Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tires...

Tires...

So the Ducati will need new rubber soon, been out of the scene ownership wise about 3 years and wondering what new tires are out there that are good? On the R1 all I used were the single compound Michelin Pilot Powers as they gripped well and they also lasted me a very good chunk of mileage (6k+). What's new in the market that people recommend? I'm looking for longevity but also not compromise on grip as I'll be riding on cold (anything above 20 degrees) and rainy days as well. Honestly never liked Dunlop as far as the Q2 went but anything newer and better from them? Their track tires are amazing though (had a set of D212 GP tires on the race bike and they did phenomenal). Any help and input is much appreciated
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Senior Member Moderator

Re: Tires...

I'm a generation behind when it comes to tires, but I thoroughly enjoyed the Michelin Pilot Road 3s I last had. On the street I never ran into a situation where I lacked confidence with them, they wear well, and perform great in adverse riding conditions. The PR4s are purported to be even better. Granted, I was only on an SV650, which has nothing like the power at your disposal on a 1098, so if you're looking for something grippier than that, I'd be at a complete loss regarding what to suggest. Honestly, I just want pics of the bike, and your thoughts about it so far. I mean, it's your first street bike (that you own afaik) since your R1, don't leave us hanging, Damir!

You picked up the streetfighter??

Damir, what happened to your build? Sounded like it was almost complete .

Quote Originally Posted by Drano View Post
    I'm a generation behind when it comes to tires, but I thoroughly enjoyed the Michelin Pilot Road 3s I last had. On the street I never ran into a situation where I lacked confidence with them, they wear well, and perform great in adverse riding conditions. The PR4s are purported to be even better. Granted, I was only on an SV650, which has nothing like the power at your disposal on a 1098, so if you're looking for something grippier than that, I'd be at a complete loss regarding what to suggest. Honestly, I just want pics of the bike, and your thoughts about it so far. I mean, it's your first street bike (that you own afaik) since your R1, don't leave us hanging, Damir!
    I'll look into the PR4's, some of the people that I know that ride as much as I do kind of hated the PR3's cause their longevity wasn't as expected and I know they're as meticulous as I am with their bikes so they kept up with tire pressures religiously just like I do. I've ridden her a few times now and she's a blast to ride for sure, the power, looks and sound is amazing but can't wait to really do some long distance riding as I always wanted to. She'll be home very soon, I'll keep you guys posted

Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
    You picked up the streetfighter??

Just about dude, working on the last few details with the seller and I should have her by the 1st week of April but hopefully sooner hehehe, I'll let you take her for a spin when I get her... and hey what are you doing for the kickoff at Qatar next weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by mdub View Post
    Damir, what happened to your build? Sounded like it was almost complete .
    The build was complete Mitch, did 4 track days and 2 super street races last year and man she did amazing, just my priorities are another right now instead of racing (buying a house, vacation which I haven't had one since I started working at 15 and other things), so sold the bike to a fellow racer so she'll be in great hands instead of sitting in the garage collecting dust since I can't justify dropping that kind of money into racing without having a house and establishing myself in my life first my friend. Hopefully down the line I'll be able to buy a race bike again and what not but for now just have to get a street bike to keep my sanity
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Nice dude! makes me want a street bike. I know the Bridgestones have been good to me on the track. You want me to call up Madmoto and ask about what kind of deals they have on street tires? I've been in there like every other day lately

I haven't planned anything for Qatar. I need to look up what time it airs. Lets drink beer and watch! Edit: nice, it's at noon next sunday

I too have a question on tires. I have the single compound Michelin Pilot Power and the rear center is wearing out pretty well as I have a long ride to get to the hills. Currently I am at 5500 mileage on them and there is probably 1000-2000 more left. But the front looks great but I dont know if it will last another 7000 miles or so. I am wondering if just buying a new rear Michelin would be the right thing to do (if it will last as long as needed until I need to replace both the front and rear togeth3er) or just swap out right now. Motomummy has a special on the Dunlop Q3 alot of people get wet over them and there is a $50 rebate on them so the shipped price is $175 for the size I need for both front and rear. Any suggestions?
    2005 Suzuki SV650s Blue (SOLD), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636 Lime Green

Personally, I don't like to mix and match. If your Pilot Power front isn't too old, I'd buy another PP rear. I had those same tires on an R6 and the wear was the same as you're describing. It'd do about 2 rears to 1 front.

