Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 335i vs wrx

Re: 335i vs wrx

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post

Nice Camaro man

Here is mine:
    Nice Rex man!!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    <Snip...> Thanks on compliments on what I've done to the car. It's taken a little time to get it the way I wanted. <Snip...>
    Yeah man, the personal touches have really transformed it. Those stock wheels, I have to admit, are pretty hideous - so job well done there. The graphic is subtle and tasteful. I like the window tint.

The only thing left to do (if it were mine ) would be to find clear - or smoked if you're into that kind of thing - marker lenses for the front blinkers. Then just put amber colored lamps behind them.
    Last edited by ~Barn~; Fri Aug 8th, 2014 at 01:17 PM.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Ive had several cars on this list, 135i, sti, 2 evo's, 370z, g35c, 03 cobra, s2000 turbo, TBSS.....

The sti and wrx's if just BPU'd will fall on their face at 100mph give or take..... Your 335i will keep pulling away from there bad. Once past the launch, your car should catch them and keep creeping, but the faster you go, the faster they will fall back.

I have an RDX that will give all yall a run for yo money
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

I missed the original, so lets see, here goes....

GMR - yeah right " S60R. Can't go wrong with a Vo!" Very sexy cars but royal PITA to pay for repairs and it is always something. Loved the looks but after 90k miles they just become maintenance queens. At least mine did.

BlackKnight/TOwnie. Black vs other. sure dead sexy but I would rather drive that have to wash. Pearl white may not be as glamorous but less time fiddling, more time with driving other stuff. And hiding scratches etc is no effort.

BlackKnight. you shut your pie hole! " If any ricers(i.e. Subie's) " We are not all that way. I've never owned a pair of white rimmed sunglasses. Confession, I wanted a Camaro when I first saw they were bringing them back with a short body, but it just doesn't fit the needs. AWD, 4 Dr... Yours does look sexy tho. I took this in 2008? at the Atlanta car show.

Townie, I didn't see the original thread. Baseline for 335i TT is $44k. WRX is $26. What the intent of the comparison of apples to oranges?

I do wish the WRX had a 6. Sure, Boxer this n that, but a turbo 6 would be amazing. I haven't had any serious street light to street light opportunities. I would guess the stache scares everyone away these days.

4 dr? need 2 kid seats? what? Good luck with that Snr Camaro...

The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

I've considered a 335i, but all this thread has taught me is "f'k it" and get an M5

Present: 2006 GSXR 750 (black/yellow), 2006 Yamaha R6r (blue)
    Sold: 2011 Ninja 250 (green/black), 2007 R6s (blue)

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post

GMR - yeah right " S60R. Can't go wrong with a Vo!" Very sexy cars but royal PITA to pay for repairs and it is always something. Loved the looks but after 90k miles they just become maintenance queens. At least mine did.

BlackKnight/TOwnie. Black vs other. sure dead sexy but I would rather drive that have to wash. Pearl white may not be as glamorous but less time fiddling, more time with driving other stuff. And hiding scratches etc is no effort.

BlackKnight. you shut your pie hole! " If any ricers(i.e. Subie's) " We are not all that way. I've never owned a pair of white rimmed sunglasses. Confession, I wanted a Camaro when I first saw they were bringing them back with a short body, but it just doesn't fit the needs. AWD, 4 Dr... Yours does look sexy tho. I took this in 2008? at the Atlanta car show.

Townie, I didn't see the original thread. Baseline for 335i TT is $44k. WRX is $26. What the intent of the comparison of apples to oranges?

I do wish the WRX had a 6. Sure, Boxer this n that, but a turbo 6 would be amazing. I haven't had any serious street light to street light opportunities. I would guess the stache scares everyone away these days.

Original post was just a little comment about the Rex vs the 335i. So to keep a simple conversation going I started the new thread.

I actually really like sub's so I'm not bashing them if you think that is what has happened. Just a simple comparison.

While the BMW has a much higher price tag let's look at it from a all form aspect. Yes the 335i that I have has the n54 block. It is a 6 with twin turbos. From all the stats on launch and 0-60 the Rex takes it. Not by much but it does.

On the other hand the 335i isn't really a racer. I more enjoy the relaxing drive I get to enjoy. I have a option to shift myself through the paddles or just out it in auto sit back and listen to some really chill music.

All in all you are correct. Apples and oranges. Two very different worlds with different price tags. Both are amazing cars and both have their ups and downs.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    If you are interested I can ask him, but I am 99% sure he said he just bought the tuner (or maybe a chip) and unleashed major HP. We even talked about this race yesterday and first thing he asked was "is he stock or does he have a chip, because if he has a chip he will easily win, but without it they are pretty close". This is the same guy that had the 500+hp STI so I trust him. F*cker now has that BMW 535 MSport.....his brother has a BMW M6.

I must have been tripping then....I like those black rims. That guy with M6 did same as you pretty much...blacked out most of it and looks awesome.

