Thread: It Was Only a Matter of Time...

It Was Only a Matter of Time...

It took close to 2 years of street riding to get my first ticket. I honestly don't know how it took that long based on how fast I've been tending to ride. Morrison PoPo tagged me on WB 285 between C470 and Parmalee Sunday morning. That is a crappy section as the speed limit is, in my opinion, an artificially low 45 mph for the type of road it is (4 lanes, center barrier, almost no side traffic, curves but decent visibility). Officer was very cool, first thing he did was compliment by bike, said he rode too, and cut me a break. I was just going up for a quick loop, 285/Parmalee/74, but that put a damper on the fun. Oh well, it's winter now, so I won't get to ride nearly as much, so slowing down won't be as frustrating. Cops sure seemed to be out in force yesterday. Unfortunately the first one I saw got me.
    The Toys:
    05 Suzuki SV1000S
    07 KTM 450EXC
    00 Toyota MR2
    76 Toyota Landcruiser Rockcrawler
    13 Yeti SB66c
    Too many skis to list

Re: It Was Only a Matter of Time...

It's a popular cop spot on a side of the road heading WB. I rarely see them on the EB lane though where almost all people speed going down a hill.

Any cop that "rides" that pursues "riders" can suck a "cock"
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

Wonder if your the biker my mom saw get pulled over yesterday morning on her way back up there. She said the guy was going a little faster than traffic past people and then when he got to the cop it looked like he sped up and bam. Was it around like 11:30-11:45?

No, I guess he got someone else. Lucrative spot for him apparently. Mine was just before that at 10:35. Two annoying things. One, I was following a slower vehicle in the left lane for a little bit and he of all times decides to be nice and pull over for me, so I proceed to speed up past him. As I'm passing nice guy, I see he's quickly approaching another slower car in the right lane he moved to, so I speed up some more to allow him to get back over. That's exactly when I round the corner and get popped. Two, I saw the cop parked on the side of the road when I rounded the corner, but it didn't immediately strike me as being a cruiser, so I didn't immediately hit the brakes. May have saved me a few mph. He was using standard radar, rear facing and not laser like I thought most cops have switched to, which means a detector probably would have been helpful too.
    The Toys:
    05 Suzuki SV1000S
    07 KTM 450EXC
    00 Toyota MR2
    13 Yeti SB66c
    Too many skis to list

Very popular spot for the Morrison Fund Raising crew. Used to be great set of sweepers for some fun. I avoid going that way now.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzzzy1 View Post
    Any cop that "rides" that pursues "riders" can suck a "cock"
    those cocksuckers just want to say " I ride too..." Then offer to suck dong.. Haha...

It is nearly impossible to get a sportbike on laser unless you are directly in front of it, like on an overpass.

CSP does not have or use lasers. Lasers have to be stationary to be used, and CSP is discouraging sitting speed detection, wanting to increase visibility and focus on more aggressive drivers. So CSP is staying with their standard radar units, which fire front and rear rolling or stationary. Not sure you'll have a case, but the rear firing radars are difficult for the Trooper to positively identify who he is getting on radar, especially if it's a busy street. But this will be a hard case to make if it's your word against the Troopers.

I'm glad to hear the cop was cool, sorry you still caught paper. One ticket in 2 years isn't bad at all.

Interesting info Aaron, thanks. I was doing even better than 2 years, it's been probably 4 or 5, but I figured when I started riding on the street it wouldn't take long.
    The Toys:
    05 Suzuki SV1000S
    07 KTM 450EXC
    00 Toyota MR2
    13 Yeti SB66c
    Too many skis to list

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    It is nearly impossible to get a sportbike on laser unless you are directly in front of it, like on an overpass.

CSP does not have or use lasers. Lasers have to be stationary to be used, and CSP is discouraging sitting speed detection, wanting to increase visibility and focus on more aggressive drivers. So CSP is staying with their standard radar units, which fire front and rear rolling or stationary. Not sure you'll have a case, but the rear firing radars are difficult for the Trooper to positively identify who he is getting on radar, especially if it's a busy street. But this will be a hard case to make if it's your word against the Troopers.

