Thread: Gloves! Need help / advice on what to buy next

Gloves! Need help / advice on what to buy next

So over the 10 yrs or so since I've been riding. I have had alpinestars sp1, scorpion magnum and joe rocket (don't remember the model) gloves. The alpinestars were pretty comfortable but still lacked some protection (imho) and really lacked the feel i'm looking for.

I keep hearing about these brands that I can't seem to find locally (in Denver,co) - Held, Racer, Rukka, etc

Anyone have experience with these brands?

What do you guys recommend for a great street glove that has good protection, feels great and has amazing feedback and also good for 3 seasons - I stop riding here in Colorado once it hits 40 or below.

thank you.

Re: Gloves! Need help / advice on what to buy next

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettodsm View Post
    So over the 10 yrs or so since I've been riding. I have had alpinestars sp1, scorpion magnum and joe rocket (don't remember the model) gloves. The alpinestars were pretty comfortable but still lacked some protection (imho) and really lacked the feel i'm looking for.

I keep hearing about these brands that I can't seem to find locally (in Denver,co) - Held, Racer, Rukka, etc

Anyone have experience with these brands?

What do you guys recommend for a great street glove that has good protection, feels great and has amazing feedback and also good for 3 seasons - I stop riding here in Colorado once it hits 40 or below.

thank you.
    I used to go through gloves a lot; always wore holes in them. Someone on here, I think uglydogracing (Jim) told me about Held gloves. They were pricier than other gloves like Alpinestars, JR, Technics, etcm but they are the only glove that has held up over the years for me and did not tear. My only issue is they are a bit stiff when I first use the but soften up after a while.

As for getting cold I always threw a pair of thin glove liners in my bag and just threw those obn under the Held gloves and worked well. Sort of like these http://www.amazon.com/Terramar-S491-...B1SMJY6NZCW3SA
    Last edited by bulldog; Mon Apr 13th, 2015 at 02:37 PM.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    I used to go through gloves a lot; always wore holes in them. Someone on here, I think uglydogracing (Jim) told me about Held gloves. They were pricier than other gloves like Alpinestars, JR, Technics, etcm but they are the only glove that has held up over the years for me and did not tear. My only issue is they are a bit stiff when I first use the but soften up after a while.

As for getting cold I always threw a pair of thin glove liners in my bag and just threw those obn under the Held gloves and worked well. Sort of like these http://www.amazon.com/Terramar-S491-...B1SMJY6NZCW3SA

Nice ! What HELD gloves do you have? Looks like bmw of Denver carries them so I might have to make a stop after work!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettodsm View Post
    Nice ! What HELD gloves do you have? Looks like bmw of Denver carries them so I might have to make a stop after work!
    Been so long I really don't remember. I do remember they were kangaroo skin

Here is a thread I came across when searching that also speaks highly of Held. I was sick of buying cheap ones that always wore out and the extra money is worth it http://forums.pelicanparts.com/bmw-r...nt-review.html
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Thanks! I will have to try some one hopefully at this local bmw dealer. Anyone else know where to try some on at?

Anyone used RS Taichi gloves?

If you want feedback and feel, kangaroo skin palms are the way to go; it can be made of thinner leather and just as tough as cowhide.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

I've not personally used any of those brands aside from RS Taichi, but I know people who have raced with Held and Racer at least. As far as trying some on, Performance Cycle and 303 Cycle both generally have good selections. I know some of the dealers do as well, but I can't keep the southern ones straight (some of the dealers have a fairly limited selection).
    Blair
    2000 GSX750F, 2003 YZ450F, 2004 GSXR750, 2006 ZX-14
    2013 CBR500R, 2016 YZF-R6 - MRA #760

I can't speak to RS Taichi gloves, but I have One of their jackets. If the gloves are on par with their jackets, then they are worth trying because the jacket I have is incredible.

The best gloves I have are Knox handroids. Stiff at first but they soften up with use and they have tons more protection than my A* gloves. I have heard great things about Held as well.

Jason
    07 600RR
    07 Speed Triple -[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)] [/COLOR]GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)][/COLOR]

+1 for the Knox Handroids. They are tough and really comfortable after they've broken in. I've been wearing them for 4 years and they are still in great shape. I got them at 303 Cycle.
    2005 Yamaha YZF-R6 (SOLD)
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    Stupidity should be painful.

+1 for Knox. They are one of the few brands that have the palm sliders. I can personally attest that they hold up to wrecks where palms hit the deck better than any glove I have ever worn.

www.sportbiketrackgear.com has some good deals on them in both short and long versions.

I've been racing in Knox Handroids and like them. They look a bit over the top honestly, but provide a lot of protection and have lasted well. The palm sliders are becoming more common, the latest set of gloves I bought (Dainese) had them. Aside from protecting the palm, they make make the hand more likely to slide which reduces wrist injuries.
    Blair

palm sliders are a must for my next set of gloves!

What about these types of stories with the knox handroids?
    http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/str...id-gloves.html

I remember liking the way they looked when they first came out but after a couple horror stories like this I stayed far away!

Also I keep hearing about these "racer" brand gloves

Anyone have experience with them?

No personal experience, but I know a friend from the MRA was using them when he crashed at PPIR and was impressed with the protection provided. I'll see if I can find more info, but after getting his hand stuck between the bar and pavement at high speed the gloves held up well.

Not sure about locally, but I know Speedin' Motorsports has them. http://www.speedinmotorsports.com/Road-Race-_c_242.html If you call them they can probably offer some insight as well.
    Blair

Also, I personally know people who have crashed wearing the Handroids and didn't have any issues. Every crash is different, but I never saw anything that made me stop wearing mine.
    Blair

HELD has been the best pair of gloves I've ever owned. They lasted at least 5 years of heavy abuse. I've used Knox and Alpinestars both of which lasted max of two seasons.

Handroids are ok, but, I won't buy them again. Too many plastic pieces that break in a get off and can make them a pain to continue to use or not be able to use at all. I like simple velcro.

I've always used the Knox Handroid as well and loved them. However, they are a bit bulky and heavy IMO. I tried a pair of the Racer High Speed gloves on over the winter and instantly knew that it was going to be my next set of racing gloves. They fit perfectly and had just as much protection as the Handroid without the "overkill". I applied for a sponsorship with them this year and was approved and got my first pair on the way. I'll ask them if there are any local shops that carry them so people can go "put their hands in em"!