However, I also don't like to use tires that are more than 2-3 years old. Look at the date on the tire. It should be 4 digits which read like this : "built in the 30th week of 2012" aka : 3012

Personally, I don't like to mix and match. If your Pilot Power front isn't too old, I'd buy another PP rear. I had those same tires on an R6 and the wear was the same as you're describing. It'd do about 2 rears to 1 front.

However, I also don't like to use tires that are more than 2-3 years old. Look at the date on the tire. It should be 4 digits which read like this : "built in the 30th week of 2012" aka : 3012
    The tires both say 3013 so the 30th week of 2013. I have 5500 miles on both the front and the rear. I wouldnt be doing a mixed set, I mean either I can buy a rear PP and hope that the front will last until the replacement rear eventually runs out. Or just buy a whole brand new set and make them Dunlop Q3 since there is a special on them.

I think a rear PP will run around $120 plus install and a set of Dunlop Q3 is $175 for the set. I just feel back if I'm wasting off the front PP if there is still plenty of life. I also hear that the Q3 does not wear/last as long as a PP does. I'm really surprised that these PP might make it to 7000 miles or more.

I was surprised with the life of the PP as well.

For an extra $50, I'd say just get the new set. You could end up wasting a little bit on the PP rear in the future, or just get rid of the front now with some life left. Either way it could be about the same.

You may also find someone that wants the PP front for 10 bucks and a 6 pack of beer too, you never know

Nice dude! makes me want a street bike. I know the Bridgestones have been good to me on the track. You want me to call up Madmoto and ask about what kind of deals they have on street tires? I've been in there like every other day lately

I haven't planned anything for Qatar. I need to look up what time it airs. Lets drink beer and watch! Edit: nice, it's at noon next sunday
    Wow they moved the race an hour earlier this year, last couple years it has been at 1 pm. I'm down for whatever, should be a great race man, we'll see if Ducati is up to par after all or bust. I was going to go through Fay Myers since I get employee pricing there and what not, I'd like to get a single sided swing arm soon and do my own tires like I always did with all my Japanese bikes, saves me a ton of money lol but if you happen to drop by there feel free to ask, wouldn't hurt lol

120/70ZR17 - 190/55ZR17

Quote Originally Posted by UHATEIT View Post
    I too have a question on tires. I have the single compound Michelin Pilot Power and the rear center is wearing out pretty well as I have a long ride to get to the hills. Currently I am at 5500 mileage on them and there is probably 1000-2000 more left. But the front looks great but I dont know if it will last another 7000 miles or so. I am wondering if just buying a new rear Michelin would be the right thing to do (if it will last as long as needed until I need to replace both the front and rear togeth3er) or just swap out right now. Motomummy has a special on the Dunlop Q3 alot of people get wet over them and there is a $50 rebate on them so the shipped price is $175 for the size I need for both front and rear. Any suggestions?
    Like Joe mentioned, don't mix and match. Oddly enough on all my bikes I managed to get a set of tires to go on even mileage so they both needed replacement at the same time. Also what you can do is switch them both to the Q3 and sell the front tire or keep it for an extra in case of a flat. I only rode once with a set of mismatched tires cause I was broke but man never again lol
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

I replaced the OEM Dunlops on my new VFR with PR4's and they've been doing great. I managed to get to zero strips on the rear in the first 100 miles, and I touched a foot peg feeler for the first time ever with the PR4's on. Also, Brian has them on his Busa, and loves them...and I assume you know how fast he rides. So far on other forums, I have yet to hear any negative comments about the PR4 (where some had problems with life and front tire feel on the PR3).

On a side note, I hope you can finally make it on a Bishop's ride this year!
    --Dave
    2013 Honda VFR 1200F
    2014 Honda VFR800-SOLD
    2007 Honda VFR800-SOLD

2004 Kawasaki KLX300R

I was surprised with the life of the PP as well.

