Thread: 2 days in the LA area early May

2 days in the LA area early May

I have a work trip May 11th - 15th in LA so I am staying the weekend until Sunday 8:00 PM. I found a few bike rental places and plan on getting something for 2 days - Friday early afternoon - Sunday afternoon.

I have always wanted to drive up the PCH to Monterey and maybe over into Sequoia, Death Valley, Yosemite, etc.

Any suggestions for a loop from LAX back to LAX?

I can do 400+ miles a day easy.

Re: 2 days in the LA area early May

When we were there earlier in the year, PCH was closed north of Pepperdine to Ventura due to landslides. Google maps seems to show it being open now. In any case, Caltrans has the latest status on their website.

Ok, back to your question. Do you want to go sport touring and see the area, or want to rip up and down the canyons?

You could ride up PCH to Monterey for the weekend. Yosemite and the Sierras *might* be prone to snow in the high elevations. Loved the lower central coast between Malibu and Santa Barbara, north of that it's a lot of dry scrub hills and the sea once you're past Pismo Beach. Then you leave civilization till you get closer to Monterey.

The second option is simply to ride the canyons of the Santa Monica mountains, including the Rock Store and Mulholland. Then head east to the Angeles Crest and dip down into the Mojave desert and Palm Springs, before turning back west.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Re: 2 days in the LA area early May

I need to avoid ripping up the canyons for 1 year I rented a Tiger 800 from Eagle Rider in LA.

I am thinking about a counter clock wise loop.

Friday starting at 2:00 PM - Leave LA and head north into Sequoia N/P, drive around the park, and stay somewhere close by or head north to make the next day shorter - suggestions?
    Sat early AM - Leave previous location and head towards Yosemite, spend time there, and head to Monterrey for the night.
    Sun early AM - Head south down the PCH and back to LAX to drop off the bike.

Still in early planning, but it will be here soon.

Thanks!