Thread: Rosetta Selfie at Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Rosetta Selfie at Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko

As many of you know, I work at a place that is involved in various spacecraft missions. We built the ultraviolet spectrograph on the Rosetta mission and the spacecraft is in orbit around comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko (say that five times fast). I thought this was a really cool picture that was released on Tuesday. In about a month, a lander will make its way down to the surface of the comet, a first. It's good to see all of this cool stuff finally happening after so long. The mission was approved in 1993 and the launch was in 2004. Patience is a virtue with missions like this. (The spacecraft that we built will arrive at Pluto next summer and has a similar timeline as Rosetta.)

More about Rosetta here and here if you're interested.

Last edited by dirkterrell; Thu Oct 16th, 2014 at 09:45 AM.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Re: Rosetta Selfie at Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko

Cool!!!

DIdn't know you were involved with the New Horizons mission! Hard to believe it's already been 8 1/2 years since launch.
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Cool pic!
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson