Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cop pull over protocol

Cop pull over protocol

I have never been pulled over by a cop on my motorcycle but I imagine plenty on the forums have been. I was riding on Alameda yesterday and noticed a bike pulled over by an offer and it got me thinking. I wanted to ask asbout the protocol of what you should do when pulled over.

When pulled over should you take off your helmet before the officer gets to you. Do you get off the bike and stand next to it before he gets to you. If asked "do you know why I pulled you over" do you admit it is you know it or say "No I don't know". What types of things do you say or don't say when talking with them.

Just gauging advice incase that time ever comes.
    2005 Suzuki SV650s Blue (SOLD), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636 Lime Green

Re: Cop pull over protocol

I've never been pulled over either. Personally, I'd shut the bike off and wait for them to ask/say something before I do anything. I keep my wallet in my inner jacket pocket. Reaching for it could easily be misconstrued.

Gold Member

Pull over. Shut bike off. Remove lid. Wait for officer. Never admit to a crime. Its an instant confession.

First off, I will never answer "do you know why I pulled you over" with anything other than NO. The officer knows why they pulled you over. There is no reason to offer up a reason to the officer, make them tell you. If you get pulled over for speeding but offer up that you forgot to signal when changing lanes, you just admitted to another traffic violation.

As far as what to do, birchboy suggested exactly what I have done in the past. Turn the bike off, put the kickstand down to show you aren't going anywhere as soon as the officer steps out of the car, and keep your hands out of your pockets, tank/tail bag, or backpack. I keep my hands on the tank until I am asked to provide something and then I will tell the officer exactly where my hands are going to retrieve the license/registration/insurance. No reason to make the officer more nervous by moving around a lot and putting your hands where they can't be seen.

Be POLITE. You won't ever improve your situation on the side of the road by being disrespectful or arguing regardless of the attitude of the officer.

Jason
    07 600RR
    07 Speed Triple -[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)] [/COLOR]GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)][/COLOR]

Senior Member Moderator

After shutting off the engine I try to set up the proper environment for the officer by playing N.W.A. through my phone's speaker, and by making sure he/she is aware that I know my rights and have more knowledge of the law than they do. Usually they just say, "Good for you!" Then they walk back to their cruiser and leave. It works every time!

"I knew it was a crime, and I did it anyways"...shit, no wonder I have so many tickets. I think I stopped caring somewhere between my 3rd and 30th ticket... I've never been excessively harassed, so at least there's that.

I personally leave my lid on though. You're on the side of the road, vulnerable. Yeah, they should see the cop and move over but you never know... Why remove it unless they ask you to make sure you are who is on the license. I got pulled over on my way to a CSC wing night initiated by JMetz one night when I got popped on 104th Ave. SO many people we're rubbernecking me while I was just sitting there on my bike, it was ridiculous. Not many people in Westy know me anyways, but it's still annoying so I'll leave it on
    Last edited by GMR; Mon Dec 22nd, 2014 at 02:32 PM.

Present: 2006 GSXR 750 (black/yellow), 2006 Yamaha R6r (blue)
    Sold: 2011 Ninja 250 (green/black), 2007 R6s (blue)

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by GMR View Post
    "I knew it was a crime, and I did it anyways"...shit, no wonder I have so many tickets. I think I stopped caring somewhere between my 3rd and 30th ticket... I've never been excessively harassed, so at least there's that.

I personally leave my lid on though. You're on the side of the road, vulnerable. Yeah, they should see the cop and move over but you never know... Why remove it unless they ask you to make sure you are who is on the license. I got pulled over on my way to a CSC wing night initiated by JMetz one night when I got popped on 104th Ave. SO many people we're rubbernecking me while I was just sitting there on my bike, it was ridiculous. Not many people in Westy know me anyways, but it's still annoying so I'll leave it on
    Right up until the cop doesn't like something and cuffs you and throws your lid into the dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    Right up until the cop doesn't like something and cuffs you and throws your lid into the dirt.
    Well then that cop is a dick! I've never had a situation like that in all my times, so I find it highly unlikely

I'll recount my first and only ticket on the bike.

Come to a stop and turn off bike
    Get off bike
    Remove Helmet

Officer already yelling that I'm getting a ticket.

