Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: UFC Champ Jon Jones tests positive for cocaine

Gold Member

Re: UFC Champ Jon Jones tests positive for cocaine

Quote Originally Posted by Nolan View Post
    When is life fair?
    Well true. But we know nothing really at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    So is it fair to strip him of something before a conviction?
    I am sure UFC was put into a position where they had to do something because nearly every major network is covering this and adding how this cannot be allowed.

Also on April 10th 2013 they put into effect a “Fighter’s Code Of Conduct” that states (and believe every fighter had to sign):
    "Fighters shall conduct themselves in accordance with commonly accepted standards of decency, social convention, and morals, and fighters will not commit any act or become involved in any situation or occurrence or make any statement which will reflect negatively upon or bring disrepute, contempt, scandal, ridicule or disdain to the fighter or the UFC."

Full contract here https://canadianmmalawblog.files.wor...of-conduct.pdf

Also I believe Jones met with Dana White yesterday and admitted to what he did; details were not disclosed.
    Last edited by bulldog; Wed Apr 29th, 2015 at 10:42 AM.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    So is it fair to strip him of something before a conviction?
    Townie. I was thinking about that. What would my boss do if I had something like this happen. Well, based on asking "what if" scenarios in the past to my bosses, and my current management role, I would expect that I would likely be removed from my active projects. Requested to go to treatment. Not fired, but suspended from active duties until I could show that the legal / personal issues are either mitigated or resolved. Note, I am in corporate America and not the face of my organization, but certain steps seem reasonable. That is sort of what they have done to him. He isn't out of the UFC, just suspended so that the weight class can continue to evolve. The weight class shouldn't stop waiting for him to return.

So in this case I would say yes. he now has legal issues that seem to be a pattern of behavior. Clearly legal and some on the personal health perspective.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

He's fucked up a lot lately and they gave him chances. Unreal that after having it all, just threw it away. Damn shame
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Let us not forget that he's just a kid living a privileged and very "public" life that none of us can understand, even if we think we could put ourselves into his shoes. Most young adults are arrogant, entitled and ultimately "selfish" to sum it up simply. Inject into that a demeanor required of a "corporate figurehead", "World Champion prize fighter", not to mention a personal life behind closed doors, and then fold in a heavy dose of multi-millionaire, and yeah... Reality can get very blurry, very quickly I imagine. I could realistically see myself losing my shit, if I were in his shoes.

A.) I'm glad he didn't kill anybody.
    B.) I'm glad he didn't kill anybody.
    C.) I'm glad the UFC has done what it has.
    D.) I hope he gets better and comes back to reclaim his career's work, once he sorts his "personal" out. He's only 27.
    Last edited by ~Barn~; Wed Apr 29th, 2015 at 12:38 PM.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Hope he can bounce back cause dude that's a damn shame.
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

I doubt he will get this, but I am pretty shocked that this severe a penalty is being talked about; although I am sure it is because he had a prior DUI he plead guilty to and had other legal troubles in past.

Legal Analyst Says Jon Jones Could Face Three Years in Prison

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones’ legal troubles stemming from his alleged involvement in a felony hit-and-run accident that resulted in injuries to a pregnant motorist could carry serious consequences.

The April 26 incident in Albuquerque, N.M. has already cost Jones his belt, a suspension, and endorsement deals, but the legal aspect of the situation could be far worse than what he's already faced from a career standpoint.

The universally considered top pound-for-pound fighter in the world appeared before Judge Maria Dominguez in an Albuquerque court on Tuesday, but wasn’t required to enter a plea to the charges against him.
    Fox Sports 1 legal analyst Rob Becker outlined a bleak prognosis for the 27-year-old’s court case during a recent edition of UFC Tonight.
    “The next step is up to the prosecution. They have to decide whether to go in front of a Grand Jury and try to get an indictment. But given that it seems clear what this guy did, and there are so many witnesses to it, I think it’s inevitable that there will be an indictment,” he said.
    Becker believes Jones’ legal team is likely trying to seek a plea bargain behind closed doors.
    “I think behind the scenes what could be happing is his lawyers are trying to get a plea bargain with the prosecution,” said the legal analyst.

The seriousness of Jones’ alleged crimes became crystal-clear when Becker was asked what punishment the athlete can expect.
    “I think he’ll get three years. Now, the judge could knock it down to two years for mitigating circumstances, but in order for that to happen he’s going to have to show that when he left the scene of the crime he didn’t think there was any reason why there would be a serious injury,” he said. “And considering he knocked the victim’s car into another car, that’s going to pretty difficult to do.”

The charge against Jones is Knowingly Leaving the Scene of an Accident Causing Bodily Harm or Death, which is a Third Degree Felony in New Mexico. A Third Degree Felony conviction can include sentencing of up to three years imprisonment in a state prison.
    If Becker were representing Jones, he’d try to get a plea deal for as little times as possible and have Jones present his best case for why he allegedly left the scene of the accident.
    “I would suggest that he try to get a plea bargain for as few years as possible, maybe a year, or a year and a half. And I would try to get him to stress whatever reasons he has for trying to say, ‘hey, I left the scene because I just didn’t think there was a big deal here.’”

I hope he does get sentenced to the three years, and serves a solid 18 months of it. If that doesn't put this boy on the straight and narrow, nothing will.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

This dude man, can't believe it... well time to pay for his fuck ups
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Enjoy.

~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

And so it is written...

18 months of supervised probation.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/9/29...d-run-mma-news
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Gold Member

Hang him.

every one deserves a second chance.

I wanted to be fair and post this as I was very impressed with Jon Jones newest interview. Everyone deserves a second chance and from this interview I am very excited to see him return.

https://youtu.be/dAcfjK6LZaU?t=2<---mods if you could please embed as it does not work for me; or I do not know the trick

Plus Jones be hitting the weights lately and can't wait to see how great he is now; fool was beating the best and partying all the time he says....imagine now.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ufc...l-Cormier.html

P.S. He claims heavyweight division is next......can't wait!
    Last edited by bulldog; Wed Dec 2nd, 2015 at 12:02 PM.

Jones is on a mission, seems like he learned his lesson. He's a good dude with immense talent. Can't wait to see him back
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Gold Member

I still say hang him.

I too think he deserves a second chance. It would have been too bad and a waste of tremendous talent had he banned for good. However, I am not fully convinced he has changed as a person. Not sure if douchebagery/cockiness is still his top personality trait. Nonetheless, looking forward to seeing him fight again.
    Perhaps he could learn a few things how to carry himself as the champion his sparring buddy Holly Holm does. You can be a famous and bad-ass fighter without the doucheness.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiutis View Post
    I too think he deserves a second chance. It would have been too bad and a waste of tremendous talent had he banned for good. However, I am not fully convinced he has changed as a person. Not sure if douchebagery/cockiness is still his top personality trait. Nonetheless, looking forward to seeing him fight again.
    Perhaps he could learn a few things how to carry himself as the champion his sparring buddy Holly Holm does. You can be a famous and bad-ass fighter without the doucheness.
    Jones seems to completely respect Holms and the way she carries herself. I saw some comments he made about her recently and it surprised me that it was Jones making them. I hope some of that rubbed off on Jones, he has a lot of talent, but is still young and stupid.

http://www.mmamania.com/2016/7/6/121...-violation-mma

Wonder what it was this time. Does the USADA test for recreational drugs out of competition or only PEDs?

Jason
    07 600RR
    07 Speed Triple -[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)] [/COLOR]GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by JKOL View Post
    http://www.mmamania.com/2016/7/6/121...-violation-mma

Wonder what it was this time. Does the USADA test for recreational drugs out of competition or only PEDs?
    He got caught for PED's aka: steroids. He was tested for recreational drugs during his criminal probation so he wasn't caught for that, but a test done on June 16th by USADA (for the fight) showed he had a banned substance (rumor is two were found). There is a B sample they are testing now, but the odds it will be different are very slim, so appears Jones tried to cheat and was caught. If they hit him with two substances he will face a 4 year ban....2 if only one found....and less if he the commission goes with a deal. Guy has made some bad decisions and just continues to make them...sad as he is one of the greatest fighters

Jones claims he will be back, but who knows after that long. Bummer as I was looking forward to this fight.

Now Anderson Silva will face Daniel Cormier in Jones place!

It is too bad because he is amazing in the octagon, but I can't imagine missing 4 years of his prime fighting age will be good for him. Of course that is assuming he can even stay away from trouble (I doubt he can) and stay focused on fighting and training with no fight for 2-4 years.

i can't imagine having worked so hard at something along with having some incredible natural ability, and not being able to avoid messing up.

Jason
    07 600RR
    07 Speed Triple -[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)] [/COLOR]GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)][/COLOR]

Saw someone posed the question, and it bodes asking here for discussion. With all the drama and issues in mind, do you still consider him the GOAT? That is if you did before. Or should he remain in the discussion for GOAT?
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

b sample showed same results as a sample
    now we wait to see the ban
    No tickets YET this year *Knock on wood*

07 Audi S4 DTM
    06 CBR 1000rr

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Saw someone posed the question, and it bodes asking here for discussion. With all the drama and issues in mind, do you still consider him the GOAT? That is if you did before. Or should he remain in the discussion for GOAT?
    That is a tough question and one that has been debated in pro sports for a long time; Lance Armstrong, Barry Bonds, Alex Rodriguez, Serena Williams, etc.

For me, I see that most pro athletes are on something to cheat and the extreme talent these athletes have demonstrated shows they are special. I would still consider Jones as one of the GOAT (greatest of all time) only because I feel so many other fighters have cheated most their career and the only reason we are seeing them caught now is because UFC went with the strict USADA testing; who is a separate entity of UFC so they have no stake in the tests. Pride fighting had some of the greatest fighters ever, but it has come out over the years that they never tested any fighters and they all knew this and took major advantage of it (coke and roids). So to discount Jones, would also be discounting all these others fighters that made a career in it.

Yet saying that, I feel Jones was an idiot for risking this as he has seen so many others caught recently that passed for years; Anderson Silva, Yoel Romero, Frank Mir, etc. So with his career in such jeopardy I am not sure why he would have done this as now it likely will be over and it would have been better to lose than this happening. All I can think is Jones was out for a while and figured he could continue to use the “supplements” he had used for years and be ok, but better USADA tests caught him. I find it hard to believe a fighter just takes whatever and then plays the “I had no idea” excuses as if this is a Sunday game of touch football….this is their career so if they are dumb enough to not monitor what they use, then they deserve to have consequences. Yet I am sure they know they are cheating and only go with this excuses because they hope the commission will be lenient on them.

Now I do feel bad for the pro athletes that are trying to be clean and having to compete with the “cheaters”. They have the toughest decision and that is to “sell out” and start cheating too, or get left behind by the players that can cheat and get away with it. I just don’t see PED’s ever going away in sports and it will always be how money can stay ahead of the testing and give a player the edge…..sad but true.

Quote Originally Posted by AOK303 View Post
    b sample showed same results as a sample
    now we wait to see the ban
    Yeah the B sample was the same…big surprise there

What I am unclear of is if he is facing a 2 or 4 year ban since the rumor is he tested positive for two substances. I thought it was 2 years for each supplement found, but I could be wrong. Guess we have to wait and see, but I doubt we will see Jones in sooner than two years back fighting.
    Last edited by bulldog; Mon Jul 11th, 2016 at 08:58 AM.