Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Physical training for racers?

Senior Member Yearly Supporter green_zx7r's Avatar

Physical training for racers?

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but since we are fast approaching winter and when our track/race bikes sleep for a while, I wanted to ask how racers train for the next season.

Losing my gut is top priority, but I would like to get back into exercising and I would love to know what type of physical training racers concentrate on for road racing.

I would assume cardiovascular for endurance, but I would like to know if specific muscle groups are worked on.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Yusuke
    Yusuke (U-skay)
    2002 WSBK Eric Bostrom Monza Wild Card Replica ZX-7R
    2006 Track prepped ZX-6R

Always and forever will be a Kawasaki rider.

Re: Physical training for racers?

Many of the top road racers use cycling for endurance training, supplemented with weight lifting. Strong abs are important, as is upper body and lower trunk strength. A basic weight lifting program would include bench press/chest flys, rowing and pull-downs for back, bicep/tricep curls, leg press and/or squats, hamstring curls, calf raises, back extensions, and lots of ab work. And don’t neglect the benefits of good old-fashioned push-ups, pull-ups and dips.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

I know alot of racers simply do the 12oz curl during the off season..

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy";p="244374
    Many of the top road racers use cycling for endurance training, supplemented with weight lifting. Strong abs are important, as is upper body and lower trunk strength. A basic weight lifting program would include bench press/chest flys, rowing and pull-downs for back, bicep/tricep curls, leg press and/or squats, hamstring curls, calf raises, back extensions, and lots of ab work. And don’t neglect the benefits of good old-fashioned push-ups, pull-ups and dips.
    Kind of ironic, coming from Mr. 120lbs.

But yeah, that's good advice. Mostly for racing I'd concentrate on cardio and endurance though, since that seems to be where most racers lose it. You don't need to be a bodybuilder to ride a bike, but having the stamina to last the race without getting whipped will do you wonders.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe";p="244389
    Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy";p="244374
    Kind of ironic, coming from Mr. 120lbs.

But yeah, that's good advice. Mostly for racing I'd concentrate on cardio and endurance though, since that seems to be where most racers lose it. You don't need to be a bodybuilder to ride a bike, but having the stamina to last the race without getting whipped will do you wonders.
    So that makes you what??? "Mr 125 Pounds?"
    The more you sweat in peace...The less you bleed in war.

No longer in Afghanistan...That better Tink???

"Though I walk through the desert in the shadow of death I fear no one for I am the baddest mother f___ in the desert."

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpArKy";p="244395
    So that makes you what??? "Mr 125 Pounds?"
    162 now... Gonna be Team Not-So-Skinny before too long!
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Well, maybe 120 on a good day, with all my gear on…it’s pure muscle baby!
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Well follow my plan strictly.....

Mcdonalds .39cent hanburgers and Ice Cream as often as possible. Supplemented by Ramen of any flavor you like.

Should have no trouble helping that gut out in a hurry
    R6-Forum's June 2010 Ride of the Month!

Sig. Courtesy of GIJoe007

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:
    Rief Resources Media/Rebellion Motorsports /
    Lockhart Phillips / Factory Backing / GoPro Camera

Not that I know much about nutrition/fitness. But I beleive that most top riders in the world are huge cyclers. Spinning definetly helps lower body and legs. Also I beleive its a lot more fun then being in a gym.

Other then that most racers that I know use the dirt bike religiously (Turpin, Turner, Hendry, Sims), and that will definetly get you a work out in a hurry.

If you want to hear more of my rabmling feel free to PM me.
    Gene Bazyl
    MRA, ASMA #502
    AMA SS & FX #503

Damn we are going to have to kick Fat ass off the team lol
    I miss racing..... so so so so so much. Might as well drink

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar

My strict training regiment consists of sitting on the couch and eating "bon-bons" & chips, and drinking beer.
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar
    The Bostrom brothers do a ton of rock climbing. And I believe they supplement that, with a ridiculous amount of sex with various ladies in the greater Las Vegas area.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Here is a link from motorcyclist:
    http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ho...cg/index1.html
    I added rowing to my ever growing training/physical therapy list.
    Also I talked to a trainer after I got her to come to the races.
    A single program of her "Kick and Punch" classes was recommened.
    Combines cardio,strength, flexibility, and core. Plus it may come
    in handy in the pits....
    dja
    MRA #918, now it's 821!

Click here for top notch suspension work-> http://www.fixmybike.com

Resident Hater Site Admin Canuck's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~";p="244567
    The Bostrom brothers do a ton of rock climbing. And I believe they supplement that, with a ridiculous amount of sex with various ladies in the greater Las Vegas area.

Another great activity to do is Running. It can be a bit boring, but it is great for your Respiratory and Cardiovasculary systems. Plus (if you are in decent shape) you feel great, full of energy after you do a couple of miles.
    Everyone had a great point with and what to do. Even Bob
    Just get out and do activities and training that you are comfortable with. Just start out at a good pace and build from there.
    RIP Gene. You are a good friend that will be missed. I'm Gene Bazyl Bitch!!

MV and Yogurt are going to going to Jujitsu practice with me tomorrow. Anybody is welcome to come to that, and see if it's your cup of tea.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

I run about 8-9 miles a week and weight train three times per week. I try to ski really hard at least once a week during the winter as well. Here's my basic workout. I try to varry it every week with one heavier session with lower reps, one normal session, and one lighter session with higher reps. My tris are good enough now, but I'll add something for those muscles and for forearms in the spring.

Bench Press
    4 sets, 1 warm up at 145 for 12 reps, 1 set 205 till failure (usually around 8 reps), 1 set 185 till failure (usually around 8 again), 1 set 145 till burn out (usually around 15)

Shoulder Press
    3-4 sets, sometimes 1 warm up with 30lbs dumbells 10 reps, 1 set with 55lbs dumbells till failure (around 8 reps), 1 set with 50lbs till failure, 1 set with 40 lbs till burnout (around 10)

Side Flys
    1 set with 30 lbs dumbells , 1 with 25 lbs dumbells, and 1 burnout set with 25lbs dumbells

Front Flys
    same weights/sets as side flys

Pushups
    Two sets of 40 each

Bicep Curls on the rack that puts your elbows out in front of you at a 40 degree angle when you sit down. I can't remembe what it's called. Biceps are probably unecessary for racing, so I need to stop this.
    4 sets, 1 warmup with 15lbs on each side of the bar, 1 set with 30;bs each side, 1 set with 25lbs each side, 1 burnout set with 20lbs on each side

Weighted Decline Situps
    I use the decline situp manchine and hold a dumbell under my chin for resistance, rotating to alternative sides as I come up.
    1 warmup set with no weight 20 reps, 1 set with 55lbs dumbell under chin for 40 reps, 1 burnout set with no weight for 30 reps

Crunches
    1-2 sets of 40-60 till burnout

Running
    Mon. 3 miles normal pace
    Wen. 1.5 mile sprint
    Fri. 4 miles slower pace
    MRA 36 & AMA 336

I’ve been hitting the weights hard, and eating lots of sushi. Ya may not even recognize me.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

That really is John. Problem though, is that that picture is actually to scale!
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

um, I don't race yet but i'll be glad to give you a lil advice on any problem muscle area you develop.
    It's a celebration bitches!!! - RIP 502

Motos:
    2003 SV1000N - Dual Yosh RS3 CF Exhaust ••••• 09' Aprilia SR50 (Wife's) ••••• 93' ZX-11 - Sold after 43k Miles
    Cars:
    08' Audi S5 6MT •••• 10' VW TDI Cup Edition 6MT •••• 02' VW TDI Beetle 5MT •••• 07' Ford Explorer

I guess I'll chime in here...

The most important part of the "Get fit" for racing regimine is nutrition. You can't begin a program and expect the changes you are looking for to stick without proper nutrition. With that said, the obvious next thing in line is training. Most people feel that simply to get what they are looking for, they can do the "Upper/Lower" routine or a more specified body part workout. The thing that athletes don't realize is that success in your sport, is based on sports specific training. With bodybuilding, there is general way to acheive results. But in the pro's, they get very very detailed about their workouts.

With Road racing, cycling is a key part of training, however, you have to realize the other muscles involved in racing. Again, it boils down to sports specific. Now this always isn't true, but from what I've seen in my training, only very talented athletes can do the basics and get by and still be the victor. I speak from experience both hands on and non hands on, education and commitment to what I believe encompass's what the athlete is looking for. I'm willing to work with people who are seriously interested in getting in shape for the next MRA season. Time is running out as December 31, is the latest I'll accept people to help.

Again, I state that dirt riding, cycling is all good..but there is so much more involved that can promote or propel you to the next level of what you're trying to achieve...

Biggs
    Talofa!, O a mai oe? O lou igoa o, Maka. Ua ou fiafia ua ta teiloai.
    Polynesian Tatau or Traditional Tattoos that are amazing ~ http://www.sacredcentertattoo.com/default.aspx
    It isn't the history that makes the man, it's the man that makes history.
    Psalm Ch. 18 v.39

He aint called the ROCK for nuthen
    Christopher MRA 915
    02 GSXR 750 (first racer)
    04 R1 (current racer)
    02 VTX 1800R (gone)
    02 Shawdow 750 (gone)
    05 ST 1300
    02 WR 426
    95 KX 250
    03 Zuma
    06 PW 50 (Hunters first bike)

I think Kickboxing would be really good for staying fit plus develops quick reflexes. Lots of Formula 1 drivers kickbox , Michael Shumacher ...
    Anyway , I can offer help with kickboxing and muai thay training , I have my own small studio at my house in Denver, and it's no charge or just donation based for CSC members.
    Steve
    www.contactkicks.com
    ' 94 Ninja ZX7

PT is very important,sadly i didnt do any physical traing last year.While i did have OK results for the season.In the 7 classes i raced
    i finished 2nd overall in 3 three classes,3rd in one class,5th in two other classes.I also finished 11th in ROR O.
    On the other hand my teammate trains very hard daily.He won 3 class championships and had a 3rd overall as well.
    So guess who is going to work his ass off for next year

Matt please call me when you can,i would like to talk with you about some training.
    719-494-7185
    mike
    No doubt about the future, No regrets about the past!