Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just move here...

Re: Just move here...

Squid
    A young motorcyclist who overestimates his abilities, boasts of his riding skills when in reality he has none. Squid bikes are usually decorated with chrome and various anodized bits. Rear tyres are too wide for their own good, swingarm extended. Really slow in the corners, and sudden bursts of acceleration when a straight appears. Squids wear no protection, deeming themselves invincible. This fact compounds intself with the fact that they engage in 'extreem riding'--performing wheelies and stoppies in public areas. Squids wreck alot. Derived from 'squirly kid'

Where it says "squids wear no protection, deeming themselves invincible", I would have to say, so do some that are geared up, including full leathers, boots, the whole set of gear.

I agree with the 1st n 4th sentance.

Gold Member

'Squid' is a contraction of "Squirrelly Kid", and comes from So Cal racers who were also involved in the Surfer culture.

Though the term is now widely used to describe street riders of questionable cornering skill, questionable judgement in demonstrations of horsepower and braking, questionable judgement in the protective clothing worn, and very questionable judgement in his/her friends, the meaning was actually developed at the racetrack.

Back in the day before trackdays (an organized event to allow anyone with a motorcycle and the price of admission to gain familiarity with a racetrack and learn to ride faster, more safely than on the street) were common and new racers frequently had no track experience - hence their unpredictable behavior and unsteady lines led to them being labelled "squirrelly", as unpredictable surfers (or surfing conditions or surfing equipment) were also called.

From there, the term made it to the canyons of Southern California (a popular means to risk one's hide while demonstrating riding skill at speeds well over the posted limit), then out to the rest of the world that reads about So Cal in magazines and apparently strives to be just like So Cal.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    I would have to say, so do some that are geared up, including full leathers, boots, the whole set of gear.
    No way bra.

Board Newbie

Well,
    I see so many people on sportbikes here that ride them like cruisers, well actually, I take that back... I've seen more cruisers out riding the canyons than I have sportbikes. I think it's all relative though. The people on sport bikes that only remain within the city limits have never been exposed to anything else. They meet up with a certain group of sportbike owners (not what I would consider riders) that have only been exposed to the same thing. They meet at Sonic, sit there for hours, and then ride somewhere else in town, then park their bike and do the same thing over again. Like I said, it's all about exposure and the type of people you meet in the beginning that dictates what type of sportbike owner you are. There are many different types of sportbike owners... If you bought a bike just to "be cool" and never get out of your zip code and really ride that machine you've chosen to place between your legs.... You're missing out on some of the best experiences a rider can have.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    I would just like to point out that in someone's eyes we are all squids. No different than the other.

How about we try to remember that before we try to talk down on fellow riders.

Plus you just got a bike again so you are number one squid of this forum. Buming bikes from everyone to race and stuff. Nope. Super squid.

Now go do a burnout.

oh NO YOU DIDN'T BITCH!!!! Leave my lil buddy alone.....

Quote Originally Posted by ElVulch View Post
    Well,
    I see so many people on sportbikes here that ride them like cruisers, well actually, I take that back... I've seen more cruisers out riding the canyons than I have sportbikes. I think it's all relative though. The people on sport bikes that only remain within the city limits have never been exposed to anything else. They meet up with a certain group of sportbike owners (not what I would consider riders) that have only been exposed to the same thing. They meet at Sonic, sit there for hours, and then ride somewhere else in town, then park their bike and do the same thing over again. Like I said, it's all about exposure and the type of people you meet in the beginning that dictates what type of sportbike owner you are. There are many different types of sportbike owners... If you bought a bike just to "be cool" and never get out of your zip code and really ride that machine you've chosen to place between your legs.... You're missing out on some of the best experiences a rider can have.
    And some people go through stages, have seen some of the city riders make their way to the canyons and even the track. Have convinced a few before to come to the dark side haha,
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by mdub View Post
    oh NO YOU DIDN'T BITCH!!!! Leave my lil buddy alone.....
    Lol listen here guy.

As for the people who never leave the city I can say the roads in Colorado are boring compared to other places.

When I first moved there and went to the mountains I was highly disappointed. But I also didn't realize how amazing the Sierras are.

So I found my peace out in the east rocking wheelies.

Board Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    Lol listen here guy.

As for the people who never leave the city I can say the roads in Colorado are boring compared to other places.

When I first moved there and went to the mountains I was highly disappointed. But I also didn't realize how amazing the Sierras are.

So I found my peace out in the east rocking wheelies.
    Disappointed? How so? I think what you are saying is that you are a straight line rider. They make great bikes for that... They're called "Harleys".

Board Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    And some people go through stages, have seen some of the city riders make their way to the canyons and even the track. Have convinced a few before to come to the dark side haha,
    I've convinced a few myself. Not only canyon riding... Just really riding... instead of posing!

I had a Harley I rode like a sportbike

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    I had a Harley I rode like a sportbike
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )