Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Blood Letting w/ ~Barn~

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Re: Blood Letting w/ ~Barn~

Ah!... Well no worries then. Maybe in a couple months I'll shoot for a Monday slot.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

See you there Barn!!!

Jeanna

Quote Originally Posted by Shortcake View Post
    See you there Barn!!!
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

- Tonight.
    - 5:00.
    - Bonfils in Highlands Ranch.
    - Me, Wayne-Mob, and The Shortcake.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Okay... Not everybody at once!

- Saturday, the 25th.
    - 1:00 PM
    - Me, Wayne-Mob, and Red.
    - You?
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

just curious do you know where your blood is going with this org?

I'm in for the next one.
    The time to hesitate is through
    No time to wallow in the mire
    Try now we can only lose
    And our love become a funeral pyre

07 cbr600rr - cookie
    02 yzf600r - sold

Quote Originally Posted by 2009RavenR1 View Post
    Bonfils is the organization that supplies the blood bank in this region. Elsewhere the Red Cross does it, but they are only disaster relief here. So no worries, there isn't any funky experimentation going on here - tis all fo the good of the community!

EDIT: Oh and Barn - I'll be in pending how my other plans for the day go!
    ~Jess~
    2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
    2008 Kawi GREEN Ninja 650R

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Sometimes things happen beyond our power and we can't make it. Like...your brake lines "accidentally" get cut, or a nice man comes through your window in the middle of the night and politely suggests you withdraw from the activity...who knows?

Not particularly. Just hopefully to somebody who needs it.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

The reason I was asking is that some places sell the blood over seas... Not that it doesn't save a life there.... but I would rather save an americans life (just me i dunno?).... I donate as much as possible, being O neg I am the universal blood giver. I try to donate to places that keep the blood in the military. Also, synthetic blood should be available to the public within the next few years, this will almost eliminate the need for human blood donations.

Yippie!! Needles and Free Ice Cream

Jeanna

Ah..I see.
    Yes...Bonfils only supplies the local banks and maybe neighboring areas when a disaster or something happens.
    Synthetic blood has been being used in Denver for a bit now in an FDA experiment. Denver Health ambulances are doing the study on their trauma patients. There has been a bit of controversy over the matter since the patients are typically unable to refuse to take part in the study at the time. The way to opt out was to wear some bracelet that a lot of folks simply didn't know about. I'm not sure whatever came of that whole deal. If I recall correctly, the study hit some snags anyway and they are finding that it may not be as beneficial as previously thought? Once we find something that works tho, it will be great and us field personnel will be able to do so much more for our patients!!!
    ~Jess~

Sometimes things happen beyond our power and we can't make it. Like...your brake lines "accidentally" get cut, or a nice man comes through your window in the middle of the night and politely suggests you withdraw from the activity...who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    Okay... Not everybody at once!

- Saturday, the 25th.
    - 1:00 PM
    - Me, Wayne-Mob, and Red.
    - You?
    I was just thinking of this. With the Jason Britton show coming up, it's one year ago that we lost Randy to that terrible accident. That was the first time I had donated blood, and I think it's time I did again, just in case someone else needs it

Don't know if I'll join you down there Barn, but I'll get the job done in B-town.

Well the US military is usually the guinnai pigs for stuff like this. It works well in a healthy person.. ie enough white and red blood cells, enough platelets.... But people who are sick with still need human blood for all of the antibodies and cells in the blood. it is synthetic plasma, not really blood... guess it was easier to call it blood than plasma

I was just thinking of this. With the Jason Britton show coming up, it's one year ago that we lost Randy to that terrible accident. That was the first time I had donated blood, and I think it's time I did again, just in case someone else needs it

Don't know if I'll join you down there Barn, but I'll get the job done in B-town.
    Something else you may want to consider Sean is apheresis donation. You can do it more often since they don't take all of the blood, they actually just take different components depending upon your blood type. This can actually help a lot more people with a single donation too! I don't have a super common blood type, so they actually prefer I do the apheresis vs. whole blood donation. It takes a little bit longer, but they tell me that my one donation helps at least three folks as opposed to the one person in whole donation.
    ~Jess~

Good deal man. Somebody will benefit from it.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

ill go -- even tho i 'gave' blood every week for 10 weeks during that f'n phlebotomy thing -- ill be there! maybe i can draw on myself, haha!

I would call for an appointment Lindsey!
    (303) 341-4000
    We have appointments at 1:00 and 1:10pm, anything around that time'll work.

We could go for a late lunch after or something

Jeanna

Well the US military is usually the guinnai pigs for stuff like this. It works well in a healthy person.. ie enough white and red blood cells, enough platelets.... But people who are sick with still need human blood for all of the antibodies and cells in the blood. it is synthetic plasma, not really blood... guess it was easier to call it blood than plasma
    Oh I know! But how many healthy/stable folks are needing these infusions? I understand that we have to start somewhere...but the majority of both military patients and the patients I'm seeing are hypovolemic/shocky due to trauma and need the hemoglobin and cellular structures for it to do any good. Cellular metabolism just can't happen w/out 'em! lol Anyhoo... enough thread jacking - sorry Barn! lol
    Raven - I'd really love to talk to ya more about the studies and such if ya want in PM land (I find this stuff fascinating).
    ~Jess~

Oh crap!!! I just went on the website to set up an appt with you guys and just saw the reminder on eligibility. I can't do it for a year now since my piercings weren't done at a Dr's office....grrrrr!
    ~Jess~

Dammit! I'm not eligible until NEXT wednesday. Keep the dialogue going on this one so maybe I can get the timing right next time!

Quote Originally Posted by Shortcake View Post
    We have appointments at 1:00 and 1:10pm, anything around that time'll work.

We could go for a late lunch after or something
    I will join ya for blood letting by 1:20pm

It works! Slow in, Fast out
    "Sarcasm is difficult to convey on the internet, especially if the people reading it don't know you personally". By Spiderman
    Neither irony nor sarcasm is argument. By Rufus Choate
    Be smart, be nice, do what'cha love and always have fun.
    Let food be your medicine, and medicine be your food. - Hippocrates
    I will use treatment to help the sick. I will never use it to injure them or wrong them. I will not give poison to anyone. - The Hippocratic Oath

Quote Originally Posted by dapper View Post
    I will join ya for blood letting by 1:20pm

SWEET! See you there!

Jeanna

We'll see you there, Dan.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson