Thread: Handheld Motorcycle GPS?

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Generic's Avatar

Handheld Motorcycle GPS?

I'd like to try a little more off-road riding this season, but I'd like to get a dedicated GPS unit first. Ideally one that I can take off and carry handheld or stuff in a pocket. What would you all recommend?

Thanks,
    Murdock
    2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Re: Handheld Motorcycle GPS?

Quote Originally Posted by Generic View Post
    I'd like to try a little more off-road riding this season, but I'd like to get a dedicated GPS unit first. Ideally one that I can take off and carry handheld or stuff in a pocket. What would you all recommend?

Thanks,
    Murdock
    A smartphone and a good waterproof case/mount.

http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Mot.../dp/B005PVGPMQ

Ok, you did say "dedicated", so probably not what you wanted to hear. Although why not have one device for it all.....I am sure you have your reasons though.
    Last edited by bulldog; Tue Apr 14th, 2015 at 09:16 AM.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Depends on what you mean by off-road. Most smartphone GPS's are good if you stay on dirt roads and such, they use google maps or similar and don't show trails usually. You can get a rough idea of where you are, but they might not show the cliff or stream crossing that a topo map might. If you're using it for navigation get one of the hiking ones from REI and bring one of the county OHV maps. OTOH if you're just using GPS so loved ones can track where you are, I've used both the free app on my phone and the SPOT ($100/yr subscription) device.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

The TomTom Rider comes with an easy on/off mount. The mount is powered and is secured to the handlebars. The GPS clips into that; removing it is a 10 second deal. You can get a locking mechanism from TomTom or RAM, who makes the mounting hardware.

One GIANT problem with the cell phone suggestion, you need service for this. Kind of defeats having GPS for being in the boondocks, when there's no service in said boondocks. I've recently been doing some research to buy one for backcountry use (hiking, skiing), so interested to see any suggestions.
    The Toys:
    05 Suzuki SV1000S
    07 KTM 450EXC
    00 Toyota MR2
    76 Toyota Landcruiser Rockcrawler
    13 Yeti SB66c
    Too many skis to list

Some apps let you save an area in memory. If you know the area you will be in ahead of time, save it and use the GPS to overlay on saved map. Did this as a back up and data logging device. My main GPS was a Magellen Sport, IIRC. It is very outdated and rather difficult to use. It is probably 15 yrs old now.

Quote Originally Posted by teamextreme View Post
    One GIANT problem with the cell phone suggestion, you need service for this. Kind of defeats having GPS for being in the boondocks, when there's no service in said boondocks. I've recently been doing some research to buy one for backcountry use (hiking, skiing), so interested to see any suggestions.
    No, you don't. Take a look at OSMAnd+, Locus, etc. Many apps allow you to download the maps to memory.
    "I busted the Star Trek Enterprise's ass from a warp 6 roll.. had about 10 lightyears on it when i got out of it. Captain Picard still talks **** though... says he needs some dyno time."

I have an older version of this https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-t...rod140020.html

You do have to buy additional maps, at least you used to, but it works great. Loading topo maps is easy once you waste several hours figuring out how to do it. It's great for routing on road or on trials. I just used it on the dirtbike last weekend in Green River, UT.

My buddy uses this and it is insanely nice. As it should be for the price...

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-t...prod75228.html

I hike and have an Adventure Bike I take off the beaten path. The Garmin Montana fits the bill well. With Topo maps loaded and the basic city map its very versatile. You can load a lot more points for creating routes. Its water proof, decent sized screen and has been super reliable. I have a mount on my motorcycle for it so I can track my progress and see the route that I created or downloaded.

Garmin's aren't very intuitive but once you get used to their early 90s way of doing things they work really well. Check it out.. Garmin Montana….
    2016 Honda Africa Twin
    2015 Ducati Monster 1200s Stripe
    And Freakin' Old

Quote Originally Posted by Cataract2 View Post
    No, you don't. Take a look at OSMAnd+, Locus, etc. Many apps allow you to download the maps to memory.
    Sure, that gives you a map, but does that give you a GPS location on the map? I thought you couldn't get that without cell service.

Quote Originally Posted by BushyAR15 View Post
    I hike and have an Adventure Bike I take off the beaten path. The Garmin Montana fits the bill well. With Topo maps loaded and the basic city map its very versatile. You can load a lot more points for creating routes. Its water proof, decent sized screen and has been super reliable. I have a mount on my motorcycle for it so I can track my progress and see the route that I created or downloaded.

Garmin's aren't very intuitive but once you get used to their early 90s way of doing things they work really well. Check it out.. Garmin Montana….
    The Montana is one I've been looking at. Just a little blown away by how pricey they are (not just the Montana, all of them).
    The Toys:
    05 Suzuki SV1000S
    07 KTM 450EXC
    00 Toyota MR2
    76 Toyota Landcruiser Rockcrawler
    13 Yeti SB66c
    Too many skis to list

Quote Originally Posted by teamextreme View Post
    Sure, that gives you a map, but does that give you a GPS location on the map? I thought you couldn't get that without cell service.
    GPS location does not rely on cell service, it relies on your GPS. (Yes, you can do location with just cell service, but it's not as accurate. What your GPS chip does is give you the precision of GPS.) Those apps that I mentioned will let you download the maps for offline (ie: no cell service) use. You can do routing with them, tracks, etc. Just like you can with the Montana. All on your cell phone.

Here, a thread on advrider.com which goes into major detail about dedicated gps vs Cell phone.
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=936814
    "I busted the Star Trek Enterprise's ass from a warp 6 roll.. had about 10 lightyears on it when i got out of it. Captain Picard still talks **** though... says he needs some dyno time."

There is a interesting thread on GPS units vs. Cell Phones here… http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=939840
    2016 Honda Africa Twin
    2015 Ducati Monster 1200s Stripe
    And Freakin' Old

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Generic's Avatar

Hey thanks guys.

As for the cell phone debate, I am familiar, sorry I didn't mention that. I have MotionX GPS which allows you to store/save Topos and such which works great for a planned trip. I'd like to have a more dedicated unit for times when I'm out of cell range and don't already have the maps saved. I'll take a look at those threads and the units you all recommended.
    2005 Kawasaki Z750S