Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I need advice..

Lightbulb I need advice..

So I have a k6 GSXR750 and got a speeding ticket on it about 5 months ago. The other day I was riding and passing cars in a mountain curve doing about 85 (two lane road). Then I spotted a car coming towards me and looked to my right, all the cars were pretty close together and doing like 40mph. I didn't have enough time to fit so I split lanes between traffic going slow on my right and oncoming traffic on my left. The suv swerved hard and gave me plenty of room but it was still one of the dumbest things I've done on my bike..

With that said, I'm thinking about downgrading. Not only to a smaller bike, but a scooter.. A honda ruckus to be exact. On the gsxr, I speed all the time, it's wayyyy to fun to be able to go 75 in first gear. I know I'm a fairly good rider but I'd rather not lose my license/crash my bike eventually.. I'm saying that might happen because of the way I drive (pretty aggressive). I'm really trying to humble myself and make sure I don't learn the hard way, and I think the only way to do that it to get a less than 250cc bike. I'm thinking about the ruckus because I can swap a 150cc into it and still do 60mph, while also being able to modify the ruckus to a large extent (theyre pretty cheap!), and I like the idea of being able to finally have the money (sell my bike) to modify something the way I want to.

My only question is, have you ever downgraded?? My good friend has an RC and keeps shaking his head and saying I'll miss the bike way too much and wish I never sold it. I just don't want to regret it!
    06 GSXR 750

Re: I need advice..

Far from a down grade, but I started riding the track a lot more and it slowed me down on street. I am always content to wait for my next track 'fix' as opposed to treating coal creak canyon like a raceway. Maybe its me getting old (close to 40), but I enjoy street riding more now than ever and its not near the speed it was 10 years ago. That said, I realize the track is expensive and its not for everyone.

Have you considered a DRZ?
    Owner and General Manager - Fun Center Cycles in Durango, CO

11 BMW S1000RR - Street - Lady on the street
    13 Kawi ZX6R - Track - Freak in the bed
    13 Triumph Daytona 675R - Wifes bike

2014 MRA 400 Production Class Champion

Have you considered a Grom? Everyone I've talked to who has ridden one says they are too much fun.
    2005 Yamaha YZF-R6 (SOLD)
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    Stupidity should be painful.

Havent really considered a drz.. But would I get into trouble trying wheelies? lol. Im trying honestly to see If I want to limit myself because I just want to have fun and non of it's legal..

The way I "like to" ride is how someone would on the track, so if I downgrade now, keep myself scootin along through college, maybe when I land a career I can afford to go to the track and have some fun. But for now I do think I want to downgrade.. Ive just never dd a slow bike before.

I have considered a grom! 2 or 3x the price of a ruckus but I'll look more into it. Thanks for that. One thing that's a big wager is the money and I'd really love to be able to modify something to my heart's content.
    Last edited by Ph03niX; Wed Dec 10th, 2014 at 09:25 PM.
    06 GSXR 750

Hey Ph03niX, I was in the same position a couple years ago with my r6. You should try to head out to High Plains Raceway for a bit. Trackdays are a blast, and SuperStreet is a great place to learn a lot.
    MRA Expert #880 - 2015 AmateurGTO Champion, 2013 NoviceGTU Champion
    2006 YZF-R6 Race "No name" - 2005 YZF-R6 Street "Aurora"
    2015 Sponsors: Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, STM Suspension, Silkolene Lubricants, EBC Brakes, Pit-Bull Products

Text: (72O) 432-7236

Gold Member

Make better decisions. We all make some dumb ones here and there. Just put it in check and slow down. If you need the speed head to the track.

I got a great DRZ for sale, and she's excellent around town transpo. Def not Gixxer fast but not so slow you can't get out of a bad traffic situation. This bike is a converted E model with only 3965 miles since frame-up build. Many after-market parts, motor and suspension built by Jim at Racers Edge, will pain me to see her go. $5k+ invested, asking $3500.

