Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: S1000RR for a first time rider

S1000RR for a first time rider

So, I wanted to know your thoughts on this matter. I have a friend that's been riding for years. Started off on an R1 (I know, I know just keep the comments to yourself since he's wrecked it several times lol), and he just got the new Panigale 1198. He is a pretty good rider for all things considered. We have another friend that's been wanting to ride and my Ducati friend has talked him into getting a new BMW S1000RR as a first time bike.

I have pleaded with him and he says it's safer than a 600 with all the electronics. I told him it's about the rider, and he needs to learn to ride a bike, not rely on electronics. Let alone the S1000RR is up there with some of the fastest bikes.

Anybody have anything else I could tell him to sway him into a smaller bike? I don't really want to go to another friends funeral.

Looking to see what Aaron has to say since he has this bike.
    Erich-
    2004 SV650S - 8K miles - SOLD
    2003 SV1000S - 15K miles - My new love!

Re: S1000RR for a first time rider

Show him all of the accidents your buddy has had on the R1. Electronics won't save you every time, and IIRC one of our members totaled an S1000RR already simply because of dirt on the road.
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

Very good points!! Thank you. R1 buddy is still maintaining that it's safer lol.
    Erich-

Actually CA Superbike School crashes went down by over half when they switched from 600s to S1k simply due to electronics and ABS. That said, ZX-6 has TC and ABS now...probably a better option.

Big_sure, are these crashed from new riders as well, or experienced? I totally understand that ABS and TC are a MASSIVE help to bikes now, but it just seems that type of power for a brand new rider? I know a buddy here at work just for the Honda CB500F with ABS and he is a new rider. I'm not even concerned with him since it's a small bike.
    Erich-

If someone is considering a 190+hp bike as a starter bike because it has electronic aids, they likely don't have strong enough decision making skills to keep their right wrist under control.

I started on a 600. At 6-2 and 215lbs, I scared myself plenty of times with 105hp. Add another 90hp and those scary situations might easily have become the death of me. I remember coming in hot to a corner on my 600rr on P2P, luckily I was able to brake hard enough and then leaned/prayed to make it through the turn. If I had another 90hp I would easily have had enough power that I would have ended up planted into the side of the mountain instead of just having a scary reminder that my bike has a lot more potential than my own skills could handle. That kind of power quickly gets you up to "kill yourself speeds" that TC and ABS can't save you from.

Jason
    07 600RR
    07 Speed Triple -[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)] [/COLOR]GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbie303 View Post
    Big_sure, are these crashed from new riders as well, or experienced? I totally understand that ABS and TC are a MASSIVE help to bikes now, but it just seems that type of power for a brand new rider? I know a buddy here at work just for the Honda CB500F with ABS and he is a new rider. I'm not even concerned with him since it's a small bike.
    I think they're newish, at least to the track, and I think they turn them down to rain mode for most people but don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you. I think it's a dumb first bike. I was just saying TC and ABS are extremely helpful for most people.

Do your best to dissuade them but it's their decision in the end. If they want to go all out and get the BMW, wish them well. Regardless, there's risk involved and they'll learn one way or another.

Tell him he's a moron and to stop making my insurance rates go up

a 600 is more than enough to thoroughly kill yourself

Haha.. Noobs. It's his life..

I've seen this credited to someone, but i don't remember where or to who.

Edit, best idea for a source looks like: This has been "Sportbikes are not Beginner Bikes" by Matt Pickering of the now defunct BeginnerBikes.com, chopped and screwed by Anonymous people here and there on the internet

Edit x2: Sticky thread here also:

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...nt-a-sportbike
    Last edited by blaircsf; Tue Sep 30th, 2014 at 12:13 PM.
    Blair
    2000 GSX750F, 2003 YZ450F, 2004 GSXR750, 2006 ZX-14
    2013 CBR500R, 2016 YZF-R6 - MRA #760

It is the rider not the bike. You can easily get over your head on a 600. That bike is very expensive to fix. A used pos is not. He will wreck, just a matter of time.

Not a smart move financially or health wise. If you can't ride without the aids, then you can't really ride.
    2010 Ducati Hypermotard 796

I think he should hold off until the Kawasaki H2r comes out :-)

Present: 2006 GSXR 750 (black/yellow), 2006 Yamaha R6r (blue)
    Sold: 2011 Ninja 250 (green/black), 2007 R6s (blue)

Quote Originally Posted by 07D675CO View Post
    Not a smart move financially or health wise. If you can't ride without the aids, then you can't really ride.
    That's EXACTLY what I said. What happens if all those aids fail? Then he wouldn't know what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by GMR View Post
    I think he should hold off until the Kawasaki H2r comes out :-)
    ^^^^ lol! Another buddy said that as well jokingly.

