Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Monday, October 13 HPR Motorcycles Only Lapping

Re: Monday, October 13 HPR Motorcycles Only Lapping

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    You can't be serious with the b) part of your post. I mean really? Worrying about showing off and looking cool to others. This is the exact kind of mentality that gets you more tickets. Trying to be awesome and show off is what squids do plain and simple.

Hands down this is one of the main pros for me to stop riding the street are all the squidies running around trying to loom impressive. Yeah most people grow out of that mentality at age 12. Least I did for that matter.
    You're wrong when you say most people grow out of that phase when they're 12. You're also wrong if you think people don't buy ducatis and the most extravegant R1 they can find because they want to look cool. I personally didn't buy a bike to look cool. It's fun as hell to ride, but the fact that people/girls think they're super sexy is true. Hell I was at a car/bike meet and had a girl in a stupid short dress ask for a ride. I said no for obvious reasons.

Yes, I'm not going to lie, sometimes I'll cruise downtown fort collins and rev my bike to look cool. Do I know it's dumb, yes. Some people hate it and some people love it. Am I really affecting anyone? No, besides maybe how people think about sportsbikes. I know it's also irrogant of me to say this but do I want to stop? No, because it's really fun to do so and I like the attention. Now read again, I don't ride just to look cool, it just happens to be an attribute because people like sportsbikes.

Call me a squid if you like, I always wear gear, never wheelie, pay attention to everything possible and NORMALLY dont rev/speed fast. I'm also 21 and trying to see what life is about here now that I'm at a University.

I'm entirely open to what you have to say, so feel free to speak your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    That was one ticket too. A 40 over from CSP. But believe it or not most people here have paid about the same over their years of riding. Between the fines, lawyer fees, point deductions, and insurance premiums going up the cost of "tearing up the canyons" is high.

I still street ride, thankfully I'm in a position where I can afford to. But if I could only afford one or the other, give me a cheap shit 10 year old 600 and a track day and I'll be a happy man. But I ride slow and safe. I follow the speed limit, and keep a sharp eye out for dangers. On the track I go into corners sideways, leave black stripes on corner exits, and hang the front wheel on the straights.

I like riding the sreeet, for the reasons you mentioned and more. But I've learned more in 6 lapping days on the track than I have in 16 years of riding on the street/dirt. And learning at the track makes me a better street rider, because I have a better understanding of how far I can push my machine.
    Holy $hit, I didn't know that it could get THAT expensive for one ticket.

I hear all of you guys about the track, I would love to go, but right now I'm just not able in my situation, I love my bike too much to sell it and go for the cheap track bike and use that extra money to go to track days. Is it in my future? I really hope so! I'd really like to learn what you have Aaron, in your 6 lapping days compared to 16 years of riding.

I'm not trying to be a dick here. Just explaining my situation and trying to learn from others (as hard as it may be to "get through my head")
    06 GSXR 750

Quote Originally Posted by Ph03niX View Post
    Hell I was at a car/bike meet and had a girl in a stupid short dress ask for a ride. I said no for obvious reasons.
    I'm also 21 and trying to see what life is about
    I'd say you haven't learned

I hear all of you guys about the track, I would love to go, but right now I'm just not able in my situation, I love my bike too much to sell it and go for the cheap track bike and use that extra money to go to track days. Is it in my future? I really hope so! I'd really like to learn what you have Aaron, in your 6 lapping days compared to 16 years of riding.

I'm not trying to be a dick here. Just explaining my situation and trying to learn from others (as hard as it may be to "get through my head")
    Well 750 of that was for the attorney, but facing 12 points I needed the attorney.

So don't sell your bike, take it to the track. I do mine, by all comparison an expensive machine. Just don't push very hard, and the odds of you crashing are just about zero.

It is amazing how much I learn every track day, and it makes me a better street rider. I'm able to explore the limits of my bike, how to control it at those limits, and how it feels approaching them. You won't ever learn that stuff on the street, and that's why so many guys crash out when their brakes lock up (And why their brakes lock up in the first place).

Senior Member Moderator

Both street riding and track riding have their advantages. For instance, if you're riding the same roads every year, then you might as well be riding on the track. You'll probably have more fun there, be able to ride as fast as you want, and not have to worry about tickets. Honestly, most of us go out hoping for perfect roads with no traffic so that we can have the ride of our lives. It can be found on the track. However, the track is not without its dangers, especially if you're pushing the limit. Crashes still happen, people still get hurt, and some people die. The advantage of the track is that EMS are only seconds away rather than hours. Track riding will teach you more about your limits, and those of your bike, in a controlled environment. Most of the street riders I know who also track their bikes are wicked fast, and deceivingly so, because they are much more aware of their limits. Many of them also say they've lost their desire to push on the streets due to track riding, so it could help deter you from racking up unnecessary tickets on the street.

Track riding is not cheaper. For reasons I've mentioned earlier. It may start out innocuous enough, but I compare track riding to golf in a lot of ways. Both are games you play against yourself, unless you're racing in the MRA, AMA, etc. Each lap around the track you are trying to better your last time. If you're not, then what's the point? You burn through tires. Some start spending money upgrading components, and changing settings. Eventually, stock parts aren't enough. Things like slipper clutches, quick shifters, more power, better suspensions, and so on become necessary expenses. Unless, of course, you're already riding an HP4, RSV Factory, or Panigale, but then you already spent $+20k for your bike.

Motorcycle riding is also about adventure. It's freedom to go and see what this world has to offer. I can watch an episode of Top Gear, see one of the epic roads they're driving, and think to myself, "I'm going to ride that some day." Personally, I'll never limit myself to only riding the track when there are many places in my own country I have yet to see, let alone in the world. Also, tickets are not a guaranteed part of street riding and has everything to do with you. I've only had 2 tickets my entire time riding, both of them were justified. Both of them were also the result of trying to do far too many miles in a single day whilst racing against the clock. They could have been avoided with better planning and a more effective use of time. It's the price you sometimes have to pay if you want to play.

Riding is also about community. It's about being with friends, getting out, having a good ride, stopping at Zoka's or Oskar Blues, and hanging out. Some of the best memories I've had in my life occurred on and around these Colorado roads, and I wouldn't trade them for a single track day.

In the end, I say do both if you can, and ride responsibly. They both offer an experience you'll likely never forget, and that's the best part of living.
    Last edited by Drano; Wed Oct 15th, 2014 at 06:14 PM.

Well said, Drano!

You're wrong when you say most people grow out of that phase when they're 12. You're also wrong if you think people don't buy ducatis and the most extravegant R1 they can find because they want to look cool. I personally didn't buy a bike to look cool. It's fun as hell to ride, but the fact that people/girls think they're super sexy is true. Hell I was at a car/bike meet and had a girl in a stupid short dress ask for a ride. I said no for obvious reasons.

Yes, I'm not going to lie, sometimes I'll cruise downtown fort collins and rev my bike to look cool. Do I know it's dumb, yes. Some people hate it and some people love it. Am I really affecting anyone? No, besides maybe how people think about sportsbikes. I know it's also irrogant of me to say this but do I want to stop? No, because it's really fun to do so and I like the attention. Now read again, I don't ride just to look cool, it just happens to be an attribute because people like sportsbikes.

Call me a squid if you like, I always wear gear, never wheelie, pay attention to everything possible and NORMALLY dont rev/speed fast. I'm also 21 and trying to see what life is about here now that I'm at a University.

You're young, you'll grow up sooner or later. When I say you'll grow up, I mean you'll grow out of the "Look I'm cool cause I rev my sportbike so people will notice me" phase.

Quote Originally Posted by Drano View Post
    Both street riding and track riding have their advantages. For instance, if you're riding the same roads every year, then you might as well be riding on the track. You'll probably have more fun there, be able to ride as fast as you want, and not have to worry about tickets. Honestly, most of us go out hoping for perfect roads with no traffic so that we can have the ride of our lives. It can be found on the track. However, the track is not without its dangers, especially if you're pushing the limit. Crashes still happen, people still get hurt, and some people die. The advantage of the track is that EMS are only seconds away rather than hours. Track riding will teach you more about your limits, and those of your bike, in a controlled environment. Most of the street riders I know who also track their bikes are wicked fast, and deceivingly so, because they are much more aware of their limits. Many of them also say they've lost their desire to push on the streets due to track riding, so it could help deter you from racking up unnecessary tickets on the street.

Track riding is not cheaper. For reasons I've mentioned earlier. It may start out innocuous enough, but I compare track riding to golf in a lot of ways. Both are games you play against yourself, unless you're racing in the MRA, AMA, etc. Each lap around the track you are trying to better your last time. If you're not, then what's the point? You burn through tires. Some start spending money upgrading components, and changing settings. Eventually, stock parts aren't enough. Things like slipper clutches, quick shifters, more power, better suspensions, and so on become necessary expenses. Unless, of course, you're already riding an HP4, RSV Factory, or Panigale, but then you already spent $+20k for your bike.

Motorcycle riding is also about adventure. It's freedom to go and see what this world has to offer. I can watch an episode of Top Gear, see one of the epic roads they're driving, and think to myself, "I'm going to ride that some day." Personally, I'll never limit myself to only riding the track when there are many places in my own country I have yet to see, let alone in the world. Also, tickets are not a guaranteed part of street riding and has everything to do with you. I've only had 2 tickets my entire time riding, both of them were justified. Both of them were also the result of trying to do far too many miles in a single day whilst racing against the clock. They could have been avoided with better planning and a more effective use of time. It's the price you sometimes have to pay if you want to play.

Riding is also about community. It's about being with friends, getting out, having a good ride, stopping at Zoka's or Oskar Blues, and hanging out. Some of the best memories I've had in my life occurred on and around these Colorado roads, and I wouldn't trade them for a single track day.

In the end, I say do both if you can, and ride responsibly. They both offer an experience you'll likely never forget, and that's the best part of living.
    I think you touched on a good point about street riders who frequent the track on a regular basis. For some street riders they never loose their desire to ride on the street and enjoy going to the track for its advantages of being able to work on their riding abilities in a safe(er) environment and also push their limits without repercussions of accidents or law enforcement.

For some of us though, the allure of the street just isn't what it used to be. The draw of the open road and miles upon miles of riding have been replaced with lap after lap of riding to find our limit. The dangers we face at the track are negated by the dangers we face out on the open road. If I crash at the track, someone will see me and respond quickly. I'm on out on a solo mountain ride and crash, there's no telling what the outcome might be. Could be minor, could be catastrophic. The open road has its uncertainties. The track, least in my mind has its dangers but they are relative to mainly known types of crashes. Not saying the unimaginable can't happen at the track but for the most part, you either get a low side or a high side or something in between.

While the track certainly isn't cheaper, the expense is for sure justifiable. For me the expense greatly outweighs the lack of interest in mountain riding/street riding. I've been bored with mountain riding for quite sometime. I knew that when I got back into sportbikes last year, that I wouldn't do many(if any) mountain rides and that soon enough I'd find my way back to the race track.

I'll be completely honest with you, I never really enjoyed riding canyons, unless I was going mach 2. I didn't ride mountains to enjoy the scenery(I couldn't care less about what epic views Mother nature has to offer, especially from the seat of my bike) and if I wanted to enjoy the mountains, I'll pack up my truck and go camping. I absolutely hated the ride to get to the mountains. It was usually strewn with boring straight highways, heavily congested traffic and tourist all rubbernecking as much as possible. Then when I would get to my favorite twisty road, what do I find?? More BS traffic, cops every where, bicyclists doing their bicycle thing and every other imaginable person out just minding their own business. I began to think something was wrong with Canyon Riding.

