So I've done some further digging on this issue, and although I continue to dig and there is a lot more information to be unearthed (including much of the history and what the MOST program came from) here are the current facts I have to report:

- The MOST Program is managed by CDOT, and has 1 staff person available to them. Currently this staff person has spent the majority of their time on working with vendors on processing the rebates. CDOT's position is that MOST's staff person can better be utilized. Why not get another staff person you might ask? I wasn't provided a direct answer to this, however it seemed to hinge on things much bigger than MOST or CDOT and seemed to have something to do with greater state politics. Either way, the practical way forward is that staff isn't going to increase.
- Along with MOST, CDOT runs other campaigns for motorcycle safety, specifically and not. Look here: http://www.coloradodot.info/programs and here: http://www.coloradodot.info/programs/live-to-ride
- Included in MOST is some data gathering, all of which is available through CDOT to anybody who wants it. These statistics and the MOST Advisory Board (which has a member from every party who is impacted by it, riders, insurance, vendors, law-enforcement, legislature, etc) guide where MOST's money is allocated.
- Currently the MOST statue (http://www.sos.state.co.us/CCR/Gener...VersionId=5642) describes the provision of a program for basic rider education toward attaining an endorsement. This is currently the MSF BRC, but could be another curriculum to teach beginning riders the basics of riding a motorcycle. It does not make room for advanced rider courses. This has changed recently, went into effect last year - (Just as a side note and observation - ABATE was all over this change to MOST, and with more members/support things might have turned out differently. I'm not saying it should have turned out differently, but I do know ABATE was there and watching. If you, reader, are mad at the outcome, maybe you should join them as they watch all motorcycle related legislation).
- The MOST program is scheduled to be sunset in 2017, so, is it worth trying to legislate it to look different, or to put the time we have into making it the most effective program it can be, showing legislatures it's worth keeping around?

I'm not going to get into the history of MOST yet, I'm just sharing what I know about the program currently in effect.

The controversy surrounding MOST is how the money should be spent ($2/endorsement, $4/motorcycle registration, totaling about $1.2Million, $800,000 this year.) CDOT is presenting the idea of hiring an oversight entity of some sort to quality check and standardize motorcycle training from the current vendors to ensure all students receive certified training. There are a total of 17 vendors with prices ranging from $50/class - $250/class. CDOT has received feedback that a quality basic rider training course that results in a student's motorcycle endorsement is a reasonable value up to $250. What is more important than the price, according to their research, is that it fit into the student's schedule. CDOT has very explicitly stated that they do not want to put anybody out of business, and that the vendors have built a great infrastructure for training new riders, but there is inconsistency, and that needs to be fixed. How best to do that?

Please keep in mind, MOST is a bill for basic rider skills, it is meant to enable new riders, beginning riders and riders who can use a refresher on motorcycle riding, to ride a motorcycle. It is not meant to teach an experienced rider to ride harder, faster, or in conditions that is otherwise taught to be avoided and dangerous. We'll get to advanced rider training in just a moment... So, in order to provide consistent training, how should MOST use it's money to train riders on the basic of motorcycle operation? MOST is the program which certifies a trainer, a program to provide adequate training so that the DMV, which is part of the Department of Revenue (DOR), can provide a motorcycle operator with a motorcycle endorsement. Therefor, MOST needs to first and foremost make sure that all the vendors are educating to the same standard. With just 1 person on staff, that is next to near impossible. As a possible student, do you think you're getting the same quality from the $50 and $250 training? And if you are, why does one vendor charge $250 and the other $50? Where is the difference? Why the different prices, if not for a difference in quality? This is what CDOT, and the MOST Advisory Board is trying to understand how best to accomplish.

How do you think CDOT/MOST should go about providing a consistent, quality, basic rider training program all across the state of Colorado while respecting the place of vendors and not wanting to put them out of business (or re-invent the wheel for that matter)?

How do you think some vendors who have a tougher time providing competitive rates to this end might respond differently than vendors who have figured out a way to provide the same quality training at a reduced cost? Or, let me ask the same question in a different way: Wouldn't you want to know if a course's quality is lower if it has a lower price?

OK, so let's move on to the idea of advanced or continuing education in a more general sense using the MSF curriculum as an example. Remember, CDOT is state, not federal - Colorado Department of Transportation. Quite plainly, the MOST statue does not currently allow for continuing or advanced education (please reference link above), however, there are many federal grants available which anybody can apply for the start an advanced training program. CDOT has even tried provided the ARC to some riders for free, but stopped because of the lack of interest... So, from the data then, it seems in general riders want the basic training, and then to build their skills by themselves or through other means than training... Is this because of the way we, as current and experienced riders build this as a standard, as a culture, to the newbies coming in? Sure, we all tell them to take the BRC, but do we take the ARC, and provide a market for such a class? There is a rather large market for the BRC because it's a huge success....

PLEASE NOTE: MOST is required to provide a basic rider training course, the BRC or Basic Rider course and the ARC Advanced Rider course are MSF specific courses and their names are used in this instance as an example of qualifying curricula, not as specific of what will be taught. This is important, as the MSF is one provider of curricula, there are others and although CDOT currently uses the MSF BRC as a curriculum they do not want to be limited to or defined by that.

Having said all of this, thank you for reading and understand this issue to a greater extent! Please know that CDOT is very open to suggestions, through the MOST Advisory Board, and BornwildandFree is your contact and your voice (as a motorcycle rider). Contact her with your thoughts on this as it is her role to report back to CDOT with what you, the riding community is thinking. Don't just throw a one-line PM... If you want your opinion to count for something, present it like you care....

Think about the issue, do some of your own research, at the very least, get to know all of the parties/players involved. Please keep an eye on this thread, as I will continue to tell the story of MOST as I'm able.

And for now, I need your immediate input - where else can we take this discussion to encompass more riders? Here we are most sport bikers... I will be posting this on ADVRider in the Rockies Regional. Where else?