Thread: ABATE of Colorado Rotten from the Inside!!!

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

ABATE of Colorado Rotten from the Inside!!!

I am angry and saddened that ABATE of Colorado has gone this far. First, they loose $45,000 in a bad advertising deal. That's $45,000 of the money that myself and other supporters have given them and the person who made that bad deal still has her job. Then, because they were unable to make payroll and pay the bills, they asked the State Coordinator, Terry Howard, to take out a loan to cover the bills. ABATE, as an organization, was unable to secure the loan, so Terry took out a personal loan. Terry also started finding discrepancies in the books. Before she could present her findings, and the day the check cleared for the $28,000 to keep ABATE afloat, she was suspended on suspect of theft and fraud and subsequently forced to resigned. This is a woman who has dedicated her life to motorcycle rights, who gave tirelessly of herself, and worked so hard to give us sportbike riders a voice. She's never even so much as had a parking ticket.

Yesterday morning, Terry was forced to turn herself in to the Denver Police. She is facing charges of forgery and theft. She is very scared, having never had anything like this happen to her in her life. I personally believe that the DA is looking for a quick convection and is going off the flimsy evidence provided by the same people who forced Terry to resign. ABATE is fighting her unemployment and she is going to have some hefty legal fees. ABATE originally said they were going to pay back the $28,000 loan, but they cancelled the account the loan was being payed out of, and now Terry is responsible for the whole amount.

Please say a prayer for her, and here is the site if you would like to give in other ways https://www.change.org/p/abate-of-co...vidence-to-leo. I believe with my whole heart that Terry is innocent and I am saddened and appalled that ABATE threw her under the bus instead of taking responsibility, and punishing the real culprit.
    Last edited by bornwildnfree; Fri Dec 5th, 2014 at 11:52 AM. Reason: added paragraphs for easier reading
    "With every broken bone, I swear I lived."

Re: ABATE of Colorado Rotten from the Inside!!!

Blair
    2000 GSX750F, 2003 YZ450F, 2004 GSXR750, 2006 ZX-14
    2013 CBR500R, 2016 YZF-R6 - MRA #760

Site Admin

Yep, I've read Spooph's posts but I felt I should share my own views on a different thread.

I'm not privy to the details like you both are. That said, any person that takes out a personal loan to help float an organization that they aren't part owner of needs to have someone sit them down and explain why that is a bad idea. I hope that all turns out for her and the organization.

Quote Originally Posted by bornwildnfree View Post
    Yep, I've read Spooph's posts but I felt I should share my own views on a different thread.
    Fair enough, just wasn't sure, I know for me it's easy to miss things on here.

As I mentioned in the other thread I don't know all that much about it, or the people involved, just what I've read online. Hopefully the truth comes out and only those responsible suffer consequences.
    Blair
    2000 GSX750F, 2003 YZ450F, 2004 GSXR750, 2006 ZX-14
    2013 CBR500R, 2016 YZF-R6 - MRA #760

BWF, if everything is as you say, and I have zero reason to doubt your credibility, I feel bad for Terry, but taking out a personal loan for an organization that can't qualify itself is just asking for trouble. It sounds like a person with good intentions was taken advantage of and is learning a very hard lesson as a result and that is only a small portion of the trouble.

This Abate story is a complete nightmare.

Jason
    07 600RR
    07 Speed Triple -[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)] [/COLOR]GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)][/COLOR]

Site Admin

I should clarify, Terry Howard was the head of ABATE of Colorado, so she wasn't just some random person taking out a loan for the organization. She had been been in that position for a number of years and had no indications that taking out this loan would be anything other than business as usual. They were working on recovering from the $45k loss and ABATE promised her they would pay for the loan and they had been until this month.