The thing is though, I realized quickly what that something wrong was. It was me. I was the thing that wasn't right/normal like all the others. I wasn't there to see the beauty of the snow on the Sangre De Cristo's, I didn't give a sh*t about the snow or the scenic look of it, I worried more about the next corner I was going to get my knee down on than anything else and my greatest fear was getting to a road that was either populated with people, swarming with LEO's or full of the season's latest Winter treatment(i.e. sand). Coupled with the fact that many people I knew were starting to crash. It all culminated in a final salvo of negatives I found with riding the Canyons. At least riding to work(street riding) served a purpose. I was commuting to save fuel and at least put the bike to some practical use. Well that all ended for me this year, as I cancelled insurance and let tags expire.

For some of us, there's no other place to call home but the race track. I'm honest about it, I love the adrenaline rush of riding the track. It's a drug habit that I gladly indulge in. Nothing gets me off more than when I come around and see that lap time flash up on my timer screen. For me it's not so much about racing as it is self improvement. I don't care that I'm not the fastest guy out there. That's a lesson I learned years ago growing up, that there is always someone out there that is better. However, that doesn't mean you have to stop being the best you can be. For me, each trip to the track means more and more improvement. I'm not the fastest guy out there, but in that given moment at the track I'm the fastest I'll be, that is until the next time I come out and look to improve again. I do know that sooner or later I will hit a wall, I will plateau and I will reach my limit(hell I may even crash again). Yet the inescapable sensation of getting to that moment is what keeps pushing me for more. When I do arrive at that point, I'll do it all over again and set more and more goals to achieve. Yeah, I realize that I may be limited at some point by my equipment(meaning I'd need better suspension or more power)but that's all optional. Just because I may one day hit that mechanical barrier, doesn't mean I have hit a physical and mental barrier to my riding. We all can continue to improve.

So good luck in continuing to ride the street and hopefully hit the track. For you, that's your path and it's what still inspires you and it does take all kinds of make the world go round. For me, I've found my inspiration and it's in the form of a race track and a lap time. It may never be as honorable or story worthy down the road as riding that one amazing canyon or that one ride that no one will ever forget. I can live with that.... For me I found my perfect sunset and all it keeps telling me to do is.... Go Faster!
    Last edited by The Black Knight; Wed Oct 15th, 2014 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Apparently I can't spell LOL!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Senior Member Moderator

This articulates just how inherently subjective motorcycle riding can be, and why each has merits that appeal to every rider, individually. The reasons we choose to ride a sport bike, versus those on a cruiser, sport tourer, ADV, or dirt bike are justified by the expectations we have for the experience. Within our own community we have riders that road race, drag race, canyon carve, stunt, and tour. The question to be asked is whether it's fair to dictate that your subjective experience is somehow superior to that of the drag racer's. It's not, because you can't quantify emotion. The satisfaction derived from a perfect lap is no more or less significant when compared against the stunter who executed a perfect circle wheelie, versus the cruiser who just got back from a day out with his friends, versus the drag racer who pulled a 9-second quarter-mile. They get what they want from what they're doing.

For you, the track is the end of the road, and given the way you described yourself in the canyons, I agree that the track is perfect place to get your fix. Personally, I've never gone out on the street riding that hard. My knee has never touched the pavement, nor have I ridden with the intent of getting it there. If I ever allowed myself to do that on the street, I'd stop riding there too. In my opinion, it's not the place for that kind of riding. So, I'm glad you have the track, I really am. In the end that's your passion, and I enjoy reading what you have to say about it. Every rider should experience it at least once. I also think riders should stop every once in a while and take in the scenery. As a cruiser would say, sometimes it's not about the ride, but the destination.

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I'm running PR2's, and I think you hit the nail on the head right there. I truly feel I'm quickly approaching the fastest lap times these tires can cut. Better tires would mean more power out down out of a corner, much better corner speeds, and better braking. But right now I'm looking at replacing the bike with a 2015, so I'll probably throw another set of PR2s on just because they do well when cold, and last a long time. On the new bike I'll get an extra set of forged alum or magnesium rims and put slicks on them. 200 series too.
    Jason Disalvo was running in the 1:50s on Dunlop Q2s at HPR. Your tires can do way more than you think.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter t_jolt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    Jason Disalvo was running in the 1:50s on Dunlop Q2s at HPR. Your tires can do way more than you think.
    Pridmore did a 1:49 if i remember correctly 3 years ago on Q2s at hpr. with a stock gixxer 1000 with a can. Blew me away.
    Mitsujagvettecedes 1000RXTS GTR

Hand built by Jerry Garcia, Dan Gurney, Chuck Norris and Duntov's ghost. GT97 turbo,
    8WD, berilium pistons, titanium rods, unobtanium crank. Block forged from the dead souls of Mongol warriors. Depleted Uranium Dog box, Flubber tires, and stage 87 axles.

-1.07 @5.7c

You had me at Midnight Colfax Girl, but that last part just sounds extra gay.

I think you may be coming down a little hard on Aaron there Drano. I know you and him have some pent up frustrations between each other that need to get aired out(LOL j/king!)

Honestly, though I can see where Aaron is coming from. He does have a point in that you will never get hassled at the track for going to fast, dragging your knee or having a extra loud exhaust. His point does have some credence because of the unusually high amount of threads on here that people have posted with their trips going bad or ending up with contact with law enforcement. It does seem that it has happened more frequently than usual and that could be nothing more than coincidence. It could be law enforcement stepping up their presence in those areas because of complaints from local residents about the high amounts of motorcycle traffic. Regardless of whatever the reason, you have to admit that it does seem a lot of you have made contact with local law enforcement this year.

I don't know what axe you have to grind with Aaron is but I will say that in speaking with him at the track. He's a nice enough guy and doesn't come across the way his posts seem to portray him.

I can totally understand your point of view but only to a degree. You mention not everyone has the money for a full suit. I would recommend maybe skipping a month or two of canyon rides and investing in a full suit, boots, gloves and helmet. With the amount of canyon rides you guys do(usually every weekend), if you spent roughly $60 each day(Saturday and Sunday, assuming you ride both days). That's $120 in one weekend and in five weeks time that's $600. There's your money for gloves and boots right there. In another five or six weeks save up for a suit. I'd recommend getting this stuff in the Winter that way you really don't see the money being saved because the riding season is over. Also, that's assuming you buy brand new gear. There is plenty of used gear to be found not only on this site's For Sale section. Craigslist and Ebay offer excellent venues for snagging some decent gear. Also, site's like Revzilla and MotoSport offer discounts on much of their gear.

I agree with you that riding the canyons is much cheaper. But really is it?? When you factor in the risks involved in canyon rides(especially if you ride them the way I used to). I can't tell you how many close calls I had in the mountains. For me, I knew I had to get to the track because I was always pushing it in the mountains.

The $100 I spend on a track fee, pales in comparison to coming around a corner in the mountains with my knee on the ground and seeing gravel in the corner, or worse at cow or a oncoming vehicle in your lane. Believe me, those two scenarios have happened to me. Barely missed the damn cow and the oncoming guy in a Subaru WRX swerved at the last moment to avoid a head on collision with me. In both instances I was going way to fast and had my knee on the ground. Why?? Because that's how I rode in the mountains(like a f**king idiot!!). Suffice to say, there isn't a highway law that I didn't break.

Dude I've had more pucker moments before the age of 26 riding in the mountains than most people ever will encounter. Why?? because again, I used to ride like a total D-bag with complete disregard for safety. I got better or safer I should say as time went on, mainly due the fact that I saw way to many guys going down on rides. Had one to many close calls than I wanted so I decided that I needed to change. I found out about going to the track through a local MRA racer. Did a little over a dozen or so track days in the span of two years before I had my big crash at the track. Took some time off to fix a few things in my life and get sorted and now I'm back on the track and for good this time. Already knocked out four track days and may do one more this year.

Believe me Drano, you can try and justify not going to the track as much as the next guy. But if you're riding like I did, and from the stories I've heard about some rides that have happened on here. Seems like it's the same old same old, with just new and different riders. People will always push it in the mountains and sooner or later the inevitable happens.

