Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did the Police Take this too Far or Suspects fault?

Did the Police Take this too Far or Suspects fault?

This story came out and thought it may be something to talk about...since board is so dead. His wife recorded the incident and has now put it out and puts a different angle on the case.

Video of Arrest and him being tased:

Former UFC heavyweight fighter Dave Herman was hit with a taser during an arrest in Indiana this week ... and now Dave's wife has released the video she shot during the incident in which she calls out the police.

Cops say Herman had been speeding with no headlights or taillights -- and when they tried to pull him over, he led them on a 3 mile chase before finally stopping at a gas station.

During the stop, cops say Herman "approached Officers in an aggressive manner" -- so they fired the taser to take him into custody.

But Herman's wife Madeleine -- who was in the car at the time with their young son -- tells TMZ Sports she's FURIOUS over the incident and claims her husband is the real victim.

Madeleine says Dave was NOT trying to run from cops when they initially tried to pull him over -- they were merely looking for a well lit place to stop.

As for allegations Dave was being aggressive, Madeleine says that's also BS -- explaining, "Dave, not wanting armed strangers walking up behind the vehicle, especially with our infant son in tow, stepped out of the vehicle and asked them if there was something he could help them with."

Madeleine says cops overreacted and violently took her husband to the ground. He's being charged with several criminal counts including resisting arrest and battery against an officer.

Dave is still in custody -- but she's calling for the officers involved in the arrest to be charged with assault.

We reached out to the DeKalb County Sheriff’s Department for comment -- so far, no word back.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2015/01/21/mma-st...#ixzz3QDoFQ1Ve
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Re: Did the Police Take this too Far or Suspects fault?

Should have tazzed the wife.

Quote Originally Posted by koop View Post
    Should have tazzed the wife.
    Really? Seems like a cool wife to me...worked too because with the press she got he was released.

Lots of hate on wives on this site, but I can say my wife is awesome and the best thing I have

This is the first I've heard of the story but according to this

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/1/23...on-i-should-be

He was arrested on a Tuesday, arraigned on Wednesday and released Wed night on bond. Sounds pretty standard to me. I doubt the video had anything to do with it.

Now, as to Mr. and Mrs. Herman. Screw those peckerwoods.

First, where the hell does this "cops have to show you three pieces of ID" BS come from? I did a quick google search and the only places it comes up are reports of his arrest and those nutty "sovereign citizen" websites. I'm guessing he and/or his wife are into that whole white trash, gadsden flag waving, "I don't have to pay taxes because the 16th Amendment is illegal," tree of liberty/blood of patriots, subculture. Screw those guys, they make my head hurt.

Second, the cops are in uniform and in marked cars. What's with demanding ID at all?

The cops were probably trying to pull him over for at least 5-10 minutes. (based on Herman's assertion that the road was dark and he had no headlights I'm assuming he was driving slow) What's the first thing he does when he pulls over? Jumps out of the car (bad decision #1) demands ID (bad decision #2) and then doesn't follow instructions. (bad decision #3).

What's interesting is what he did right before he got tazzed. At 1:27 of the video he has his hands up, his back turned and is continuing to demand ID. He then drops his hands, says "this is bullshit", turns around and takes a step towards the cops. Zap goes the electricity.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

He was arrested on a Tuesday, arraigned on Wednesday and released Wed night on bond. Sounds pretty standard to me. I doubt the video had anything to do with it.

First, where the hell does this "cops have to show you three pieces of ID" BS come from? I did a quick google search and the only places it comes up are reports of his arrest and those nutty "sovereign citizen" websites. I'm guessing he and/or his wife are into that whole white trash, gadsden flag waving, "I don't have to pay taxes because the 16th Amendment is illegal," tree of liberty/blood of patriots, subculture. Screw those guys, they make my head hurt.

Second, the cops are in uniform and in marked cars. What's with demanding ID at all?

The cops were probably trying to pull him over for at least 5-10 minutes. (based on Herman's assertion that the road was dark and he had no headlights I'm assuming he was driving slow) What's the first thing he does when he pulls over? Jumps out of the car (bad decision #1) demands ID (bad decision #2) and then doesn't follow instructions. (bad decision #3).

What's interesting is what he did right before he got tazzed. At 1:27 of the video he has his hands up, his back turned and is continuing to demand ID. He then drops his hands, says "this is bullshit", turns around and takes a step towards the cops. Zap goes the electricity.

Oh man I'd love to see you tell Dave he is a "perckerwood and white trash" in person. Crazy you made that assumption over this small incident

I am not saying what Dave did was right, but I did not think it was necessary to taze him at that point; to me he was not being threatening to the cops; yes he should have stayed in the car. Just seems like cops find any excuse to "be afraid" and use force nowadays when it really is not necessary. He got charged with kicking a cop and I did not see that from the video; Dave is a pro trained fighter so if he kicked a cop mostly likely you would see a cop go down. Then they also charge him for assaulting a officer because they tazed him; claim it is normal procedure, but not sure how a cop tazing you makes it that you assaulted them. Then he also gets charged with "child neglect"....to me sounds like pissed of officers throwing every charge they can at him

Then I think if he had not waited to stop in a well light area then none of this would have been recorded (too dark) and would have been his word against the cops (you hear at end how the officer forgot to turn his camera on)....and we all know how that goes. I feel this video is going to help him and also shows that sometimes it is best to record what goes on.

Also sounds like you are new to the story because Dave's wife has been all over the internet with multiple videos pleading to have her husband released....maybe the video didn't help, but never underestimate the power of the media and the attention it gets. I mean he did get three felonies and one misdemeanor so not sure he would have got out so soon, but I am no expert and maybe he got bailed out.

Wish I could say we can trust ALL officers, but pretty sure all the past incidents have showed this is not always true...sad but some people are very afraid of the police and do not see them the same as others and it seems to be only getting worse now that so much is recorded.

For sure this video is making the rounds and getting different opinions....that is why I posted it...damn forum need some talk.

EDIT: OK I watched 1:27 numerous times. First, look at the cop that tazed him, on Herman's left and not in front of him so there is no way he was stepping towards the cop like you said (pause at 1:28 and you can see the cop fire). Second the cops are screaming "get on your knees" so it appears he was getting on his knees and not stepping forward; either way not towards a officer. Try to get on your knees without stepping forward a little bit...very hard.
    Last edited by bulldog; Thu Jan 29th, 2015 at 10:56 AM.

Gold Member

Well aren't you going to be fun to play with.

First of all your mentality is a big part of why law enforcement is so far out of control. The idea to blindly follow orders will never sit with me.

I have GOD given rights to life. No officer on the face of the planet has the right to violate that. Our constitution ensured that in many different ways.

So I must thank you and your parents for allowing a badge and a gun to repeatedly do as they wish. Not following any laws. And when they do screw up? A person is killed or at the very least assaulted.

There is stories of women having pepper spray sprayed into their... Well lady parts. Handcuffed people shot to death. Handcuffed people beat and kicked.

People horrible assaulted by our so called defenders. The guys I'm supposed to blindly follow. No thank you.

Cops need some serious training in conflict resolution and remember they are not gods. We are not children here for the state or feds to try to protect us from everything.

And just in case you think I'm making this up I'm going to add links. Give me a few.

http://youtu.be/KmldS4yCWmI

http://m.nydailynews.com/news/nation....1529250#bmb=1

http://www.mediate.com/Mobile/article.cfm?id=5143

Where so you draw the line of cooperation?

http://m.nydailynews.com/news/crime/....1390230#bmb=1

I call that one rape.

Hey these guys even got a search warrnet. How did that work out for the tax payers?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/16/justic...ch-settlement/

You might want to call them freaks or white trash or whatever else but truth is they are doing YOU a favor.

The way you live with cooperate you're not even a free person. If you don't exercise your rights they dont exist. Simple as that.

The more rights we give up the dimmer the future. We are already starting to look like Nazi Germany. Look at how well that worked out for the world.

http://www.hermes-press.com/germany1930.htm

Think I'm making this up? Just look at your comment. You flat out said he should have cooperated and none of this would have happened. You are giving the right to cops to pick and chose what laws to follow. What rights to give us when they see it fits.

Why stop there? Why not have a checkpoint every few miles on interstates or at least state borders asking for ID? Why not just give the cops the right to come into your home and search as need be?

Honestly I'm not worried about you or me. I don't think this party is going to crash down until after we are all old. No I think it will be our children and our children's children that will have to pay for our "safety" and "cooperation".
    Last edited by #1Townie; Thu Jan 29th, 2015 at 01:30 PM.

Godwin in 6, excellent.

In my opinion, most cops aren't overusing their "power". These cops were following this guy with no headlights or taillights, driving slowly (granted) with flashers on, and then when he pulls into a gas station he gets out and starts asking for ID. Just imagine being the police officer. "This guy has no headlights or taillights and wont pull over, then when he does, he confronts the officers". They had no idea what could have been in the car, nor his intentions. Just for their safety alone, they need to make sure he doesn't have anything on him, because he was acting like he might have a weapon/or just being suspicious in general.

