see any.
    Good luck and thank you for your continued service to the motorcycle community.

MV Agusta F4 Brutale 1078rr
    2012 CBR1000rr Anniversary Edition

"keep your words soft and sweet as one day you may have to eat them" -Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by PunyJuney View Post
    I would like to see the training dollars earmarked for education to continue to be used in education. I don't know how many people (non-riders) have said "what does look twice save a life really mean?"
    I would like it to be part of getting a drivers license in Colorado. Not an M class but the cager kind.
    I would like a second question on the written exam to include what the apex of a corner is and how much room a motorcycle needs at speed to get around a corner that includes a double yellow descending radius turn. I can assure you that the driver that killed Greg (a 40 year old very experienced rider) on Squaw Pass while passing a bicycle on a double yellow did not expect a motorcycle to actually occupy his rightful place in the lane. Instead the car passed the bicycle (obeying the new 3 foot law for the pedal pushers) in spite of the motorcycle rider that was obeying all traffic laws and simply riding in his designated lane. I personally have almost been hit countless times since the new bicycle law went in to practice. There have also been numerous fatalities with cars turning left into oncoming bikes that are just going straight through a green light.

LOOK TWICE SAVE A LIFE is a catchy bumper sticker, but if you don't ride it really does not resonate. If there's noting riding on in it (like a pass/fail on your drivers license test) then people simply don't pay attention to the facts, the requirements or what is actually at stake...which is our lives.

Christi, I cross posted this on the other forums I ride with and will send you any useful feedback as soon as I see any.
    Good luck and thank you for your continued service to the motorcycle community.

ALL OF THAT ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

obeying the new 3 foot law for the pedal pushers
    Don't think the problem is the new law, problem is that cagers have no idea how little three foot is. If the bicycle is along the white line then most cars can give them 3+ feet with just running there driver side tires on the yellow line. They want to give them 10+ feet for some reason and are running their pass. side tires on the yellow line!!!

I know it's a long shot, but I would like to at least see some signs and maybe some education about pedel pushers staying along the white line and cagers giving them no more then 3 feet. Also be nice to see some signs/education/enforcement about passing bicycles on blind corners.

Be nice to see if something could be done about c-dot and county workers covering corners in gravel. It's either deliberate or done out of complete stupidity.
    Last edited by 06xbss; Tue Aug 5th, 2014 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 06xbss View Post
    Be nice to see if something could be done about c-dot and county workers covering corners in gravel. It's either deliberate or done out of complete stupidity.
    They have to backfill the edge of the road so it doesn't erode and destroy the road itself. They do typically sweep afterwards, but cars inevitably drop a tire off the side and pull a bunch of gravel onto the road. It's just something they have to do and we have to watch for.

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Generic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nolan View Post
    ALL OF THAT ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Good suggestions. In an ideal world anyone getting a drivers license would have to also ride to know what it's like and so they become aware of motorcycles. Since that isn't going to happen it would be nice to see some more specific education focused on motorcycle and car interactions.
    2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Quote Originally Posted by big_sur View Post
    They have to backfill the edge of the road so it doesn't erode and destroy the road itself. They do typically sweep afterwards, but cars inevitably drop a tire off the side and pull a bunch of gravel onto the road. It's just something they have to do and we have to watch for.

I realize that they need to maintain the edge of the road, but there are a lot cleaner/longer lasting solutions then just dumping some road base along the edge.