Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Horizons Spacecraft Approaches Pluto

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Re: New Horizons Spacecraft Approaches Pluto

Quote Originally Posted by rybo View Post
    Dirk -

I was thinking about the download time and the distance and speeds you're playing with and I have a question: Is the doppler effect a factor in sorting out the data? With a 1 KBPS download speed and a spacecraft traveling away from us at 31,000 mph I have to think that it's a significant issue.
    It's not a big effect, but it does have to be accounted for. The change in the wavelength divided by the (rest) wavelength is the relative speed divided by the speed of light. 31,000 mph is about 8 miles per second. The speed of light is about 186,000 miles per second. So, you can see that the effect is not huge, but it is certainly measurable.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Here is a closeup in the "heart":

Some JPEG artifacts in there, but this region really has the geologists scratching their heads.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Check out this one that is looking back at Pluto about 15 minutes after closest approach:

--Thomas Jefferson

That's gorgeous! What a mountainous little rock..
    Respect and truth trump all!
    I don't get lost. I explore.