I'm glad to hear the cop was cool, sorry you still caught paper. One ticket in 2 years isn't bad at all.
    Reminds me, I was driving to MN and got pulled in SD one day. He wanted to verify that the car was mine so he invited me to sit in his car while he looked up my registration. He showed me how he can radar cars on the horizon and how far ahead it goes (and how he knows I was speeding but my detector gave me enough headsup before he could actually "clock" me or whatever reason he lost my speed), so how does that work? Do they have to hit a button to get the speed and car on camera or is it just their word on who was actually going the speed that was indicated?

Present: 2006 GSXR 750 (black/yellow), 2006 Yamaha R6r (blue)
    Sold: 2011 Ninja 250 (green/black), 2007 R6s (blue)

Quote Originally Posted by GMR View Post
    Reminds me, I was driving to MN and got pulled in SD one day. He wanted to verify that the car was mine so he invited me to sit in his car while he looked up my registration. He showed me how he can radar cars on the horizon and how far ahead it goes (and how he knows I was speeding but my detector gave me enough headsup before he could actually "clock" me or whatever reason he lost my speed), so how does that work? Do they have to hit a button to get the speed and car on camera or is it just their word on who was actually going the speed that was indicated?
    Your question is kind of confusing, but I'll answer best I can. With radar and laser after the Officer gets a speed reading the Officer will put the gun aside. The gun saves the speed and distance (Laser only) for a preset amount of time (It's 10 minutes on my laser), and then it erases it for good. The Officer is not required to show you the speed reading, and does not have to show in court that that was the speed actually gotten from the vehicle. When the Officer testifies that the gun reported XX mph, that's all that's needed for that. The Officer still has to prove the rest of the case of course, but no additional printouts or recordings from the measuring device are needed.

As far as which vehicle was actually measured, that's the same scenario, it's up to the Officer to testify as to which vehicle he measured. On the laser they are extremely accurate, one can pick out a specific car in bumper-bumper traffic on I25 if he wished. With the radar it is more difficult. The radar guns I used actually had a pretty tight focus, so it was easy to determine which vehicle I had. However problems can be encountered if th radar is mounted to the car like in CSP's cars, not aimed guns, and there are several vehicles coming at the Trooper. The radar and laser units do not show you which car they are reading.

Cops are always waiting on the WB uphill section, I dont know why. Agree that most people blaze coming downhill (I do at least) and most other riders probably blaze down that hill. I dont see how they can get people going uphill really, most drivers usually go slow up that from what I see. Oh well sorry to hear of your misfortune. I will keep a lookout each time I hit that section.
    2005 Suzuki SV650s Blue (SOLD), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636 Lime Green

Hey Aaron, can Police give two tickets at once for speeding? I was cruising on my bike with my buddy on his right behind me. We were both cruising about 95. A cop on the overpass caught me and radio'd another on the on ramp. He pulled us both over and gave us both tickets. Is that right? Or should he only be able to ticket one person at a time for speeding?

Everything has already passed and all but I've always been curious.
    06 GSXR 750

Yes they can. I forgot which court ruled it, but a high court ruled that motorcycles traveling together do not have to be separately measured, a speed measurement from one goes for all in that group that are maintaining the same approximate speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ph03niX View Post
    Hey Aaron, can Police give two tickets at once for speeding? I was cruising on my bike with my buddy on his right behind me. We were both cruising about 95. A cop on the overpass caught me and radio'd another on the on ramp. He pulled us both over and gave us both tickets. Is that right? Or should he only be able to ticket one person at a time for speeding?

Everything has already passed and all but I've always been curious.
    That is why you should only pull over one at a time
    MRA Expert #880 - 2015 AmateurGTO Champion, 2013 NoviceGTU Champion
    2006 YZF-R6 Race "No name" - 2005 YZF-R6 Street "Aurora"
    2015 Sponsors: Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, STM Suspension, Silkolene Lubricants, EBC Brakes, Pit-Bull Products

Text: (72O) 432-7236