If he had pulled over when they flashed him, they would have came up, asked why they're going slow with no head/tail lights on and flashers, and been on their way. He took it wayy overboard. Why the fck would he need a "well lit area" unless he was hiding something.. I don't think he was but what he did was just stupid.
    06 GSXR 750

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ph03niX View Post
    In my opinion, most cops aren't overusing their "power". These cops were following this guy with no headlights or taillights, driving slowly (granted) with flashers on, and then when he pulls into a gas station he gets out and starts asking for ID. Just imagine being the police officer. "This guy has no headlights or taillights and wont pull over, then when he does, he confronts the officers". They had no idea what could have been in the car, nor his intentions. Just for their safety alone, they need to make sure he doesn't have anything on him, because he was acting like he might have a weapon/or just being suspicious in general.

If he had pulled over when they flashed him, they would have came up, asked why they're going slow with no head/tail lights on and flashers, and been on their way. He took it wayy overboard. Why the fck would he need a "well lit area" unless he was hiding something.. I don't think he was but what he did was just stupid.
    And again. Comply or die.

Sorry just have to add this in there. The cops with guns. Body armor. Pepper spray. Tazers. Yes they were in danger. From this guy who according to you was acting like he had a weapon?

Come on. Shooting before seeing the weapon is supposed to be against the law. Also I like how you can be charged with resisting something that hasn't even been declared. Not once did I hear those cops say he's under arrest.

So basically here's what happened. The coos could have dealt with this like adults and used a little respect. Used techniques to calm the situation instead of escalating it. The whole night could have been very different if the coos would have used a little more discretion.

But Nope. Do as I say or you're going down. Its funny how us ordinary citizens can do jobs like repo and know how to deal with people better than a "peace officer". Lol. Peace officer. That's just comical.
    Last edited by #1Townie; Thu Jan 29th, 2015 at 08:25 PM.

Gold Member

Godwin in 6, excellent.
    Well aren't you just full of inspiration.

No comment to what's the point of having rights if you don't exercise them?

Koop is funny; comes in all hard then gets all scared to back up his opinion. Don't be scared man and exercise your rights you talk about; it is what a forum is for. I don't take it serious just mainly looking for some action on this forum....so speak up man!

I don't think anything Townie said was not backed up so to just say "goldwin" just shows me you really have little to come back with. I watched your 1:27 minute comment and was hoping you replied too.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ph03niX View Post

I think the "headlight" issue has been taken out of context. In her interview (and others I have seen) it states they were having car trouble and had their hazard lights on (that were still functioning). So it appears as if the reason the headlights were out is because of their car trouble. It also sounds like they were on a road with not much around so as a father I am sure he was concerned to stop in the middle of nowhere stranded with a baby (you never know at that point if yo shut the vehicle off if it will restart). Plus cops state they tried to pull him over for going fast....yet why would someone put their hazards on if they are going to drive fast with their wife and infant in car....just doesn't make sense to me. His wife didn't seem like a loser so I would think if Dave was doing this putting their life in danger she would have been happy the cops came, but her story backs up Dave's and says they were not speeding and simply had alternator problems and were driving with hazards on to get to a gas station. Also be aware this happened at 1am so how many fathers would just pull over on a deserted road with their infant...don't think I would and would also drive to nearest place....yes Dave was tested for drugs and alcohol and he was sober.

Again, he made some bad decisions on his part like getting out of his car when stopped, but I agree with Townie and amazes me two cops in body armor, guns, tazers, backup on way, batons, pepper spray, etc are so afraid of a man in shorts with no weapon present. Did cops think they were getting into this job and not going to encounter these issues; no, they all knew what they were getting into. Their job has always been to protect the community, yet it seems like it has turned into "protect the cop " because cops suddenly became too scared to properly do their job and resort to the worst situation many times. I do feel they should try to fix a situation without force and pretty sure that is how they are trained.

If officers should be "afraid" and use extreme force, then should others jobs allow this. I think of a towtruck driver (like Townie) and think that has to be a dangerous job; fools all mad you are taking their car. Should he just always whip out his gun right away or does it makes more sense to show some id and documents. I bet he gets further being polite and showing them he is legit rather than arguing and escalating the situation (heck I think he posted he does not even carry).....exactly how I feel on this. Cops could have dealt with it better, but I feel they were pissed he did not pull over right away and got "hotheaded".

And if we do not think cops shooting people is not becoming frequent I have to ask if you watched the Denver news yesterday. A teenager girls was shot to death when multiple officers fired into her car. Again she may have not made the best decisions (cop claims he tried to hit her with the car), but damn did she have to be shot multiple times killing her; she was 17 and we all made some dumb decisions at that age. So another one being investigated right here in our hometown
    http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_27...g-unarmed-teen
    Last edited by bulldog; Fri Jan 30th, 2015 at 08:02 AM.

