Thread: *Spoiler* MotoGP - Round 18 @ Valencia

Senior Member Moderator

*Spoiler* MotoGP - Round 18 @ Valencia

Well that's 2014 in the bag. I have to say that was an impressive season for MM, and there's no denying a strong performance by VR46. I'm honestly looking forward to tomorrow to see the new machines the teams roll out for 2015 testing. March cannot get here soon enough!

That was a sad turn of events for Iannone, initially he was looking really fast, but then he fell off pretty quickly. It just goes to show how badly the Ducati goes through tires trying to keep pace with the superior chassis of Honda and Yamaha. Even though Ducati's season ended on a really positive note, that 2015 bike had better be a revelation.

So, did Yorhe screw up, or did Yorhe screw up? It was pretty easy to tell he didn't have the pace, but changing to his wet bike was ridiculous. I kept thinking we was struggling with his front tire. When he entered the pits for his wet bike the only thing I could think was that he could go out for a couple laps while his other bike gets fresh rubber slapped on. But then he just quits. I'm still scratching my head about that one. I can't remember who basically predicted it in another thread. But as soon as Lorenzo knew Rossi was going to finish ahead of him, he threw his tantrum and retired. Not a good way to end the season, and not a good way to show your manufacturer that you will compete until the checkered flag. Granted, even if Rossi had DNFd in the last laps, it would have been a tall order for Lorenzo to make up enough points to steal 2nd place in the championship. But to just give up!? He's just making it even easier for Yamaha to choose which pony they'll back when push comes to shove. Ugh, just ugh!

How laughable is it that Cal Crutchlow would find his pace in the last few races of the season. Even though he finished just hundredths behind Dovi, I think he gave them the biggest middle-finger he possibly could. I mean, to take his non-upgraded GP14 and to be chewing on Dovi the entire race was hilarious. I reiterate, that GP15 had better be a huge cut above its predecessor. It will be an interesting season if Cal can carry that fire over to LCR. He's going to have his work cut out for him, however, because I think Scott Redding will be the top satellite Honda next year, at least I'm hoping so.

Is it just me, or does the new Suzuki look a bit old-fashioned? Looks like they've still got a lot of work cut out for them considering the technical issues during practices and qualifying. They couldn't even finish the race today. Here's hoping they iron out the wrinkles this winter.

Anyway, it was fun chewing the fat and talking about results with you fellas. C'mon 2015!

Re: *Spoiler* MotoGP - Round 18 @ Valencia

Jorge's pace dropped off cause the white flags were out and then him and Iannone took a chance and switched bikes but unfortunately didn't rain like they thought it would. Very impressed by Rossi and the mouth shutting performance he put on cause nobody had him finishing 2nd in the standings, if he would have scored points in Aragon the fight would have still been on. Expected nothing less from Marquez, just a dominant season and he's only improving lol... Suzuki definitely should've joined in 16' instead of 15' cause man it looks like they're back to their old ways with problems.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

The moto 3 race was exceptional. That whole championship was

Can never go wrong with Moto3, those kids battle it out like crazy.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

It was a good year. I hope for more riders at the front next year to keep MM in check. I also would love to see Rossi get one more championship.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Quote Originally Posted by Drano View Post
    Well that's 2014 in the bag. I have to say that was an impressive season for MM, and there's no denying a strong performance by VR46. I'm honestly looking forward to tomorrow to see the new machines the teams roll out for 2015 testing. March cannot get here soon enough!

That was a sad turn of events for Iannone, initially he was looking really fast, but then he fell off pretty quickly. It just goes to show how badly the Ducati goes through tires trying to keep pace with the superior chassis of Honda and Yamaha. Even though Ducati's season ended on a really positive note, that 2015 bike had better be a revelation.

So, did Yorhe screw up, or did Yorhe screw up? It was pretty easy to tell he didn't have the pace, but changing to his wet bike was ridiculous. I kept thinking we was struggling with his front tire. When he entered the pits for his wet bike the only thing I could think was that he could go out for a couple laps while his other bike gets fresh rubber slapped on. But then he just quits. I'm still scratching my head about that one. I can't remember who basically predicted it in another thread. But as soon as Lorenzo knew Rossi was going to finish ahead of him, he threw his tantrum and retired. Not a good way to end the season, and not a good way to show your manufacturer that you will compete until the checkered flag. Granted, even if Rossi had DNFd in the last laps, it would have been a tall order for Lorenzo to make up enough points to steal 2nd place in the championship. But to just give up!? He's just making it even easier for Yamaha to choose which pony they'll back when push comes to shove. Ugh, just ugh!

