Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Horizons Spacecraft Approaches Pluto

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

New Horizons Spacecraft Approaches Pluto

We're starting to get some cool images from our spacecraft (New Horizons) that is approaching Pluto after a 9-year flight. The close approach to the planet will be in mid-July, but we're already starting to resolve some surface features that look like ice caps. That's Pluto stationary in the center and its largest moon Charon going around it.

More details here:

http://www.nasa.gov/pluto042915
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Re: New Horizons Spacecraft Approaches Pluto

Pffft...it's only a Dwarf Planet now anyway...

Seriously, though, very cool images, with more to come. Unless the Plutonian Space Defense Force shoots down the probe...

Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

And as we approach Pluto, another mission that we have been heavily involved in is ending today when the MESSENGER spacecraft executes its final orbit around Mercury and crashes into the surface at about 1:26pm our time. It was launched in 2004 and went into orbit around Mercury in 2011. It sent back a lot of cool data, giving us the first complete view of the surface.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

This is awesome, thanks for sharing Dirk!
    Respect and truth trump all!
    I don't get lost. I explore.

Man that is some cool stuff right there
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Gold Member

So when we moving to mars?

MRA Racer No.427

Very nice. Thanks for the update and the pictures.

Marc
    84 R100RS LE, 14 Ducati MTSGT, 18 Desert Sled, 73 850 Commando, 78 CT90, 14 Ural, 74 Eldorado police, 64 R50/2, 01 DRZ400E, 94 900SS/CR, 77 HD XLCR, 2011 T100, 63 MG Falcone', 75 Ducati 860GT, 2015 Royal Enfield Classic Chrome, 2009 XR1200, 1944 Nimbus, 1989 GB500 https://lomaxcm.smugmug.com/

Dirk, you know anything about the EM drive?
    Respect and truth trump all!
    I don't get lost. I explore.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooph View Post
    Dirk, you know anything about the EM drive?
    No, I don't work with any of the propulsion stuff.

--Thomas Jefferson

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Dirk,

You might have the coolest job of any person I know.

My boys are totally geeked out on space, and want to be astronauts. I love showing them the stuff you post.

Please keep up the good work, and know that I'm writing to my representatives to encourage them to increase funding for space exploration.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by rybo View Post
    Dirk,

It has its moments.

My boys are totally geeked out on space, and want to be astronauts. I love showing them the stuff you post.

Please keep up the good work, and know that I'm writing to my representatives to encourage them to increase funding for space exploration.

Scott
    Thank you for doing that. These are very tough times for the field. I have seen so many talented people spend a decade or more in school preparing to become research scientists, only to leave the field because there simply aren't the resources to support them. By my estimation from serving on review panels and NASA and the National Science Foundation, we fund less than half of the proposed research that is deemed worthwhile by the field. Young people who dream of working in this field should be encourage, but in a realistic manner. Figures like below do not leave me encouraged about the future.

--Thomas Jefferson

We have the resources to pay for people to riot/refuse to work but not for something as important as space exploration? Oh what a f'd up world we live in... .... sure hope the funding continues and +1 with Rybo, you do have a damn cool job.
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

We're a week out from close approach and things are looking very interesting. Pluto on the right and its largest moon Charon on the left:

--Thomas Jefferson

I vote for a name change to the Event Horizon.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

That's awesome
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    ... Pluto on the right and its largest moon Charon on the left:
    That's no moon, it's a spa.. no, it's a moon.

Pluto (on the right) looks to be the same size as its moon & Charon doesn't even look like it's on the same plane as Pluto yet (of course this is hard to tell from the photo but that's what it looks like)!
    It's a celebration bitches!!! - RIP 502

Motos:
    2003 SV1000N - Dual Yosh RS3 CF Exhaust ••••• 09' Aprilia SR50 (Wife's) ••••• 93' ZX-11 - Sold after 43k Miles
    Cars:
    08' Audi S5 6MT •••• 10' VW TDI Cup Edition 6MT •••• 02' VW TDI Beetle 5MT •••• 07' Ford Explorer

Medicaid, Medicare, Obamacare, and Social Security are not entitlements. People pay into those programs their entire lives - and a lot of folks never get a dime of that money back.

Just sayin'.

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Generic's Avatar

Dirk,

Scott
    Just want to re-inforce this, I love space and my daughter is getting interested. I can't wait to see where it takes her.
    2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Close approach is tomorrow morning. This is a shot from July 11. The bit rate from that far out is pretty slow so it will take a year or so to get all of the data back.

Last edited by dirkterrell; Mon Jul 13th, 2015 at 12:44 PM.

--Thomas Jefferson

Closest approach to Pluto was about two hours ago. The spacecraft is furiously taking data right now, and will phone home in about 11 hours. Hopefully we'll have some really nice images of the surface shortly thereafter.

--Thomas Jefferson

Here is the color picture taken before the spacecraft went into its encounter sequence:

--Thomas Jefferson

Too cool man
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

What is the radio lag at this point?
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"