Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice/ideas on a new jacket.

Need advice/ideas on a new jacket.

I'm finally looking for a new jacket. I want a race jacket that's comfortable enough for the street, and my budget is anywhere under 1000.

Must be leather, have CE armor, an integrated back protector or available one, front pockets, and neon green or yellow color or accents would be preferable.

I found several A* jackets that I really like, but A* doesn't make gear for tall skinny folk. As their sizes get bigger, the jacket is just for short fat guys and the sleeves are always too short.

I've looked at Dainese, but am afraid I'll run into the same problems as A* in respect to sizing.

Re: Need advice/ideas on a new jacket.

I'm really trying to find A* sizes that fit.

Their XXXXL jacket is for 6.4 to 6.5 feet tall, but the chest size is 51", mine is 41.

If you're needing longer sleeves try AGV. Every jacket or suit I've had from AGV have always run long in the sleeves. Then again I have T-Rex arms so it could just be me. However I've never had any issues with Joe Rocket stuff running long in the sleeves.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Aaron -

If you feel like making the trip up north I have a Vanson you should try on. If you like it I'll make you a killer deal.

Scott

On a related note.

On a serious note though, good luck man! I tried for years to get a leather jacket to fit me properly and never could find one. Either arms were too long or chest would not zip around my giant pecks. I hate to tell you, but most people have had to get them tailored which is not cheap....some Nate guy did it on this site for a long time. Issue is for leather to work properly it has to fit snug and tight so it may be worth the extra money to get it custom done....no way under $1k though

EDIT: Found info and guy that did this for many people on this site. Not sure if he is still around, but I remember most went to him Contact Nate Butler at 720-243-2059 and he can build you one.
    Last edited by bulldog; Mon Dec 1st, 2014 at 12:56 PM.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Senior Member Moderator

Not that he reads my posts since he blocked me, but over a year ago, just as Bulldog suggested, I suggested he should buy a jacket he likes best and have the sleeves lengthened. However, much like suspensions, if it isn't perfect straight out of the box, it's not good enough for Aaron! :P I've also suggested he look at brands that offer "Tall" sizes, or do a google search and find a page like this: http://www.revzilla.com/mens-leather...cycle-jackets# and look for a "Tall" selection in the submenu.

That Dainese Racing D1 jacket looks sick! http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/d...leather-jacket

The problem is there's just not a lot of leather options for tall folk. I also have fairly long arms, and my AGV suit is just a little short in the sleeves, but still pretty darn close. The nice thing about gauntlet-style gloves is they generally cover the rest. I will say I haven't had a problem with any textile jackets so far.
    Last edited by Drano; Tue Dec 2nd, 2014 at 02:49 AM.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drano View Post
    Not that he reads my posts since he blocked me, but over a year ago, just as Bulldog suggested, I suggested he should buy a jacket he likes best and have the sleeves lengthened. However, much like suspensions, if it isn't perfect straight out of the box, it's not good enough for Aaron! :P I've also suggested he look at brands that offer "Tall" sizes, or do a google search and find a page like this: http://www.revzilla.com/mens-leather...cycle-jackets# and look for a "Tall" selection in the submenu.

That Dainese Racing D1 jacket looks sick! http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/d...leather-jacket

The problem is there's just not a lot of leather options for tall folk. I also have fairly long arms, and my AGV suit is just a little short in the sleeves, but still pretty darn close. The nice thing about gauntlet-style gloves is they generally cover the rest. I will say I haven't had a problem with any textile jackets so far.

Senior Member Moderator

Nice one, Townie! You may just be setting yourself up to get blocked as well.

Hmmm...I may be blocked by him too...notice I never get replies. Hilarious he just comes on this thread and see all blocked threads; never blocked anyone so no idea how it works.

Nate Butler is the real deal though for leather alterations!

Senior Member Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Hmmm...I may be blocked by him too...notice I never get replies. Hilarious he just comes on this thread and see all blocked threads; never blocked anyone so no idea how it works.

Nate Butler is the real deal though for leather alterations!
    Yeah, I don't think he can take it when his personal image gets challenged. Better to just block the haters and continue patting himself on the back when it comes to his own awesomeness.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

Call Nate and have him make you a jacket from scratch with your measurements, requirements and colors. 720.243.2059 or email him at nate@americanbacon.com His shop is in wheat ridge. P.S. It won't be cheap!

Gold Member

Shit happens when you party naked.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    If you're needing longer sleeves try AGV. Every jacket or suit I've had from AGV have always run long in the sleeves. Then again I have T-Rex arms so it could just be me. However I've never had any issues with Joe Rocket stuff running long in the sleeves.
    I looked into AGV, wasn't really impressed by any of their offerings, and it scares me when they're 1/3 the price. Ditto with Joe Rocket. I'm also on a neon colored high visibility kick right now.