Officer: Do you know how fast you were going?
    Me: No I was watching you make an illegal u-turn behind me.
    Officer: You were going 82mph any reason you're going that fast?
    Me: The manual says the fun drive doesn't engage until 88mph.
    Officer: I'll get your ticket.

Also so take pictures, cops love that.

Last edited by Jmetz; Mon Dec 22nd, 2014 at 03:19 PM.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

Gold Member

Well then that cop is a dick! I've never had a situation like that in all my times, so I find it highly unlikely

Took a trip to sac. Forgot all my stuff on my toolbox. Wallet reg and ins. Got busted doing a wheelie. Cop asks for info and I just out my head down and said I left it all in nv.

He grabbed me and threw me up against his hood. Got real aggressive. I just said sir I know I screwed up but I'm not resisting. He takes my helmet off and throws it in the dirt.

All in all the cop wasn't a total dick and just wrote me a ticket. But it does happen.

So I believe I'm one of the only Officers on the forum that actively posts, so when I speak of it, you should choose to listen (What movie?)

I don't stop bikes. But if I did. Pull over as far off the road as you safely can, and if on the highway, an exit ramp if you are close to one. Bike off. Kickstand UP, not down. Helmet off if it doesn't take long, and hands on the handlebars.

As far as the comments go, that's a lawyer talking, and lawyers have attitudes, which will irritate the cop. I don't ask if you know why I'm stopping you, but if I did, your answer is irrelevant. I wouldn't be stopping you if I didn't already have Probable Cause to write you a ticket for it. Answering "I was probably apeeding" won't hurt you at all, and I could argue it'd help you. I like honesty. I like people who can understand they did wrong, see why it's wrong, and drive a bit safer after the contact.

However, I don't ask people. My line is "Good evening Officer Aaron with the Police Department, the reason I'm contacting you is for your speed, I have you on laser at 62 in a posted 45 mile an hour zone. I need to see your license and insurance."

Cooperate, be polite, jokes are ok if not directed at the cop, and notify them if you're recording or have a large knife or gun. I don't mind you taking a picture if you want, but if you're going to get off your bike to, then ask and respect the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post

I don't stop bikes. But if I did. Pull over as far off the road as you safely can, and if on the highway, an exit ramp if you are close to one. Bike off. Kickstand UP, not down. Helmet off if it doesn't take long, and hands on the handlebars.
    Is this because you want to make sure the person doesn't do anything suspicious/bad towards you? I'd feel like I was ignoring him If I did that. Good to know though!
    06 GSXR 750

Hands on the handlebars isn't a big deal, at least not after the initial contact. As an Officer I just want to see your hands because then I don't have to worry. So after I'm right up there with you on the tank is fine.

Took a trip to sac. Forgot all my stuff on my toolbox. Wallet reg and ins. Got busted doing a wheelie. Cop asks for info and I just out my head down and said I left it all in nv.

He grabbed me and threw me up against his hood. Got real aggressive. I just said sir I know I screwed up but I'm not resisting. He takes my helmet off and throws it in the dirt.

All in all the cop wasn't a total dick and just wrote me a ticket. But it does happen.
    Well that figures a wheelie and no license/registration is a whole separate issue. He already decided he hated you at that point he saw you do a wheelie, and not having license/registration made it worse. They are so used to seeing speeders, when I got my ticket going to Quaker Steak I also didn't have my registration/insurance and left my helmet on and it wasn't an issue at all (except for further complicating things). I doubt he would have thrown your helmet in the dirt if he just pulled you over for speeding. I got pulled over in a GTR and the cop didn't even ask for license/registration, just said calm it down. What Aaron said, no hurt in admitting to speeding, no point in bullshitting. The times I've said I didn't know the speed limit was __ therefore didn't know I was speeding, it almost always ends in a ticket. When I admit I was speeding, I do still sometimes get off

Gold Member

Well that figures a wheelie and no license/registration is a whole separate issue. He already decided he hated you at that point he saw you do a wheelie, and not having license/registration made it worse. They are so used to seeing speeders, when I got my ticket going to Quaker Steak I also didn't have my registration/insurance and left my helmet on and it wasn't an issue at all (except for further complicating things). I doubt he would have thrown your helmet in the dirt if he just pulled you over for speeding. I got pulled over in a GTR and the cop didn't even ask for license/registration, just said calm it down. What Aaron said, no hurt in admitting to speeding, no point in bullshitting. The times I've said I didn't know the speed limit was __ therefore didn't know I was speeding, it almost always ends in a ticket. When I admit I was speeding, I do still sometimes get off
    Oh I get it. Because I forgot to bring that with me on a trip and did a wheelie I deserved to have a very expensive helmet ruined.

