Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glenwood Hot Springs Anyone? 9/20 - KSU 9:00 @ MoCo

Glenwood Hot Springs Anyone? 9/20 - KSU 9:00 @ MoCo

Hi, everyone!

I'm looking to get a group together to enjoy a nice ride up to the Gelnwood's hot springs not this Saturday, but the next (27th or 28th for that matter). Heck, as long as it's not too cold and the road is fine, any weekend day really (minus this coming 20th/21st).

I'm thinking day trip, leave early in the morn, get a nice ride in, and eventually make it to the springs where we'll all chill out. Taking I-70W coming from Longmont is a little under 200 miles. Although I-70W can be nice at times, I vote finding a fun twistie route. If we do make it a single day trip, I definitely recommend we leave the springs before 6...like 5:30pm latest. Took a trip up there last weekend and left at 6:30. HUGE mistake. It was freezing!

Let me know if any of you are interested!
    2014 Panigale 899
    2014 DRZ400sm

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar

Re: Glenwood Hot Springs Anyone?

I'd be down for that!
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

Train ride up and back with a one night stay at one of the hotels is a blast as well. Drink going up on the train, go to the bath house, party that night. the next morning get up and have some breakfast and then catch the train back to Union Station.

Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Long...40.1672068!3e0

One suggestion. Takes in old Loveland Pass, Hwy24, Independence Pass, Gore Pass, and RMNP .. might be an overnighter to give you time to enjoy the hot springs. Some good opportunities for leaf peeping along the way.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Right now it all depends which days(s) everyone can make it. Talking to people not on forum, looks like this sat (maybe sunday) will be best bet. Otherwise the 28th. That looks like a fun route! But RMNP...grr...
    2014 Panigale 899
    2014 DRZ400sm

What about making it an overnight? 3 of us just did a stay in Pogosa Springs last weekend (Durango trip).

we got to the hotel around 530, parked the bikes, changed into clothes and walked over to the hot springs for dinner, relaxing in the pools and enjoining the scenery for the rest of the evening. It was lots of fun, recommended.
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

I'm for sure in for this one.

Alrighty, so it looks like most people would prefer an overnighter up at GS (FB/forum). This weekend looks best. Who is available to do this weekend?
    2014 Panigale 899
    2014 DRZ400sm

Board Newbie

Let's do it!

I'm a very strong "probably" for this weekend.

I can help plan the route, just need to figure out a starting location. Looking at those who have expressed interest it looks like we have people coming from all along the front range. Colorado Springs, Littleton, Wheatridge, Longmont, ect.

Glenwood is not all that far away so it might not be a bad idea to meet up and leave a little later in the morning, say around 9 or 10? Last weekend when we went to Pagosa Springs, we left my house at 7:15AM and it was cold! It was 39 degrees in Colorado Springs and by the time we hit Deckers 45 minutes later it was 36 with visible frost on the plants. It warmed up nicely by noon and eventually I transitioned from my heated gear + sweat shirt under my jacket to just my jacket with the vents all opened. By the time we hit Durango I was unziping my jacket to ride through town and get some air

Here's my route suggestion for day 1 to get to Glenwood Springs. If you're planning on attending, please provide your feedback.

It would be 400 miles from MoCO and feature the following highlights:

http://goo.gl/maps/dULcJ

Deckers
    Cripple Creek
    Hway 50 sweepers (40 miles worth, these are always fun)
    Monarch Pass
    Black Canyon
    Highway 133 between Paonia and Carbondale (my personal favorite road in all of Colorado).

If we KSU from MOCO at 9AM we should arrive to Glenwood Springs at about 6PM. Perfect timing to get dinner, some drinks and head to the hot springs to relax!

On a group ride we should average 50 miles per hour including all of the little stops for breaks, gas, pictures, ect. Add in another hour for lunch in Gunnison.

If 400 miles is too long, here is a shorter option:

http://goo.gl/maps/eDwME

Removes Highway 50, Monarch Pass, Black Canyon and 133 but adds Indie Pass. 282 miles or about 5 1/2 hours of riding.

Thoughts???
    Last edited by Clovis; Tue Sep 16th, 2014 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Forgot to include map URL link to first route option

I'm game either way. It's going to be an awesome ride either way!
    2014 Panigale 899
    2014 DRZ400sm

The only people I know who are 100% going are me, Elliot, and Deb. Who else is committed?
    2014 Panigale 899
    2014 DRZ400sm

You guys and your crazy long rides. I was planning to do a Deckers ride on Saturday actually. Don't know if I would be able to make it to GW Springs, but I could at least tag along on the ride ot Deckers depending on the time you are leaving. Sounds like you guys might do a decent KSU since you are splitting it up to 2 days and not leaving at 6am! Once the final KSU is listed I will see about tagging along at least til Deckers.
    2005 Suzuki SV650s Blue (SOLD), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636 Lime Green

Lisa is coming too. UHATEIT, sounds good.
    2014 Panigale 899
    2014 DRZ400sm

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

I'll be on-call for work, so I'm a longshot at best. Have fun though, if this goes down this weekend. I'll be very jealous if you guys mix HW24 into the ride; one of my absolute favs.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl_Sydney View Post
    The only people I know who are 100% going are me, Elliot, and Deb. Who else is committed?
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

Sorry Bob! I got mixed up! BOB IS COMING TOO!
    3 more people are maybes.
    2014 Panigale 899
    2014 DRZ400sm

Still a maybe. I was planning to have my parents watch our daughter for the weekend but they just got an cash offer on their house (they're moving). They're closing on their new house on Monday also here in town but weren't planning on moving from one to the other right away. Now with this offer the buyers are living in a hotel and anxious to move so they're closing next Wednesday which means they will be busy moving this weekend =/

I may meet up in Gunnison or some were in that area. I missed the last Clovis ride. I'd like to get a few more miles on the bike before the weather turns. Not sure if I'll stay in Glenwood tho. Where is everyone staying?

Ugh!!! I'm booked the next two weekends otherwise I'd be all over this. Have fun!!!
    Jimi
    2013 Honda CBR500R Previous: 1989 Honda CR250R

I won't be able to make it. But, its GREAT to see some activity again on the forum, including the ride last weekend

A few people are making it a day trip and heading back in the evening. Anyone's welcome to do that too! As far as where everyone is staying, no definite hotel or whatnot. A lot of places are booked/filling up so it's a fend for yourself kind of thing at the moment. Will post updates as they come.

I highly recommend you guys checking out www.airbnb.com for accommodations.. that's what I usually use when I travel. Sometimes u come across dirt cheap deals with a decent/nice place. Have fun guys, wish i could make this one.. got alot going on this weekend with selling the house & getting rid of our things etc.