John
    KTM Duke 690

Thanks for the offer FZRguy, but I think I'll hold out for something different if I end up selling my bike.

Quote Originally Posted by WolFeYeZ View Post
    Hey Ph03niX, I was in the same position a couple years ago with my r6. You should try to head out to High Plains Raceway for a bit. Trackdays are a blast, and SuperStreet is a great place to learn a lot.
    And what did you end up doing? I totally would but I cant afford it and it's like 3 hours from me and I dont have anything to tow it with. :/
    06 GSXR 750

Senior Member Moderator

While I haven't technically downgraded, I have been bikeless for the past year and it's murder! Once you get the itch, it's near impossible to shake off. I don't think I could content myself with the switch to a scooter. Perhaps you can, but Townie has the right of it, as does Matrix and WolFeYeZ. How you ride is a product of choice. As irresistible as it is to feel the surge of acceleration and have clear highway in front of you, it comes down to choosing the correct time and place to do so. That means either reigning in your passions on the street, or getting your fix on the track. As much as I love giving Aaron shit about his S1000RR, I've always admired his ability to hold back when riding on the street. If he can control himself on a 193 horsepower monster, I'm sure, with some practice and patience, you can do the same on your GSXR 750. Either way you choose, I wish you luck.

I know exactly how you feel... It's why I've had a ninja 250 for the past 5 years... And also why I've found you can ride even that way too quick... Along with what others have said, it's a choice, and you can make that choice I also know it's a lot of fun to feel like you're pushing the bike and that big bikes just aren't fun on the open street, at least not for me, so here's a few things to thing about in addition to what has already been mentioned.

A 250 is perfect for IMI - cheap track days so you can get your speed on there.
    You'll have barely JUST ENOUGH for the street, and you will struggle on the uphill in the mountains. After some time you'll wish for a bigger bike, or you'll learn to pick your roads differently (IE - rist canyon is a lot more fun on a 250 than a bigger bike) to do the hooligan thing.
    If not a ninja 250, then something older. The key here is not how fast you go, it's how fast you FEEL, or THINK you're going... The older the technology on a bike, the faster it feels at lower speeds, so a cafe racer might be in your future.
    As others have mentioned - dirt, throw some bumps and trees in the mix and FAST is much more attainable at reasonable speeds.

And dare I say you'll learn how to ride really fucking well. Not saying you can't do that on bigger bikes, but if the bike is less capable you learn all of the technique at much slower overall speeds (IE - my 250 feels the same on rist canyon as a 600 feels on 7, and a 1,000 feel on central city speed way, but I'm only doing 45 on rist, while central city speed way is upwards of 110).

Also, I vested interest, I want another speed freak on a 250 to ride with and Bueller is just superior... :P

Anyway, my .02. Tops to you for being honest with yourself and us.
    Respect and truth trump all!
    I don't get lost. I explore.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    Make better decisions. We all make some dumb ones here and there. Just put it in check and slow down. If you need the speed head to the track.

Its not the bike that chose a bad time to pass, changing bikes won't correct bad decisions.

Recognizing that you did something stupid is the 1st step and what many of us here have gone through ourselves. Some learn there is a time and a place, and others never learn.

Dropping to a scooter will suck, if you want to cap your speed, get a DRZ as others have suggested. you won't be able to go 85 without a friend towing you down the road, but you will still be able to have a lot of fun. Plenty of people here have gone from 600s/1000s to DRZs and never regretted it.

