Thread: Choosing a set of race boots??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Choosing a set of race boots??

Changing the topic: Does leather race suit quality matter? I don't like buying the cheapest crap, but if there is no big difference between a $600 suit and a $2400 suit, I would rather the cheaper of the two so if I go down I am safe, but not out $2400 you know? I am looking at a Cortech Latigo suit and it is $600 and seems nice enough... I spent $900 on my 2 piece I use on the street, is the quality good enough?
    2011 GSXR 600, #556 Novice
    2002 Honda 954rr
    2009 Honda Ruckus 200cc stroked with nitrous
    1989 Mirage aka "The Black Widow" (fast)

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Re: Choosing a set of race boots??

Quote Originally Posted by Redline View Post
    Changing the topic: Does leather race suit quality matter? I don't like buying the cheapest crap, but if there is no big difference between a $600 suit and a $2400 suit, I would rather the cheaper of the two so if I go down I am safe, but not out $2400 you know? I am looking at a Cortech Latigo suit and it is $600 and seems nice enough... I spent $900 on my 2 piece I use on the street, is the quality good enough?

There is a significant difference in the quality of suits, and the amount it matters depends on how you're going to use it.

A $2500 RS Taichi is one of the best 'off the shelf' suits you can buy. Premium leather, that is very flexible and strong. Stitching that is designed for the expected loads of a major crash, removable liner so you can wash it....the list goes on and on. If you're planning on 20+ days a year in it and keeping it for a number of years, then it's probably a wise investment. The suits are made to be repaired and re-used after a fall and there is a place in Denver (Nate Butler) that does extremely good work.

The Latigo suit you mention is one of the "sleepers" in my opinion. I have one that I use as a "rain" suit and it's been through the wringer, but held up well. The quality of the leather and armor isn't nearly as good, and in many ways it might be a "one crash" kind of suit. If you're going to do a few track days a year, or a novice race season and you're just getting your feet wet, this wouldn't be a bad choice.

There are some really junky suits out there, stuff that won't protect you well in a fall - try to avoid them.

As with everything else in the "personal safety" realm, fit is king. The best $10K airbag suit straight from Valentino's personal collection won't do you any good because it won't fit you right. Spend the time trying suits on and buy one that fits well.

Scott