For an extra $50, I'd say just get the new set. You could end up wasting a little bit on the PP rear in the future, or just get rid of the front now with some life left. Either way it could be about the same.

You may also find someone that wants the PP front for 10 bucks and a 6 pack of beer too, you never know
    My plan was to buy a set of Q3 for $175 and save them for a bit, since the special ends at the end of April so I have to buy before then, and then ride around as long as I can until my current PP rear was done for and then do the swap since the PP probably has at least 1000-2000 left or so in the middle, the sides have plenty left but its the commuting to and from the mountains that kills the tires, plus my wife likes to ride on the bakc with me ocassionally so that doesnt help the rear wear. It does make sense that the best option is probably to spend $175 on a full set of Q3 rather than $120 for just the rear PP and then just have an all new set. If I do that I will need to look into what place here has the cheapest prices for installation!

Quote Originally Posted by DriverDave View Post
    I replaced the OEM Dunlops on my new VFR with PR4's and they've been doing great. I managed to get to zero strips on the rear in the first 100 miles, and I touched a foot peg feeler for the first time ever with the PR4's on. Also, Brian has them on his Busa, and loves them...and I assume you know how fast he rides. So far on other forums, I have yet to hear any negative comments about the PR4 (where some had problems with life and front tire feel on the PR3).

Nutz is nuts alright haha, thanks for the input Dave. I know you guys put a lot of mileage and ride spirited as well I do. Been reading a lot of good reviews on the PR4's and by far they're the 1st on the list
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Quote Originally Posted by DriverDave View Post

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    Nutz is nuts alright haha, thanks for the input Dave. I know you guys put a lot of mileage and ride spirited as well I do. Been reading a lot of good reviews on the PR4's and by far they're the 1st on the list
    +1 on the PR4. Jim @ TFOG put a set on my TripleR. I put a couple of thousand miles on them since last September and they aren't even half worn; granted the TripleR is a light bike. They grip in all kinds of roads and I've scuffed the rears to the edges with confidence.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Hey meow! Not sure what this nuts stuff is about... But yeah the PR4's are where it's at. I've seen in the neighborhood of 10k on a set before. Go see Jim, he'll hook you up.
    Contact me for all yourAmsoil needs. 720-515-0963
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/007/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.png[/IMG]
    2011 Suzuki Hayabusa Present
    2006 Suzuki Hayabusa Present
    2005 Suzuki Hayabusa Sold
    2004 Suzuki SV650 Sold

I used to push about almost 8k out of the single compound P.P. Hey Jim just for shits and giggles, what would you quote on a set of PR4's installed on a 2010 Ducati Street fighter?
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

I used to push about almost 8k out of the single compound P.P. Hey Jim just for shits and giggles, what would you quote on a set of PR4's installed on a 2010 Ducati Street fighter?
    120/70/17 and 190/55/17?

$421.04 installed on the bike with all taxes. I think I have them in stock, but I can check in the morning.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Another +1 for PR4.

Last year I switched the the PR4 and love them. On the PR2 I would get 3000 miles from a set and with the PR4 that was increased to 4000.

Grip and handling is great, you can still put a knee down no problem. The PR2 wore evenly so I would replace the set but with the PR4 it looks like I'll get 2 rears for every front. This was the case for both the fz1 and FJR.

On another note... Going to look at (buy?) a MTS next week
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Im on PR4's just got them, while to be honest i have not use them in the twisties yet they have done really well in the cold around my area in the AM
    ill have to wait and see what happens when i actually do a turn. sigh my ride to work is flat flat flat

I was on PR2's and i kinda am horrible with the Air pressure and killed the tire early for the front but still got 7 k out of them
    Last edited by AOK303; Sat Mar 21st, 2015 at 01:20 AM.
    No tickets YET this year *Knock on wood*

07 Audi S4 DTM
    06 CBR 1000rr

LETS RIDE DAMIR!!!
    No tickets YET this year *Knock on wood*

07 Audi S4 DTM
    06 CBR 1000rr

You need some twistie in your life son haha
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    120/70/17 and 190/55/17?

$421.04 installed on the bike with all taxes. I think I have them in stock, but I can check in the morning.
    I have fronts, the rear should be back in midweek.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Thanks Jim!
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1