Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Watch Freaks in this place?

Any Watch Freaks in this place?

It seems like there are some connections between fast high tech motorcycles and high tech watches. How many watch people are on here and what do you have or want? Anything counts from Casio to Rolex.

Also this is a decent website for info and research.
    http://www.watchfreeks.com/

My Currents:
    Tissot - 2008 MotoGP
    Tissot - 2009 Nicky Hayden
    Rolex - Datejust
    Rolex - Submariner
    Cartier - Ballon Bleu
    Shinola - (new this year)

Seiko
    Victorinox - Officer

Wouldn't mind trying at some point:
    Breitling
    Patek-Philippe
    Jaeger-Lecoultre
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Re: Any Watch Freaks in this place?

I'm a huge fan of timepieces. I'll have to get a list of what I have. I don't have the impressive list you have. I've been really into Invicta timepieces for years. What their reputation is among the watch world is neither here nor there. I've got many pieces that feature japan quartz, japan automatic to their full Swiss made and movement pieces. I love their brand and their styles/designs. Sure they got their name doing homage pieces(i.e. Submariner) but their Bolt, Venom, Subaqua are completely different from what you'll find elsewhere.

I'll get a list together and post it up. I've come close to pulling the trigger on an Omega Seamster but just couldn't bring myself to do it. I'd love a Submariner just can't bring myself to do that one as well.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

I currently only have one watch but I love it. It's a Citizen Eco Drive (Solar powered). I wear it pretty much every day. I know it isn't anything like the list above, but I love never having to buy a battery for it.

It's funny cause just a few years ago people would comment on my watch and say things like "Wow you wear a watch? Everyone just looks at their smartphone to check the time." But for me it wasn't just about the time, I love the way it looks too. And now that Smart Watches are catching on, everyone is getting a watch again haa haa!!!
    Jimi
    2013 Honda CBR500R Previous: 1989 Honda CR250R

I like watches, but not to the extent of Gramps!

my favorite is my Movado, a wedding present from my wife. My other watches are Citizens, Seiko's and an Orvis.

I like watches. Was digging around on the Shinola site the other day.

http://www.shinola.com/shop/watches/...FQEGaQodWSYAsQ
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    I like watches. Was digging around on the Shinola site the other day.

http://www.shinola.com/shop/watches/...FQEGaQodWSYAsQ

I have worn the Shinola now most days for about a month and I am impressed. It's not a glamour piece but that is why I bought it. It's classy and most don't have any idea what it is.

My wife bought mine directly from Shinola but they do carry them at Nordstrom so you can go look at them and see if you like them.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Quote Originally Posted by birchyboy View Post
    I like watches, but not to the extent of Gramps!

my favorite is my Movado, a wedding present from my wife. My other watches are Citizens, Seiko's and an Orvis.
    Those are some nice pieces! I have never been a Movado guy but they have some nice designs.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

I would love one of these, but would feel rather strange wearing a house on my wrist...
    http://www.cabestan.ch/pages.php?pag...at=description

http://www.mbandf.com/machines/horol...erbolt/#/intro
    Respect and truth trump all!
    I don't get lost. I explore.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

I used to have quite a collection of watches but as I got older, I just wasn't really into them anymore. I now own two Bulova's with lots of bling, a Gucci and a Timex sportswatch with a HRM... now that's sexy

Wow, nice collection Gramps

I got huge into collecting watches for a while there, but like Black Knight I bought a bunch of Invicta's at first; must have at least 7 of those ranging from classy, to huge faces, to totally see through. Also got a few Swiss Army watches too. I had always wanted a true "Swiss" watch, so saved up and got me my Tag Heurer Formula One that has become my #1:

I'd like to get a Omega or another tag next! I got a buddy who has a impressive collection of all the expensive watch makers that I just droll over.

