Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

0 0%
  • No

6 60.00%
  • Need More Info

4 40.00%

Thread: Should the MOST Program go away?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Should the MOST Program go away?

*edited to include the information provided by Terry from ABATE. Please also see my apology to Terry posted below.

I apologize, this has taken a long time for me to write, partially because I have been checking facts and partially because I've been trying to wrap my head around what's been happening. I went to the CDOT MOST Motorcycle Operator Safety Advisory Board meeting and here's what I came away with:

1. Most of the people that were there were for profit vendors (T3RG and Motorcycle Training Academy are on the board), and the for profit vendors (T3RG and MTA), IMHO, were very upset that CDOT wants to end the vendor rebate. More info on this: For the longest time, the vendors could basically use the fund as their own slush fund, applying for and receiving funding for things such as picnic tables and new motorcycles. That ended after an investigation by the state which was started, in part, by ABATE (thank God someone was paying attention), now the rebate has been limited to classes that result in an endorsement and it is only $35 per student. CDOT spends a lot of time verifying what the vendors send them and making sure the rebate is warranted. This is part of their duties, but they are very tired of trying to rangle the vendors.

2. CDOT wishes to end the rebate program to the vendors. Instead they wish to:
    a. Bring in a company to oversee the vendors and make sure they are compliant. This will most likely be the MSF (which brings on it's own problems and I don't necessarily agree with it) but could be any motorcycle company that applies for the job
    b. Take the remaining money and if it's financially feasible, give the rebate directly to the student using a 3rd party rebate program (something like Visa gift card rebates). Feasible means if the third party company isn't going to charge too much and if the student rebate is going to be more than say $10.

3. The Department of Revenue is the one responsible for collecting the fees from our endorsements and registrations and according to ABATE, the collection of the fees will end when MOST ends, however according to CDOT, DOR will continue to collect the fees. I have a call to the Department of Revenue to confirm whether ending MOST will end the Fee collection. Depending on the answer, that sways my vote.

4. I have to go to a meeting on the 22nd sponsored by the Coalition of Clubs to "bring me into the fold" and try and talk me into supporting the end of MOST this year through legislation. Last time I checked, I'm not a sheep, however, it is not what I believe that I must represent. It is the riders of Colorado. So I need your help.

Now, for my opinions:
    The MOST program is pretty messed up right now and the reason we are in this mess, IMHO, and in danger of losing the program lands partially on CDOT, but mostly on the vendors. They used the MOST funds as their own personal slush fund. Now that they won't be getting a check anymore they are very angry and want to end the program all together. They are also seem opposed to having anyone oversee that they are in compliance.

If ending the most program means the ending the fund collection, then maybe MOST should end. It's a big pile of crap and while it does some good, there are federal funds available to provide awareness etc.

However, if ending the MOST program means the funds will still be collected and put into a general fund, then no, the MOST program shouldn't end. According to CDOT and DOR, it is extremely difficult to end a tax on anything if the state is collecting it so it is very likely that the fees will still apply even if the MOST program ends which means we will still be paying for the program but have no control and no vote on what happens to those funds. They will go into the general fund to be used by the state as it sees fit.

I also have a question out to the DOR asking if they will still accept the endorsement certificates from vendors if the MOST program ends. The vendors say yes, CDOT and DOR say no. I'll keep you posted on that one as well.

If you can't tell, I'm pretty angry about the whole thing. I am really angry at the vendors on the board for acting like small children, screaming because their check won't be happening any more. It looked like something off of Jerry Springer. "How dare they take away my check! That's it the program must end. " I'm angry that they are trying to bring me into the fold and I'm angry that I've been lied to by people that I thought I could trust. So thanks for hanging out through the whole thing. Please vote and let me know what you think.
    Last edited by bornwildnfree; Wed Sep 10th, 2014 at 09:43 AM.
    "With every broken bone, I swear I lived."