Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rip Van Winkle

Rip Van Winkle

Hey all,

I've been riding for 20+ years but have been asleep for the past 10. What's new in sportbikes?

The 1999 R1 was such a huge jump, then the 2001 GSX-R1000. I got the K1 in 2003, then a K5 in 2009, and basically haven't looked at bikes since. Are most of the improvements in weight? Handling? Traction control? Brakes? Suspension? Chassis stiffness? Heated grips? Leopard print seats?

Please help educate the old & feeble.

Re: Rip Van Winkle

electronics

New R1
    Ducati 1199 or 1299
    BMW s1000rr (or HP4 if you have money)

Damn, thought this was a post saying Vanilla Ice died.

His real name is "Robert Matthew Van Winkle" so thought it was ; R.I.P. Van Winkle as in Vanila Ice
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

wonder if he is still remodeling homes in florida...???

Thanks tecknojoe; I'll do some googling on those bikes. Can anyone who has one speak to if they love/hate the electronics? Do they mean you can be hamfisted on the throttle or brakes? When I was a young idiot I used to love wringing out my 600---you couldn't get in much trouble---but now that I'm an old idiot I'm a lot more careful about that. What happens if you get on a new S1000RR and go WOT? Some sort of traction control kick in? thanks

P.S. Sorry about scaring you about Vanilla Ice!
    Last edited by lth; Wed Apr 8th, 2015 at 08:44 AM. Reason: ice ice baby

Senior Member Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
    electronics

New R1
    Ducati 1199 or 1299
    BMW s1000rr (or HP4 if you have money)
    +1
    You can also add other bikes with competent electronics packages such as the Kawasaki ZX-10R and H2, Aprilia RSV4 RR/RF, EBR 1190RX. Really, the only 2015 model year supersport holdouts concerning electronics are the Honda CBR1000RR and the Suzuki GSX-R 1000. Additionally, the manufacturers with electronics packages are also working to meet/surpass 200 bhp.

Quote Originally Posted by mdub View Post
    wonder if he is still remodeling homes in florida...???
    Oh yeah totally forgot he had a DIY home show...just checked and is on third season and even wrote a book on it called "Vanilla Ice Project – Real Estate Guide on how to succeed in real estate".

Wow, he has been busy, who would have thought

In June 2011, Ice filmed a role in the film That's My Boy (released in 2012)
    His sixth studio album, WTF, was released on August 19 through Radium Records
    In December 2011, Ice played Captain Hook in the Chatham, Kent Central Theatre pantomime production of Peter Pan
    On May 12, 2012, Vanilla Ice helped in the launch of the Mr. Freeze Reverse Blast roller coaster at Six Flags over Texas in Arlington with a free concert for valid daily park ticket or 2012 Season Pass holders
    In mid 2013, Vanilla Ice joined the New Kids on the Block tour alongside Boyz II Men.
    On September 15, 2013, Vanilla Ice performed at the halftime show of a Houston Texans game.
    Ice is currently filming Adam Sandler's new Western comedy The Ridiculous Six where he portrays Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Oh yeah totally forgot he had a DIY home show...just checked and is on third season and even wrote a book on it called "Vanilla Ice Project – Real Estate Guide on how to succeed in real estate".

Wow, he has been busy, who would have thoughtIn June 2011, Ice filmed a role in the film That's My Boy (released in 2012)
    His sixth studio album, WTF, was released on August 19 through Radium Records
    In December 2011, Ice played Captain Hook in the Chatham, Kent Central Theatre pantomime production of Peter Pan
    On May 12, 2012, Vanilla Ice helped in the launch of the Mr. Freeze Reverse Blast roller coaster at Six Flags over Texas in Arlington with a free concert for valid daily park ticket or 2012 Season Pass holders
    In mid 2013, Vanilla Ice joined the New Kids on the Block tour alongside Boyz II Men.
    On September 15, 2013, Vanilla Ice performed at the halftime show of a Houston Texans game.
    Ice is currently filming Adam Sandler's new Western comedy The Ridiculous Six where he portrays Mark Twain.
    You forgot his recent arrest for stealing from his neighbors.

whoa...gotta look into that...

remember he was here a few years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNa4Nc3keNU

come on forum, we can make ONE thread about motorcycles

Most of the newer bikes have traction sensitivity and you can set how much it interferes. It's still a 200hp bike though. You've really gotta read the long articles on those bikes I listed, there's a ton of info to learn about. It's no longer about who's got the most power and least weight, it's managing the power and at the right moment

They've also got electronic adjustable suspension (at least the higher end models do, like the HP4). My buddy has the HP4 and loves it. Says the suspension is dialed and he never has to screw with anything. I chased him around the track at Le Mans last year. fun stuff

Everything for bikes has changed a ton in the last 10+ years, they're insanely different.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR
    2024 Aprilia Tuono Factory Ultra Gold

Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
    come on forum, we can make ONE thread about motorcycles
    Look, I understand it is the in the "bike talk", but more appropriate titles could be used to identify the topic before I click on it.

Honestly I did not appreciate thinking Vanilla Ice died by such a weird title

Don't forget the KTM RC8 and its add-on electronics. Spot on about managing the power these days. If you want big power, the big doo-about-nothing is the Kawi H2 with it's ludicrous super charger (which still only produces 200hp like all the other listed). What's cool about the CBR1000 is that Honda decided to try and build a bike which can cope with the power and stay true to the rider riding the bike, as opposed to making it manageable through electronics...
    Respect and truth trump all!
    I don't get lost. I explore.

What electronics are added on to the RC8?

That's my favorite bike ever built but even I admit it's as oldschool as they come

The only thing I remember is 2011+ adding ECU controlled engine braking

Here is a pretty good link that shows the entire history and future that may help you out
    http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/future.htm

Here is a pretty good link that shows the entire history and future that may help you out
    http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/future.htm
    This page was last updated in 2003! Here's a quote:

As with the horse and buggie, we will all be sad to see them go. The Film camera industry is going though the same drastic change with Digital camera's. I own 9 professional SLR film cameras and don't want a Digital, I enjoy film and the process of taking a photo on film.

Quote Originally Posted by lth View Post
    Hey all,

I've been riding for 20+ years but have been asleep for the past 10. What's new in sportbikes?

The 1999 R1 was such a huge jump, then the 2001 GSX-R1000. I got the K1 in 2003, then a K5 in 2009, and basically haven't looked at bikes since. Are most of the improvements in weight? Handling? Traction control? Brakes? Suspension? Chassis stiffness? Heated grips? Leopard print seats?

Please help educate the old & feeble.
    Are you still riding your K5?? If so, man that's plenty of bike for you. The K5's were very good GSX-R's, probably if I were to upgrade mine, I'd stop at a K5-K6 model. Can't say as any of the new ones are that enticing, regardless of all the gizmos.

I'm still on my K3 and love the bike. Love the minimalistic approach, with no nannies helping me out. Still plenty of power, yeah it's not 200hp like the new ones but it's still very fast for me. I'm kind of in your boat though, I basically stopped looking at bikes after about 2007. I'm stuck in a time warp of 2001-2007 in terms of motorcycles. I haven't really cared what bikes have done since. I mean they are so freaking fast, it's all a matter of just how fast you want to go. I know the R1 got the big bang motor back in 2009 but that's about all the up to date stuff I know about bikes. Other than the S1000RR is probably the fastest of the 1000's and has the most power.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Quote Originally Posted by lth View Post
    This page was last updated in 2003! Here's a quote:

As with the horse and buggie, we will all be sad to see them go. The Film camera industry is going though the same drastic change with Digital camera's. I own 9 professional SLR film cameras and don't want a Digital, I enjoy film and the process of taking a photo on film.
    Feel free to do your own search too

I'll even get you started http://lmgtfy.com/?q=evolution+of+the+sportbike
    Last edited by bulldog; Fri Apr 10th, 2015 at 07:29 AM.

Smile Re: Rip Van Winkle

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Are you still riding your K5?? If so, man that's plenty of bike for you. The K5's were very good GSX-R's, probably if I were to upgrade mine, I'd stop at a K5-K6 model. Can't say as any of the new ones are that enticing, regardless of all the gizmos.
    I'm still riding the K5, if by "riding" you mean watching it collect dust in the garage. The reality is I'll probably never get another sportbike, but they're still fun to talk about.

Bulldog, I came to this forum to talk about motorcycles, not to hear someone tell me "google it." And please don't get bent; I'm just hassling you back.

Just messing around too

Now I have not heard anyone mention the BMW S1000RR launch control; pretty cool new technology. Has some other electronic goodies ...like electronic throttle control, cruise control, & lean angle display
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V28PjHp_ow4
    http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/new...spl-1642286541
    Last edited by bulldog; Fri Apr 10th, 2015 at 08:37 AM.

Launch control, really? Just clutch the shit and be a man
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    Launch control, really? Just clutch the shit and be a man
    I agree 100%...think all these new "goodies" don't really make people better riders as they rely on that stuff to much.....I've never had these goodies to really say though. Was just saying what is new.....

I even get annoyed with all this happening on cars; launch control, paddle shifters with no clutch, dual transmissions. Used to be about how good you were with a clutch and stick and took skills to learn that.

I agree 100%...think all these new "goodies" don't really make people better riders as they rely on that stuff to much.....I've never had these goodies to really say though. Was just saying what is new.....

I even get annoyed with all this happening on cars; launch control, paddle shifters with no clutch, dual transmissions. Used to be about how good you were with a clutch and stick and took skills to learn that.
    I know just saying that things are getting really stupid with all this technology and making riders/drivers lazy and have a false sense of control/security.... As far as the paddle shifters and dual clutch transmissions go, though I'm not much for them but unfortunately with the type of power cars are making these days and all being about faster numbers, the standard transmissions aren't cutting it anymore plus like I said people are getting lazier and they're just looking for convenience and not have to think ... I honestly hate automatics and forever will, will own a standard transmission for as long as they exist which at this rate they will become obsolete sometime in the near future I'm sure.
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    I know just saying that things are getting really stupid with all this technology and making riders/drivers lazy and have a false sense of control/security.... As far as the paddle shifters and dual clutch transmissions go, though I'm not much for them but unfortunately with the type of power cars are making these days and all being about faster numbers, the standard transmissions aren't cutting it anymore plus like I said people are getting lazier and they're just looking for convenience and not have to think ... I honestly hate automatics and forever will, will own a standard transmission for as long as they exist which at this rate they will become obsolete sometime in the near future I'm sure.
    Hell yeah bro.....manual for me too...thank goodness they still make the WRX in standard (I don't think they even sell a auto). I've been driving one so long that when I get in a auto I get confused as so used to engine braking and downshifting through my turns. Then on snow I feel I get so much more control with a manual

Worked for years on my launches so kind of sucks nearly anyone can get in a newer car and get a near perfect launch with all the assistance now.