Thread: Phillip Island Spoiler

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Phillip Island Spoiler

Wow, what an interesting race. The attrition was ridiculous and people were dropping like flies.

Memo to Lorenzo,

That's what getting broke off by your teammate looks like.

Memo to Marquez,

You may be world champion again but damn dude, crash much???

Yeah, I lied. When Rossi wins, I can't contain myself

Rossi hatas around the world, SUCK IT!!

Last edited by The Black Knight; Sun Oct 19th, 2014 at 12:13 AM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Senior Member Moderator

Re: Phillip Island Spoiler

Ho-Lee-Shite! That was unbelievable! So many guys looked like they had their places in the bag only to be met with disappointment! Marquez was on fire, but what a phenomenal ride by #46! Couldn't be happier for the results, because it was a ride well done. I bet Bradley Smith couldn't believe his eyes after all the shenanigans he endured during that race. Too bad for the Espargaro boys and Cal Crutchlow. Cal looked like he had no idea what happened. Cheers cheers!

Definitely not the ending everyone expected. Bradley Smith "WOOHOO!" The Tech 3 Yamaha boys ought to be proud for consistently finishing races and it paid off. Crutchlow looked crushed.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Yamaha owned it this weekend, nuff said ... Rossi did his thing, pretty bummed out for Crutchlow cause he was carrying an amazing pace.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    Yamaha owned it this weekend, nuff said ... Rossi did his thing, pretty bummed out for Crutchlow cause he was carrying an amazing pace.
    I was bummed for Crutchlow too, he was riding a great race and looked to be set for a secure 2nd. His crash was very similar to Marquez low side. Everyone just had crappy luck with those Asymmetric tires that Bridgestone brought out.

I was hoping that we could have seen a battle between Rossi and Marquez. Marc was setting off into the distance but Rossi was posting some good lap times. Whether or not he would have caught him is another story. Like they say though, to finish first, first you must finish. I think if we see this kind of competition at the start of the 2015 season I'm thinking Marquez won't have an easy start to the season the way he did this year. Yamaha has really closed the gap in terms of getting their bikes a bit more competitive. I'm looking forward to 2015
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Senior Member Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    I was hoping that we could have seen a battle between Rossi and Marquez. Marc was setting off into the distance but Rossi was posting some good lap times.
    I'm right there with you, Rossi was holding a much faster pace than Lorenzo. I kept saying, "Just let him go, Jorge." Sadly, Lorenzo was too concerned about getting ahead in the points for 2nd place in the championship, and being ahead of his teammate. I can't fault him for that, but every second he and Vale spent battling each other was another second gained by Marquez at the front. Rossi was riding great, nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by Drano View Post
    I'm right there with you, Rossi was holding a much faster pace than Lorenzo. I kept saying, "Just let him go, Jorge." Sadly, Lorenzo was too concerned about getting ahead in the points for 2nd place in the championship, and being ahead of his teammate. I can't fault him for that, but every second he and Vale spent battling each other was another second gained by Marquez at the front. Rossi was riding great, nuff said.
    My thoughts exactly. I know Lorenzo didn't want to give points away but good grief Rossi was way faster. You could really see the difference in there pace once Rossi got past for good(right as Marquez fell) and pulled away. Within the span of three laps Rossi was a clear 1.5 ahead and opening further.

I realize they are all fiercely competitive. Lorenzo is one of those that doesn't enjoy 2nd or less. Which I think shows a little bit of a spoiled sport character. You have to really taste defeat before you can relish the spoils of victory. This was the major factor that made Stoner act the way he did. He had amazing talent and could do things no one could. But if he came in second he was severely ass hurt. I mean there are 24 hungry maniacs all on track with you, can't win them all and can't expect everyone to just get out of your way and let you win.
    Last edited by The Black Knight; Sun Oct 19th, 2014 at 06:16 PM. Reason: I hate auto correct
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

Excellent race, terrible for Crutchlow on the final lap. Crutchlow I BELIEVE is a good rider, but jesus he crashes a lot. If he wouldnt crash out so much he could have a decent chance in the points standings. He's finished like 7 races all year. Hopefully he will have better luck off the Ducati next season.