Reason I gave up riding on the street is for a couple of reasons. Mainly now that I have a CDL, I can't risk tickets at all. I'm also not a huge fan of the way people are starting to drive these days. Yeah back 10 years ago people drove terrible. However, just on my commutes to work I saw some serious bad drivers and people who you can tell spend their entire time behind the wheel of their vehicle with their head up their ass.

My bike is track only now. I let my plates expire at the end of last month and won't be getting new ones. Am I going to race?? No and highly unlikely that I ever will. I'm getting to old for that part of track riding. I still enjoy riding the track and pushing my limits on track days. I'm still plenty young enough to continue that sort of riding.

I also have to agree with Aaron on more people going to the tracks. The more people that do go out for track days the more these tracks will be around for us in the future and our future generations. Who knows, if more and more people would do track days, maybe the tracks would lower their track day fees. Still though, $100 for a Half Day at Pueblo is a smoking deal. I still knock out close to 40-50 laps every time I go out. To me, that's more important than anything. Getting in quality laps now and learning about my riding. Learning why I'm getting faster and where I need to improve(at this point it's in many areas).

So I know you two enjoy bagging on each other and yeah Aaron could have approached the comment a little more diplomatic but that's how he's wired I suppose. I've noticed you seem to have it out for him, the way I have it out for Fast and Furious HAHA!!! Relentless smack talk
    awesome post!!! Need to do some track days with ya next year!!!

Quote Originally Posted by blaircsf View Post
    I would love to hit all the track days, but having done most of the track days the Friday before MRA rounds it also becomes a days off question. I know why (especially at HPR) it is mostly days during the week, and I don't fault anyone for it, but it is still a consideration.
    PMP has weekend dates All the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Neutron View Post
    It was not directed toward you at all. More toward Aaron really. You bring up valid points, as does Drano. I agree with you on many of your points, including that the track can be safer. What we do has its dangers at the track or otherwise.
    To be so arrogant as to call canyon carvers pussy's when your at the track running the same corners over and over again, in a controlled environment, is a bit much for me to handle. I would like to go to the track some day. When I get the money to set up my bike, buy the approved gear and make the drive out there, I will. Until and after then I will enjoy the street.
    If your pushing at all in the twistes you'd be pretty dumb to not already have all of the gear imo.

Hit up Imi it's not high speed but you can still learn a ton. 40 for all day!!
    Last edited by One-ops; Thu Oct 16th, 2014 at 01:10 PM.

Arron!!! Pilot road 2's still?! Wow I'd figure those would be getting greasy after 4 laps or so once you starting getting up to speed. And lots of siping they move around a bit I'm sure. Throw a set of take offs on. You can borrow my warmers and genny if want to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by One-ops View Post
    awesome post!!! Need to do some track days with ya next year!!!
    Dude any post that refers to Midnight Colfax Girls is automatically an awesome post
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Dude have you seen the midnight colfax girls?

Dude have you seen the midnight colfax girls?
    HAHAHAHA!! that's just it man, you get a lot of bang for your buck, cause that's about all you'll spend. That's why I said, $100 buys a lot of laps at the track but also buys a lot of Midnight Colfax Girls as well.

Plus if they're anything like our Midnight Nevada Girls, they're all missing their teeth and you know what that means

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

I just wanted to say thanks to all of you who keep this positive, it definitely is nice and I really appreciate it.