I always have people ask me why I spend my money on watches and figure it is the only jewlery I wear as a man, so I may as well. Plus the high end "Swiss" watch tend to hold their value well. Pretty amazing how Japanese watches are catching up though. I also like how Citizen watches are solar powered and all the crazy features they have

My wife bought me this Invicta and is one of my favorites and the one that gets the most attention:

Back is see through as well: http://www.timepiecetrading.com/medi.../0/10241-c.jpg
    Last edited by bulldog; Mon Jan 19th, 2015 at 07:49 AM.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Here's the list:

Model Name - Model #
    Invicta Subaqua Noma I - 17681(Reserve 487 of 500)
    Invicta Excursion - 16679(Reserve)
    Invicta Specialty - 14878
    Invicta I Force - 3329
    Invicta Pro Diver(Stinger) - 15423
    Invicta Scuba - 15081

"these next three came as a Ocean Ghost set"
    Invicta Pro Diver(Ocean Ghost) - 15189
    Invicta Pro Diver(Ocean Ghost) - 15169
    Invicta Pro Diver(Ocean Ghost) - 15191

Invicta Grand Diver - 14544
    Invicta Grand Diver - 12566

Invicta Pro Diver - 8926OB(have two of these, one is for dress, the other has become my work watch)
    Invicta Pro Diver - 8932(former work watch)
    Invicta Pro Diver - 8929OB
    Invicta Pro Diver - 8930OB
    Invicta Pro Diver - 9404A
    Invicta Pro Diver - 8935A
    Invicta Pro Diver - 8937A

2 Benrus watches that are old, one my dad gave me years ago.
    1 Relic dive watch, that was my first watch I purchased at 17.

As you can see, I hold onto watches very well. Probably moreso than Firearms.

I've also done an experiment with two Invicta watches. All over the watch world, you'll find varying opinions on Invicta. Some good, and some not so good. Well I decided to put their watches to the test. My line of work has me in varying conditions. From 100 degree Summer heat, to negative degree Winter conditions(all outside). I work in a Construction, Maintenance and Landscaping which includes Irrigation work. I'm always getting dirty at work. Whether it be fixing typical irrigation heads, to digging up valves and doing mainline repair. Basically I see it all in my line of work. One day I can see clean conditions, the next I'm cover in saw dust from cutting down dead trees and chipping them up. One day I'll spread soil amendments and fertilizers(which are very dusty) to being in a hole I can't see out of fixing a mainline break in muddy water. Others days I'm toiling away working on equipment and busting my knuckles.

The point of all this is I wanted to see how an Invicta watch would hold up to all of this. So I decided to start with a cheaper Invicta with a quart movement. I had a crappy Armitron digital watch that I snagged at Wal-Mart that scratched up so bad I couldn't see it anymore. So I figured with a flame fusion crystal, I wanted to see if an Invicta could withstand the abuse I would put it through. I punished this watch, threw everything at it but the kitchen sink. I would purposely leave it submerged in water while working on a irrigation valve or mainline. I didn't care if I ran it down the side of a brick wall. From the darkest of muddy waters to the dustiest of conditions this watch just laughed at what I had to throw at it. So I figured lets see how it would hold up to working around equipment/machines. I purposely again slammed the watch into the sides of engine blocks, got it snagged on engine parts while trying to fish out wrenches I'd dropped. Again, the watch didn't care.

Now I will say, the stainless steel case and bracelet are rashed. Really rashed up badly but still looks good. Has that, "been through hell and back" look to it.

So whereas a $19 Wal-Mart Armitron got the sh*t kicked out of it in less than one months time. This $48 stainless steel Invicta that I found on Amazon, has taken the abuse I've thrown at it and has come back asking for more. The watch in question is the Invicta 8932 in 38mm. Talk about a stalwart little watch that won't be denied a beating, yet still keeps looking strong. I even took the watch apart to see what the internals looked like. Perfection inside, clean and dry. It has a japanese quartz movement that is precise and works well.

I've since retired the little watch and decided to move onto to something with a little more hair on it so to speak. I'm now throwing the classic 8926OB through the gauntlet. I wanted to see how an "automatic movement" would handle what I do. So far, it's taken a beating just like it's little brother and keeps asking for more. The automatic winds well do to all my movements. Only thing I've noticed is it can start to run fast over a few weeks time.