Jason
    07 600RR
    07 Speed Triple -[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)] [/COLOR]GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)][/COLOR]

This is all self-control……and I think you know that deep down! I don’t think changing bikes is going to help much, but changing your habits is needed instead. I went through the same thing years back when I got hit with a ton of tickets; got one ticket worth 10 points. I stopped riding for a few months then realized I needed to learn to enjoy riding without going fast. My solution was ride canyon roads (or track of course if you can) and work on getting through my turns with little brake; meaning perfect control into and out of turns….and stay speed limit on straights since anyone can go fast in a straight line. I also had to put my ego in check and realize if someone passes me it does not mean they are faster and I do not need to prove this. I started riding more alone so I could go my own pace and tried to make it more about the ride than proving how fast I was…..as others says save that for the track. So maybe your solution is to get a track bike so you get it out of your system that way! You would be amazed how slow some racers ride in canyons and then you see them fly on track. For years I thought I could beat many racers because of this because I would be head of the pack on CSC rides. I’d look at racers and be like “wow they are slow in these canyons and I could beat them”. Then you get them on the track and get lapped! Lol Some of the best riders you will find out have the best self control on the streets mainly just from experience.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    You would be amazed how slow some racers ride in canyons and then you see them fly on track. For years I thought I could beat many racers because of this because I would be head of the pack on CSC rides. I’d look at racers and be like “wow they are slow in these canyons and I could beat them”. Then you get them on the track and get lapped! Lol Some of the best riders you will find out have the best self control on the streets mainly just from experience.
    I have noticed the same, the only difference is I never thought I was faster than any of the racers.

The only time I get anywhere 1st is when I am riding alone, or when some dipshit in a 14 sec ricer tries to show me how fast his lowered Civic is. I don't think I will ever be mature enough to ignore those Fast & Furious wanna-bes when they pull up next to me in traffic or at a light.

Jason
    07 600RR
    07 Speed Triple -[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)] [/COLOR]GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)][/COLOR]

Yeah well... I'm finding myself getting lax lately and know I should slow down. I probably won't change my behavior until I get a fat ticket. I'm not doing felony speeds mind you, just 15-20 over on open roads on the regular. Can't imagine downgrading from the ZX14 though, it just seems like if I was willing to do that I would just get out of motorcycling entirely. I'm still entertaining the fantasy that my grey beard will get me off easy when I do get nailed.

"With Great Power Comes Great Irresponsibility"
    Last edited by tooncinator; Thu Dec 11th, 2014 at 11:10 AM.

My ZX10 was the first bike that ever made me stop and think about how I was riding on the street. It was simply not fun to ride under 90 in a straight line and miserable to ride in any corner unless you were getting after it. God I loved it.

Taking it to the track was fun, but my monthly expenses went up about 6-700 dollars so that wasn't to cool. It's a roll of the dice man. Totally understand where your coming from. A motard would be fun but that opens up a whole new can of worms.
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

The only speeding ticket I've ever gotten on a bike was a 250... you can always speed, but it might be better to get a ticket going 60 in a 40 than 95 in a 60 I suppose. I'd still advise against getting a tiny bike, just work on your self control. Try the track I guess.

Are DRZ's really that slow? I swear I was riding with some guys on here who were on (what I thought were) DRZ's, I was on my R6 going pretty deep into triple digits where I could and I could not make up on them. I know they were faster in the corners but there is no way a DRZ is that slow or I would have caught up to them on the straights--which I was hardly doing
    Last edited by GMR; Thu Dec 11th, 2014 at 12:36 PM.

Present: 2006 GSXR 750 (black/yellow), 2006 Yamaha R6r (blue)
    Sold: 2011 Ninja 250 (green/black), 2007 R6s (blue)

Thanks for all the comments everyone. I'm definitely thinking about what every single one of you said.

Quote Originally Posted by kawasakirob View Post
    My ZX10 was the first bike that ever made me stop and think about how I was riding on the street. It was simply not fun to ride under 90 in a straight line and miserable to ride in any corner unless you were getting after it. God I loved it.

Taking it to the track was fun, but my monthly expenses went up about 6-700 dollars so that wasn't to cool. It's a roll of the dice man. Totally understand where your coming from. A motard would be fun but that opens up a whole new can of worms.
    I didn't realize that the top speed of the drz was only 85.. That would be a great bike Im sure! But like you said, it opens up a whole new can of worms.

