Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gotta love Comcast :)

Re: Gotta love Comcast :)

Quote Originally Posted by t_jolt View Post
    You guys should check this out http://www.tomshardware.com/news/com...spt,28191.html

Also just so you know, after confirming with some comcast IT people its not happening yet in denver, but im sure its only a matter of time.
    It is happening in Aurora. I called a while back and had it turned off for my house. The XFinity WiFi app shows other houses in my area with the service running.

Last edited by birchyboy; Thu Dec 11th, 2014 at 11:29 AM.

Gold Member

Nate I'm still on ps3. My plan last year was to go to the 4 but man I never play anymore. Can't really justify spending the money on something a rarely touch anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Generic View Post
    Just to follow up on this, you don't have the ability to modify it on the modem/router settings. It's in a service menu they have locked down, you can call and ask them to disable it or do what I did which is get a Zoom cable modem and a separate router, it's more stable and you get better speeds plus you don't have to pay for their rental charge.
    Yup I have my own modem so they will not be getting me on this one.
    2010 Ducati Hypermotard 796

There's a lawsuit currently in process over comcast turning people's wifi into a public hotspot.

It's kind of a good idea but ethically questionable if you ask me.

On one hand the 'infrastructure' is already in place.

But on the other hand Comcast is effectively pushing off "Tens of millions" in electricity bills to their customers. The models consume 30-40% more electricity under heavy use than if it was just the customer's modem alone.

Then there's the whole network security concern.

Now if Comcast gave a discount to offset those costs and you had to OPT IN as opposed to being turned on by default (remember when Facebook set everyone's profile to PUBLIC?) then I would be OK with it.

But as implemented, it's kind of shady and at best a grey area.
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Hey PS4 guys and XBox guys... question for you.

So the last console system I owned was a Super Nintendo back in 1991 when I was 10 years old. I've (exclusively) used computers for gaming since 1994.

The main advantage with computers (for gaming at least) is they're upgradeable so you're never forced into using a 5 year old system with the next gen coming out "next year" or whatever.

But am I missing out? I've been looking at getting a 4K TV now that they've come down in price so much... to the point of only costing around 50% more than a 1080 TV rather than 500% more.

My basement has this badass home theater room with surround sound. Or rather it will... basement is nearly completed but I had speaker wiring installed in the walls/ceiling. Future mancave.

Wiring for two subs too

So for those who have used both a PC and a console; which is better?
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Senior Member Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post

So the last console system I owned was a Super Nintendo back in 1991 when I was 10 years old. I've (exclusively) used computers for gaming since 1994.

The main advantage with computers (for gaming at least) is they're upgradeable so you're never forced into using a 5 year old system with the next gen coming out "next year" or whatever.

But am I missing out? I've been looking at getting a 4K TV now that they've come down in price so much... to the point of only costing around 50% more than a 1080 TV rather than 500% more.

My basement has this badass home theater room with surround sound. Or rather it will... basement is nearly completed but I had speaker wiring installed in the walls/ceiling. Future mancave.

Wiring for two subs too

I use my PS3 for most of my multimedia needs. It can do media streaming like Netflix and Amazon prime. It plays Blu-Ray and DVD, it has 3d compatibility and so on. There are only a few times that I use the PC I built for my entertainment system, but you can build one to do everything a PS3-4 does except for play the console-specific games. As far as which one is better, it comes down to what you want to use it for.
    Last edited by Drano; Thu Dec 11th, 2014 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post

Wiring for two subs too

All depends on what kind of games you want to play. None of the consoles are going to be able to push 4K video games. Xbone currently struggles getting 1080p out of a number of games. Consoles are just easier to get into. I typically play more social games on the PC and more solo type games on the consoles.
    2010 Ducati Hypermotard 796

Gold Member

Also with console you want to watch how big that TV is with some games. Rock band and that works okay but if you get into anything with high refresh rates like fps or racing its going to suck.

Was using Comcast's 50mbps connection for 58$ a month up to the time I deployed. Never had a issue with it or them.

Dumped the TV package over 2 years ago and got a Radio Shack 35$ Antenna. Have full HD quality on the local channels with 60+ channels.
    Got a Chromecast for 35$ and anything on my computer or phone can be played on it. Can watch anything on any network at anytime for free off their websites. Plus the stuff on things like YouTube are getting pretty high grade. (Look up Nightwing the Series)

Have a PS3 and an X51 PC now. Looked at a PS4 but for what I can do with the PC, saw it as a better deal. Was getting into Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous after dropping my EVE Online account. SC and ED are incredible looking games and SC is still just in alpha.

Was thinking about an Oculus Rift after I get back. They are coming up on their public release and have seen it played with ED. Blows anything any of the consoles can do away.

MRA Racer No.427

Gold Member

I have really been playing with the idea of getting a PC just for eve. Why did you bail?

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Interesting info... I must have the world's best Comcast package it seems. Their 25Mbps internet (which consistently outperforms that downstream). HD cable with an upgraded sports package. HBO, Showtime & Cinemax. A 2nd HD box for my bedroom. Month to month billing. Less than $75.00 monthly. Which is to say $74.58 monthly.

Only thing I don't have is a DVR, but haven't felt like I'm missing out on anything terribly, without it.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Mostly because in EVE you can only PI in wormholes for so long before falling asleep...

Then I saw what Star Citizen was up to and is was easy to walk away. In EVE you fly by spreadsheet, in SC its about piloting skills. There are no levels just what you naturally bring to the table. in Arena Commander, even at this alpha stage, it has far better combat and now you can even race their ships. The designer, Chris Roberts is the guy that brought you Wing Commander and now he has a 65 million (and growing) crowd sourced budget without any investors telling him it should be like the next bad DOTA2 knock off. He is completely open to showing how they are making the game.

I liked EVE but it is over 10 years old now. Star Citizen will be the next generation.
    Last edited by Snowman; Fri Dec 12th, 2014 at 06:25 PM.

MRA Racer No.427

What you peeps doing now for ISP? I'm looking to switch from CL to Skybeam next month. Any feedback on their service?
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Erich-
    2004 SV650S - 8K miles - SOLD
    2003 SV1000S - 15K miles - My new love!

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbie303 View Post
    Dang. You work in their data center?

lol no, that's just the office speed. I can't even imagine DC speeds. But I'm not complaining.
    Erich-
    2004 SV650S - 8K miles - SOLD
    2003 SV1000S - 15K miles - My new love!

Got a bit of a boost...

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4117543642

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbie303 View Post
    And yeah man that's just sickening.

Edit:

2/6/2015 - Broke 180 this morning!!
    Last edited by The Black Knight; Fri Feb 6th, 2015 at 08:23 AM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."