Gold Member

Correct. Never carried on a repo. Used respect to get my job done.

Had one drugged out woman hit me and jump on the hood and go all crazy. I never responded with force. Why? Because it wasn't needed. She didn't hit very hard and I was having a hard time not laughing at her.

There is a saying. If you carry it you might be tempted to use it. I have no.. AND I MEAN ZERO respect for guys who do repo and carry a gun.

You know what you are signing up for. You should learn how to deal with your job without using violence. I understand cops have to go beyond that andbuse it but I can show countless videos where cops do it just because they can. Countless videos where all the cop had to do was show a little respect and just hear a person out. But nope. TAZER TAZER TAZER!!

Oh and how do they deal with out of line kids? Let's just see.

http://youtu.be/enPjQYPwnHI
    Last edited by #1Townie; Fri Jan 30th, 2015 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    Correct. Never carried on a repo. Used respect to get my job done.

Had one drugged out woman hit me and jump on the hood and go all crazy. I never responded with force. Why? Because it wasn't needed. She didn't hit very hard and I was having a hard time not laughing at her.

There is a saying. If you carry it you might be tempted to use it. I have no.. AND I MEAN ZERO respect for guys who do repo and carry a gun.

You know what you are signing up for. You should learn how to deal with your job without using violence. I understand cops have to go beyond that andbuse it but I can show countless videos where cops do it just because they can. Countless videos where all the cop had to do was show a little respect and just hear a person out. But nope. TAZER TAZER TAZER!!

Oh and how do they deal with out of line kids? Let's just see.

http://youtu.be/enPjQYPwnHI
    Seems the smart way to deal with it. You pull a gun and most people will have one too so then you get a standoff and that rarely ends well. Why resort to that when there are others ways.....wish all cops saw it this way

Wow, I think that cop broke that kids are on purpose. Appears that kid had stopped taking some mental issue medicine and that is why he was acting that way; which to me was just sitting there and no way needed to go that far. Should have brought a counselor out to talk to him rather than officers to use force....

Read through a couple of these threads and I'm struck by a weird thought...
    Crime in general has actually decreased by a good margin from its high in the 90s but, the escalation of force from law enforcement is still on the upswing... Or are we just more aware of it via the media push.

Gold Member

Oh standoff you say? One second and I will show you the difference between armed protest and not armed protests.

Unarmed.
    http://youtu.be/6AdDLhPwpp4

Armed. Not one shot fired. Not one fist thrown. No tesr gas. No tazers. Nothing. Just and end to the situation.

http://youtu.be/a_XqdQjTflc

And Nolan you bring up a great point. Many crimes are down and yet the police become more hostile and more afraid everyday.

But hey cops don't have to follow the constitution. Lol

http://youtu.be/MVrzABC4Nqs

I can keep this up all day.
    http://youtu.be/jqhefrPzCnY
    Last edited by #1Townie; Fri Jan 30th, 2015 at 09:46 AM.

My two cents is that the cops probably could have avoided using the taser, but the citizen is not supposed to step out of the car until asked to do so. So I sympathize with both.

"Three forms of ID" - I've never heard that one.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by lth View Post
    My two cents is that the cops probably could have avoided using the taser, but the citizen is not supposed to step out of the car until asked to do so. So I sympathize with both.

"Three forms of ID" - I've never heard that one.
    Yeah the three forms is a bit far but try to understand that she just watched her husband get taxed and there was probably a bit of adrenaline running.

The pros in this situation are the cops. Its up to them to make sure the situation is handled correctly. Not the driver of the car. But with that said its not like he's screaming at them or freaking out. He may have asked some strange questions but an officer is required to identify himself.

That's kind of the point. If the cops had just used some conflict resolution they would have never taxed anyone. They wouldn't have arrested anyone. It would have been a much different night. And video. Lol.

Not running from an argument, nothing to argue. Life is hard, it's harder when you're stupid. Herman wasn't "exercising his rights" he has no right to refuse to comply until the cops jump through his hoops. Three forms of ID, gimme a break.

Past three years I've gotten pulled over 4x. 3 for speeding including a 6 pointer in GG and one passing on a double yellow in GG. Got one warning and knocked the other three down to 2 point mechanicals. You know why? Because I'm not an asshole. Because I don't harbor black helicopter delusions, don't think Cliven Bundy is an American hero, don't carry long guns into Applebees, don't take legal advice from websites run by felons and I never, ever, tell a cop "I know my rights" which roughly translates into copspeak as "why yes officer, I would like to see your new booking room."