When I honestly think of why I want to get a smaller bike, the reason is because I WILL go fast on a larger capable bike. I'm just not at that point in my life yet where I want to give up that WOT pull.. I know it's about self control and I guess with saying that, is on a bike, I don't have much. So if i get a bike that is incapable of really doing dumb/illegal stuff on, I'll be ok.

But is that what I really want? I'm still trying to work through that.. I love that 750 without a doubt. I grew up sheltered and shy, and now I'm at the point in my life where I just want to break free and have fun. Man this is tough..
    06 GSXR 750

If $ were no issue, I'd have a Zero for around town and a bagger for touring. My DRZ is a dirt model torque monster that wants to go go from a stop, and is great fun around town or roads like Lookout Mtn. No fun on the hwy and I just putz along in the slow lane, which ain't such a bad thing for short trips. A six speed tranny would make her a lot more versatile. Surprising Suzuki has not updated this motor by now, considering they have sold a zillion of them.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

If you want to ride a ninja250, give me a shout. It's been modified a bit, so it's got a bit more go than a stock 250, but not much.
    Respect and truth trump all!
    I don't get lost. I explore.

Keep the bike you have and go to a track day. Yes track days may sound expensive but its a whole lot cheaper than a speeding ticket and alot more fun. Why get tickets and lose your license? In Virginia, reckless driving was a felony charge. Lawyers fees to reduce it to improper driving was $2000 and up. I did the math, I can buy alot of track gear and track days for the amount of $4500 my lawyer cost me for one speeding ticket.
    On another note, improving your riding skills on a track improves your skills on the street.

I mean if I get a scooter, the highway wont really be the place for me anyway. So a DRZ would be nice but I'd think I'd try to pop wheelies too much.. Like I said, I'm pretty sure I need to limit the bike because it's incredibly hard for me to limit myself. Yes it's a choice but I just want to have fun, it's my daily goal and is what keeps me happy.

I'll have to take you up on that offer sometime Spooph! It's really good to get your hands on a bike and ride around to see if you like it or not!
    Quote Originally Posted by BadR6Man View Post
    Keep the bike you have and go to a track day. Yes track days may sound expensive but its a whole lot cheaper than a speeding ticket and alot more fun. Why get tickets and lose your license? In Virginia, reckless driving was a felony charge. Lawyers fees to reduce it to improper driving was $2000 and up. I did the math, I can buy alot of track gear and track days for the amount of $4500 my lawyer cost me for one speeding ticket.
    On another note, improving your riding skills on a track improves your skills on the street.
    I don't think you understand, I'm living paycheck to paycheck. I really dont have any money to give people christmas gifts.. I can not afford the track.
    06 GSXR 750

You're welcome to ride my DRZ too. I get to ride your Gixxer.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Senior Member Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ph03niX View Post
    I mean if I get a scooter, the highway wont really be the place for me anyway. So a DRZ would be nice but I'd think I'd try to pop wheelies too much.. Like I said, I'm pretty sure I need to limit the bike because it's incredibly hard for me to limit myself. Yes it's a choice but I just want to have fun, it's my daily goal and is what keeps me happy.

I don't think you understand, I'm living paycheck to paycheck. I really dont have any money to give people christmas gifts.. I can not afford the track.
    Not trying to be rude, but I think you're misunderstanding as well. The responders here are trying to offer an option that may solve your problem more effectively through education rather than through a change in machinery. The track, while not cheap, is the place to gain that self-control. What I'm understanding from your posts is that you're saying you simply can't help yourself. With that being the case, even a scooter may not solve your problem. If you end up getting pulled over for 45 mph in a 25 mph zone you're still going to get a hefty ticket. If you really can't control yourself, get a dirt bike and ride the trails. You can ride as fast as you want and really hooligan it up without traffic or the fear of a ticket. Honestly, I think you'll just drive yourself insane on the scooter and after a couple months you'll regret getting rid of your GSXR. Education is the first solution to your dilemma. Just my $0.02 though.

IMI is only $40 with no bike tech required. It is mucho fun on a small bike or sumo.
    John
    KTM Duke 690