All in all, people can say as they please about Invicta. I've put two through a much rougher life that most people will even think of for their watches. Would I do this kind of abuse to an Omega or Rolex?? Probably not, but maybe one day if I have the disposable income I might see if I can punish an Omega or Rolex just to see how well they would stand up.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Nice write up; I always like true reviews from people that have put them through the test themselves

To add to Invicta I did have one of their watches break on me; the pin just pulled out. Invicta honored their warranty and fixed it; took a couple of months, but they did fix it at no cost (I may have had to pay for shipping but can’t remember). I have had a few people make comments on my Invicta watches and how they are cheap, but I wore one for at least two years straight and had no problems with it other than needing a new battery…kept time perfect and was one of their cheap “Swiss movement” model too. People not into watches have commented on my Invicta’s more than my Tag numerous times and even had people stop me to ask where I got it from. I always look at Rolex and think how boring they look and it is a lot the name (and of course the craftsmanship), but Rolex has never put out a watch that was different than what they have been doing for many years…..I guess that is why I chose Tag over a Rolex.

I got a lot of “hate” on my Invicta watches, but to I feel they are great watches for someone who does not want to spend $1K+ on a watch…..plus makes the guy with not a lot of money able to get a collection going pretty fast as affordable and so many styles.

I did get into a talk with a watchbuilder and asked him about Invicta. He claims it is hit or miss because Invicta tends to buy closeout watches and take their internals and make a new design for them. So he claimed some are great because they fit well into the case, but others can have issues since it is basically internals that Invicta bought. Although their “Reserve” series are their top of the line and the ones they put their time and craftsmanship into, so those are true Invicta watches.

Nice list!

Interesting write up on your testing. Good to know.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    I used to have quite a collection of watches but as I got older, I just wasn't really into them anymore. I now own two Bulova's with lots of bling, a Gucci and a Timex sportswatch with a HRM... now that's sexy
    Why am I not surprised you have watches with Bling
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Nice write up; I always like true reviews from people that have put them through the test themselves

To add to Invicta I did have one of their watches break on me; the pin just pulled out. Invicta honored their warranty and fixed it; took a couple of months, but they did fix it at no cost (I may have had to pay for shipping but can’t remember). I have had a few people make comments on my Invicta watches and how they are cheap, but I wore one for at least two years straight and had no problems with it other than needing a new battery…kept time perfect and was one of their cheap “Swiss movement” model too. People not into watches have commented on my Invicta’s more than my Tag numerous times and even had people stop me to ask where I got it from. I always look at Rolex and think how boring they look and it is a lot the name (and of course the craftsmanship), but Rolex has never put out a watch that was different than what they have been doing for many years…..I guess that is why I chose Tag over a Rolex.

I got a lot of “hate” on my Invicta watches, but to I feel they are great watches for someone who does not want to spend $1K+ on a watch…..plus makes the guy with not a lot of money able to get a collection going pretty fast as affordable and so many styles.

I did get into a talk with a watchbuilder and asked him about Invicta. He claims it is hit or miss because Invicta tends to buy closeout watches and take their internals and make a new design for them. So he claimed some are great because they fit well into the case, but others can have issues since it is basically internals that Invicta bought. Although their “Reserve” series are their top of the line and the ones they put their time and craftsmanship into, so those are true Invicta watches.
    Thanks, I always do my best and give a truthful account of what I've done. One other thing I wanted to add is that the crystals of both watches, especially the 8932 are just as clear as the day I purchased them, with the slight deep scratch at the top between the 12 and 1 on the bezel. Also to clarify that most of Invicta's lower end come with the Mineral Crystal as opposed to Sapphire. They are starting to do more Flame Fusion which is a combination of both on many of their timepieces. The blending of both gives the strength of mineral and the unscratchability of sapphire. My 8932 has the mineral crystal and I honestly can't believe the results. The 8932 does have very miniscule pitting but you have to hold it in a lamp just right to see it. Nothing that affects the clarity of the crystal.