Hahahaha yeah no hurt in admitting guilt on scene. But then again you could be dealing with a dick head on a power trip.

I would also like to point out according to Arron knowing your rights sounds like attitude. Attitude means more issues from cops. Why? Because you better do as the cop says. He is the law.

Fuck that. Admit to nothing. There is many ways to avoid that question. And no nothing you say can help you court. It can only hurt you. Period.

I am not saying when the cop comes up to be a dick to him. But at the same time you still have rights and you should use them. Cops should remember even at traffic stops they are public servants.

Gold Member

I love this video.

I love this video.
    I have seen that before, well worth watching.

Jason
    07 600RR
    07 Speed Triple -[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)] [/COLOR]GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)][/COLOR]

I would also like to point out according to Arron knowing your rights sounds like attitude. Attitude means more issues from cops. Why? Because you better do as the cop says. He is the law.

Fuck that. Admit to nothing. There is many ways to avoid that question. And no nothing you say can help you court. It can only hurt you. Period.

I am not saying when the cop comes up to be a dick to him. But at the same time you still have rights and you should use them.
    I'm not saying knowing your rights means attitude, but often the two go hand in hand. Yes, you don't have to say anything and only have to roll down your window a few inches. Well if there was any chance of you getting a warning, it's gone now. And that burned out tail light I was going to just mention in addition to your speeding ticket? Well since you won't talk, neither will I. I'll just write it down after the speeding charge.

The supreme court has ruled a person's admission alone does not amount to probable cause for charges, the officer needs corroborating evidence. If you answer the why did I stop you question with because I didn't signal, I cannot charge you unless I saw you not signal. But then if I saw you not signal, your admitting it or not doesn't make any difference, I already have probable cause.

That video isn't bad, but it doesn't take into account that officers have discretion. Officers want to see your driving behavior change when stopping you for a traffic violation. What makes me think a simple warning will get you to change if you're not willing to apologize and admit fault? Jkol is right, you'll get a ticket every time. If that's what you want, so be it, but why read this thread at all? The entire point of this thread is etiquette so that one stands the highest chance of getting a warning.

I handle car accident claims for a living and I am yet to see a police report that does not cite the party that is at fault (in colorado) wheras in California or other states I handle the cops find parties at fault but do not give tickets. What gives in CO??? It's bad enough that your day is ruined being in an accident, you have your deductible, and your rates will probably raise, but then the cops insists on giving a ticket.

When my wife was at fault for earending someone they made it worse by tacking on a ticket and the office told her it is STATE LAW that the at fault party needs a ticket. I call bullshit on that as other states even the extremely screwed up state of California they will not give citations (not all the time but most of the time)

Good vid thanks for posting.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

It's not state law, it's just become common operating procedure with departments. There's no way to have an accident without one or more drivers violating a traffic law. And if your driving was bad enough today that it actually caused an accident, a ticket is believed to be in order.

I don't agree with the practice. My departments reasoning is how do we decide what drivers get tickets, and which ones don't? I see their point too, especially in today's world when people think it's all about race. It's becoming a world in which the Officer is losing discretion because there's always allegations. Won't be any allegations if everyone gets a ticket for everything.

I stopped a gangster a while back, and he had a restraining order and part of it says he can't drink. They are fairly common in RO's when a person has shown the courts they can't handle themselves when drinking. We arrest people all the time when they're causing problems because of their drinking. But the department has come to the conclusion that we HAVE to arrest because it's a judges order. So I stop this kid, and he says he's had a beer. He is respectful, and cooperative. Run him through roadsides and he passes without a signs of impairment. I check his record, semi ugly past but no felonies, and not even a traffic ticket in 2 years. Says he's been doing good, and working full time. Has to be at work at a machine shop at 8am, it's like 11pm now. An arrest means he's unemployed.