How laughable is it that Cal Crutchlow would find his pace in the last few races of the season. Even though he finished just hundredths behind Dovi, I think he gave them the biggest middle-finger he possibly could. I mean, to take his non-upgraded GP14 and to be chewing on Dovi the entire race was hilarious. I reiterate, that GP15 had better be a huge cut above its predecessor. It will be an interesting season if Cal can carry that fire over to LCR. He's going to have his work cut out for him, however, because I think Scott Redding will be the top satellite Honda next year, at least I'm hoping so.

Is it just me, or does the new Suzuki look a bit old-fashioned? Looks like they've still got a lot of work cut out for them considering the technical issues during practices and qualifying. They couldn't even finish the race today. Here's hoping they iron out the wrinkles this winter.

Anyway, it was fun chewing the fat and talking about results with you fellas. C'mon 2015!
    I was very disappointed in Lorenzo and his performance on Sunday. Yes we all understand that you're not going to get many if any points coming back in to change back to your dry weather bike. It's the principle of the matter that your mechanics worked very hard setting up both bikes, especially getting bike #2 ready for wet weather, and this is how you repay them?? Lorenzo still could have tooled around the track and gathered some data for the remaining laps of the race. Certainly it's not the most prestigious way of running a race but Lorenzo made choice to come in and change to wet tires. That gamble didn't pay off and now you must suffer the consequences.

I've always liked Lorenzo and in the absences of Rossi I've always supported him for the win. However, that display of defeatism and lack of character really made me lose a lot of respect for Jorge. It's always been great watching him and Rossi duke it out and I think they make great teammates. Jorge pushes Valentino and vice versa. It's always made them better because of the competitive nature. Rossi has had to eat humble pie(his stint with Ducati provided two years worth of pie) and I think it's time for Jorge to do the same. He's just too competitive to the point of if he's not winning the race, then he's not happy. Which that is the perfect attitude to have and you want that in a rider. However, he needs to learn that you can't win them all and you won't win them all.

The problem I have with racers of this caliber(basically the best of the best) is they eventually start believing their own bullsh*t. People put them up on a pedestal for so long, they are trained from a young age that they are the best and better than everyone else and that no one should come compete with them. I don't believe in that at all and I believe that there is always someone out there that is faster, better and will out perform you. I do believe that when you do win, you were the best on that given day but you will never be the best on every given day. That's just not how it works.

Lorenzo needs to realize this and sooner rather than later.

As far as Suzuki is concerned. I'm sure glad to see them back. I loved the fact that they got to do a wild card for the race yesterday. I have to agree with Freddy Spencer when he was commentating during the FP and qualifying, that it's good to run this race and figure the bugs now before next year and when the 2015 campaign commences. The engine blowing up, the second one acting up was all good for them. Like Freddy mentioned, you can only run some much of testing and simulations but the actual race weekend is completely different. He said, you test and test but during the actual practice sessions things just go wrong. Engines blow, frames crack, engine management gets a hiccup. All these things can happen during testing but when it does happen it's not big deal. At a race weekend, when these problems arise it forces the team to react and move quicker in real time to fix them problems.

A. Espargaro and Mave did great jobs today. I figured Aleix would go quicker just because he's been in MotoGP already, whereas Vinales has to get used to the copious amounts of power and massive brakes. I'm still willing to bet that Mave will end up beating Aleix at some point next season.

As far as Crutchlow, I think he's going to have to prove some things on the new Honda. He's got a reputation as a bit of a bad mouther, so let's see how he handles next year. He's going to be on the best bike, so let's see if that translates into results and podiums.

Gotta say it was nice to see Loris Baz and E. Laverty out there today as well. As well as Melandri, a big welcome back to him. I think Melandri and Baz were treated very poorly in WSBK. Team orders are BS and I'll always believe that they are. It's what has ruined Formula 1 and it makes the race worse. I hate it when teams order one driver to yield to their teammate because their teammate has a fresher set of tires. Way I look at it, if they guy with the fresh set of meats is really that much faster, then he should have no problem going around the slower guys. Last time I checked, it's called "racing, and racing for positions, podiums and wins" and not called "time attack". Team orders have no place in racing. Yes you have a teammate but once the lights go out it should be every man for himself.

Lastly, to agree with Gramps. I'd love to see Rossi get his tenth but that's a very large mountain for him to climb. If he does manage to secure it next year or in 2016, then if I were him, I'd immediately retire. Better to go out with that 10th one, than to worry about trying to defend it. Gotta know when to say "when"...
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."