I agree with you on Rolex. However, I give Rolex their due because of what they are. They are a company that has been doing this for a very long time and have established a very quality reputation. One day I'll have a Submariner. It's just hard now because of how I am with nice things. I'm extra cautious of stuff that is super nice and take great care with it. I know being on my wrist a Rolex would be taken care of(as I'd only wear it for dress). However, it's like a Ferrari. I'd love to own one, just wouldn't want to live with owning one. I freak out now with my all black Camaro, I park way out at places. Always next to an island so I can suck the car up next to the curb. People just don't give a rats ass about what you drive and slam their doors into your car. Which is why I mainly drive my old Chevy truck. It's got a four inch lift, huge 35's and rhino lined from half the door down all the way around. I don't care if someone slams their door into that truck, it's only going to hurt their vehicle and not mine.

But back to watches, it's why I haven't pulled the trigger on a Omega or Rolex yet. Just not sure what might happen to one once I do own it.

I'm also a less is more kind of guy. I like to see what a watch of a lesser brand and cost can do. Which is why I did the work experiment with the Invicta's. I would have no reservations about recommending an Invicta to someone based on the rigidity I've experienced. The fact that it did "take a licking and keep on ticking" means a lot to me and lets me know I spent money wisely.

I wouldn't let people hating on your watches worry you man. A true enthusiast will appreciate what you have and honestly show respect towards you. Just as you should show respect for their collection. I've talked to people with Rolex's that can't believe the torture test I put my Invicta's through and are impressed. I've also seen comments from Rolex owners, that if it ain't a Rolex it ain't sh*t types. Takes all kinds to make the world go round. I prefer to be honest and respectful towards others.

It's like motorcycles. I'm an enthusiast and I love all kinds of two wheel machines. From Suzuki to Harley, yes that's right I said it. I like Harley's and honestly my 1200 Sportster that I owned was one of the most fun bikes to commute to work and ride in the mountains that I've ever been on. It was comfortable and ran great. I loved the V-twin rumble the screamin eagles gave off. I'd also love to own a Fat Boy one of these days maybe. It's because I'm an enthusiast. I'm a motorcyclist and not a biker. Bikers, I have no use for, you know the type. Fat, stupid and believe that there's no life past Harley.

You find these types of people in all facets of life. Over on the Camaro5 Forum I'm on, us V6 Camaro owners get dumped on for not being true American Muscle car owners. Once I inform them that I didn't buy the car for the motor and that I also ride a GSX-R1000, most of them shut up quickly. Fast cars don't impress me, I've told them. Also that once you've been on something that's really fast(i.e. a sportbike) then you'll understand what I'm talking about. Most of them rant about how I don't know what real motorcycles are about(they're also Harley owners). I don't let the opinions of others influence me, if I did I guess I'd be living a really crappy life...
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

All great conversations.

I have kind of matured as a watch owner I guess. I try to buy pieces that the movement and the body/design element are one manufacturer. It is hard now because most watch manufacturers are really just design houses. They make a body and fit an ETA movement usually into the housing. Tissot/TAG/Swatch/Movado/etc. They are all just designers that buy the ETA movements. Most Invicta models are ETA movements. Essentially that makes them all very close brothers of each other where it counts.

Rolex/Cartier/Chopard/ and a few others are truly watch manufacturers that produce both the design and the movement.

I'm not a watch snob at all. I enjoy a lot of different types and styles of watches and I like your analogy with bikes. I also can appreciate what a Harley does and does not do well. Each person chooses their watch and ride for their own reasons and who are we to form an opinion on their choices.

Thanks for posting guys! It is interesting to see what people have chosen.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Resurrection time!!!

So this one had me thinking the other day while cleaning my work watch off. I thought, "yeah I need to give an update on my current Invicta that is used as my workhorse."

Well here it is.

It in all it's wondrous beatdown grandeur.

