Thread: Interested in a cruiser/touring bike for long trips, need some advice

Interested in a cruiser/touring bike for long trips, need some advice

My wife now really seems to enjoy riding on the back of the bike with me, but riding on the back of a 2005 Ninja 636 is uncomfortable for both of us. We have been talking about taking some nice long trips this summer now that she has weekends off with her new job. I would like to take trips possibly to Mt. Rushmore and Canyon City/Royal Gorge, possibly as far out as 4 corners. Obviously this would be better for both of us if we had some sort of cruiser/touring type bike that is more comfortable for us. I am posting this up to get some information and feedback on some of the bikes that I like and what other options people would recommend. I would like something relatively inexpensive as I am unsure if this is the route I'd like to go with a bike so I don't want to get in too deep on this and also something inexpensive to insure since I don't know how often I would be able to ride these long trips.

For a touring type of bike, I am somewhat interested in the Ninja 1000. I really like the more upright riding position and taller windscreen and the hard bag option as well. I like the idea that this is still a fun/sport bike with a 1000cc engine that would still make it pretty fun in the twisties if we head up to the mountains. However this may be too sporty of a bike to make it comfortable for 2-up on long rides. I'd also imagine that insurance costs for a 1000cc bike like this could be pricey.

For a cruiser, I really like the Kawasaki Vulcan 900. I like this as a decent looking cruiser with some style, and like the idea of a sissy bar and bags with a taller windscreen as well. This seems to be a good choice for carrying a passenger with still a decent amount of power. I have an interest in the Honda Shadow as they can be bought fairly cheap, but at a 750cc I worry about growing out of it fast and it not being enough in the mountains with both myself and my wife on the back, so the 900cc Vulcan seems like the right choice.

Does anyone have experience with the bikes listed above? Also if buying is not the right decision, I wouldn't mind test riding a Vulcan or seeing if there is a place locally I can rent from and try out a trip with my wife rather than buying. But I imagine renting is probably pretty pricey if there are even places that rent around here. Any input would be appreciated!
    2005 Suzuki SV650s Blue (SOLD), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636 Lime Green

Re: Interested in a cruiser/touring bike for long trips, need some advice

I looked at the Vulcan 900 a few years ago and it was a good bike. I bought a Yamaha VStar 1100 Custom because it seemed to be built slightly better and the attention to detail seemed better to me. Mine is a little dirty right now, but if you want to come over and check it out, I'll get it out and cleaned up. I'm not that far from you, either (Iliff and Tower are the closest streets).

Quote Originally Posted by birchyboy View Post
    I looked at the Vulcan 900 a few years ago and it was a good bike. I bought a Yamaha VStar 1100 Custom because it seemed to be built slightly better and the attention to detail seemed better to me. Mine is a little dirty right now, but if you want to come over and check it out, I'll get it out and cleaned up. I'm not that far from you, either (Iliff and Tower are the closest streets).
    That actually sounds great! I will try to make plans to stop by with my wife some night after work if possible and let you know. I would like to actually try out riding a bike with her on the back to see how we like it. I've ridden a Yamaha Bolt and a Yamaha Raider at a demo day in 2013, and would like to see how it feels on a cruiser with a passenger on the back to see if its something that we would like doing. last thing I want to do is get into a bike for $4000-6000 and then ride it for the first time and think nah this isn't for us. It's easy to maneuver a crotch rocket for me but not sure how it is being lower and that riding position and with a passenger when trying to make turns. I'm probably thinking too far itno it and it's probably easier than I'm imagining it to be.

For me either an FJR or ZG14 (Kawi Concourse) are the way to be, maybe even a VFR. They're amazing tourer bikes, comfortable as all hell and still have that fun/fast factor.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    For me either an FJR or ZG14 (Kawi Concourse) are the way to be, maybe even a VFR. They're amazing tourer bikes, comfortable as all hell and still have that fun/fast factor.
    +1 on the VFR, get a little bit of all positive things with this bike without much limitation on anything.

I love the sportbike look still and was also thinking about the VFR Perhaps say a 2007 or so. There are so many options!

Does anyone know any places here that rent bikes by chance?

Quote Originally Posted by UHATEIT View Post
    That actually sounds great! I will try to make plans to stop by with my wife some night after work if possible and let you know. I would like to actually try out riding a bike with her on the back to see how we like it. I've ridden a Yamaha Bolt and a Yamaha Raider at a demo day in 2013, and would like to see how it feels on a cruiser with a passenger on the back to see if its something that we would like doing. last thing I want to do is get into a bike for $4000-6000 and then ride it for the first time and think nah this isn't for us. It's easy to maneuver a crotch rocket for me but not sure how it is being lower and that riding position and with a passenger when trying to make turns. I'm probably thinking too far itno it and it's probably easier than I'm imagining it to be.
    Yeah, let's set something up via PM. My bike has had the seats upgraded with better padding and it has an OEM backrest.

VFR is a horrible touring bike. I don't know anyone that would go all the way to the 4 corners on one of those.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

I had a buddy's VFR for a couple months and think it would be a fine solo tourer but I don't think a pillion would be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by koop View Post
    I had a buddy's VFR for a couple months and think it would be a fine solo tourer but I don't think a pillion would be happy.
    Yeah most definitely this would be a bike for me and the wife to cruise together on. The vfr and a ninja 1000 would be fun as a solo sport tourer for sure I imagine. I'm actually thinking of a full on cruiser type for the both of us.

I'm looking at the new BMW R1200RT myself...
    2000 Zx-12R; 2007 GSXR 600 (bosses bike)
    2016 BMW R1200RS Granite FOG ride
    09 G8GT, 02 WJ

For a full on cruiser that same friend has a Kawasaki Voyager. Never ridden it but he likes it. Must be smooth, he said his daughter fell asleep on the back once. He's had it a few years and no problems. There is one on craigslist cheap.

http://rockies.craigslist.org/mcy/4952926782.html