It's a crap situation, because an arrest will restart his criminal cycle. Our goal is to change criminal behavior, and by all accounts his was changing. But my department felt I should arrest him no matter what.

I ended up letting him go, and just prayed no one in my agency found out, and that my cover officers didn't rat me out. Luckily agency didn't find out, and my cover officers stayed quiet, but man I was worried for a long time over that, all because I did the right thing.
    Last edited by Aaron; Tue Dec 23rd, 2014 at 02:54 PM.

It's not state law, it's just become common operating procedure with departments. There's no way to have an accident without one or more drivers violating a traffic law. And if your driving was bad enough today that it actually caused an accident, a ticket is believed to be in order.

I don't agree with the practice. My departments reasoning is how do we decide what drivers get tickets, and which ones don't? I see their point too, especially in today's world when people think it's all about race. It's becoming a world in which the Officer is losing discretion because there's always allegations. Won't be any allegations if everyone gets a ticket for everything.

I stopped a gangster a while back, and he had a restraining order and part of it says he can't drink. They are fairly common in RO's when a person has shown the courts they can't handle themselves when drinking. We arrest people all the time when they're causing problems because of their drinking. But the department has come to the conclusion that we HAVE to arrest because it's a judges order. So I stop this kid, and he says he's had a beer. He is respectful, and cooperative. Run him through roadsides and he passes without a signs of impairment. I check his record, semi ugly past but no felonies, and not even a traffic ticket in 2 years. Says he's been doing good, and working full time. Has to be at work at a machine shop at 8am, it's like 11pm now. An arrest means he's unemployed.

It's a crap situation, because an arrest will restart his criminal cycle. Our goal is to change criminal behavior, and by all accounts his was changing. But my department felt I should arrest him no matter what.

I ended up letting him go, and just prayed no one in my agency found out, and that my cover officers didn't rat me out. Luckily agency didn't find out, and my cover officers stayed quiet, but man I was worried for a long time over that, all because I did the right thing.
    Ya know, it's guys like you that give cops a GOOD name... lol
    Seriously though, I feel that we need more Officers that understand the difference between the intent of the law and the letter of the law.

That sounds like a good story of a good cop. I understand the reasoning at the beginning of the comment as well, but it really just sucks when it seems to be more common practice here than in other states. I've seen complete fatalities caused by blatant disregard and the cop does not give a ticket in the accident. Whereas my wife taps the rear of the car ahead and he gives a ticket about the cost of the damage caused and will stay on her record for 3 years. The other lady basically stopped at a yield sign thinking it was a stop and it wasn't and no traffic, icy in the morning and my wife slid. I would think a little slack could have been given.

Gold Member

I'm not saying knowing your rights means attitude, but often the two go hand in hand. Yes, you don't have to say anything and only have to roll down your window a few inches. Well if there was any chance of you getting a warning, it's gone now. And that burned out tail light I was going to just mention in addition to your speeding ticket? Well since you won't talk, neither will I. I'll just write it down after the speeding charge.

The supreme court has ruled a person's admission alone does not amount to probable cause for charges, the officer needs corroborating evidence. If you answer the why did I stop you question with because I didn't signal, I cannot charge you unless I saw you not signal. But then if I saw you not signal, your admitting it or not doesn't make any difference, I already have probable cause.

That video isn't bad, but it doesn't take into account that officers have discretion. Officers want to see your driving behavior change when stopping you for a traffic violation. What makes me think a simple warning will get you to change if you're not willing to apologize and admit fault? Jkol is right, you'll get a ticket every time. If that's what you want, so be it, but why read this thread at all? The entire point of this thread is etiquette so that one stands the highest chance of getting a warning.

I don't trust cops. Never have.. Never will. I will stick to my rights over cooperation all day every day.

They created the divide with their communities and now have to deal with it. While I was on the side of the cop with Ferguson doesn't mean i don't recognize a real problem with law enforcement.

I do respect you coming here and throwing out two cents from a officers point of view. I will just have to agree to disagree.