Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The MOST fund...What should we do with it

Re: The MOST fund...What should we do with it

Use the money to get the ball rolling on banning non-hands free cell phone call while driving! Many other states have done it and we should follow suite with all the motorcycles we have here.

If that is not possible I guess more awareness on the dangers of talking on a cell phone and driving.

That is always my biggest issue with people....I think someone is drunk, but catch up and see they are 99% into their phone conversation and 1% on autopilot driving!
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

When I become a millionaire, Golden Gate will always be swept so my ride down in the morning will be gravel free. The money can't be used for road improvement or street sweeping. It can be used for educational classes, motorcycle awareness campaigns and refunds for students to take classes.

@FZRGuy, I will ask about using the funds for dirt as well.
    "With every broken bone, I swear I lived."

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Generic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing View Post
    I emailed Glenn yesterday and we are working to determine what data is available and how I can get it. Thank you!
    2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Oh well.

How about a study on how to get a drivers attention when they are playing with their phone so you can get them to be aware? Kicking the door seems to be a 50/50 solution and usually after the fact. A campaign to get people to take the class (even if they never ride, just to understand the concept).

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Use the money to get the ball rolling on banning non-hands free cell phone call while driving! Many other states have done it and we should follow suite with all the motorcycles we have here.

If that is not possible I guess more awareness on the dangers of talking on a cell phone and driving.

That is always my biggest issue with people....I think someone is drunk, but catch up and see they are 99% into their phone conversation and 1% on autopilot driving!
    Actually, please don't do this! Studies have shown there is no real difference between talking while holding the phone or hands free, it would be a waste of the funds to initiate such a law. Distracted Driving is already against the law and if anything happens they can be charged under that.
    2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Off the top of my head: A campaign to encourage riders to get their endorsements, a campaign to encourage use of protective gear (especially young sport bike riders), alcohol awareness for riders.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

spend some on motorcycle awareness. example: the highway signs that sometimes say "stay alert for bikers" when there's no traffic to report. Things like that

Quote Originally Posted by Generic View Post
    Actually, please don't do this! Studies have shown there is no real difference between talking while holding the phone or hands free, it would be a waste of the funds to initiate such a law. Distracted Driving is already against the law and if anything happens they can be charged under that.
    Did this study take into account driving with one hand is as effective as with two hands.....because I was taught 10 and 2 o'clock on steering wheel.....impossible to do with one arm Pretty common sense man!

What about people with manual transmissions that have to shift....again that one hand driving must be epic skills!!!

I stand with what I said and want this done!
    Last edited by bulldog; Tue Aug 5th, 2014 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
    spend some on motorcycle awareness. example: the highway signs that sometimes say "stay alert for bikers" when there's no traffic to report. Things like that

http://www.coloradodot.info/programs/live-to-ride

They have greatly stepped up the campaign since last year including commercials, billboards, etc
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Did this study take into account driving with one hand is as effective as with two hands.....because I was taught 10 and 2 o'clock on steering wheel.....impossible to do with one arm Pretty common sense man!

What about people with manual transmissions that have to shift....again that one hand driving must be epic skills!!!

I stand with what I said and want this done!
    Yes, they did, summary conclusion on page 62 - http://www.distraction.gov/download/811757.pdf

The results from this study present a clear
    finding: VM subtasks performed on HH cell phones
    degrade driver performance and increase SCE ris
    The results from this study present a clear finding: VM (visual-manual) subtasks performed on HH (hands free) cell phones
    degrade driver performance and increase SCE (safety critical event) risk.

I stand by my statement, that it has been studied and I'd hate to see funds wasted on enacting useless legislation when pre-existing laws can be enforced.
    2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Yes, they did, summary conclusion on page 62 - http://www.distraction.gov/download/811757.pdf

The results from this study present a clear
    finding: VM subtasks performed on HH cell phones
    degrade driver performance and increase SCE ris
    The results from this study present a clear finding: VM (visual-manual) subtasks performed on HH (hands free) cell phones
    degrade driver performance and increase SCE (safety critical event) risk.

I stand by my statement, that it has been studied and I'd hate to see funds wasted on enacting useless legislation when pre-existing laws can be enforced.
    DISCLAIMER (from your article): The opinions, findings, and conclusions expressed
    in this publication are those of the authors and not necessarily those of the
    Department of Transportation or the National Highway Traffic Safety
    Administration.

Ok, buddy...one handed driving is a safe as two handed:

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    Off topic but motorcycle sensitive light sensors lol sick and tired of sitting there for an hr
    I always have my camera on me, I just always record a couple minutes of me sitting there before I decide to blow the light. Or turn right.. and pop that U.

How something like a rebate for buying a new SNELL/DOT approved helmet and turning in one that has reached its max life or isn't approved?

DISCLAIMER (from your article): The opinions, findings, and conclusions expressed
    in this publication are those of the authors and not necessarily those of the
    Department of Transportation or the National Highway Traffic Safety
    Administration.

Ok, buddy...one handed driving is a safe as two handed:
    I'm not being snarky and I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't be either. Look, I understand that it seems logical that something in your hand is more distracting than just talking to the air. However the studies show it isn't the item in the hand that is the distraction, it's the actual converstation. Myth Busters has covered it if you want the entertaining version. Here is yet another study that has the same information: http://www.nsc.org/Pages/Hands-FreeP...eldPhones.aspx

My point is that again, the legislation would be costly and simply not the most effective use of limited funds. Enforcing existing laws tends to be more effective that writing new ones. I'd much rather see it put into something else like education as others have mentioned or gathering data on lane-splitting as a possible safer way to ease congestion.
    2005 Kawasaki Z750S

I'm not being snarky and I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't be either. Look, I understand that it seems logical that something in your hand is more distracting than just talking to the air. However the studies show it isn't the item in the hand that is the distraction, it's the actual converstation. Myth Busters has covered it if you want the entertaining version. Here is yet another study that has the same information: http://www.nsc.org/Pages/Hands-FreeP...eldPhones.aspx

My point is that again, the legislation would be costly and simply not the most effective use of limited funds. Enforcing existing laws tends to be more effective that writing new ones. I'd much rather see it put into something else like education as others have mentioned or gathering data on lane-splitting as a possible safer way to ease congestion.
    Look, the point of this thread was to give ideas bornwildnfree. I don't think this was about shooting down people's ideas unless somehow you are bornwildnfree! So maybe go spend that energy on YOUR suggestions instead of criticizing others!

I've tried driving my manual transmission with one hand and I can tell you it is not easy; one hand has to shift while steering wheel is not manned. Again, common sense to me...I don't believe everything I read online though.
    Last edited by bulldog; Tue Aug 5th, 2014 at 10:34 AM.

Look, the point of this thread was to give ideas bornwildnfree. I don't think this was about shooting down people's ideas unless somehow you are bornwildnfree! So maybe go spend that energy on YOUR suggestions instead of criticizing others!

I've tried driving my manual transmission with one hand and I can tell you it is not easy; one hand has to shift while steering wheel is not manned. Again, common sense to me...I don't believe everything I read online though.
    I'm not trying to shoot down ideas, I'm trying to provide well thought out information as to where those funds should go to benefit us most. If you have empirical data such as I've been linking to that shows this would be a good use of said funds, feel free to share.

As for "I don't believe everything I read online" this isn't me making up or using anecdotal evidence. These are well funded, well controlled studies with clear sources for their data and conclusions. This is exactly the type of thing you should believe on the internet.

I just want to re-inforce, this isn't a personal attack against you or your ideas. I just happen to be familiar with these studies and information and I'm trying to relate that.
    Last edited by Generic; Tue Aug 5th, 2014 at 10:40 AM.
    2005 Kawasaki Z750S

At any rate, I'll stop now.
    2005 Kawasaki Z750S

I'm not trying to shoot down ideas, I'm trying to provide well thought out information as to where those funds should go to benefit us most. If you have empirical data such as I've been linking to that shows this would be a good use of said funds, feel free to share.