This is my 8926OB Invicta that I use for work. It's seen several concrete pours, repeated submersion into water(both clean and dirty). It's been slammed into, and crushed, been covered over in several hydromulch projects. Been through countless block & timber retaining wall projects. It's been there on through daily skid loader, backhoe and front loader maintenance schedules(i.e. greasing). It's been covered in by concrete, asphalt, block and wood dusts. It was repeatedly rubbed up against a shoring box while I was in a 5ft hole doing a valve replacement. It's lived through jackhammer, lollipops and hammerdrills. Core drilling and VAC truck use. And lastly, it's handled being thrown in nice hot soapy water for cleaning.

The little white marker in the 12 position on the bezel was blown out a long time ago, along with all the scratches the bezel has. The crystal has a nice stress chip in it, not to mention two small cratches. I've had the original bracelet repaired three times(twice by me with parts I had, then by the Tick Tock Shop). Then the bracelet finally grenaded on me altogether. So recently had a new one put on it. The end links don't match but who cares right? Through all this the crystal has remained a stalwart in rigidity other than the stress crack/chip. It's very clear still and I'm shocked the cyclops has stayed on this whole time. Figured at some point I'd run the watch up against something and sheer it off. The color of the face has faded due to constant daily UV bombardment. Which is cool, it happens..

The case of the watch is still good. The exhibition back is still clear, however the sides of the body are rashed bad. Where it is stamped INVICTA on the side there is a nice gouge scratch through the T and the A.

Suffice to say this watch has been through hell and back. Which was the point of my whole trial to put it through. I can without a doubt say that INVICTA make a very nice watch that can hold up to anything a Rolex or Omega will. In fact, it will handle up to more as I don't know anyone that's not insane who would subject a Rolex to what I've subjected my Invicta too. No Invicta's aren't and never will be on the same level as a Rolly. But I'm just amazed at the beating I've handed to this watch and it still lives on.

I also have a Casio G-Shock that took on work duties for me when the Invicta would go down with a bracelet problem. It's held up nicely as well.

Here it is next to it's twin and their older swiss movement brother. I purchased the two twins at the same time, one for good(never worn) and the other sacrificed for work.. The work watch is on the left, its completely brand new never worn twin in the middle and the older 9937 swiss on the right. The 9937 is kind of my go to nicer watch when I don't want to wear one of my more ostentatious watches from Invicta(yeah, I've got a couple 50mm sized ones that are very flashy).

In closing, thought I'd throw this up there for a good 2+ year review. So for anyone having reservations about Invicta, there you go. I've thrown it down the gauntlet and it's kept asking for more...
    Last edited by The Black Knight; Sun Jun 11th, 2017 at 01:44 PM. Reason: typos
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

And just for good measure the rest of the Invicta family..

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

Gold Member

I'm not huge into watches but I have been debating about going old school and getting an old school pocket watch. always enjoyed the looks of them. I really like the see through ones. seeing all the gears that make it tic. lol

Asphalt - Worlds' fastest tattoo remover

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    I'm not huge into watches but I have been debating about going old school and getting an old school pocket watch. always enjoyed the looks of them. I really like the see through ones. seeing all the gears that make it tic. lol
    A old school pocket watch....here you go

JK....I did come across this one that seemed awesome:

http://www.dalvey.com/us/skeletal-wa...FUO2wAodvFcIZg

Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    A old school pocket watch....here you go

JK....I did come across this one that seemed awesome:

http://www.dalvey.com/us/skeletal-wa...FUO2wAodvFcIZg

that was a good one! tell you what man that old Nokia was a damn tank!

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    that was a good one! tell you what man that old Nokia was a damn tank!
    Believe it or not, I really miss those old Nokia phones. Simple, functional and solid construction. None of the frills and extras of today's phones. I remember my brick phone that I had back when it was old school Voicestream. Great phone and that thing could go three weeks on a charge, none of this barely making it through the day on my smartphone stuff.

The old Nokia brick phones and some of the old Nextel construction phones were bulletproof. They could really stand up to the elements.

And of course, who can deny the old Snake game that came on the nokia's
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"