Thread: Skully is almost here!!!

Skully is almost here!!!

So if you saw the Skully helmet videos in the past, you know it's one sick helmet. HUD with rear camera display, music, turn by turn, weather etc (via sync with your phone). I would love to get one. They are opening up the pre-order next Monday.

http://www.skullysystems.com/heads-u...e-helmet-beta/
    Erich-
    2004 SV650S - 8K miles - SOLD
    2003 SV1000S - 15K miles - My new love!

Re: Skully is almost here!!!

I wonder how it compares to a Arai\Shoei\Bell Star as a helmet. The tech stuff is cool, but being a good from a protection\comfort standpoint is what I'm really looking for first and foremost in a helmet. I'll probably have to check them out though if Performance gets some in stock.

I would like to feel one to compare the weight and balance. All that gear has to cost a little in that dept.
    Owner and General Manager - Fun Center Cycles in Durango, CO

11 BMW S1000RR - Street - Lady on the street
    13 Kawi ZX6R - Track - Freak in the bed
    13 Triumph Daytona 675R - Wifes bike

2014 MRA 400 Production Class Champion

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Generic's Avatar

I got an invite for the pre-order, like a bunch of you. I'm really trying to decide between:
    1. Order it and hope it fits right
    2. Order it, re-sell the early model because supplies will be limited
    3. Sit on the sidelines and wait to check fitment.
    Last edited by Generic; Tue Aug 5th, 2014 at 02:26 PM.
    2005 Kawasaki Z750S

What's the price going to be? Does the visor need to be closed for the HUD to function?
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    What's the price going to be? Does the visor need to be closed for the HUD to function?
    That's the $60,000 question at the moment. My guess is north of $1500, but maybe with all the investment they'll be able to push it down into the $1K range (I hope)

No, the HUD is via a prism mounted where your breath guard goes. In the current beta helmets it looks a little scary honestly, like you could lose an eye in an accident.
    2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Quote Originally Posted by Generic View Post
    That's the $60,000 question at the moment. My guess is north of $1500, but maybe with all the investment they'll be able to push it down into the $1K range (I hope)

No, the HUD is via a prism mounted where your breath guard goes. In the current beta helmets it looks a little scary honestly, like you could lose an eye in an accident.
    I imagine they will sell very few helmets if the price point is $1-1.5k. For $1,500 you can get Google Glass, which I imagine can do everything this does except for the rear view camera, and you can wear it when you're not on your motorcycle.

I had the same idea a couple years ago.

Eventually HUD helmets will be available from the major manufactures like Arai and Shoei.

Would be nice to see a radar detector integration. Right now I use a Sena SM10 which transmits bluetooth to my helmet. I plug my phone into the Sena for music/GPS and the radar detector into the aux port.

When the radar detector goes off, the music volume is reduced and the alert is heart over my speakers. Works great but would be nice if it could be integrated to display the radar band and signal strength.
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

So the pre-order is open, $1,399 or you can get a pair and save $350. If you order one and then get five other people to order using your link yours is free... so if 5 of you are in let me know! Otherwise I'm sitting out until I can try the thing on.

Right now the add-on HUD seems like a better deal, 1/3 the cost plus I can put it on a helmet I know fits. You do lose the rear-view however.
    http://www.ridenuviz.com/#intro
    2005 Kawasaki Z750S

I backed the Nuviz kickstarter so I should be getting one when they start shipping. Seems like the better option to me, let helmet companies focus on helmets and electronics companies focus on electronics. I wouldn't be surprised if in the future the helmet companies start integrating this stuff, but for now the external makes more sense to me. I know what helmets fit my head and to me that is more important than electronics.
    Blair
    2000 GSX750F, 2003 YZ450F, 2004 GSXR750, 2006 ZX-14
    2013 CBR500R, 2016 YZF-R6 - MRA #760

That Nuviz is pretty cool. Just need the rear camera too. Looks like everyone will be jumping on this HUD soon enough. Price point still needs to come down a whole lot before I can get one.

Did you see that for a mere $25K you can get a prototype in Feb 2015, and then the normal Skully helmet in May 2015
    http://www.skullysystems.com/#perks

Absolutely absurd.
    Erich-
    2004 SV650S - 8K miles - SOLD
    2003 SV1000S - 15K miles - My new love!

Maybe its me, but I would think for the average rider / driver, the HUD, multiple angle and extra information is too much to process while trying to drive, apply make up / shave, fiddle with iPod, check grinder alerts, etc.

Ever see notice what happens when you rush up on a braking car in traffic? If they see you, they brake harder (unnecessarily) helping you close that gap.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Yup... will wait for other manufacturers to bring it onto the market and help drive these insane prices down.