Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just move here...

Board Newbie

Just move here...

Hello,
    I just moved here 1 year ago. I've done lots of riding on my ZX10, ZX14, and 1290 Superduke. I was just wondering... Why is it that when I'm out riding, I see hundreds of Harleys out on the roads, but only 1 or two sportbikes? When I get back into town, I see all of the sportbike riders, cruising up and down powers, or parked at the Shell on Academy (in Colorado Springs). I was completely shocked to see so many squidly types in this state. I thought I would find lots of leathered-up canyon riders like myself here, being that this state has some of the best mountain twisties in the country. Am I wrong about this, or are the short-sleeve shirt, tennis shoe wearing, little leather vest, wearing squids the majority here?

Re: Just move here...

Welcome, Colorado Springs is squid central. You won't see as many when you're in the metro area. Harley riders will always be around as most sport bike riders are fair weather riders as for me I'm out all year round. Well welcome to Colorado man
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Board Newbie

Ha! Yes, I think I've found the squid Mecca here in the springs. The biggest shock was seeing lowered and stretched bikes in a state with so many great places to ride. It's a total disappointment. I see all of the "RR" vest and posers out there. I'd just like to find a few sportbike riders here that actually want to get out and ride.

Come up north and I can show you some nice twisties!

Most of us are not very keen of the biker boyz around here but well they are who they are and we just stick to what we do. There will be good rides going on this year I'm sure.
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Senior Member Moderator

A lot of the CSC members here in the Springs are track-only goers as well. There are a few of us that like to hit the canyons, but it is pretty rare to get all of us together at the same time due to schedules and whatnot.

Gold Member

Hahahaha springs is squid what? Denver has far more squids. Far more.

There's plenty of squids in the metro area but not as many as the springs.
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Junior Member Yearly Supporter Drop2's Avatar

I was crushing around Federal in Denver last night watching the races with my girlfriend, and saw an abundance of squids. I suppose that is to be expected at the street races though.
    2004 "Candy Thunder Blue" ZX6R (sixdirtysix)

Two Brothers slip-on

Oh Federal is squid central of the metro area
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Different people enjoy different bikes in different ways.

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    Oh Federal is squid central of the metro area

lol TROOF!!!! Federal and West Alameda is squid central. I just shake my head and go about my business.
    Erich-
    2004 SV650S - 8K miles - SOLD
    2003 SV1000S - 15K miles - My new love!

I stay out of the city for the most part. If I go ride, it's into the mountains. I've heard about some of these places and meets, but I've not been and probably won't. That's what they enjoy, whatever, I just stay away and stick to what I like. Check in here or on the FB page, you'll see meetups posted for canyon rides.

Gold Member

There's plenty of squids in the metro area but not as many as the springs.
    I would just like to point out that in someone's eyes we are all squids. No different than the other.

How about we try to remember that before we try to talk down on fellow riders.

Plus you just got a bike again so you are number one squid of this forum. Buming bikes from everyone to race and stuff. Nope. Super squid.

Now go do a burnout.

Yea, I'm a super squid, matter of fact such a super squid that people trust me with their bikes and know I'm a safe/responsible rider who wears his gear AT ALL TIMES something quite opposite of what a squid is but nice try... I don't do burnouts, I actually take care of my bikes, only idiots hit the rev limiter thinking they're cool when matter of fact they're doing nothing but internal damage to their motors and burning their clutch/tires. Again, nice try.
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Gold Member

Guess you didn't pick up on my sarcasm with the squid comment.

I would just like to point out the irony of posting how good/cool you are and then bashing someone because they might rev their bike too high. Lol.

But its cool man. Not sure why you felt you needed to defend yourself with the squid comment. I mean come on man... Its just townie talking shit.

What amazed me the most was all you read was me calling you a squid. I would have thought the first part would have had more meaning to you. Didn't Jesus say something about being without sin and throwing rocks? I don't know I'm not a religious person.

I see a whole club here being represented as squids

St Patrick's Day Parade:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/123435...7649214770794/
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Gold Member

Lol!!!

I don't know you that well, of course I'm gonna take it personal. When did I say I was cool? The fact that I'm a mechanic and I know that hitting the rev limiter excessively can cause internal engine damage, that's talking shit? I don't get it... anyway, carry on. These discussions are getting old just like religion and science, gear or no gear, people do what they want, end of story.... I'll take my super squid self to the streets where I can really look cool
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Different people enjoy different bikes in different ways.
    Bueller always says it best.... and very true, goes for all hobbies/passions.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    I would just like to point out that in someone's eyes we are all squids. No different than the other.
    Despite what people think of townie hahahha.... this is very true. How much of society believes all motorcycles should be banned completely?

For myself, I associate with all, even when I don't agree with the way they ride. Goes back to an old conversation of what defines a squid? To me, doesn't matter what the gear or lack of.... it comes down to how they ride around the public. There are just as many squids in the canyons as there are in the regular city streets/highways.

And there are some squids who actually do take part in track days and ride fairly well, just make some decisions in the streets that I don't don't always agree with..... Thats when I casually ride solo and just meet people later.

BTW, ElVulch, welcome to the CSC stirring pot!!
    Last edited by Slo; Tue Mar 31st, 2015 at 09:11 AM.

Gold Member

I don't know you that well, of course I'm gonna take it personal. When did I say I was cool? The fact that I'm a mechanic and I know that hitting the rev limiter excessively can cause internal engine damage, that's talking shit? I don't get it... anyway, carry on. These discussions are getting old just like religion and science, gear or no gear, people do what they want, end of story.... I'll take my super squid self to the streets where I can really look cool
    Dude slow down. Go reread my post. SARCASIM! Because I'm never sarcastic. NooooooOOOOoooo.

I said I was talking shit. Not that you were talking shit. Calm down dude.

Squid.

Now I am all confused as thought a "Squid" was a person who rides a motorcycle without a helmet

To me it just shows a lack of experience because I have known very few that rode for many years that did not wear a helmet; over time you see how fragile a head is and how easy it is to get hurt on a sportbike.

I will share my story of this from when I first started riding a long time ago. Met a guy that had been riding for many years and I asked him why he didn't wear his helmet; brother of a girl I worked with at time. His reply was "I do on highway, but I have been doing this so long I don't need a helmet in town as I do not crash". I said "hmmm...see to me it is the other people I worry about and that is why I wear one". Conversation basically ended by him telling me "well when you get as good as me you will understand...oh and get a real bike"; I was not allowed to ride with his crew because I was on a Katana (my first sportbike). Well few months later he was doing stunts at the "proving grounds" without his helmet. Another rider came doing a wheelie and hit him; ran over his head and killed him I'll never forget that moment I heard of this because it had really disturbed me people actually felt they were so good that an accident could not happen to them.

So to me it is not worth it.....

Gold Member

My company blocks that site.

Is that the one that said it was someone who wears only a helmet?

If so I do not agree and feel a squid is a person that does not even wear a helmet