Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best CO Brewery - Glenwood Canyon Brewpub

Best CO Brewery - Glenwood Canyon Brewpub

So I have went to a lot of the Breweries in CO and wanted to see which ones people like.

Just got back from Glenwood Springs and we stayed at the Hotel Denver which has a brewery attached called "Glenwood Canyon Brewpub".

I have to say this may be the BEST beer I have ever had; everything from their "Honey Porter" to their "Dunkel Lager" was awesome! Anyone into brewery beer I advise you to check out this place....

http://glenwoodcanyonbrewpub.com/

I was shocked to see how many world beer awards they had won, but after trying every single one of their beers I can see why.
    http://glenwoodcanyonbrewpub.com/awards/ & http://glenwoodcanyonbrewpub.com/beers-awards/

P.S. The Hotel Denver was awesome too and right across from the hot springs and I recommend that place too.

P.S.S. Locally (Denver) my favorite may be Dry Doc - especially their apricot ale
    Last edited by bulldog; Wed Apr 22nd, 2015 at 09:36 AM.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Re: Best CO Brewery - Glenwood Canyon Brewpub

Favorite brew place - Coors up in Golden

Favorite beer - Coors Light

Sorry I can't stand micro brew beers, taste rancid to me..
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Yea I love their sampler up there. Close to the best. The best is in A-town. Dry Dock.

That is funny BK. There are a few folks like yourself who can't stand microbrews. To each their own

Thanks for posting. I drove through Glenwood Canyon for the first time a few weeks ago on my way to Moab. Definitely a place I want to explore more. I may have to take a Friday and go head up there for a night or 2.

Quote Originally Posted by mdub View Post
    Yea I love their sampler up there. Close to the best. The best is in A-town. Dry Dock.

That is funny BK. There are a few folks like yourself who can't stand microbrews. To each their own
    Nice, so you have tried Glenwood Canyon Brewpub it seems. Yeah saw the sampler, but I was there for a few days so figured I had time to try them all....and how I did. Plus so nice to be able to walk/stumble to room in same place.

I have tried most of Dry Docks and they are good, but other than their Apricot Blonde I'd probably chose the Glenwood Canyon Brewpub. Plus hate how Dry Doc doesn't have food; Glenwood Canyon Brewpub food was amazing!

Glenwood Canyon Brewpub had this "raspberry beer" that was on par with the Apricot Blonde; such a refreshing brew too. Same with their Honey Ale; could drink that all day as so refreshing. Usually not a fan of red beers, but again theirs was great. Only one I did not care for too much is the IPA, but that is because I hate how IPA's taste.

Even tried their guest "cider" which was amazing; not too sweet, but not too bitter either

Quote Originally Posted by BenFZ View Post
    Thanks for posting. I drove through Glenwood Canyon for the first time a few weeks ago on my way to Moab. Definitely a place I want to explore more. I may have to take a Friday and go head up there for a night or 2.
    Yeah check it out for sure and as I said above their food is great too. We also at at a place called "Smoke" which may have been some of the best BBQ I have ever had; worth checking out too if you are into BBQ http://www.smokemodernbbq.com/locati...od-springs-co/

If you like hiking we also did the "Hanging Lake" hike and was awesome too; not a easy hike, but the lake at top is beautiful.

I also thought the hot springs were nice too. Like $15 to get in and there facilities were nice (changing rooms,showers, lockers etc). The spring is just a huge pool (well one other that is hotter), but was still really nice and so big it wasn't hard to find a private spot.
    Last edited by bulldog; Wed Apr 22nd, 2015 at 12:29 PM.

Looks like a road trip/weekend get away for this summer, though you guys know I don't drink much but I do like some of that fresh brewed beer at the micros.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

That's the thing man, if I can't enjoy something when I drink it, then I don't drink it. Every microbrew I've tried is the same for me, I just can't stand the flavor. Which is why I stick to just Coors Light or Coors banquet if/when I do have a beer or two. I'd much rather enjoy the beer, than to drink it just to say I'm drinking it.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Nice, so you have tried Glenwood Canyon Brewpub it seems. Yeah saw the sampler, but I was there for a few days so figured I had time to try them all...

Yeah check it out for sure and as I said above their food is great too. We also at at a place called "Smoke" which may have been some of the best BBQ I have ever had; worth checking out too if you are into BBQ http://www.smokemodernbbq.com/locati...od-springs-co/

Haha don't like ipa's... Wow man tha what makes and breaks most microws...we ate at smokes as well. Very fine establishment. Glenwood , fortunately enough have plenty of places to eat good food. Did you make it up the hill to amusement park? There's that swing up there that is not for the timid...

Haha don't like ipa's... Wow man tha what makes and breaks most microws...we ate at smokes as well. Very fine establishment. Glenwood , fortunately enough have plenty of places to eat good food. Did you make it up the hill to amusement park? There's that swing up there that is not for the timid...
    IPA's are just to "hoppy" for me and always leave that taste in my mouth so never liked them that much. I'll still drink them if that is all that is there, but usually my least favorite. I use to be really into the beers like Fat Tire, Sam Adams, Buttface (CB&Potts), and your "brown" ales. I stil love those, but they tend to get my full so I like to drink those if I am not going to eat; or before I eat. GW Canyon Brewpub's brown and Dunkel are similar and I loved both of those.

When I eat I do prefer a lighter beer so the Honey Ale and Colorado Blonde (CB&Potts) types have become something I buy more since I can drink a few of those and not feel like I have a giant bloated stomach.

Then I do like to see how well a brewery can do a "fruit" beer. So far that has been hit or miss; Dry Dock got it perfect with their "Apricot Blonde" and that may be my #1 favorite beer. GW Canyon Brewpub's raspberry was also right on. I have tried a few that are horrible so to me that is a tough combo to get right; fruit and beer. The crazy part is I learned "Redds" is actually not a cider and is truly an ale and for mass produced I am pretty amazed this was not a cider (from apples).

Speaking of ciders I like those too. Grimm brought some "Woodchuck" one day and their "Spring" one totally got me. Got really into ciders for a while, but they have tons of sugar and tons of calories so I try to stick to Redds when I want one of those.

We did not make it up to the amusement park. I wanted to go but at this time of the year most of it was closed; the rollercoaster and swing were closed. I was bummed because I love rollercoasters and thrill rides....maybe next time.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    That's the thing man, if I can't enjoy something when I drink it, then I don't drink it. Every microbrew I've tried is the same for me, I just can't stand the flavor. Which is why I stick to just Coors Light or Coors banquet if/when I do have a beer or two. I'd much rather enjoy the beer, than to drink it just to say I'm drinking it.
    Microbrews used to be a lot about the thick dark beers, but lately a lot more offer lighter alternatives. Have you tried these? I like the Colorado Blonde at CB&Potts so you should give that one a chance. I also drink Bud Light and Miller Light and don't think it is too much thicker than those so i think I know what you mean. Micro brews seem to be a acquired taste because at one time I hated them too.

To me it is a lot about my mood at the time that makes me choose a beer.
    Last edited by bulldog; Wed Apr 22nd, 2015 at 02:33 PM.

Awesome man. Yeah I was going to snowshoe hanging lake this year but I got sick of snowshoeing after about 5 or 6 times going out haha. I hike pretty much every weekend, although my new bike is definitely cutting into that time haha, but hanging lake is definitely on the to do list.

I love micro brews and I love IPAs... Guess I'm the odd man out in this thread ha

Quote Originally Posted by BenFZ View Post
    Awesome man. Yeah I was going to snowshoe hanging lake this year but I got sick of snowshoeing after about 5 or 6 times going out haha. I hike pretty much every weekend, although my new bike is definitely cutting into that time haha, but hanging lake is definitely on the to do list.

I love micro brews and I love IPAs... Guess I'm the odd man out in this thread ha
    You must be a hardcore hiker because going up to Hanging Lake on snow shoes would be pretty tough; elevation incline and all the boulders. I am in fairly decent shape, but I even got winded a few times on that hike; was cold so that didn’t help. Plus my wife is all into hiking so I think she goes fast just to see me struggle since I am a gym guy and she is more about outdoor fitness

So anyone tried the new brewery that opened in Littleton recently; Bowles and Santa Fe? I have went once and beer was ok, but nothing that blew my socks off. Again annoyed they do not have food, but must be a thing with breweries nowadays.

