Thread: Choosing a set of race boots??

Choosing a set of race boots??

I went to Performance Cycle today to try on some boots, finally found a couple sets I liked and of course they were the most expensive options! I liked the Sidi Vortice Air and the Mag 1 Air. Between the two I wear a size 45 and 46.

My question is what kind of fit should I be looking for? It is completely different than tennis shoe fit and comfort, neither were SUPER comfortable, but they aren't designed for walking around and I know that. Although it had two different sizes in the two boots, the fit was very similar, both fit well around my toes, not much forward and back room for my foot to move. Calf was a good fit. One concern was the ability for my foot/heel to move up and down in the boot, which I'm sure would not be as much of a concern with leathers going into the boots. The other concern is the size that fits the best is running very close to being to short and my toes are very close to the tip of the shoe.

Since this is a $450.00 race boot, it should last me a long time, I want to make sure I make the best decision. Just hard to compare to fitting a day to day tennis shoe..... Thanks for the input!
    2011 GSXR 600, #556 Novice
    2002 Honda 954rr
    2009 Honda Ruckus 200cc stroked with nitrous
    1989 Mirage aka "The Black Widow" (fast)

Re: Choosing a set of race boots??

brand new race boot will always be tight just like leathers until they break in, they are not going to loosen up a ton but enough to where they will be comfortable during rides and the track. go for something that's close to your shoe size
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

For fit you should have something close to your shoe size. It should be snug but not overly tight that it's uncomfortable or causing things to go to sleep. Snug is what you're going for. As stated, they will stretch and set themselves as you use them and form to your foot.

With my boot on I get very little, to zero front-to-back movement. My foot is pretty locked in for forward-back movement. This is what you want.

You want your heel to be able to move up and down a small amount. This gives you better mobility for getting on the balls of your feet and moving around the bike. However, if you can lift your heel so much that it feels like you're on your way to sliding your foot out, you have a problem.

As for your toes being close to the tip I'd say as long as it's not causing your foot to be uncomfortable then I would not be concerned.

When testing boots you want to spend a decent amount of time on the balls of your feet when trying them on. A boot can feel fine when standing, but, when you bend your toes things can bunch/pinch and cause pressure points.

I would go with the VORTICE AIR on the main reason that it has a replaceable sole as you will eventually eat through them. I've got a pair of vortice that I've had for 5+ years and they are still going strong. I've only had to replace the soles which cost $100 and had to ship them off. Something to consider.
    09 zx6r

Calf fit is also important. You want enough adjustability to be able to snug it around the leathers. Some budget boots simply do that with velcro and stretchy panels, and the higher end boots are now using cable and ratchet like snowboard boots. Wear leathers when trying on boots for the track to make sure they fit around the calf without bunching up etc.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

You want some front to back movement, like the Sidi ST Air has a flex area on the back of the Achilles which also makes walking much easier. You don't want your foot 100% restricted because this could cause more harm than good in a crash. If your bones can't give and move a little, they'll snap instead. That being said you don't want too much movement either. So find a balance point of restriction and movement.

When looking at boots, most people look over the inner protection (place next to the bike). But keep in mine when you crash, a 400lb motorcycle is going to come down on that area of the boot, so make sure it offers good protection to avoid puncturing yourself or other damage.

Get whatever one is comfortable on you, ask if they have a return policy, and return if it becomes uncomfortable after/during a ride

But definitely go to Fay Myers and try on the ST Air, I find it to be the best in price, protection and comfort
    Last edited by Snazzy; Sun Apr 26th, 2015 at 09:55 AM.
    2013 zx6r
    MRA Novice #407
    Race like a girl!

the ST air are nice, but they didn't fit well. I have a skinny foot, so hard to get a good fit. Performance said their return policy is if you wear them you own them, which makes sense. That's why I want to make the right decision. The adjust-ability of the higher end models and support in case of a crash were super nice! The Mag 1 did not have as much support, adjust-ability or replaceable components.

At performance the boots were $450, I found the same ones online for $360! Think I might just get them, since the advice on here lines up with what I was kinda thinking. I will definitely wear them around the house a bunch before they see a bike!
    2002 Honda 954rr

Alpinestars Supertech R is the most comfortable boot I've ever worn. By design it custom fits to your foot because it has an internal boot liner with ankle support equipped with a boa lacing system, very similar to a snowboard boot. They do run big, I wear a 44 which they advertise is a 9.5 but I wear a 10.5 sneaker. I was also able to replace the foot beds with some Dr. Scholls so now I'm gellin. They have replacement toe and heals, and their warranty is awesome. I was able to get a brand new pair because the toe slider broke off and I scaped a good size hole in the boot during a race. However, I don't think anyone in Denver stocks them, maybe 303 Cycle.
    Last edited by aspenbum; Sun Apr 26th, 2015 at 09:59 PM.

I tried on a pair of AlpineStars that had the same style with the lacing on the inner boot, they were ok, but I think the Alpinestars run wider than the rest, and the ones I tried on had little bracing.... I will try to find a set of those to try on!
    2002 Honda 954rr

I've had Alpinestars, TCX, and Sidi. By far the best (most comfortable) fit for my narrow feet are the Sidis.
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Glad to hear that about skinny feet! Thanks! Is there another place close to lakewood that sells them? I just need to try them on again... might buy them and wear around the house then return em and buy online for 100 bucks cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Redline View Post
    ... return em and buy online for 100 bucks cheaper.
    I think you'll find that most stores here will try and match any regular online prices. Give em the business if they are at least willing to work with you. I know, it's your money.
    my Facebook, SpeedShots

I was wanting to try that, but it is $105 difference, think they have that much room to move??
    2002 Honda 954rr

Changing the topic: Does leather race suit quality matter? I don't like buying the cheapest crap, but if there is no big difference between a $600 suit and a $2400 suit, I would rather the cheaper of the two so if I go down I am safe, but not out $2400 you know? I am looking at a Cortech Latigo suit and it is $600 and seems nice enough... I spent $900 on my 2 piece I use on the street, is the quality good enough?
    2002 Honda 954rr

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Redline View Post
    Changing the topic: Does leather race suit quality matter? I don't like buying the cheapest crap, but if there is no big difference between a $600 suit and a $2400 suit, I would rather the cheaper of the two so if I go down I am safe, but not out $2400 you know? I am looking at a Cortech Latigo suit and it is $600 and seems nice enough... I spent $900 on my 2 piece I use on the street, is the quality good enough?

There is a significant difference in the quality of suits, and the amount it matters depends on how you're going to use it.

A $2500 RS Taichi is one of the best 'off the shelf' suits you can buy. Premium leather, that is very flexible and strong. Stitching that is designed for the expected loads of a major crash, removable liner so you can wash it....the list goes on and on. If you're planning on 20+ days a year in it and keeping it for a number of years, then it's probably a wise investment. The suits are made to be repaired and re-used after a fall and there is a place in Denver (Nate Butler) that does extremely good work.

The Latigo suit you mention is one of the "sleepers" in my opinion. I have one that I use as a "rain" suit and it's been through the wringer, but held up well. The quality of the leather and armor isn't nearly as good, and in many ways it might be a "one crash" kind of suit. If you're going to do a few track days a year, or a novice race season and you're just getting your feet wet, this wouldn't be a bad choice.

There are some really junky suits out there, stuff that won't protect you well in a fall - try to avoid them.

As with everything else in the "personal safety" realm, fit is king. The best $10K airbag suit straight from Valentino's personal collection won't do you any good because it won't fit you right. Spend the time trying suits on and buy one that fits well.

Scott

Yeah I will be trying some on at Performance this weekend. They have the Alpinestar Motegi for like $800 I think.... other than that all I saw they have are over 1k bucks

I have done 2 track days a year in the past, but I am wanting to do more of them.
    2002 Honda 954rr

You can also check weraclassifeds.com or craigslist for a used suit, I seen the RS go for $500-1000. I prefer buying my suits used, get a better suit for less money.... cause I'm a poor racer and can't always afford brand new shit lol

I might have asked before, are you planning on doing a Superstreet with the MRA?
    2013 zx6r
    MRA Novice #407
    Race like a girl!

I finally retired my original SIDI's from 06', no issues with anything except a zipper tab coming off..... replaced with a small key ring for the past 5 years and no issues besides them being old. They last forever.

Got my Mag-1 Air in and damn they are nice. Was going with the Vortice for the replaceable sole but decided to give the small weight savings on the Mag-1's a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Snazzy View Post
    You can also check weraclassifeds.com or craigslist for a used suit, I seen the RS go for $500-1000. I prefer buying my suits used, get a better suit for less money.... cause I'm a poor racer and can't always afford brand new shit lol

I might have asked before, are you planning on doing a Superstreet with the MRA?
    The plan was to do Superstreet but I have been waiting since before the MRA newbie class happened to get a username and so on, so that I can sign up for everything it says is needed on the MRA new racer homepage. If it is indeed too late for that I will do a few open track days. The only hard part is the Mondays, I'm needed on Mondays at work, so hard to get outta there!!!

I've been looking for a used suit, but I don't know my size yet and feel weird trying them on and then not buying from the place that let me try them on.... You ride on the street much?
    2002 Honda 954rr