My wife now really seems to enjoy riding on the back of the bike with me, but riding on the back of a 2005 Ninja 636 is uncomfortable for both of us. We have been talking about taking some nice long trips this summer now that she has weekends off with her new job. I would like to take trips possibly to Mt. Rushmore and Canyon City/Royal Gorge, possibly as far out as 4 corners. Obviously this would be better for both of us if we had some sort of cruiser/touring type bike that is more comfortable for us. I am posting this up to get some information and feedback on some of the bikes that I like and what other options people would recommend. I would like something relatively inexpensive as I am unsure if this is the route I'd like to go with a bike so I don't want to get in too deep on this and also something inexpensive to insure since I don't know how often I would be able to ride these long trips.

For a touring type of bike, I am somewhat interested in the Ninja 1000. I really like the more upright riding position and taller windscreen and the hard bag option as well. I like the idea that this is still a fun/sport bike with a 1000cc engine that would still make it pretty fun in the twisties if we head up to the mountains. However this may be too sporty of a bike to make it comfortable for 2-up on long rides. I'd also imagine that insurance costs for a 1000cc bike like this could be pricey.

For a cruiser, I really like the Kawasaki Vulcan 900. I like this as a decent looking cruiser with some style, and like the idea of a sissy bar and bags with a taller windscreen as well. This seems to be a good choice for carrying a passenger with still a decent amount of power. I have an interest in the Honda Shadow as they can be bought fairly cheap, but at a 750cc I worry about growing out of it fast and it not being enough in the mountains with both myself and my wife on the back, so the 900cc Vulcan seems like the right choice.

Does anyone have experience with the bikes listed above? Also if buying is not the right decision, I wouldn't mind test riding a Vulcan or seeing if there is a place locally I can rent from and try out a trip with my wife rather than buying. But I imagine renting is probably pretty pricey if there are even places that rent around here. Any input would be appreciated!