Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: S1000RR for a first time rider

Re: S1000RR for a first time rider

Quote Originally Posted by UHATEIT View Post
    Oh yes and it must take at least a full minute to run your 10 second 1/4 mile as well
    Oh of course!! How else will everyone get to see that internal camera shot of your motor as the NOS has been engaged and we see the copious amounts of power and speed come to fruition in a cacophony of epic street racing.

I personally like to hide my NOS under the seat and then blast the 700lbs of stereo equipment I have in the trunk to some intense techno. Umm tiss umm tiss ummm tiss!!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Oh of course!! How else will everyone get to see that internal camera shot of your motor as the NOS has been engaged and we see the copious amounts of power and speed come to fruition in a cacophony of epic street racing.

I personally like to hide my NOS under the seat and then blast the 700lbs of stereo equipment I have in the trunk to some intense techno. Umm tiss umm tiss ummm tiss!!
    judging you solely on your vocabulary I assume you went to a very good college
    2005 Suzuki SV650s Blue (SOLD), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636 Lime Green

If I was learning to fly, I'd sure as hell want to fly a Piper Cub before I got behind the controls of an F-22, regardless of the electronics that were there to assist me. If I started in the fighter jet, most likely I'd make one very expensive hole in the ground. Sportbikes have exactly the same parallels in terms of skill building.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Quote Originally Posted by UHATEIT View Post
    judging you solely on your vocabulary I assume you went to a very good college
    I had a fantastic English teacher while in school, who really emphasized on vocabulary. Plus I just love to bag on Fast and Furious, and it's so much more humorous to myself when you can slam on a movie using words that really don't fit for the movie.

I love to embellish the scenes from those movies.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Gold Member

Make it 3 bottles and its ready for a rookie.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    Make it 3 bottles and its ready for a rookie.
    Hell yeah three bottles of NOS is all a newbie needs. Don't forget to have the multiple buttons to activate the NOS on the steering wheel. Then when it's all said and done. Once all of the races have been won. Gotta drive off in a V formation with your crew.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

Making fun of the Slow and Audacious movies is quite frankly too easy.
    2010 Ducati Hypermotard 796

Yeah but it's so entertaining.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

I only brought up the F&F since there was additional talks about the new turbo H2R. I think hearing some sweet Greddy Type-S Waaaaah-PSSST sounds would be pretty crazy from a bike. I used to have a Type-S on my GS-T eclipse and also on my Mazdaspeed3.

I joke, I keed, no one needs a bov on their motorcycle

I would think being a Kawi fan you would know every detail of the H2R...like the biggest fact of all....it's supercharged, not turbocharged.
    --Dave
    2013 Honda VFR 1200F
    2014 Honda VFR800-SOLD
    2007 Honda VFR800-SOLD

2004 Kawasaki KLX300R

Quote Originally Posted by DriverDave View Post
    I would think being a Kawi fan you would know every detail of the H2R...like the biggest fact of all....it's supercharged, not turbocharged.
    haha I forgot to edit that out. I am a Kawi fan for sure, just no desire on the H2. If I could have any dream bike beyond the 636 it would be a newer 636, Daytona 675R, Duacti 848 Evo, or a newer model R6. But I see a cruiser or touring bike in the future for me to take my wife on longer trips to explore the country

I thought the electronics were on the bikes to make them FASTER. Correct me if I'm wrong but, the whole idea for traction control and anti-wheelie, was to make it easier to get on the throttle sooner and come off a corner harder and faster. If that is the case then this is a really poor choice of a bike for a newbie. I haven't seen anyone yet crash because the braked to early or weren't going fast enough. ABS would help slow him down when he does realize he is in way over his head coming into a turn. He won't make it as far down the canyon and there fore should be easier to recover.
    I have heard the usual excuses for "needing" to start on a bigger bike, but this one is new.

Neutron, the electronic aids can do both, cut lap times and make the bike safer on the street.

Interestingly enough, on the S1000RR, the fastest lap times Sport Rider got was with DTC and ABS disabled, but that was only with one of their riders, the pro who was their fastest. The rest of their riders were quickest with the aids.

That was kind of my point. The aids make a lesser person better, or in this case a newbie faster. Aids don't make a bike safe, spoons don't make you fat and pencils don't miss spell words.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    I had a fantastic English teacher while in school, who really emphasized on vocabulary. Plus I just love to bag on Fast and Furious, and it's so much more humorous to myself when you can slam on a movie using words that really don't fit for the movie.

I love to embellish the scenes from those movies.
    i thought you were going somewhere else with the English teacher comment. Somewhere more like the lessons this kid was taught, not actually good vocabulary.

http://www.georgianewsday.com/news/r...ideotaped.html

Jason
    07 600RR
    07 Speed Triple -[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)] [/COLOR]GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)][/COLOR]

Electronics give the rider a false sense of security, mainly new people. I've seen more riders crash on these fancy newer bikes with all kinds of gizmos than regular bikes, cause the riders of normal bikes went through the steps, learned to ride without them and learned to ride the issues out instead of expecting the bike doing so for you. I personally hate electronics, I'd rather do the riding part myself. Unless you're pushing AMA/WSBK/MotoGP pace which will never happen on the street ever, then why the hell would you need that? Even most people at the MRA still race with normal bikes and they're very consistent. Like I said, electronics are shit. Anything besides a slipper clutch for the track and good riding skills with seat time, you don't need much more.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Electronic aids are only so good, to a point. They won't beat the laws of physics, nor will they fix stupid.

Experienced rider without electronic aids sees a 10mph corner coming and performs a proper braking downshift sequence from 70mph to make the corner. Newbie approaches at 50mph and waits too late to slow appropriately, can't downshift and panic grabs the brakes, and target fixates towards the guard rail. All that will result is a nice ABS assisted lowside into and over the railing.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grant H. View Post
    <Snip...> [T]he ability to survive learning to ride has a lot more to do with the person than the bike.
    Very very well said.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

With a RX-7 and a Supra in that movie, and you point out the DSM?? lol come on man!
    Erich-
    2004 SV650S - 8K miles - SOLD
    2003 SV1000S - 15K miles - My new love!

Sorry, I was slammed last week and this weekend I wasn't online.

UPDATE!!! He went with a 2012 CBR600R. I am beyond relieved with that. A lot of good and valid points have been brought up. When all said and done, it comes down to the rider not the bike, or what's on the bike. I'm somewhat surprised to hear what Aaron had to say about the SV1000S and the BMW. I feel like I take my SV1000S pretty far, and it hasn't failed me yet, but still feels like there is much more to give that I haven't tapped into yet. That would be me needing to keep progressing on the bike (say on the track). Maybe the bike wasn't setup properly, Aaron?

I do like the debate going on here. But pretty much everyone is in agreement that the BMW wouldn't have been a good bike to start with. Maybe my friend would have gone slow, taken it easy and slowly learned the bike, but I'm perfectly happy he got that 600.
    Erich-
    2004 SV650S - 8K miles - SOLD
    2003 SV1000S - 15K miles - My new love!

If he allows it to, 100hp will kill him just as fast as 193 will. Harley riders die every day with just 60hp.

Mine definitely wasn't setup perfect for me, but there was more than just damping compression and rebound that made that bike not work for me. But that's the great thing about having hundreds of different bikes, somewhere out there is the one that fits your specific body, riding style, and desires. For me it's the BMW.

One thing madvlad said that I want to correct, and that was regarding riding so fast on the street that you're needing electronic aids is riding too fast. I'd agree with that, but electronic aids don't just intervene when you're riding at 98%. I've had DTC and ABS kick in several times on the street when I wasn't riding fast, wasn't pushing it at all, just normal in traffic riding. Of my 3 crashes, all on dirt bikes 10 years ago, ABS would have prevented 2 of them, and fuel injection the 3rd. In 2/3 I wasn't screwing around at all either. Due to pavement irregularities and imperfections, sometimes our tires will lose traction with hardly any force on them. I made a left turn from a stoplight a couple months ago, went over the crosswalk stripe, and unbeknownst to me it was wet from the sprinklers, and my back tire spun. Now I felt it happen and would've been perfectly able to control it myself, but before I could even comprehend what was happening, DTC had sensed it and corrected it for me. This has happened several times, getting on the highway hit an oil slick, braking for a traffic light the rear tire hit some sand, etc. I'd say my DTC and ABS have activated more on the street in normal slow riding than they have at the track.