This is the place:

http://www.saintpatricksbrewing.com/

Have you tried Fermaentra at D.U? Place has pretty good brew. We go there on Saturdays for some Venezuelan food truck food which is also phenomenal (quiero arepas), they park right in front Saturdays from noon to 7 pm. Well worth it

www.fermaentra.com
    www.quieroarepas.com
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    Have you tried Fermaentra at D.U? Place has pretty good brew. We go there on Saturdays for some Venezuelan food truck food which is also phenomenal (quiero arepas), they park right in front Saturdays from noon to 7 pm. Well worth it

www.fermaentra.com
    www.quieroarepas.com
    Never had heard of it, but going to check it out for sure now. Thanks Damir Hit me up if you ever do go by there and I'll see if I can join you.

Let's plan for May 2nd if you can. I can't this Saturday cause its my sisters bday
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    Let's plan for May 2nd if you can. I can't this Saturday cause its my sisters bday
    Damn, the wife works this weekend so would have been perfect. Cool, we can plan for May 2nd, but remind me as it gets sooner as I may forget.

Word man, let's get a group going! Who else is in?
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Interested, might have to try and make it. Out of curiosity, does Glenwood do growlers or anything?
    Blair
    2000 GSX750F, 2003 YZ450F, 2004 GSXR750, 2006 ZX-14
    2013 CBR500R, 2016 YZF-R6 - MRA #760

How far is the hike? If I'm going to Glenwood, I'm definitely taking that hike to hanging lake. Ride and hike??
    06 GSXR 750

Quote Originally Posted by blaircsf View Post
    Interested, might have to try and make it. Out of curiosity, does Glenwood do growlers or anything?
    Yeah they had growlers....seemed like cool metal ones too. I am in brewpub withdrawals and wish I had bought a growler to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Ph03niX View Post
    How far is the hike? If I'm going to Glenwood, I'm definitely taking that hike to hanging lake. Ride and hike??
    We stopped a few times, but I'd say it took about 1 1/2 hours to get up and probably a hour to get down. I was not prepared and thought it was a easy hike as people told me it was paved and had hand rails and all. Trail to Hanging Lake (10 min walk) was paved, but the trail to HL was not paved and lots of rocks/trees to climb over. So make sure you have some good shoes/boots as the higher up we got the more snow/ice was on the rocks that made it harder. The last 2 mins of climb is basically climbing up giant rocks, but a path has been cleared over the years and even some of the rocks are like stairs. Anyone with hiking experience should be fine; I am just not the best hiker as I mainly focus on bodybuilding which hurts my cardio the bigger I get (takes all my oxygen).

Would be a good ride, went to Grand Junction before on the bike. The only thing I warn about is to check I70 weather because they are still getting storms up there; we hit some bad ones last week and would not have wanted to be on a bike
    Last edited by bulldog; Fri Apr 24th, 2015 at 07:26 AM.

Compared to other breweries, I'd saw Glenwood is sub-par. They brew mellow beers for the masses/tourists. It's the best fresh beer you can get in the area though. Good beers in Carbondale and Eagle, I think Glenwood lacks any real depth to their beer. The foods okay and it's a good atmosphere (we go there for happy hour every few weeks), but if I were to have a good beer, I'd look somewhere else. I've heard about a lot of good breweries going into Eagle. Almost the same distance from Hanging lake, but no hot springs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Compared to other breweries, I'd saw Glenwood is sub-par. They brew mellow beers for the masses/tourists. It's the best fresh beer you can get in the area though. Good beers in Carbondale and Eagle, I think Glenwood lacks any real depth to their beer. The foods okay and it's a good atmosphere (we go there for happy hour every few weeks), but if I were to have a good beer, I'd look somewhere else. I've heard about a lot of good breweries going into Eagle. Almost the same distance from Hanging lake, but no hot springs.
    I guess different tastes for different people because honestly I have been hitting up breweries for many years and really thought the Brewpub was top 3 for me. Some breweries I like one or two of their beers, but with the Brewpub I had a full glass of every beer and liked them all; which is rare for me. All their awards has to say something about it too.

Are you into very hoppy beers like IPA’s? That could be our difference as I do not care for that taste to much.

So what breweries do you recommend? I am always down to try them out even if outside of Denver. Which ones in Carbondale and Eagle do you like?

l ran into Lonetree Peach IPA last saturday. Good beer, my new favorite

l ran into Lonetree Peach IPA last saturday. Good beer, my new favorite
    Guy at liquor store recommended this to me….honestly I did not like it at all, but now that I see it is a IPA I now know why. I had seen it was a “pale ale” but does that mean the same as a Indian Pale Ale? Always assumed they were not the same.

It was very hoppy like a IPA though.

South Denver Beer Festival this weekend!
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.