I ungraded the sound system on mine. Came with a pretty nice Touchscreen with Navigation so I figured out how to use a LC2II to pull RCA outputs. Took out most the stock speakers and replaced them with Infinity Kappas and JL Audios. Then ran a set of edge driven Kappa tweeters powered by my amp in kick panels and used other side of amp to power my titanium Infinity Kappa 10" woofer. Finished it all up with Dynamat throughout car....installed it all myself including power wires to amp and all. Even installed a woofer control so I can bump when I want to...may be the best system I have made to date. All bolted down to stop the thieves
    Yeah I would like to hear what he has done. Not too many people in my circles that have or have had this car. I have a old friend that is a BMW tech at the dealership in reno. I have all the typical issues noted and what to watch for. But for performance I'm more just looking to get a little more power but to sound more aggressive.

well not all of the 15 grand was power adders. the goal wasnt power either. this was 5 years ago, parts were in short supply and expensive. adds up quickly when youre talking over 3grand in quality suspension components, 2 grand wheels and tires, grand for fmic, grand for downpipes, over a grand for the rest of the exhaust, grand in software/tuning, also did an oem M3 front bumper. misc stuff like intakes and racing oil cooler/beefier trans cooler plus labor. dude is at least 70 years old, it wasnt a broke dick lets go fast for cheap build. car was brand new and an absolute dialed in, responsive rocketship of a street car

if it makes yall feel better, we did a 12k+ dollar ticket on an evo 8 and it left with 720 to the wheels
    ~Scott #119

I just sold my 2008 335xi. I had the COBB AccessPort, AWE blowoff valves, BMS DCI intake, UUC Corsa exhaust, and a bunch of cosmetic stuff. Owned it for just over 4 years and loved every minute! You get a lot of bang for your buck with performance mods on this platform.
    Asphalt - Worlds' fastest tattoo remover

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    Yeah man, the personal touches have really transformed it. Those stock wheels, I have to admit, are pretty hideous - so job well done there. The graphic is subtle and tasteful. I like the window tint.

The only thing left to do (if it were mine ) would be to find clear - or smoked if you're into that kind of thing - marker lenses for the front blinkers. Then just put amber colored lamps behind them.
    Yeah the stock wheels are for Winter driving. I figure if should the unfortunate happen and I slide off the road and smash a curb. Those steelies should fare far better than my ZL1 wheels.

I've had several guys on the Camaro5 forum recommend the tint side markers. Something to consider in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post

HAHA!! yeah dude I know lots of people that drive them don't fit the typical "white sunglasses, flat brim hat" mold. There sure a lot that do though. FWIW, one of my good friends has been a huge Subaru guy for years. Yet, he has never fit the stereotypical image that most of them have. And believe me, I love to bag on my own Camaro brethren as much as I do on the ricer contingent.

Nice Subie man.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Senior Member Moderator

Yeah, TBK the V8 guys can eat a fat one. Your V6 is pushing a very respectable amount of HP. Hell, it makes slightly less than the SS did in 2002. As for me, I had a 1989 Camaro RS with the 2.8L V6 making a whopping 135 HP! Back then, yeah, having the V6 pretty much meant you were the step child. Even though mine was gorgeous and got complimented all the time, I always wished I had ripped out the V6 and built a supercharged 305 to swap (yes, 305, not 350). But, in your case, haters can hate all they want, you have a nice car, man!

This is my baby, though the wife uses it more than I do nowadays

2004 A4 1.8T with APR Stage I upgrade. It's not the fastest thing, and if it was a 6 speed I'd do a lot more. Sadly, I've heard bad things happen to Tiptronics when attached to a lot of power.
    Last edited by Drano; Sat Aug 9th, 2014 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drano View Post
    Yeah, TBK the V8 guys can eat a fat one. You're V6 is pushing a very respectable amount of HP. Hell, it makes slightly less than the SS did in 2002. As for me, I had a 1989 Camaro RS with the 2.8L V6 making a whopping 135 HP! Back then, yeah, having the V6 pretty much meant you were the step child. Even though mine was gorgeous and got complimented all the time, I always wished I had ripped out the V6 and built a supercharged 305 to swap (yes, 305, not 350). But, in your case, haters can hate all they want, you have a nice car, man!

This is my baby, though the wife uses it more than I do nowadays

2004 A4 1.8T with APR Stage I upgrade. It's not the fastest thing, and if it was a 6 speed I'd do a lot more. Sadly, I've heard bad things happen to Tiptronics when attached to a lot of power.
    Very nice ride man!!!

HAHA yeah I had a 1983 Camaro in highschool. Looked nice, went absolutely NO WHERE!! when you mashed the throttle. It had the ground pounding 2.8L V6 HAHAHA!! with it's 110hp it shook the earth. Just trying to accelerate with normal traffic was a chore in that thing.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

Gold Member

Lots of very sweet rides around here.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    Original post was just a little comment about the Rex vs the 335i. So to keep a simple conversation going I started the new thread....

..... Both are amazing cars and both have their ups and downs.

Thats fair, I didn't see the original so didn't know the motivation to compare.

I haven't had the chance to drive a 335i, but based on being BMW, sure it cups your rear as you ride around, the Volvo sure did. I do miss some of the luxury features of the Volvo but knew I was giving that up for what drives like a huge go cart on steroids. For .02 I considered the STI, but just too hard edged for me to justify a race car on the street as a commuter. As I said, some days I really wish they had a turbo 6 for the Subie, that would be a screamer.

The Audi was a consideration but after the Volvo repair / maintenance bills, to hell with European luxury........ I want to kit 100k on the Subie so no major mods in my future.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Nice Subie man.
    Thanks. A white wagon is a bit boring in comparison, but cops never really bother me and I do like to speed around. 3 trips to DTC a week gets old doing 70mph....

The most recent rims you have on the Camaro are by far the best of the 3 images you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Drano View Post
    Yeah, TBK the V8 guys can eat a fat one. Your V6 is pushing a very respectable amount of HP. Hell, it makes slightly less than the SS did in 2002. As for me, I had a 1989 Camaro RS with the 2.8L V6 making a whopping 135 HP! Back then, yeah, having the V6 pretty much meant you were the step child. Even though mine was gorgeous and got complimented all the time, I always wished I had ripped out the V6 and built a supercharged 305 to swap (yes, 305, not 350). But, in your case, haters can hate all they want, you have a nice car, man!

Theres always someone who will come along with a bigger, faster, shiner, better <_________> and want to make sure you know it is. If that <______> was the only thing in my life, it might hurt my feelings.

Gold Member

Okay Mr bulldog running tonight. Have a couple of Rex's I'm playing with. Let you know how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    Okay Mr bulldog running tonight. Have a couple of Rex's I'm playing with. Let you know how it turns out.
    Hope you got your two bottles of NOS by tonight. Make sure your floor pan doesn't just fall out from the sheer epic speed you'll be achieving. Remember visualize the win. Everything else will become blurry and form a tunnel around you. All you'll see is the finish line, either that or the guy on the Harley doing warp speed and another guy on a jetbike chasing him down. When it's all said and done, for that 10 seconds or less, you'll be free.

yep I did it, referenced three of the lamest, crappiest movies ever.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

Senior Member Moderator

Hope you got your two bottles of NOS by tonight. Make sure your floor pan doesn't just fall out from the sheer epic speed you'll be achieving. Remember visualize the win. Everything else will become blurry and form a tunnel around you. All you'll see is the finish line, either that or the guy on the Harley doing warp speed and another guy on a jetbike chasing him down. When it's all said and done, for that 10 seconds or less, you'll be free.
    As long as he's not granny shifting, but double-clutching like he should! And two bottles of NOS!? That's enough NOS to blow himself up!

Lucky he didn't blow the welds on the intake lol
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Gold Member

Blaaahahahaha. No clutch. Paddle shifters. Sucks didn't know I was going to need a helemet if I hit 13.99. Been sand bagging.

Gold Member

Well there were a couple of subies running 11 out there. Nice rides. I spent most of the night figuring out what worked and what didn't. Paddle shift or leave it auto. Using tc or not. Trying to get the power up with out spinning the tires.

My reaction time SUCKED! Maybe lack of sleep or I'm just getting old. But my fastest time was a 14.1 with a reaction time of of around .7. The stock subies I played with all ran a low 15. Have some video I will post later.

Reaction time doesn't mean anything unless you're on a pro tree, and I highly doubt that was the case. You're actually smarter to wait until the green light, and roll on that, because R/T has no affect on your times, but if you red light it tossed the run and you won't know until after. My R/T is normally right around a second. The 1/4mi ET/trap and the 60' are the only times that matter! Your 335's trans is really strong at the track, quicker than the manuals for sure. But 1 wheel drive launches suck, so it's time for an LSD!

As as for the Camaro V6 making as much power as the 8 did in 2002, not quite. My Dad's car put 332 to the rear wheels bone stock, and ran a 12.8. Consider the 5th gens added like 1,000lbs, and they're no rocket ship. They're quick, no doubt, but a 4th gen SS will have no problem walking a 5th gen SS. Can't say the same for the 6's, the 5th gen will take that shitty 3.8 any day.

I actually really like the high feature 3.6, it's one of the candidates my my next Fiero. Between it and a LS4. They weigh about the same, make the same power, and will put down the same fuel mileage. It comes down to ease of swap, and ease to hit 450-500hp. The 3.6 may not be much in a 4400lb Camaro, but in a 2800lb Fiero it should do ok.
    Last edited by Aaron; Sun Aug 24th, 2014 at 11:07 AM.