Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SAT Nov. 1st Nice weather and a track day @ HPR

Re: SAT Nov. 1st Nice weather and a track day @ HPR

You don't need to tape lights. Pull fuses is fine but not mandatory.
    Also guys don't forget the concessions trailer is closed for the winter so bring food and water.
    No doubt about the future, No regrets about the past!

Thanks!

Ok, I'm 100% in. I'll be in the Maroon FJ Cruiser pulling my GSXR. I'll probably get a shade garage if anyone wants to share.

Board Newbie

I have about 1200 street miles on my oil (mostly the twisties up into Blackhawk, Nederland, and Estes)... should I change it? I'm geared -1/+2 so I'm shifting a little more often as well...

Quote Originally Posted by ThorneM1 View Post
    I have about 1200 street miles on my oil (mostly the twisties up into Blackhawk, Nederland, and Estes)... should I change it? I'm geared -1/+2 so I'm shifting a little more often as well...
    You should be okay but make sure to change it when you finish at the track
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Quote Originally Posted by ThorneM1 View Post
    Whoa -1/+2 isn't that a street setup for more low end torque. At the track you'll be in the higher rpm all the time I imagine with that setup. I went -1 in front on my ninja and that thing but s through gas and rides at higher rpm on the freeway its also obnoxiously loud. I dont know if I could go +2 in rear as well.
    2005 Suzuki SV650s Blue (SOLD), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636 Lime Green

Seriously UHATEIT, I just geared mine -1 +3 and that is great for track only riding. Yes it's some aggressive gearing, but o the track it's perfect. Not made for highway. But then again, I'm done on the streets. I'm building my bike for track only.

Board Newbie

First time to the track and I had an absolute blast! ~125 miles of pure fun!

Thanks for hauling my bike Nolan!
    Last edited by ThorneM1; Sat Nov 1st, 2014 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Make that 154 miles!

Quote Originally Posted by milehizx6r View Post
    Seriously UHATEIT, I just geared mine -1 +3 and that is great for track only riding. Yes it's some aggressive gearing, but o the track it's perfect. Not made for highway. But then again, I'm done on the streets. I'm building my bike for track only.
    That's too bad, me and Scott missed you on 77 today! That's such a fun road. Maybe someday I'll get a track bike and join you at the track.
    --Dave
    2013 Honda VFR 1200F
    2014 Honda VFR800-SOLD
    2007 Honda VFR800-SOLD

2004 Kawasaki KLX300R

Quote Originally Posted by milehizx6r View Post
    I guess that's good for track so you can keep it in the higher rpms. I still ride street all the time a -1 front is about as far as I will go. The rpms are about 1000 higher at freeway speeds which burns more gas for me and the exhaust blares. But for the track your setup is probably what people would want. I don't a desire to do track yet but when that time comes I'll keep in mind the -1/+3 for a track bike

My better half took some decent pictures of the day sometime this week I'll try and post up the album.

If you're looking for fuel economy on a sportbike, you're doing it wrong. With that my average on the street is 50mpg, out at hpr the computer said 35mpg.... and I suck. There's so much more that the bike can do than I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Nolan View Post
    My better half took some decent pictures of the day sometime this week I'll try and post up the album.

If you're looking for fuel economy on a sportbike, you're doing it wrong. With that my average on the street is 50mpg, out at hpr the computer said 35mpg.... and I suck. There's so much more that the bike can do than I can.
    My difference came from the SV to the ninja. I dont know how it did it but SV was sv was averaging 57-61 but she ninja is averaging 35-40. Yes it has more cylinders and I do have a power commander. The gearing did mess with it too. Its not that THAT'S what I care about on a sport bike. But I only ride street and commuting to the mountains and riding around it gets significantly less than the SV and I miss going 200 miles between fill ups. To each their own on what they want to do or get out of their bike. For me its not my time yet to be doing track riding. I enjoy the street and the mountains so I would like a little bit more mileage out of it.

35mpgs still isn't bad at the track. Last time I did a MPG check, I normally see around 24-25mpg's once I hit the track. Then again, I'm 1 down, 2 up for gearing on my 1000cc, which I know skews the mileage just a bit. However, I do burn a lot of fuel, way more than I ever did on the street. I can normally get four sessions and then my low fuel light comes on and that's about 35-40 laps worth of riding.

So just using easy math, 40 laps X 2.25 miles per lap(PMP) = 90 miles traveled, then divided by 3.5(gallons) = 25.714mpgs

Which is about right, as I put about 3 to 3.5 gallons of fuel in for lapping.

Quote Originally Posted by UHATEIT View Post
    My difference came from the SV to the ninja. I dont know how it did it but SV was sv was averaging 57-61 but she ninja is averaging 35-40. Yes it has more cylinders and I do have a power commander. The gearing did mess with it too. Its not that THAT'S what I care about on a sport bike. But I only ride street and commuting to the mountains and riding around it gets significantly less than the SV and I miss going 200 miles between fill ups. To each their own on what they want to do or get out of their bike. For me its not my time yet to be doing track riding. I enjoy the street and the mountains so I would like a little bit more mileage out of it.
    You have to remember that not only does your Ninja have two more cylinders it also makes about 40-50hp more than the SV. I don't care what anyone says, horsepower takes fuel and the more power you have the more fuel you will burn.

Case in point, look at a MotoGP bike. For 2014 we saw factory bikes being limited from 21 to 20 liters of fuel. 21 = 5.54 gallons, 20 = 5.28 gallons. Factory 2 Bikes 22 to 21 liters of fuel. 22 = 5.81 gallons, 21 = 5.54, and for Open Bikes - 24 liters = 6.34 gallons. So with almost a gallon of fuel difference between Factory and Open bikes, you can see how teams early in the season were concerned about fuel. Especially with these high horsepower bikes.

These are 250hp bikes that are expected to go race distance on one less liter of fuel and you can see why the teams started freaking out. Because, horsepower takes fuel and the more you make the more you'll burn. Which is why the factory teams are allowed to use their own software, it's the only way they can manage the fuel usage.

Sure gearing will affect your fuel usage but the fact you're making more horsepower with your new bike is also a big factor as well. Unless you're running one of those gigantic stunter sprockets, then you're not going to drastically change your fuel mileage.
    Last edited by The Black Knight; Sun Nov 2nd, 2014 at 10:24 AM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Link to album. Currently uploading....

http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/No.../HPR%2011-1-14

Looked to be a perfect day!

Yes it was! Thanks for the lapping card.

Board Newbie

Link to album. Currently uploading....

http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/No.../HPR%2011-1-14
    Thanks for the great photos!

Upload complete.