Props to Rossi my favorite rider, he has still got it!
    2005 Suzuki SV650s Blue (SOLD), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636 Lime Green

Lorenzo had problems with the front tire so that's why he dropped pace too, they were battling it out pretty good for a few laps.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    Lorenzo had problems with the front tire so that's why he dropped pace too, they were battling it out pretty good for a few laps.
    The thing with that though, is why didn't he battle with Marquez in the same manner? He was a hell of a lot closer to Marquez than anyone else and Marc made one quick pass and that was it from Lorenzo. He put up exactly zero fight when Marquez went bye on the opening first laps. Once passed, Marquez didn't exactly break off into the distance. With just him and Lorenzo, he only managed to keep Lorenzo at .8-1 second margin. So the pace was very similar between the two. Rossi came from 8th on the grid to sixth after the first lap, then to finally catching Lorenzo. When he caught Lorenzo, Marquez was roughly 1.5sec in the lead. So while a decent gap nothing insane and out of touch.

Marquez set fastest lap early, and then Rossi responded with several quicker laps after that. Lorenzo was two tenths off Rossi for a few laps.

So my question is, why battle with Rossi who was clearly faster than the front two, who has come up from 8th on the grid? Then to only let Marquez off the hook in the early stages of the race? Again, I can see letting Marquez take off it he was setting some blistering pace and taking chunks of time out of you but he wasn't. Then when the guy that really had the blistering pace(Rossi) you put up a fight that not only slows him down but you down as well. Once Rossi finally broke free, Marquez had that four second lead.

I don't know, I think it's a little lame to fight your teammate(who came up from 8th) so hard. Then to just let the guy you were right next to at the beginning get a free pass to walk away.
    Last edited by The Black Knight; Sun Oct 19th, 2014 at 07:27 PM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Why battle with Rossi like he did instead of with M.M.? Easy: Rossi was the only one around to realistically do battle with. Marquez got up front and put distance on the both of them, not much, but some. And considering that Lorenzo knows damn well that tire "availability" late in the race was going to be an concern, he was only able to push hard enough and confidently enough, to go back and forth with Valentino. Again, as a practical matter. Could Jorge have pushed harder earlier to try and gap Rossi a bit and press Marquez? Undoubtedly he could have but why battle like that, when you know you're gonna blow your preverbal load in the opening rounds of the fight? Jorge is good because he's cerebral.

M.M. of course - doing what he usually does - is out there "riding" while the others must race. Just because his pace was only fractionally ahead or maybe 1 full second up on Lorenzo, doesn't mean he wasn't on cruise control. He road sensational early, and I was really impressed with his day right up until where he bought it. Jorge... fought valiantly, but when his tires got uncomfortable for him, he fell off like Damir said, and Rossi extended his gap and that battle was concluded.

Ultimately Marquez himself didn't know what dangers where awaiting him either. Complacency (as they say) is also one of those things that comes with being in "cruise control". Had somebody been fighting it out with Marc, I am next to certain that he wouldn't have crashed, at least not in that spot as several of them did, and in that manner. He'll learn from this; it's going to sting and he probably won't crash from the front in a long, Long, LONG time.

In the end, Rossi won this because he's a veteran champion who has veteran game and he's always fast as shit. He understands that anything can happen, you just have to position yourself there at the end. I love how he races so confidently and so well on tracks that he likes and has success at. Pace, bike, tires, crew chief... none of that really is the moral of the story, here. Rossi had this race won in his head when he was eating his breakfast that morning, as probably did Marc Marquez. Rossi in all his experience and treachery though, also let the thoughts go through is head of what could also lose this race for him, or what circumstance might befall one of his foes. Jorge's a vet too. He knew when it was time to cut bait and keep the bike vertical.

Marc Marquez will of course learn this someday too, when this ceases being easy for him.