Herman wasn't striking a blow for freedom, he was being an asshole, so he got to ride the lightning. A hard head makes for a soft ass.

Best comparison I can think of here is when you hear about someone on a bike who road rages against a car. You might be right...but your still going to lose.

Dude acted like a douche and got the wood put to him. Seems about right to me.
    Owner and General Manager - Fun Center Cycles in Durango, CO

11 BMW S1000RR - Street - Lady on the street
    13 Kawi ZX6R - Track - Freak in the bed
    13 Triumph Daytona 675R - Wifes bike

2014 MRA 400 Production Class Champion

Not running from an argument, nothing to argue. Life is hard, it's harder when you're stupid. Herman wasn't "exercising his rights" he has no right to refuse to comply until the cops jump through his hoops. Three forms of ID, gimme a break.

Past three years I've gotten pulled over 4x. 3 for speeding including a 6 pointer in GG and one passing on a double yellow in GG. Got one warning and knocked the other three down to 2 point mechanicals. You know why? Because I'm not an asshole. Because I don't harbor black helicopter delusions, don't think Cliven Bundy is an American hero, don't carry long guns into Applebees, don't take legal advice from websites run by felons and I never, ever, tell a cop "I know my rights" which roughly translates into copspeak as "why yes officer, I would like to see your new booking room."

Herman wasn't striking a blow for freedom, he was being an asshole, so he got to ride the lightning. A hard head makes for a soft ass.
    Dang so first Dave was a perkerwood, then white trash, and now stupid! Do you personally know this guy or what? I've followed Dave since he started his career and I can tell you he has a college degree from Indiana University, a very successful career, tons of money, a wife and kid, and is known to be a good guy, so sounds like he is doing pretty well to me. Something tells me you being so much "smarter" has not accomplished what he has....but that is right, he is stupid.

Nobody is saying the Dave acting correctly, but being the professional officers their use of force is what is questioned.

Consider yourself lucky you have not had bad run ins with the cops...yet. All fun and games till it happens to you!

A. Peckerwood, white trash and stupid are pretty much interchangeable in my lexicon.

B. No I don't know him. We aren't friends, not on a first name basis and I don't have a mancrush on him.

C. Actually, I am speaking from experience. Back when I was in my 20's I was dumb white trash and thought I knew more than I did. The cops wanted to search my Torino and I told them "you can't do that, I know my rights" and I got kicked in the nuts and got to see the new booking room. I was stupid then and your buddy is stupid now.
    Last edited by koop; Fri Jan 30th, 2015 at 10:33 AM.

A. Peckerwood, white trash and stupid are pretty much interchangeable in my lexicon.

B. No I don't know him. We aren't friends, not on a first name basis and I don't have a mancrush on him.

C. Actually, I am speaking from experience. Back when I was in my 20's I was dumb white trash and thought I knew more than I did. The cops wanted to search my Torino and I told them "you can't do that, I know my rights" and I got kicked in the nuts and got to see the new booking room. I was in the stupid then and your buddy is stupid now.
    Well making assumption about someone you do not know seems pretty harsh for a guy that claims he is not a "asshole".

So now you just do everything the cops tell you? if so that is why so many rights get violated because people like you do not stand up for themselves. Of course you have a right to not let a cop search your car, but in your case I am sure they had "probably cause" that allowed them. Again use allowing them to make that decision of "probable cause" is wha officers use as a excuse over and over. So let me ask you was their probably cause they found or did you just not know your rights?

The Fourth Amendment's protection against unlawful search and seizure generally makes arbitrary police car searches illegal. If the police search your car without a warrant, your permission, or a valid reason, they are violating your constitutional rights

This demand of the LEOs to show 3 forms of ID, never heard of it before. Everything that follows is a result of the Herman's dictating that. Anyone have legal statutes supporting this?

So many decisions that caused this to escalate into an unhappy ending.

He certainly had the right to travel to a well lit area if he was clearly not trying to evade, which it doesn't sound like he was. But that generally gets to police a little on edge. She should have called 911 and attempted to notify them she was in the car and they were driving to a lit place. Should of would of could of.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

It was a bad stop. I was a long haired white boy with an old beater car driving late at night in a bad neighborhood (mine) but the cop stopped me about half a mile over the city line, out of his jurisdiction. Profiling. The back up cop from the neighboring jurisdiction backed my story and the case got thrown out.

So yeah, now I do what the cops say, take my ticket and fight it in court. You want to strike a blow for freedom and squabble with the cops, knock yourself out. I'll be the freedom hating pussy going home that night.