Quote Originally Posted by rybo View Post
    Aaron -

If you feel like making the trip up north I have a Vanson you should try on. If you like it I'll make you a killer deal.

Scott
    Thanks Scott, mainly looking for new but can you show me a pic? I'm big on looks.

Thanks for the advice bullldog, I've got Nate's info already from a guy I go to the track with (can't remember his name right now but he spends more time on csc than I do!). Trying to avoid spending $600 on a jacket, then another few hundred on alterations, and have it not look good. Ignorant of me to think he can't make it look good, but it's a concern. Plus I wonder if he'd be able to. He'd need to add a significant amount to the area between the shoulder and elbow, and again at the wrists, and again at the bottom of the torso for length. I just don't want it to look patched together when I'm dropping a grand on it.

Thanks Townie, could've left that worthless post blocked. Uh, tall sizes are still really far off, and I don't like that Dainese jacket.

I'm ok with not cheap, I've got about a grand budgeted. But I just am not sure he could match what the top brands offer in terms of removable liners, armor, pockets, design, etc. I'll get ahold of him and check out prices on akterations, but I'm skeptical.

Senior Member Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Thanks Townie, could've left that worthless post blocked. Uh, tall sizes are still really far off, and I don't like that Dainese jacket.
    Bwahahaha!

Gold Member

Worthless? There was even links!!!

Aaron you need a hug.

I'd still look into AGV or Joe Rocket. Both of my big crashes have been in AGV and Joe Rocket gear and both held up exceptionally well. Don't let price sway sometimes just because it costs the most doesn't mean it's any better than other gear of lower price. FWIW, I've always liked AGV and Joe Rocket for their ability to fit me well and price factor.

Good luck...
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

I forgot to mention that Icon is the brand that ended up fitting me well enough. Arms are still a bit long, but I just tuck them way over my gloves. 303 Cycles hooked me up with a sweet deal a few years back...maybe check them out too.

if you're ok paying $1k for a new jacket that is custom fitted for you, then why don't you have him make you one? He will design it however you like with the neon colors you want as well.. with armor. It's an effin no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I looked into AGV, wasn't really impressed by any of their offerings, and it scares me when they're 1/3 the price. Ditto with Joe Rocket. I'm also on a neon colored high visibility kick right now.

Thanks Scott, mainly looking for new but can you show me a pic? I'm big on looks.

Thanks for the advice bullldog, I've got Nate's info already from a guy I go to the track with (can't remember his name right now but he spends more time on csc than I do!). Trying to avoid spending $600 on a jacket, then another few hundred on alterations, and have it not look good. Ignorant of me to think he can't make it look good, but it's a concern. Plus I wonder if he'd be able to. He'd need to add a significant amount to the area between the shoulder and elbow, and again at the wrists, and again at the bottom of the torso for length. I just don't want it to look patched together when I'm dropping a grand on it.

I'm ok with not cheap, I've got about a grand budgeted. But I just am not sure he could match what the top brands offer in terms of removable liners, armor, pockets, design, etc. I'll get ahold of him and check out prices on akterations, but I'm skeptical.

Senior Member Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    if you're ok paying $1k for a new jacket that is custom fitted for you, then why don't you have him make you one? He will design it however you like with the neon colors you want as well.. with armor. It's an effin no brainer.
    Last edited by Drano; Thu Dec 4th, 2014 at 02:09 AM.

Dang......Sully is now blocked by Aaron! Never question the guy!

jk

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Dang......Sully is now blocked by Aaron! Never question the guy!

jk
    Oh noo.... now my feelings are hurt .... bwahahahahaha... NOT...
    Some people you just can't help since they think they know everything...

I would definitely talk to Nate. I've seen his custom made suits and they are nice, I've also seen plenty of suits he has repaired and they don't look patchwork. I had him extend and tighten the legs on my suit and am perfectly happy with it.

If an off the shelf jacket is the decision and you can't find anything that fits, instead of adding material in a bunch of places it would probably make more sense to get one that has the lengths you are after and then have a bit taken out of each side to shrink the torso. That seems like less work than adding in a bunch of places.
    Blair
    2000 GSX750F, 2003 YZ450F, 2004 GSXR750, 2006 ZX-14
    2013 CBR500R, 2016 YZF-R6 - MRA #760

I realize this thread is four years old but the number for Nate above is disconnected . Anyone know if he's still doing leather work or how to get ahold of him? Anyone have an alternative?