And yeah. Poor Cal. Great race and late push to be there at the end. At least your wife is hot.
    Last edited by ~Barn~; Sun Oct 19th, 2014 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Spelling and clarity of thought...
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    Why battle with Rossi like he did instead of with M.M.? Easy: Rossi was the only one around to realistically do battle with. Marquez got up front and put distance on the both of them, not much, but some. And considering that Lorenzo knows damn well that tire "availability" late in the race was going to be an concern, he was only able to push hard enough and confidently enough, to go back and forth with Valentino. Again, as a practical matter. Could Jorge have pushed harder earlier to try and gap Rossi a bit and press Marquez? Undoubtedly he could have but why battle like that, when you know you're gonna blow your preverbal load in the opening rounds of the fight? Jorge is good because he's cerebral.

M.M. of course - doing what he usually does - is out there "riding" while the others must race. Just because his pace was only fractionally ahead or maybe 1 full second up on Lorenzo, doesn't mean he wasn't on cruise control. He road sensational early, and I was really impressed with his day right up until where he bought it. Jorge... fought valiantly, but when his tires got uncomfortable for him, he fell off like Damir said, and Rossi extended his gap and that battle was concluded.

Ultimately Marquez himself didn't know what dangers where awaiting him either. Complacency (as they say) is also one of those things that comes with being in "cruise control". Had somebody been fighting it out with Marc, I am next to certain that he wouldn't have crashed, at least not in that spot as several of them did, and in that manner. He'll learn from this; it's going to sting and he probably won't crash from the front in a long, Long, LONG time.

In the end, Rossi won this because he's a veteran champion who has veteran game and he's always fast as shit. He understands that anything can happen, you just have to position yourself there at the end. I love how he races so confidently and so well on tracks that he likes and has success at. Pace, bike, tires, crew chief... none of that really is the moral of the story, here. Rossi had this race won in his head when he was eating his breakfast that morning, as probably did Marc Marquez. Rossi in all his experience and treachery though, also let the thoughts go through is head of what could also lose this race for him, or what circumstance might befall one of his foes. Jorge's a vet too. He knew when it was time to cut bait and keep the bike vertical.

Marc Marquez will of course learn this someday too, when this ceases being easy for him.

And yeah. Poor Cal. Great race and late push to be there at the end. At least your wife is hot.
    I agree with just about everything you have to say Barn. I suppose I just expected a lot more from Lorenzo. I truly do like Lorenzo and next to Rossi he's my next in line to root for. I do pile on him though for his crappy attitude he has at times. I just wanted to see a little bit more from Lorenzo, he's always commenting in the press conferences about doing your best to win races and that's his only focus now for the season is to win races. Well today he had a excellent chance to do it with Marquez. I guess he just didn't show as much drive to win the race as he did to fight his teammate. Yeah, you want to beat your teammate because he's on the same equipment as you. Though at the end of the day, you both are trying to beat Honda. Can't beat another bike/brand/manufacture if you're top two are screwing around in a battle for a position that's not 1st place. Motegi 2010 was a good example of these two clashing for 3rd place(back then there was a lot more underneath that was fueling the fire between the two).

You say, why battle in that manner in the early stages and blow the proverbial load. I would say battle early because the other guy may just blow his load early too(this just sounds dirty HAHA!). But if you both use up tire and both start to suffer grip issues because of the battle. Then I would think that's a good thing, you made sure Marquez didn't fly of into the distance and you're making him earn his win. Look back to the opening race of this season. Qatar is a good example of taking the fight to Marquez the whole way. Mugello was a prime example of Lorenzo fighting it out when he's motivated.

Marc may have gotten complacent or it could have been temperature drop. They were commenting that temps were dropping quick as the race wore on. For sure this was a weird race where guys crashed more than normal. I don't think I've seen a race where more guys slammed into the back of each other or lost the front so easily in a corner that they've gone through lap after lap before. I think the tires were basically crappy, better than last years abortion of a race, as grip levels were better this year in terms of surface being less abrasive.

Lastly, I do feel bummed for Cal but not that bummed. You feel for the guy cause he lost a good chance for a podium but in order to finish you got to stay on the bike. I also don't feel bad after seeing what he gets to go home to at the end of the day(Lucy). I'm sure she gets it every night, so the man ain't hurtin too bad. I know laying the pipe would help me forget about a bad crash real quick...
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Yup.

~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Those Asym tires did not like the cooler temps. Watching all those crashes it was like deja vu. Felt so bad for Crutchlow.
    2010 Ducati Hypermotard 796