The thing is though, I realized quickly what that something wrong was. It was me. I was the thing that wasn't right/normal like all the others. I wasn't there to see the beauty of the snow on the Sangre De Cristo's, I didn't give a sh*t about the snow or the scenic look of it, I worried more about the next corner I was going to get my knee down on than anything else and my greatest fear was getting to a road that was either populated with people, swarming with LEO's or full of the season's latest Winter treatment(i.e. sand). Coupled with the fact that many people I knew were starting to crash.
    I heard every word man. It's making me think a lot about what I want out of my bike, and well life in general. Thanks a lot.
    Hit up Imi it's not high speed but you can still learn a ton. 40 for all day!!
    You know the sad thing, I grew up 10 minutes from there. I've road my quad there and road the gokarts, but I've been too scared to hit those sharp turn on two wheels! I might have to reconsider this place before snow rolls in. Although is it ok to ride on that dirt road to get there?? I dont have a trailer..
    06 GSXR 750

Lol ah shit gummies!!!!
    Yeah man lots if that rings true for me as well. Reading a lot of that is me to a t. I can see myself enjoying the street more in the future though. Doing some touring more then one day rides.
    But yeah as long as it's not muddy your good. Just go easy or riding home may suck or you might not be able to ride it home. Borrow a truck.

IMI is a great introduction to the track, and should suit even a college kids budget

I remember the first time I saw a motorcycle race. Standing in the pit looking up at the pit wall, I could see the bikes blasting by, the noises that I never heard a motorcycle make, guys in full tuck giving it the beans. I said to myself one day I'll be that guy. Changed my life forever

come to round 1 at HPR in the spring. Ride out there and spectate or corner work. U can stand right next to the track. I guarantee you will see a show you'll never forget

oh and you'll get paid if u cornerwork. Feel free to pm me if you want info

I'll second the corner work gig. First time trackside, my mouth was hanging open watching the likes of Orlando and Turpin in ROR.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

The dirt to Imi is fine and it's a great place to start pushing yourself. You can go slow, fast, and usually be fine. Just be friendly, and talk to the other riders that may be there. The Super motos blasting by you in a turn is a bit freaky with their rear wheel hopping and chirping but it's the best seat in the house. You only need a helmet, gloves, boots, and pants to go but I wouldn't go without some decent textile at least.
    Search eBay for a suit. One or two piece. It's well worth the investment. I won't ride without mine now (other than my commute). I don't intend to race or be a track junkie (yet) and a two piece is fine.
    Check your insurance company, you may even have coverage for the track. Mine says as long as I'm not racing for points or money I'm covered. "for your personal enjoyment"
    Craigslist a cheap trailer or even just a hitch for your car. If Generic can tow two across country with a Prius I'm sure yours can to. There's almost always someone willing to help get you to the track. Just ask.
    Blah, blah, blah, blah.... Just leave your ego at home. It has no place on the road or track, there's always someone better or faster.
    Last edited by Nolan; Fri Oct 17th, 2014 at 08:39 AM.

Senior Member Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Nolan View Post
    You only need a helmet, gloves, boots, and pants to go but I wouldn't go without some decent textile at least.
    Search eBay for a suit. One or two piece. It's well worth the investment. I won't ride without mine now (other than my commute). I don't intend to race or be a track junkie (yet) and a two piece is fine.
    Check here (http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...r_racing_suits) regularly. I picked up an AGV Sport, Monza suit on closeout in 2012 for $350 iirc and couldn't be happier with it. It looks just like what they're calling the Bullet suit on there now.
    Last edited by Drano; Fri Oct 17th, 2014 at 09:13 AM. Reason: grammar/spelling

I don't know anyone who frequents the track, and still rides on the street. I'm the only one, and I've not only cut my street riding back by 95%, but I'm considering making the new bike track only.

Arron!!! Pilot road 2's still?! Wow I'd figure those would be getting greasy after 4 laps or so once you starting getting up to speed. And lots of siping they move around a bit I'm sure. Throw a set of take offs on. You can borrow my warmers and genny if want to try it.
    I think they are man, because the bike was all over the place. Fun as hell to ride! I'm sure I could've cut seconds off my time, because I only felt it slipping on one corner, but I just didn't have the gonads to push any harder, especially considering my bike doesn't have any crash protection. In that corner, it was the tight right hand uphill right before the corkscrew, I was maxed.

Thanks for the offer, but I'll pass. I'll probably do one more track day then I'm going to sell the bike and get a new one, so it's not worth it to buy the take offs.