As for "I don't believe everything I read online" this isn't me making up or using anecdotal evidence. These are well funded, well controlled studies with clear sources for their data and conclusions. This is exactly the type of thing you should believe on the internet.

I just want to re-inforce, this isn't a personal attack against you or your ideas. I just happen to be familiar with these studies and information and I'm trying to relate that.
    My education comes from 17+ years of riding sportbikes....not some lame studies. When I see people year and year again on cell phones nearly killing me because they are not paying attention then yes I find it a problem! Sure I'd like all cell phones banned while driving, but let's face it that is not going to happen so this was the best I came up with.

Not sure how long you have been riding, but seeing as you joined a year ago makes me wonder if you are paying attention more to studies than what you experience on the road

P.S. I personal train people like you all the time that come in with articles they read on how the best way is to get in shape. They find out quick that reading studies is not the same as getting in their and experiencing it. Same as with sportbikes...someone can read articles all day, but it is the experience that really matters
    Last edited by bulldog; Tue Aug 5th, 2014 at 10:58 AM.

It sure would be nice to have one thread with a potentially positive outcome for the motorcycle community not turn into a pissing contest.

Quote Originally Posted by birchyboy View Post
    It sure would be nice to have one thread with a potentially positive outcome for the motorcycle community not turn into a pissing contest.
    I apologize if this was meant for me. Again I made a suggestion to try to help and then got criticized for it and didn’t appreciate being told my idea was not good when I believe in it

I apologize if this was meant for me. Again I made a suggestion to try to help and then got criticized for it and didn’t appreciate being told my idea was not good when I believe in it
    Not at you in particular.

Well to keep it positive and ideas rolling in, maybe since my issue is with people not paying attention, money could be spent educating the community on why loud exhausts are about more than just a cool sound and why we need these. I’ve actually been pulled over and a cop let me go because he asked me why I had that pipe and I explained it was because people didn’t see me and this is the only way. Or maybe to get the Denver exhaust ban lifted.

Hard one since it is about noise pollution, but I personally have nearly been hit by over 5 cars that just come into my lane and then swerve back and say sorry that they didn’t see me. After getting that loud arse Yoshi exhaust it never happened again and I felt safer.

Not sure if this was one set up, but similar to this:

EDIT: Seems like it is a campaign.....maybe we could join them...just shooting out ideas https://www.facebook.com/LoudPipes2014
    Last edited by bulldog; Tue Aug 5th, 2014 at 12:19 PM.

He's not criticizing you, he's trying to relate new information, which while not intuitive, is backed by a scientific study. Ignore and ignorance are formed from the same root for a reason.

Well to keep it positive and ideas rolling in, maybe since my issue is with people not paying attention, money could be spent educating the community on why loud exhausts are about more than just a cool sound and why we need these. I’ve actually been pulled over and a cop let me go because he asked me why I had that pipe and I explained it was because people didn’t see me and this is the only way. Or maybe to get the Denver exhaust ban lifted.

Hard one since it is about noise pollution, but I personally have nearly been hit by over 5 cars that just come into my lane and then swerve back and say sorry that they didn’t see me. After getting that loud arse Yoshi exhaust it never happened again and I felt safer.

Read this: http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/...yclesound.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by big_sur View Post
    He's not criticizing you, he's trying to relate new information, which while not intuitive, is backed by a scientific study. Ignore and ignorance are formed from the same root for a reason.

Read this: http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/...yclesound.aspx
    See post #43

Brainstorm - Brainstorming is a group or individual creativity technique by which efforts are made to find a conclusion for a specific problem by gathering a list of ideas spontaneously contributed by its member(s).
    Last edited by bulldog; Tue Aug 5th, 2014 at 12:46 PM.