So I actually went and copied all your replies (text only, no names) and sent them to him. He said he's really been thinking that it's too much bike for him. It would appear my R1 friend was trying to convince him into the BMW. I told him I would help in any way to find a better first time bike.

Told him that the reasoning with the electronics helping him out would be the same as handing the keys to a ferrari to a 16 year old and saying it was safe because of advanced electronics and settings. He laughed but said he got the point. I think he is going the more responsible way, so thank you for your input and help.
    Erich-

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbie303 View Post
    That's EXACTLY what I said. What happens if all those aids fail? Then he wouldn't know what to do.

^^^^ lol! Another buddy said that as well jokingly.

So I actually went and copied all your replies (text only, no names) and sent them to him. He said he's really been thinking that it's too much bike for him. It would appear my R1 friend was trying to convince him into the BMW. I told him I would help in any way to find a better first time bike.

Told him that the reasoning with the electronics helping him out would be the same as handing the keys to a ferrari to a 16 year old and saying it was safe because of advanced electronics and settings. He laughed but said he got the point. I think he is going the more responsible way, so thank you for your input and help.
    Good for him. Plenty of dirt cheap SV650 out there to learn on and keep or sell and upgrade later.
    2010 Ducati Hypermotard 796

Hijack: I have an 06 SV650 with 215 original miles that I would be willing to discuss selling.

That aside, the ability to survive learning to ride has a lot more to do with the person than the bike.
    2005 GSXR 1000 - Not stock...
    2006 SV650S - Rebuild in progress, with some upgrades...
    1998 Yamaha WR400 - Not stock...
    2008 Dodge QCSB 6.7L Cummins - 525/1019 HP/TQ

If I had to learn how to ride again, it would be on a cheap Yamaha FZ6.

I loved that bike and had 5 fun filled years with it!

Glad to hear your friend is wising up, good analogy with the Ferrari and 16 year old!
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

I'm with Bueller here, it's all about the rider. Personally I have a lot of respect for my bike, and I did my SV1000S too (120hp first street bike). I can honestly say I've never put either bike in a seriously scary situation, because I've always left room for error. Maybe I'm just a smart sportbike rider, maybe I'm lucky, or maybe the man upstairs has other things planned for me still, who knows.

Personally, for ME, the BMW is a better starting bike than my SV1000S was. The S1000RR is not only better and sharper in every way, but it's also much more forgiving, and feels much more natural to me. I never felt good on my Suzuki. I'd be riding an average pace and it felt like the bike was right at the edge. That's not good for a rider, it destroys your confidence in the bike. Whereas the BMW, the day I sat on it it felt like I'd been riding it for 10 years. At that same average pace, I can truly feel the bike not breaking a sweat, and if some ting unexpected happens the bike has so much left in every way to cope with it.

So personally, I think the S1000RR is actually an alright starting bike. He'll just need to respect the power, and truly realize in every sense how fast it accelerates, because it is deceiving.

It's not about the bike.

As for the electronics, they're a huge advantage. But they are available on most liter bikes now, and some of the middle weights.

Have him compare insurance rates on a 500cc and a liter bike and see if that helps. It of course is his decision.

If it were up to me, which it is not, I would make everyone start on a dirt or endure bike and actually learn how to ride first. That can be sold for what you paid for it and then get the bike you really want.

Hey, worked for me.

Marc
    84 R100RS LE, 14 Ducati MTSGT, 18 Desert Sled, 73 850 Commando, 78 CT90, 14 Ural, 74 Eldorado police, 64 R50/2, 01 DRZ400E, 94 900SS/CR, 77 HD XLCR, 2011 T100, 63 MG Falcone', 75 Ducati 860GT, 2015 Royal Enfield Classic Chrome, 2009 XR1200, 1944 Nimbus, 1989 GB500 https://lomaxcm.smugmug.com/

Have him get the H2 since it's what all the cool kids will get .... just beyond an idiotic idea to get such a high powered bike for your first ride. To each its own but obviously more money than brains and your friend on the R1 is just retarded for suggesting that.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Gold Member

Dude fuck yeah. Don't forget to out nos on it.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    Dude fuck yeah. Don't forget to out nos on it.
    That's two bottles of NOS, and he'll need them by tonight
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."