Thread: OBDLink MX, PLX KiWi 2 or UltraGuage

OBDLink MX, PLX KiWi 2 or UltraGuage

'03 YZF600R

Re: OBDLink MX, PLX KiWi 2 or UltraGuage

I use the ELM 327 (wifi, but they have a bluetooth) along with the the application on my Iphone called OBD Fusion. I love it and does so much. Here is a post I replied to a while back with some info http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...uge&highlight=

Exact one I bought from Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELM327-WIFI-..._Tools&vxp=mtr

Their bluetooth model (I have not used it) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-ELM327-...item460d4ecb10

OBD Fusion: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/obd-...650684932?mt=8
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

I looked at this scanner but i was worried it’s cheap to work good. Does it gets hot when you are using it? How long you had yours?
    '03 YZF600R

I’ve had mine maybe 4 months now I think. It is always plugged into my OBD and I have never noticed it gets hot or any issues. I even use it to display the MPH digitally (since my speedo goes by clicks of 20mph) and it has no issues with lag and is spot on. I mainly use it for a turbo gauge, but even that has been right on with no lag. I was worried too, but I figured for less than $20 it was worth a shot and I have no complaints. That software does a lot of cool things too; total customization.

What are you trying to accomplish?

I have a BT ELM device that I used with Torque Pro on an android phone. It worked OK, but my phone wasn't the greatest at maintaining the connection. I bought a ScanGauge II because it can be programmed to display non-standard items, particularly the transmission temperature for when I'm towing.

Quote Originally Posted by birchyboy View Post

I have a BT ELM device that I used with Torque Pro on an android phone. It worked OK, but my phone wasn't the greatest at maintaining the connection. I bought a ScanGauge II because it can be programmed to display non-standard items, particularly the transmission temperature for when I'm towing.
    Yeah I have never had connect problems; takes a few seconds to connect, but it has never dropped me. I use a Iphone 5. However I chose WIFI, because my car's handsfree uses bluetooth so I did not want them to interfere; could be that too!

Quote Originally Posted by birchyboy View Post

Just something to play with. See different information like MPG, temps, a/f ratio if possible and read/clear codes.
    '03 YZF600R

I will agree and double what bulldog said. I bought the same setup that he got for the total of $25 for the iphone 5S app and the ELM shipped to my door. Everything reads out good except my issues is the MPG on my Ram. I contacted customer support and they helped me a bit but still needs more tweaking to get exact numbers. Other than that it's pretty awesome.
    Erich-
    2004 SV650S - 8K miles - SOLD
    2003 SV1000S - 15K miles - My new love!

Thanks for the info
    '03 YZF600R

I am just amazed because ten years ago this type of setup would have cost over $300.....crazy how fast technology goes!

I was about to drop $300 for a vacuum turbo gauge (included install) till I came across this. I am happy with the OBDII and software and just use this for my turbo gauge instead. Got a cool phone mount, and now my added gauges are right in eyesight.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    I am just amazed because ten years ago this type of setup would have cost over $300.....crazy how fast technology goes!

I was about to drop $300 for a vacuum turbo gauge (included install) till I came across this. I am happy with the OBDII and software and just use this for my turbo gauge instead. Got a cool phone mount, and now my added gauges are right in eyesight.
    birchboy asked the correct question. "what do you want to accomplish?" It sounds like this is a good option for what you want.

Just remember scan tools are reading the interpretation of the computer they are reading through the OBDII connector.

For example in Bulldogs case while you are reading your turbo information it may or may not be correct. If the computer is translating the information incorrectly then you are reading false information. The manual pressure gauge in theory is giving you correct information if the gauge is working properly. Some would argue that you have to use both to make sure you are getting accurate info.

In this case when you are purchasing one of these OBDII readers you are getting "global info" It is info about your car of course, but it is only info that has been mandated to be available to everyone. Therefore the programming and hardware are cheap. If you want to actually read what the sensors or other computers are saying then that technology still cost a bit more.

Anyway just thought I would try to clarify some of your questions.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    birchboy asked the correct question. "what do you want to accomplish?" It sounds like this is a good option for what you want.

Just remember scan tools are reading the interpretation of the computer they are reading through the OBDII connector.

For example in Bulldogs case while you are reading your turbo information it may or may not be correct. If the computer is translating the information incorrectly then you are reading false information. The manual pressure gauge in theory is giving you correct information if the gauge is working properly. Some would argue that you have to use both to make sure you are getting accurate info.

In this case when you are purchasing one of these OBDII readers you are getting "global info" It is info about your car of course, but it is only info that has been mandated to be available to everyone. Therefore the programming and hardware are cheap. If you want to actually read what the sensors or other computers are saying then that technology still cost a bit more.

Anyway just thought I would try to clarify some of your questions.
    One thing to add is that the software does allow you to tweek it so if you do find you are getting a wrong reading, you can most likely adjust it. For me my buddy has the exact same WRX, but his came wit the vacuum gauge. We have put the digital next to the vacuum turbo gauge and they were spot on, but I did see I could adjust it is needed. I am sure it depends on the car since like Gramps said it is based of the car’s computer, so I could see some reacting different. I also use the digital MPH a lot, since my car goes in increments of 20mph, and I have also tested that many times by those speedos on side of roads. I had people tell me there would be lag, but I have been pleasantly surprised to find out there is none; I can even gun it and MPH keeps right up. For sure my solution is not the best, but for less than $30 I can’t see many complaining especially when you get into the software and see what it cane do; even will record/map a trip and reference all the data during that trip. The list of things it reads is huge; again based on the car’s ECU and what it shows.