Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Down payment made on my new machine :)

Re: Down payment made on my new machine :)

Wait Drano and Aarron working together and on his bike. I'm I seeing that right? Lol
    Nice man congrats and gawd daynm your forking out all kinds of shit for this bike!

Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Quote Originally Posted by GNGSXR View Post
    That's going to be looooooooud. What are you doing for fuel tuning?
    you plan on tracking this bike?
    Ya it was pretty loud according to Drano, we'll see once I get the chance to actually ride it. Nothing for the time being, the bike starts and runs well, but it is throwing a check engine code because I removed a the two cable servos that operate the factory exhaust flaps. Eventually I'll go with Bren Tuning, they are the masters of tuning the BMW, but they haven't cracked their 2015 yet. I already have

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    Color scheme is clean. Nice looking bike. I would like to see the double-R's on the tank replaced in blue, to match the propeller. Other that that, pretty sharp. Get the entire bike in the frame in the next picture though.
    Thank you, probably going to go a different way though. I like the RR in white, the blue would look odd to me. Since my front fender will be CF, going to paint the wheels red and/or white.

Quote Originally Posted by One-ops View Post
    Wait Drano and Aarron working together and on his bike. I'm I seeing that right? Lol
    Nice man congrats and gawd daynm your forking out all kinds of shit for this bike!
    Ya we kissed and made up. I'm single again, so my only expense is the bike. And on this bike, to me there's no reason not to go all out.

Bought a couple motor items, just because I can Hopefully I'll get a Sargent seat on the way in a couple weeks, and a new windscreen soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Ya it was pretty loud according to Drano, we'll see once I get the chance to actually ride it. Nothing for the time being, the bike starts and runs well, but it is throwing a check engine code because I removed a the two cable servos that operate the factory exhaust flaps. Eventually I'll go with Bren Tuning, they are the masters of tuning the BMW, but they haven't cracked their 2015 yet. I already have
    Did you manually turn the wheel that the cables were attached to on the servo before removing it? On the previous generation S1KRR you can remove the servo motors without getting a visible fault light as long as you did not move the wheel. Moving the wheel causes the ecu to constantly see an incorrect start position with the servo even when it is disconnected. There is still a fault code if you take it to the dealer or use a GS-911 tool but it is only visible in the ecu and pretty much just shows that the servo motor is gone if it was removed the correct way. A buddy of mine had the same issue. We put the servos back on, ran the bike, then removed servos without touching the wheel and the fault light was gone.

Bren seem to be tuning bikes for straight line use. I don't agree with their ecu adjustments such as changing the bmw torque control/reduction pre-control or somewhat removing the bmw set fly by wire control parameters. Linking the wrist control directly to the throttle bodies is a horrible idea. Fly By wire started in Mototgp in the early 2000's. It has had more than enough time to be smoothed out and is nothing short of a benefit to us mere mortals. They advertise it as removing the factory "throttle restriction." There is a reason bmw has variable length intake runners working with the the fly by wire system and it is most certainly not a "throttle restriction."
    There sometimes over inflated dyno numbers and 1/4 mile times are impressive but I wouldn't trust their ecu flash on a track with turns unless you possess the throttle control of a world champion. I could be wrong but I have yet to see a single novice, amateur, expert road racer user their tune on the track. That's why I was curious if you were going to use your bike on the track but with all the sexy carbon bits you may not be tracking it anytime soon =) by the way I am jealous and that front fender is beautiful.

I don't want to sound like I am being too negative on your Bren choice cause I am definitely not the smartest person around. What made you decided on using Bren rather than just a simple AFR tuner like PCV with autotune?

Newb question - where do you order your HP parts from? Directly from the dealer? The bmw motorrad site seems more of a bare advertisement site than a site to purchase parts from.
    Last edited by GNGSXR; Sat Feb 28th, 2015 at 10:40 AM.
    2013 BMW S1000RR
    1973 Honda CB750 / GSXR
    1987 buick grand national
    '06 GSXR 750. Race Track. Everyday Commuter. Long distance tourer. Sold

I probably did turn the cable wheels on removing them, they were straight up hell to get removed on my 15. The rear one is above the swingarm behind the rear shock. We had to disconnect the shock and lower the swingarm and even then took creative combination of extensions, swivels, and adapters to get the bolts removed. I'll try just plugging them in and cycling the ignition a few times, see if that does it. Thanks for the hint!

I did not know that about Bren, I definitely don't want any of those values messed with, as I'm perfectly happy with the throttle response and gradiation as it is. They say on the 12-14 bikes BMW limited power in the first 3 gears with ignition timing as their wheelie and traction control wasn't quick enough to intercede and keep the bike smooth, it's "pogo" effect was too violent without power limited. However the 15's DTC system is much more advanced, and at our altitude the 13 has no problem though it still pogos.

I'm shying qway from the PCV because it is the simple option, and I feel I could get better results and more support from Bren, as my expectations are extremely high. That is, I want it to run like OEM in every respect, just with more power. I am having no problems now however, the bike starts right up even in 0 degree weather, idles perfect, etc. Only issue is it smells on cold start (No cats), and the check engine lights.

Thanks for the advice though!

I plugged both actuators in and started the bike, and got no check engine light. I carefully removed each without turning the wheels on either, then turned the bike on, and had an instant CE lamp. So they do check themselves on ignition power and need to be removed on the flash.

I probably did turn the cable wheels on removing them, they were straight up hell to get removed on my 15. The rear one is above the swingarm behind the rear shock. We had to disconnect the shock and lower the swingarm and even then took creative combination of extensions, swivels, and adapters to get the bolts removed. I'll try just plugging them in and cycling the ignition a few times, see if that does it. Thanks for the hint!

I did not know that about Bren, I definitely don't want any of those values messed with, as I'm perfectly happy with the throttle response and gradiation as it is. They say on the 12-14 bikes BMW limited power in the first 3 gears with ignition timing as their wheelie and traction control wasn't quick enough to intercede and keep the bike smooth, it's "pogo" effect was too violent without power limited. However the 15's DTC system is much more advanced, and at our altitude the 13 has no problem though it still pogos.

I'm shying qway from the PCV because it is the simple option, and I feel I could get better results and more support from Bren, as my expectations are extremely high. That is, I want it to run like OEM in every respect, just with more power. I am having no problems now however, the bike starts right up even in 0 degree weather, idles perfect, etc. Only issue is it smells on cold start (No cats), and the check engine lights.

Thanks for the advice though!
    This is a good read explaining the electronics on our bike and it keeps it simple. http://www.moto123.com/motorcycle-ne...y?artid=116129
    Minus your super awesome auto blipper for downshifts and DDC.
    I hate to link to the bmw forum because most of the threads on the site diminish my brain cell count but this one is definitely worth a read and it is by a well known mechanic/engineer. http://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/ex...need-know.html
    He explains the "throttle restrictions," why intake velocity should not be messed with and has telemetry data to explain his points.
    I haven't seen any evidence yet that peak powers is limited specifically in gears 1-3. I'll try looking for info on it. My DTC seems to control front wheel lift very well too.

I honestly have not seen any negative reviews on Bren which is good.
    I am just nervous about tampering with some of the settings that the Bren handheld is capable of doing after seeing how our bikes let you use the power. We will see how much your bike dominates mine though. Maybe I will change my mind then.
    Last edited by GNGSXR; Mon Mar 2nd, 2015 at 08:56 PM.
    2013 BMW S1000RR
    1973 Honda CB750 / GSXR

I plugged both actuators in and started the bike, and got no check engine light. I carefully removed each without turning the wheels on either, then turned the bike on, and had an instant CE lamp. So they do check themselves on ignition power and need to be removed on the flash.
    well...shit. We removed both servo motors on a 2011 without issue. It did throw a soft code that was only visible by the dealer or on a gs911, no CE lamp though.
    I am literally in the process of removing my stock exhaust to install a full Akrapovic. I'd really like to remove my servo motors especially the huge one on the front left. I guess i'll see what happens with just unplugging them first.

Last edited by GNGSXR; Mon Mar 2nd, 2015 at 08:53 PM.
    2013 BMW S1000RR
    1973 Honda CB750 / GSXR

I wish you would've told me I would've loved to come over and help out!

DTC controlled my 13 well too, it just pogo-ed through 1st (And 3rd at sea level). The new bike literally floats the entire 1st gear. I doubt my bike will pull away on yours very hard if at all, especially considering DTC is active until well past 100mph.

LED turn signals on the way!

You have entirely toooo much money man. Good for you! I am jealous as I am sure others are as well
    2005 Suzuki SV650s Blue (SOLD), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636 Lime Green

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

LOLZ... I'd have to agree with Aaron, I actually had high hopes for the R1, considering Suzuki hadn't done a REAL update to the Gixxer for years now. But nooooo, they had to make it Fugly. Those headlights look like Vato-Zone running lights off of a '87 Civic......

Looks like we ordered the same thing, with the exception of color scheme (got the blu/wht "Motorrad") and any HP bits. I'll shop elsewhere if I want all that. Should be here early June....
    Last edited by CYCLE_MONKEY; Tue May 12th, 2015 at 10:56 AM.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Go see Rob Chrisman run his R1 at the track and you'll change your mind rather quickly
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Nah. It's still Fugly, and the BMW still has WAY more motor, especially in the mid and lower ranges. Plus, DDC (for my long trips), cruise control, quickshift, heated grips, etc..... I'm waiting for the Cycle World or similar comparison. I want to see the dyno results. For me the bike is a street bike first, racebike never, and trackday bike very occasionally. Even if I was to race one, I'd still pick the BMW, but with the base suspension and wheels.....and replace them with Ohlins, forged wheels, and Brembo t-slots w/monoblocks.
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

So where's BMW in the high leaguea if they're so great? .... oh wait.... they even exited F1
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

"high leaguea"?? You mean WSB? They were doing pretty well a couple years there, up until Johnny "Crash 'Em!" Rea took both the BMW's out that one race. I'm disappointed that they pulled out. They shoulda stuck with it. They were so close!

The last I remember them in F1, was a LONG time ago.

Besides, it's a streetbike for me. Got more motor than the R1 for sure, a lot more comfortable, and far more things I want for the street. Plus it's not Fugly with Vato-Zone Civic running lights. I'm good.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    "high leaguea"?? You mean WSB? They were doing pretty well a couple years there, up until Johnny "Crash 'Em!" Rea took both the BMW's out that one race. I'm disappointed that they pulled out. They shoulda stuck with it. They were so close!

The last I remember them in F1, was a LONG time ago.

Besides, it's a streetbike for me. Got more motor than the R1 for sure, a lot more comfortable, and far more things I want for the street. Plus it's not Fugly with Vato-Zone Civic running lights. I'm good.
    Holy shit... Cm... I missed you bro.

MCN did a comparison and decided the R1 was fastest around the track they tested on, but the BMW made a better street bike. The BMW beat the R1 in most of the acceleration and braking tests, although the Kawasaki beat the BMW in a couple as well. Realistically for most people they are going to be so close I would say the looks / features / etc make more of a difference than worrying about which one had the best lap time under a professional rider.
    Last edited by blaircsf; Fri May 15th, 2015 at 11:21 AM.
    Blair
    2000 GSX750F, 2003 YZ450F, 2004 GSXR750, 2006 ZX-14
    2013 CBR500R, 2016 YZF-R6 - MRA #760

Just giving you shit man, those S1000RR are some bad ass bikes for sure. I'm just a Yamaha nut and after seeing Rob at the track with that beast I want to trade my SF now ... when do you get your ride in Frank?
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    Go see Rob Chrisman run his R1 at the track and you'll change your mind rather quickly
    Go see him run anything on two wheels out there and I'm sure we would all be impressed haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    Go see him run anything on two wheels out there and I'm sure we would all be impressed haha.
    He hit the top this weekend though man, even in that puddle coming into turn 1 he had the rear wheel in the air and off the track and still managed to save it, I was working turn 1 and that was just insanity. He was doing wheelies on the back straight lol
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Rode the bike to the Black Hills and back, and everything went well. Bike performed perfectly of course, and I love the creature comforts it offers.

Unfortunately I didn't protect the paint from the saddle bags and mounted them different from suggested, and they wore down the paint in some sections of the tail. So the tail is apart getting re-painted.

And, that is the perfect time to add some carbon fiber to the tail. So the undertail and tail light surround pieces in carbon fiber are here, waiting for the repainted pieces to go on.

One of the LED halos had a couple LED's fail, so I had to send that light back to have it replaced. Really sucks having this bike out of service for so long, but it'll be worth it.

Did Frank ever get his S1000RR in? If so post pics joo FOG
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1