Thread: Close to buying a Ducati, how much is the service going to cost me on this?

Close to buying a Ducati, how much is the service going to cost me on this?

Hey folks,

I'm very close to buying a 2010 Multistrada w/ the Ohlins suspension. The bike has 7700 miles so it's due for its 7500 service interval (oil change).

But looking at a Ducati service interval (from a shop at least) - is there really a valve check every 7500 miles? Aren't valve checks like something rediculously expensive like $800-1000 a pop? In the prime riding season, 7500 miles comes and goes about 2 1/2 months with riding 3000 miles per month in the canyons.

The bike is sweet and the upgrades well done. My only real hang up is the realatively short service intervals.

I've always had Yamaha bikes and their 26,600 mile valve checks.

So I'm hoping someone might be able to clarify when the big intervals are due and how much I can expect to pay out.

Anything particular about this model year (2010)?

Thanks!

Clovis
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Re: Close to buying a Ducati, how much is the service going to cost me on this?

When you start buying Italians, you can't start worrying about stuff like this.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Senior Member Moderator

Nice, Clovis! I've always wanted to get a Pikes Peak edition Multistrada. Definitely not the belle of the ball, but they sure make a great noise! I know Bashed has a Multi, if you still have his info maybe you should hit him up about it. Good luck with the purchase!

Forgive my ignorance but is 2010 the 2 valve or the 4 valve engine? IIRC the 4 valve engine calls for a valve adjustment every 15k.

Quote Originally Posted by koop View Post
    Forgive my ignorance but is 2010 the 2 valve or the 4 valve engine? IIRC the 4 valve engine calls for a valve adjustment every 15k.
    I looked a little more into it and found Ducati had issued a service bullitin changing the valve service to every 15K miles.

Still, in a good year 15,000 miles is a single season for me. I've never ridden less than 10,000 miles in a season and that's with zero commuting, all recreational riding.

So the long service intervals and reliability of Yamaha is a big reason why I'm now onto Yamaha #4 and #5.

For example, if I wanted to get serious about long distance riding and rally riding I would keep my FJR as there's nothing more dependable.

Did I mention the Multistrada has 5 more HP and weighs 150 pounds less than the FJR and is ever bit capable of 2 up riding? See my delima?

So pretty much every season would involve at least one 6 hour (ducati) rated service every season versus every 2-3 seasons on my Yamahas at a cost of around $250.

You can either buy the tools and learn to do the maintenance yourself or pay $1200 to have it done every 15000 miles. You'll need belts and valve check. Welcome to Italians
    -Travis-

Save yourself a lot of pain in the long run and avoid the 2010 1200s models... Spend a couple of extra bucks and find a 11 or newer... trust me!

I had a love/hate relationship with my Multi. When it worked, it was the best bike I've ever owned. That was the problem. In the two years I kept it, it was in the shop numerous problems with electrical gremlins, leaking this or that, blown fork seals (I had the 1200s w/ Ohlins as well), the list goes on.

I rode it to CA and loved it, rode it around Yellowstone and loved it, rode it to my sister's house in Frederick and had to short the entire electrical system just to get it to start because the electric steering lock decided it was unlocked when it really wasn't.

By 2011 and into 12 and 13 they exercised the electro gremlins and I haven't heard anyone with near the amount of problems I had. If I were to get another 2010, it would only be the base model, not the "S".

All that being said, with as many problems as I had with mine, I still occasionally comb through ADV to see if there are any used ones out there for a song. I'd love to have another one... just not a 2010 model.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Thanks for the heads up on the 2010 Salsa!

This particular 2010 was manufactured June 2010 so it was one of the last 2010 model years. I don't suppose you know if they fixed the electrical issues by this time?

I don't know about when/if they worked out the bugs... I had my ecu replaced and reprogrammed under warranty, but I don't remember when it was done.

If you know the manufacture date, see if you can get service records... If you have a dealership hookup, see about work performed via the vin?
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!

I know the ECU was replaced with the 'race' ECU that comes with the full Termi exhaust. I also know those MSTs also had a problem with the rear brake being weak to non-exsistant which has also been resolved. From what I've seen and researched it looks like everything on this bike was done right and it's perfect. It's just a little expensive for a bike that's about to turn 5 years old.

This is the bike in question.

https://cosprings.craigslist.org/mcy/4756405263.html

The seller is probably asking too much at $15K - Here's another 2010 S w/ AMS and a Termi slip on for $11,250. http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/mcy/4802098334.html

There's 10 pages of Craigslist pages for a 2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S or 1200S (about 100 bikes) nationwide.

So the question becomes:

Does the full termi exhaust / ECU (about $2500 from what I've seen online) and Ohlins active suspension module ($500) and some various carbon fiber accessories equal out a $3000 to 4000ish premium?

Also, the valve check/adjustment and a belt change need to be done every 15,000 miles. (That's every 1-2 seasons for me) - the service is $1500 at Fey Meyers which is an hour away (no Ducati service dealers in Colorado Springs?)

For 15K, I'd be at Fay's picking up a brand new Aprilia Caponord... too much for a 5 year old used bike.

Nothing against this guy and his bike, it looks nice, but one man's bolt on goodness is another man's garage dust collector. There are way too many multis out there, as you pointed out.

Heck, here's a 2012 @ Fay's for 500 more than this guy wants - http://showroom.auction123.com/fay_m...669905306.html

As for the termi and ecu, that's entirely up to the owner. I loved the sound of the stock exhaust and had no need to replace the can.

I wouldn't recommend slipping the service intervals. One thing you learn w/ Italians is that they require their time at the spa... Just figure it into the cost of ownership. I guarantee that the first time you throw a multi into the twisties, the last thing you'll be thinking about is that next service interval.

Or how about a 2011 for 13K...

http://www.ericomotorsports.com/new_...70&pov=3930862

With it being winter, see how far they're willing to wheel and deal...

Also, These are dealer links... gives you an idea on what the people who do this everyday think they can get for them, so you can better negotiate a private sale if you're so inclined.